PDA

View Full Version : Wofford vs New Hampshire (pre?)game thread

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yes yes, I am aware, the game is not for another 11 days or so, but prognostication and discussion is something that's never too early to engage in....

This game should be interesting, on one side you have the high powered offense of New Hampshire that can light up a scoreboard and on the other side you have the Wofford triple option.

I like Wofford in this game (shocker). New Hampshire doesn't have a very good defense, and for the first time in at least a month Wofford plays a football game A)Against a statistically great defense B)against a defense that has seen the option twice before playing Wofford and C)With a fully healthy offense. Don't be surprised if Wofford breaks their recent strut of scoring less than 24 of the last month.

On the other side of the ball, I don't know what to expect. Wofford hasn't really seen an offense like UNH, but at the same time I like the paper-tiger aspects. Based on what little highlights I've seen, UNH likes to run the ball on the perimeter, like Oregon. In my opinion, Wofford has one of the best Outside linebacking units in the country with players with 3 years+ worth of playing experience, as well as the All-American Scieaneux, so that approach will be difficult. Just look at the film of USC, the perimeter is not the ideal place to attack. Wofford has a really good run defense, and if that trend continues it could be a long day for UNH as Wofford's secondary doesn't allow the cheap stuff. On top of this, we'll have to see which will give in first, UNH's high scoring ability, or Wofford's defensive ability. UNH is a high scoring offense, but Wofford's defense only allows about 15 points per game.

Sadly, I won't be able to attend the game because of a prior engagement (but I think if SDSU beats NDSU and Wofford beats UNH we'll get another home game due to an aggressive bid), but I'll be sure to look for as many updates as possible. I'm confident my terriers will be motivated to beat a CAA team for the first time in the playoffs as well as win their first home playoff game in about 9 years.

Any other thoughts?

citdog
November 20th, 2012, 11:06 PM
There is no excuse for missing this game. You can lose your virginity another time.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 12:28 AM
Yes yes, I am aware, the game is not for another 11 days or so, but prognostication and discussion is something that's never too early to engage in....

This game should be interesting, on one side you have the high powered offense of New Hampshire that can light up a scoreboard and on the other side you have the Wofford triple option.

I like Wofford in this game (shocker). New Hampshire doesn't have a very good defense, and for the first time in at least a month Wofford plays a football game A)Against a statistically great defense B)against a defense that has seen the option twice before playing Wofford and C)With a fully healthy offense. Don't be surprised if Wofford breaks their recent strut of scoring less than 24 of the last month.

On the other side of the ball, I don't know what to expect. Wofford hasn't really seen an offense like UNH, but at the same time I like the paper-tiger aspects. Based on what little highlights I've seen, UNH likes to run the ball on the perimeter, like Oregon. In my opinion, Wofford has one of the best Outside linebacking units in the country with players with 3 years+ worth of playing experience, as well as the All-American Scieaneux, so that approach will be difficult. Just look at the film of USC, the perimeter is not the ideal place to attack. Wofford has a really good run defense, and if that trend continues it could be a long day for UNH as Wofford's secondary doesn't allow the cheap stuff. On top of this, we'll have to see which will give in first, UNH's high scoring ability, or Wofford's defensive ability. UNH is a high scoring offense, but Wofford's defense only allows about 15 points per game.

Sadly, I won't be able to attend the game because of a prior engagement (but I think if SDSU beats NDSU and Wofford beats UNH we'll get another home game due to an aggressive bid), but I'll be sure to look for as many updates as possible. I'm confident my terriers will be motivated to beat a CAA team for the first time in the playoffs as well as win their first home playoff game in about 9 years.

Any other thoughts?
Since when does aggressive bid and Wofford get mentioned in the same sentence? I think you are safe to plan on seeing another Terrier game in the quarterfinals. I'm just wondering how many yards Breitenstein will go for in this one and how many points Wofford will score.

UNH Fanboi
November 21st, 2012, 12:56 AM
I think you are safe to plan on seeing another Terrier game in the quarterfinals. I'm just wondering how many yards Breitenstein will go for in this one and how many points Wofford will score.

I wouldn't write off UNH so easily. We are 6-2 in the first round of the playoffs in the last 8 years and all but one of those wins were on the road. The two losses were a three-point loss to #1 UNI at the UNI-Dump and last year's one-point loss to MSU in Bozeman on a missed PAT. Yes our defense is terrible, but this is not a beauty contest. 64-61 is as good as 20-17. Also, even if UNH is a weak team, Wofford hasn't exactly dominated all of the weaker teams on their schedule (Furman, Chatty, etc.).

blueballs
November 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Wofford is physical and well coached. Their defense is salty. What they aren't is overly fast on offense.

I've seen both of these teams play and like Wofford in this match up... IMO this is not the optimal match up for UNH and it is a good match up for Wofford.

TSU86
November 21st, 2012, 05:52 AM
Ahhhh .... the "How are these teams in, and not Towson Bowl"

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2012, 06:39 AM
UNH will be competitive in this game if the time of possession is REASONABLE. Their front-7 isn't as bad as it looks from the Towson/ODU games, but the problem was that the offense hung them out to dry with 3 and outs and quick drives. Wofford doesn't have a quick-strike offense like ODU, who just exhausted us by spreading us out, but I think UNH's worst case scenario is that Wofford gets 4-5 yards every play and has a bunch of 10-12 play TD drives.

UNH's offense will decide the whole game, both offensively and defensively. UNH had only 5 drives that weren't 3 and outs against Towson out of 13 (they scored TD's on 4 of those 5 drives). They need more of those 3 and outs to become multiple series before punts. Again, if the T.O.P. is something like 33-27 in Wofford's favor, I expect UNH will be in the game. If it's 40/20 like it was against Towson, it may be a route.

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2012, 07:18 AM
I have no idea how this will turn out. Just when I think UNH is terrible and they have no shot, they turn it around and play a great game. Plus Coach Mac always has his teams ready come playoffs. This UNH team has no shot at a title (unless some crazy coaching changes take effect), but they will be competitive come Dec 1st.

Ill take Wofford as of today though.

NHwildEcat
November 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Ahhhh .... the "How are these teams in, and not Towson Bowl"

Enjoy your LSU money.

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Since when does aggressive bid and Wofford get mentioned in the same sentence? I think you are safe to plan on seeing another Terrier game in the quarterfinals. I'm just wondering how many yards Breitenstein will go for in this one and how many points Wofford will score.

Didn't they outbid Georgia Southern a couple of years ago or did GSU just not want to host that game? That always confused me how Wofford got a hold of hosting that quarterfinal game.

TSU86
November 21st, 2012, 09:17 AM
Enjoy your LSU money.

You guys know who is the better representative ..... that said, agreed on the LSU comment (or kent).

Eaglesrus
November 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Didn't they outbid Georgia Southern a couple of years ago or did GSU just not want to host that game? That always confused me how Wofford got a hold of hosting that quarterfinal game.

Our AD screwed up at the time. As I understand it, he was thinking that we only had to submit one bid that applied to all potential games, instead of submitting a bid for each game. In any case we unintentionally ended up not bidding on that game.

GlassOnion
November 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM
Our AD screwed up at the time. As I understand it, he was thinking that we only had to submit one bid that applied to all potential games, instead of submitting a bid for each game. In any case we unintentionally ended up not bidding on that game.

Im going to save this.

All this time, and I thought it was Charlie Cobb's fault! Imagine, an AD for the 6x Nat Champs not knowing how the bid process works, but then again, it may have just faded from memory from lack of use in recent years.. :D

GlassOnion
November 21st, 2012, 09:31 AM
There is no excuse for missing this game. You can lose your virginity another time.

Maybe for some here, everytime is like the first time. xawesomex

citdog
November 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM
This will be the worst defeat for yankees on the sacred soil of South Carolina since Battery Wagner.

NHwildEcat
November 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM
You guys know who is the better representative ..... that said, agreed on the LSU comment (or kent).

If Towson had 8 wins then they would be in. And SBU probably wouldn't be. I still see UNH in either way. Kent is a game that is winnable IMO. LSU is strictly a play for $$$.

Eaglesrus
November 21st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Im going to save this.

All this time, and I thought it was Charlie Cobb's fault! Imagine, an AD for the 6x Nat Champs not knowing how the bid process works, but then again, it may have just faded from memory from lack of use in recent years.. :D

I, for one, never claimed we had a stellar AD, though he certainly did make some significant contributions to our program. For the edification of the person who asked the question I probably should have added that said AD is no longer in that position.

GlassOnion
November 21st, 2012, 10:05 AM
I, for one, never claimed we had a stellar AD, though he certainly did make some significant contributions to our program. For the edification of the person who asked the question I probably should have added that said AD is no longer in that position.

Just pokin' fun at ya. I am interested in what his significant contributions were though. I visit the flightline fairly frequently and it seemed Baker had managed to alienate a majority of potential donors, and had pretty much held football facilities at status quo, and hired the now infamous Van Goober, then tried Hatcher, with some weird pass happy scheme which didnt make much sense...

terrierbob
November 21st, 2012, 10:15 AM
Eaglesrus:

Well, you won, didn't you? :)

blueballs
November 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM

... which is a nice way of saying the AD demonstrated gross negligence and incompetence in the matter.

Eaglesrus
November 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just pokin' fun at ya. I am interested in what his significant contributions were though. I visit the flightline fairly frequently and it seemed Baker had managed to alienate a majority of potential donors, and had pretty much held football facilities at status quo, and hired the now infamous Van Goober, then tried Hatcher, with some weird pass happy scheme which didnt make much sense...

I don't know how you would measure "alienating a majority of potential donors", but certainly many, probably most, actual donors became extremely frustrated with him. However, he ran a tight fiscal ship, oversaw a very good make-over of our baseball facility, the construction of a golf facility that, while I've never seen it, I'm told is second to none at our level. While he won't be AD when it's done, and some would not give him any credit for it at all, it is under his watch that the current project that will add what promises to be an impressive football operations center got underway. I'm not by any means saying that the good outweighs the bad, but there is good to be found.

Eaglesrus
November 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM
Eaglesrus:

Well, you won, didn't you? :)

Yeah, and the other highlight of that weekend was getting to meet you, tb xthumbsupx

terrierbob
November 21st, 2012, 10:29 AM
Wofford is physical and well coached. Their defense is salty. What they aren't is overly fast on offense.

I've seen both of these teams play and like Wofford in this match up... IMO this is not the optimal match up for UNH and it is a good match up for Wofford.

One of your fans (Talon Talk) said that if we had some creativity on offense, we'd be scary. I think the conservatism we had in the 'boro this year was due to QB issues. Mitch Allen was sneaky fast; Brian Kass knows the offense but is slower. The Weimer kid looks great, but he's had a bunch of knee problems. We're playing a decent 3rd stringer (James Lawson) now. SO... it's Breitenstein right, Breitenstein left, etc. EB got 125 yards against U. S Car. Admittedly, Javedon Clowney didn't play, but I'm still proud of the bearded wonder.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't write off UNH so easily. We are 6-2 in the first round of the playoffs in the last 8 years and all but one of those wins were on the road. The two losses were a three-point loss to #1 UNI at the UNI-Dump and last year's one-point loss to MSU in Bozeman on a missed PAT. Yes our defense is terrible, but this is not a beauty contest. 64-61 is as good as 20-17. Also, even if UNH is a weak team, Wofford hasn't exactly dominated all of the weaker teams on their schedule (Furman, Chatty, etc.).

Well considering we beat more than one team with a winning record, I don't think we can compare schedules and say that just because we haven't dominated certain teams that we're at a disadvantage.

Also, Chatty is not a weak team, and I would wager they are better than 7 of your victories.

Of the 3 teams UNH has played with a winning record, they are 1-2 (no victories over playoff teams) and have allowed no fewer than 40 points defensively. Wofford has at least beaten a playoff team, as well as teams that were on the bubble, or at least played respectively (The Citadel, Chatty, ASU, and a last second loss to Samford).

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
I love how I start a thread not involving GSU in the slightest and GSU is brought up for roughly half of the comments.

Lehigh'98
November 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Well considering we beat more than one team with a winning record, I don't think we can compare schedules and say that just because we haven't dominated certain teams that we're at a disadvantage.

Also, Chatty is not a weak team, and I would wager they are better than 7 of your victories.

Of the 3 teams UNH has played with a winning record, they are 1-2 (no victories over playoff teams) and have allowed no fewer than 40 points defensively. Wofford has at least beaten a playoff team, as well as teams that were on the bubble, or at least played respectively (The Citadel, Chatty, ASU, and a last second loss to Samford).

I don't think he said you were at a disadvantage, just not to write off UNH. I would have the pointspread at -4 for Wofford due to home field, but think UNH has a great shot.

TSU86
November 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
If Towson had 8 wins then they would be in. And SBU probably wouldn't be. I still see UNH in either way. Kent is a game that is winnable IMO. LSU is strictly a play for $$$.

I can't blame anyone for scheduling a MAC team, because that is a winnable game (although from what I've seen, kent is a pretty good tean this year)
Kent + LSU = trouble

Sam_Kats
November 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I've got Wofford making a deep run so I'm going Terriers here.

james_lawfirm
November 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Wofford will run over UNH. Not much point in even playing this game.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Enjoy your LSU money.
xlolx

frozennorth
November 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM
I predict many many points, so inevitably the final score with be 10-7 unh.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM

Trust me, the LSU game was more winnable than the Kent State was. KSU was a lot better than any of us expected and the Golden Flashes are 10-1 and playing in the MAC championship game. Kent State was real good on both the offensive and defensive lines.

P.S. Kent State's stadium reminded me of Tubby Raymond Field. It was even blue and gold. The only major difference was it had a decent press box, which of course, Delaware Stadium does not.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
I love how I start a thread not involving GSU in the slightest and GSU is brought up for roughly half of the comments.

It was your fault for the aggressive bid comment.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM
It was your fault for the aggressive bid comment.

um, no, saying Wofford put forth an aggressive financial bid for a playoff game this year (which is rumored) in no way, shape, or form invites the subject to be changed to GSU.

That has no logical coherence.

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM
35-31 UNH

Mattymc727
November 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
89-6 Wofford

Twentysix
November 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
89-6 Wofford

Thats a negative six for UNH right?

Mattymc727
November 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thats a negative six for UNH right?

I was thinking 3 safeties. In all honesty though, after watching the UNH/Towson game in person, I dont see UNH winning. Unless there is some great coaching and some dramatic change in effort, I see Wofford controlling the clock and keeping UNH offense off the field. Ive been wrong plenty before though!

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I was thinking 3 safeties. In all honesty though, after watching the UNH/Towson game in person, I dont see UNH winning. Unless there is some great coaching and some dramatic change in effort, I see Wofford controlling the clock and keeping UNH offense off the field. Ive been wrong plenty before though!

I see the same thing really. Nothing against the CAA or UNH, I'm sure they are capable of winning this game (and I'm scared of a worst case scenario sort of thing...I'll eat my crow if necessary), but the CAA seems really like an offensive league this year with very little defense (which is weird because literally a couple years ago the perception of them was the opposite) and I think that is sort of a big deal. I would be surprised if more than one CAA team made it to the next round.

I think this game will be a lot like the Elon vs Wofford game in that UNH will likely get their points, but I think Wofford will get a few stops and points early and UNH will be playing catch up most of the day. I just have a hard time thinking UNH will stop Wofford unless Wofford turns the ball over more than once or twice. We're more healthy now than we've been in literally months and statistically UNH is the worst defense we've played, minus Western Carolina and D2 Lincoln. Take that with the fact that we don't get beat deep and we don't let teams run on us too much. It could be the perfect storm for Wofford

I could be wrong about all of this, I'm just saying the way I see it. I think it will be in the area of Wofford 42-31 or something like that. At the same time, it's within the realms of possibility that UNH wins this game, I just don't think they do so without scoring 40 or more on a very good defense.

PS: I get to go to the game afterall :)

crabby terrier
November 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
UNH will be competitive in this game if the time of possession is REASONABLE. Their front-7 isn't as bad as it looks from the Towson/ODU games, but the problem was that the offense hung them out to dry with 3 and outs and quick drives. Wofford doesn't have a quick-strike offense like ODU, who just exhausted us by spreading us out, but I think UNH's worst case scenario is that Wofford gets 4-5 yards every play and has a bunch of 10-12 play TD drives. UNH's offense will decide the whole game, both offensively and defensively. UNH had only 5 drives that weren't 3 and outs against Towson out of 13 (they scored TD's on 4 of those 5 drives). They need more of those 3 and outs to become multiple series before punts. Again, if the T.O.P. is something like 33-27 in Wofford's favor, I expect UNH will be in the game. If it's 40/20 like it was against Towson, it may be a route.

umm, that is the definition of wofford football. xintx :p

GO TERRIERS!!!

Gordon Shumway
November 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Well, hopefully with two weeks to prepare, UNH can find a way to at least slow down the Wofford run game. You can't & don't have to stop it, just slow it down some as the Terriers haven't had a lot of practice throwing the ball. Heinicke from ODU attempted more passes (79) in one game against UNH than Wofford has attempted all year (75), and he completed more as well. 17288

crabby terrier
November 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
our passes come when the D least expects them!
hehehe...:D

GO TERRIERS!!!

dungeonjoe
November 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM
"Pass?" What is that concept? Is that like a forward pitch? You people and your new fangled ways...The next thing you know you will be hitting the ball forcefully with your foot on the fourth down.

OLDMAIN80
November 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Bump

theasushow
November 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Just abandoning my own team's thread to come over here and say that Wofford will dominate every aspect of this game and the SOCON is by far tougher and stronger than any other conference hands down. If you want I can go look up Wofford's players high school 100 meter dash times, just to further prove that they are faster than UNH and this game will probably be over by halftime.

unhfan1
November 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Insightful comment.......NOT........

theasushow
November 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Insightful comment.......NOT........

I couldn't agree more. (see the last 10 pages of the ASU-ISU game thread)

dungeonjoe
November 28th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Breitenstein comment that I found insightful:
"We do a lot of different things out of a lot of different formations," said Breitenstein, the two-time Southern Conference offensive player of the year. "You hear announcers say teams run the ball to set up the play-action pass. A lot of what we do is run the ball to set up other running plays. We run the ball a million different ways out of a million different formations. If something isn't working we'll go to something else. We run the ball to set up the play-action run I guess you could say. People know it's coming, but it's pretty hard to stop the way we do it."

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Breitenstein comment that I found insightful:
"We do a lot of different things out of a lot of different formations," said Breitenstein, the two-time Southern Conference offensive player of the year. "You hear announcers say teams run the ball to set up the play-action pass. A lot of what we do is run the ball to set up other running plays. We run the ball a million different ways out of a million different formations. If something isn't working we'll go to something else. We run the ball to set up the play-action run I guess you could say. People know it's coming, but it's pretty hard to stop the way we do it."

UNH72Plus
November 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
There's little doubt that Breitenstein is a quality back. That being said, in the first four FCS games against teams with a combined record of 10-34 he ran for an average of 214+ yards per game. When Wofford got into the meat of its schedule, playing five teams with winning records, his average dropped to 127 yards per game. As a team, in the first five games (including one against 1-9 D-II Lincoln) they averaged 448.8 yards rushing per game; in the next five games they averaged 265 yards per game and they lost two of those games and won another in ovet time. The rushing defense of the league in general is pedistrian at best with four of the worst in the FCS (W. Carolina 120th, Elon 113th, Citadel 111th, and ASU 100th). Granted this is skewed somewhat by the fact that three of the teams are virtually run only teams.

As has been noted elsewhere, Wofford is susceptible to the pass, having given up 361 yards to Elon and 302 yards to W. Carolina. I Think a lot of people, UNH fans included, are selling the team short, and I predict they will make a game of it.

Mattymc727
November 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
There's little doubt that Breitenstein is a quality back. That being said, in the first four FCS games against teams with a combined record of 10-34 he ran for an average of 214+ yards per game. When Wofford got into the meat of its schedule, playing five teams with winning records, his average dropped to 127 yards per game. As a team, in the first five games (including one against 1-9 D-II Lincoln) they averaged 448.8 yards rushing per game; in the next five games they averaged 265 yards per game and they lost two of those games and won another in ovet time. The rushing defense of the league in general is pedistrian at best with four of the worst in the FCS (W. Carolina 120th, Elon 113th, Citadel 111th, and ASU 100th). Granted this is skewed somewhat by the fact that three of the teams are virtually run only teams.

As has been noted elsewhere, Wofford is susceptible to the pass, having given up 361 yards to Elon and 302 yards to W. Carolina. I Think a lot of people, UNH fans included, are selling the team short, and I predict they will make a game of it.

Great post 72

gsu2583
November 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Looks like the box score said WCU had 335 passing yards against Wofford. I mean... damn... it's WCU.

That being said, I'm pulling for the SoCon side of this matchup.

gsu2583
November 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Looks like the box score said WCU had 335 passing yards against Wofford. I mean... damn... it's WCU.

That being said, I'm pulling for the SoCon side of this matchup.

But then again, I wouldn't want NDSU to see another option team IF we got that far.

Hmmm, conflicted....

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Can we compare the defenses UNH has played to the defenses Wofford has played? Because it doesn't matter, I will anyway.

Holy Cross: 94
Central Connecticut State: 78
Old Dominion: 75
Delaware: 63
Georgia State: (not listed on TSN from what I can see, but considering they are 1-10, I'm willing to bet they're pretty bad)
Richmond: 70
Maine:40
Rhode Island:114
William and Mary: 45
Towson: 17
(let's not neglect to mention that UNH's defense is 104th)

Compared to Wofford's schedule
Gardner Webb: 101
Western Carolina: 119
Elon: 70
Furman:81
GSU:27
App State:92
Citadel: 66
Samford:30
Chattanooga: 10
USC-SEC defense enough said

Wofford's total defense is 22

I don't think it's a viable argument from a UNH perspective that Wofford has a poor offense because we only did well against sucky defenses when UNH put up great numbers on terrible defenses as well but whenever they played anything resembling an average defense, they struggled.

There are multiple factors as to why Wofford performed poorly in the last 5 games, and it wasn't as simple of an evaluation as saying we played better defenses. I think one could make a statistical case that in the socon, when playing an option team for the third time, one's chances of beating or slowing down their offense increase exponentially, especially since the Citadel has improved on offense. Look at App the last 2 year, I bet if you trade Wofford for GSU on the schedule, they lose to GSU but beat Wofford. The point is, if you see the option 3x a season, you're defense is going to mold to defend it better. Now, with that said, add in the fact that Wofford in their last stretch of games played GREAT defense or defenses that played the option in practice, and its no surprise that we didn't perform on par. What's worse is when we're down to our third string quarterback and without our 2nd and 3rd best running back for the last 2 or 3 games of conference game, in a run heavy offense.

Then, look at what Wofford did to USC. We outgained them and EB BY HIMSELF ran for more yards than any other TEAM has run on USC the whole year.

The bottom line is that being familiar with the option is a very good tool to defend it and conference opponents are going to be better at it as the year goes on. OOC teams do not have that advantage.

To put it bluntly, we're the third best defense you've played and you're the third worst defense we've played. both teams are going to be out of their element, in that situation, I will take the team that plays defense.

I like Wofford's chances in this game because we're getting healthy, having pretty much everybody who wasn't out for the year due to injury back, which is HUGE, especially with Donovan Johnson back and Michael Weimer (who both had huge games against App, only to subsequently be hurt).

As for our defense being susceptible to the pass....I don't buy that. Elon is a pass first team anyway, and we controlled that game from the outset, giving up 360 yards is no big deal. We were up 42-7 on Western early in the third and took our foot off of the accelerator, putting the backups in, and they had no choice but to pass.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM

the longer this week goes by, the more I like UNH'S chances in this game.....initially I was taking Woffy but 72 has convinced me that UNH can score on Wofford and of course the only question is how much will they need to score, I will day 38-35 New Hampshire in a mild upset

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
bump.

Another key statistic:

Terrance West of Towson had about 235 yards rushing (or something like that) on 19 carries. Granted Towson runs a different offense and they were 20-28 passing in that game (more completions than Wofford will even attempt I will wager), but if EB carries for 10 ypc, it's going to be a long day for Hew Hampshire....

Heck, if he carries for more than ypc, I will bet it will be a long day for UNH.

Mattymc727
November 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM
UNH is not going to be able to stop Wofford from gaining rushing yards. UNH showing up Saturday in Spartanburg and holding Wofford to 100 yards just isnt going to happen. They key is, can UNH force a few key Wofford turnovers while maintaining that 35 points per game average on offense.

The only chance UNH has IMO is if the Wildcats do what they do on offense, score 35-40, and force 3 Terrier turnovers. The UNH d has relied heavily on turnovers all season

dungeonjoe
November 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
UNH is not going to be able to stop Wofford from gaining rushing yards. UNH showing up Saturday in Spartanburg and holding Wofford to 100 yards just isnt going to happen. They key is, can UNH force a few key Wofford turnovers while maintaining that 35 points per game average on offense.

The only chance UNH has IMO is if the Wildcats do what they do on offense, score 35-40, and force 3 Terrier turnovers. The UNH d has relied heavily on turnovers all season

You are right from the UNH perspective. Whoever can keep to their game plan and commit the fewest mistakes wins the game. Isn't that one of the most obvious statements in sports?

Mattymc727
November 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
You are right from the UNH perspective. Whoever can keep to their game plan and commit the fewest mistakes wins the game. Isn't that one of the most obvious statements in sports?

Perhaps, I do know however that Matt Ryan threw 5 interceptions against the Arizona Cardinals a few weeks ago, and the Falcons still won....

UNH72Plus
November 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
h
bump.

Another key statistic:

Terrance West of Towson had about 235 yards rushing (or something like that) on 19 carries. Granted Towson runs a different offense and they were 20-28 passing in that game (more completions than Wofford will even attempt I will wager), but if EB carries for 10 ypc, it's going to be a long day for Hew Hampshire....

Heck, if he carries for more than ypc, I will bet it will be a long day for UNH.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that UNH has even a mediocre defense, however their rushing defense has been significantly better then their pass D (Terrance West not withstanding), and with less likelihood of a significant passing attack to worry about, they may just man up and produce. I doubt that Wofford has much experience playing D against a team like UNH who has a good passing game and three talented running backs. You're correct that they didn't face many good defenses, but they did score 35 points in a turnover-laden loss to Towson (#10 in total D) and average 39 points per game against FCS teams.

And just for the record, while EB may have averaged 10 yards per carry for the year, in the last 5 FCS games he averaged 5.2 ypg. He's still a hell of a player and will likely be the key to whoever wins the games. I'm looking forward to hunkering down in front of the TV on Saturday!!

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 05:01 PM

I would agree. Wofford plays exceptionally well in the playoffs against teams that don't play the option often, but we've stubbed our toe with turnovers in the past. Games that come to mind, Richmond, UNI, Montana, among others.

Wofford has done well in the last few games with keeping their hands on the football, before going into USC, we had 9 turnovers in 10 games, only to fumble 3 times in that game. Hopefully, that won't become a trend.

To me, the key is not Wofford's offense vs UNH's defense, I think we've established that. I'm more interested in how Wofford's defense will do against UNH's offense. Wofford's defense is the second best FCS defense UNH has played, and when UNH has played better defenses they have struggled (Maine and W&M are statistically the 2nd and 3rd best, and held UNH to under 30 points). I think if Wofford can get a few three and outs early, they'll be in good shape.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
h

I don't think anyone is going to argue that UNH has even a mediocre defense, however their rushing defense has been significantly better then their pass D (Terrance West not withstanding), and with less likelihood of a significant passing attack to worry about, they may just man up and produce. I doubt that Wofford has much experience playing D against a team like UNH who has a good passing game and three talented running backs. You're correct that they didn't face many good defenses, but they did score 35 points in a turnover-laden loss to Towson (#10 in total D) and average 39 points per game against FCS teams.

And just for the record, while EB may have averaged 10 yards per carry for the year, in the last 5 FCS games he averaged 5.2 ypg. He's still a hell of a player and will likely be the key to whoever wins the games. I'm looking forward to hunkering down in front of the TV on Saturday!!

Come down to Sparkle City, there are seats open.

UNH72Plus
November 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Come down to Sparkle City, there are seats open.

I was close during Thanskgiving (Wilmington, NC), but I'm afraid I'll have to settle for ESPN3 on Saturday.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Bump, this got all the way to page 3...yikes

Wofford Dude from Montana
December 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Best of luck Terrier Nation.
Hope the crowd is large and loud.
Go Dogs!

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Here we go UNH!

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Wow

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM
UNH with the worst drive I've ever seen, 3 and out to start.

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
LOL

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
4th and 1, Wofford breaks a 55 yard Touchdown. Almost untouched.

7-0 Wofford.

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
This is likely going to be a very long day, especially if they go for it on 4th all day long... which they should.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:19 PM
Good lord. UNH gets sacked, and will have to punt again. UNH looks very bad.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
I hate this team, how do you get worse over the course of a season?

dwtime
December 1st, 2012, 01:24 PM
Had him behind the line of scrimmage same old story for the Cats you have to make the easy tackles

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
UNH has no idea how to play the triple option.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM
AND RIGHT ON CUE UNH RECOVERS A FUMBLE!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM
UNH needed that in the worst way.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Vailas BIG completion to Orlando to the UNH 45!

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Why are we taking Vailas out?

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Vailas throws 1 pass for a big gain, Goldrich is 0 for 4. PLAY VAILAS.

As an aside, Rocky Boiman on PBP is great.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Wofford pinning their ears back and bringing massive pressure on QB. UNH really struggling on offense overall.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have no idea how it's not 21-0 Wofford right now; two fumbles now for Wofford have caused a turnover and a punt..UNH will take over down 7 at their 9.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
UNH driving, but fumbles...ugh.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
UNH holds on fourth down!

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM
UNH needs to cut out the cutesy/trick play stuff. So frustrating to watch.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 01:56 PM
U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi....

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Jesus, Wofford fumbles AGAIN, UNH ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
How many fumbles is that now? 4 by Wofford? 1 by UNH?

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM
That cornerback #4 is good.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM
8 fumbles, 3 lost by both sides.

dwtime
December 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Jesus you gotta catch that pass!!!

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
UNH driving, inside Wofford's 35.

dwtime
December 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Good Harris makes one

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Nice catch by #15 of UNH over the middle to keep the sticks moving, in the middle of nickel/dime coverage,.

WrenFGun
...annnnd, Goldrich throws an INT. This is ****ing ridiciulous.

dwtime
great....

R3TRO
This game is ridiculous.

WrenFGun
He threw it off Tarek Odom's head, and it got INT'd.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Just as things start to look up... a pass off a helmet it nabbed by Alvin Scioneaux. INT. Four turnovers this half.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Im now convinced the bye week is a terrible thing at this level

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't know RWU. You have to credit Wofford's defense. They're playing very well.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 02:09 PM
Oh absolutely, they look great. Im saying on both teams its been a sloppy start

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
Half the distance with that horsecollar.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM
14-0 Wofford. Can't fault the defense, really. Offense has blown this one.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Parting of the sea? Breitenstein goes into the end zone unimpeded.

Fittingly, an XP off the upright makes it Wofford 13, UNH 0. What an ugly half of ball.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Goldrich sucks today

R3TRO
OK.. time for Goldrich to come out.

Mattymc727
And i said that before the awful pick

Lehigh Football Nation
Another INT by UNH. Nice play by 45 to come down with it.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Goldrich has been HORRENDOUS. Throws another INT.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Wofford has 22 seconds and 1 TO. A shot at another score.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Nice run out of bounds to the 29. 15 seconds left, and 1 TO. Out pattern?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
8 runs to the 20. UNH defender rips off his helmet. No flag, incredibly.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Breitenstein runs up the middle, 2 more yards, will allow a FG attempt. Well done by Ayers to make this makeable.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Redfern misses a FG as time expires, and UNH is somehow down ONLY 13-0. It should be 35-0.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
34 yard attempt is no good. Wofford 13, UNH 0, halftime.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
my oh my, Wofford dominating UNH in every aspect except for that kicker, but still only 13-0 at the half

unhfan1
December 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Please play Vailas in the second half! That being said, Wofford has more talent than UNH....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Please play Vailas in the second half! That being said, Wofford has more talent than UNH....

Trouble is they're giving you a lot of presents in your own right.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Second half almost underway. And NDSU/SDSU and Cal Poly/SHSU will be starting soon. This is the problem with the way the games are staggered out. Six games, impossible to follow them all.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM
I never thought UNH would be shut out in the first half, where's that MCD magic?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Nice option pitch to 30 and a 10 yard gain. One shoestring tackle away from breaking it.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Really needed a 3 and out to start given Wofford started at their 10. Didn't get it.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:50 PM
fdjldsjflkjsfkljsflksdj. TOUCHDOWN UNH!!!! FUMBLE BY WOFFORD RETURNED FOR TD WOWOWOW!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Wow. Great play by the UNH defense to force the fumble and scoop and score!

54 with the tackle of No. 8.. 36 with the scoop and score

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
XP is good! 13-7 Wofford.

What a READ by Buzbee to force a fumble. Played it PERFECTLY.

A Wofford penalty that moved from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6 was the reason, IMO.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Singlehandedly UNH is back in this game. ANd sorry. 96 with the scoop and score.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Buzbee, any relation to Alex Buzbee, the former Georgetown DE?

OxSoxUNH05
December 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
UNH defense has stepped up. Can the O get it together

citdog
December 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM
Parting of the sea? Breitenstein goes into the end zone unimpeded. .

did you just make a Jew joke? if so nicely done.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 02:54 PM
God, Wofford gets a good spot and then Breitenstein busts it for 45 to the UNH 25. Ugh.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:55 PM
It's not subtle, but Breitenstein bowls through a hole and rumbles to the UNH 25. Great run!

Grizalltheway
did you just make a Jew joke? if so nicely done.

How do you fit 6 million Jews in a Volkswagen?

WrenFGun
TD Eric Breitenstein. He is so good at finding the holes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
TD Wofford....that was easy...

Lehigh Football Nation
Next play, same play. Touchdown Wofford. So much for momentum.

OxSoxUNH05
Forget my previous statement

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM
Big-time response from Wofford, and smart move by Ayers, giving the rock to the guy that got them there, Breitenstein.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 02:57 PM
Unh needs to score here on o.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
Big 3rd down for UNH.... and 5 converts on the QB draw. He had to make that play.

dwtime
December 1st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Nice blocking cats, 5 offensive lineman and 1 db and he makes an easy tackle........geez

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wofford's DB's are the best tacklers I've seen in FCS. Remarkable.

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 03:07 PM
They have an impressive defense. I wish UNH could get there some day.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM
You can add the Oline to things that suck. Offensive Coordinator stayed home today.

Lehigh Football Nation
As good as their tackling is, their ability to find the holes in the UNH "O" line is remarkable. Lawford gets Terrier's 5th sack on the afternoon.

Mattymc727
Bad day for the oline.

citdog
How do you fit 6 million Jews in a Volkswagen?

superglue a nickle to the back floorboard?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Nice misdirection by 14, had UNH defense fooled and he hit the hole perfectly. Wofford near UNH red zone again.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
UNH playing for their lives now. They have to stop Wofford here.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
4th down at the UNH 15, and Wofford is attempting a FG. I might have gone for it here.

WrenFGun
Wofford tacks 3 on; this drive is the game for UNH, with 3:30 to go and the score 23-7.

Lehigh Football Nation
Redfern nails the 27 yard FG, and it's 23-7 Wofford with 3ish left in the 3Q.

furpal87
December 1st, 2012, 03:16 PM
FG there means UNH needs 2 8's to tie

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
Wow. Wofford's defense is the best I've seen this season. Absolutely fantastic.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Two incompletions might be it for Wildcats. Punt.

Mattymc727
December 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Great game by wofford. Other then a few miscues on offense, they have looked great

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
I love watching football teams like that. Wofford is extremely well coached, they execute on offense and defense, and their defense is really fundamentally sound.

UNH's defense has been about as good as could be expected here, but the offense has continued to suck.

There is a talent disparity, but more than that, Wofford is just much, much better coached, especially on defense.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM
Great game by wofford. Other then a few miscues on offense, they have looked great

They were giving away the game in the first half. 3 TOs. Second half they have looked great though.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
4th down stop by UNH keeps the game alive for the Wildcats.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cody Muller gets a big sack on 4th to give UNH another shot with 12:44 to go, down 16. They'll take the ball at their 40, which is basically where their drives have gone to die.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Seriously, the OC has been TERRIBLE for UNH today.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
HOLY CRAP UNH gets inside the 40 yard line of Wofford. MIRACLE. Vailas with a great play to keep a 3rd and long alive.

R3TRO
December 1st, 2012, 03:37 PM
I would like to say i'm disappointed but I knew this is what was going to happen. Oh well.

frozennorth
December 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
the caa is definitely playing like they're the 6th best conference

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
The talent difference in this one is significant. UNH has to go 96 yards, get a 2, and then score again. They haven't been over Wofford's 30 today.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wofford's going to win. Congrats to them.

As it tends to be in these games, UNH was both out-talented and out-coached. Better team won. Should've won by more, too!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wofford will advance. Congrats to coach Ayers and the Terriers.

furpal87
December 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM
NDST up 7-3 in 2nd, winner next for the TErriers

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Just an amazing note; UNH forced a punt with 4:10 to go, Wofford dropped the punt ... and ran for a 15 yard first down. That's the game..haha. **** me.

SC-T-Dogg
December 1st, 2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, Terrier ball today. Good game UNH.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM
UNH definitely laid a turd today. Congrats Wofford!

SpeedkingATL
December 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Dominating rushing attack and defense today. Great win Ankle-Biters and good luck in the next round. You earned it!

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
Offense has got to play better if we want to beat the Bison next week. Too many turnovers and mistakes. There were a lot of tweaked ankles and bruised hamstrings in this game. Hopefully nothing big. Our defense keeps us competitive.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Eric Breiteinstein outgained New Hampshire today....but only played 2.5 quarters. He slightly pulled a hammy and the coaches kept him out just in case.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Eric Breiteinstein outgained New Hampshire today....but only played 2.5 quarters. He slightly pulled a hammy and the coaches kept him out just in case.

good luck next week against the Bizon, your team dominated today, they should of won that game 49-0

wofford92
December 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
UNH played tough D today, Wofford D little better... Great win for Terriers, any win against CAA a good win. Gotta take care of football
next week or we will get run out of the dome!

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2012, 06:55 PM
good luck next week against the Bizon, your team dominated today, they should of won that game 49-0

that's what bothers me. We made WAY too many mistakes on offense and NDSU is leaps and bounds better than UNH defensively. I was very impressed by our defense, but worried about the injuries we sustained.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
BTW, I'm waiting on Saint to come tell me we have a bad secondary....

Terrierforlife
December 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats to UNH and their fans on a great year! Their fans were gracious today. Both teams looked a little rusty after the long break.

Saint3333
December 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
BTW, I'm waiting on Saint to come tell me we have a bad secondary....
I said Wofford would not win the title due to their secondary. Your dline and scheme worked today, congrats on a win vs a team most believe didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, still a ways to go young one.

dungeonjoe
December 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Wow. Wofford's defense is the best I've seen this season. Absolutely fantastic.
I think that was Wofford's best defensive performance of the year. It was lights out, against a high powered team. No long passes which was the surprise.

UNH Fanboi
December 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
I think Wofford matches up well with NDSU. Should be a close game.

ngineer
December 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
Very surprised Wofford was able to shut down the UNH offense so well. I was picking the Terriers 38-38. Next week against NDSU could be a good ol' fashion defensive struggel with the over/under being about 24...maybe.