PDA

View Full Version : NEC Picks Albany

danefan
August 15th, 2006, 08:07 PM
"Somerset, NJ -- According to a preseason poll of Northeast Conference (NEC) head coaches, Albany and Central Connecticut State are favored to win the 2006 NEC Football Championship. Albany, which tied for third place in the league last season, received four first place votes. Central Connecticut State earned two first place nods after capturing back-to-back conference titles in 2004 and 2005. This year’s poll saw four teams claim first place votes, including a single selection for Monmouth, and for the first time in league history, Saint Francis (PA) collects a lone vote."...

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/8/15/fb-preseasonpoll06.asp?path=fball

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM
"Somerset, NJ -- According to a preseason poll of Northeast Conference (NEC) head coaches, Albany and Central Connecticut State are favored to win the 2006 NEC Football Championship. Albany, which tied for third place in the league last season, received four first place votes. Central Connecticut State earned two first place nods after capturing back-to-back conference titles in 2004 and 2005. This year’s poll saw four teams claim first place votes, including a single selection for Monmouth, and for the first time in league history, Saint Francis (PA) collects a lone vote."...

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/8/15/fb-preseasonpoll06.asp?path=fball

Nice headline, but a little misleading :)

Albany, Central Connecticut State Picked To Win 2006 NEC Football Crown

----
Also, the Northeast Conference announced its 2006 preseason all-conference football team this afternoon following voting by the league’s eight head coaches. Central Connecticut State and Saint Francis (PA) landed an NEC-high six players each on the squad, followed by Wagner and Albany with five apiece, along with two from Monmouth and one from Sacred Heart.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2006/8/15/fb-preseasonallnecrel.asp?path=fball

-----
BTW - my sleeper team is SFPA. They have all 11 starters back on offense. Should be a great season!

danefan
August 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I would actually consider the NEC headline to be misleading. In my mind if one team gets 4 first-place votes and another gets 2, the team receiving 4 first-place votes would be favored to win it, don't you think?
:)

Pards Rule
August 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I concur Danefan. Wow, it is hard to believe but we are approaching the silver anniversary of Bill Russo's first game as Lafayette HC on Sept. 12, 1981, a 51-0 victory over Central Conn. State. I believe that was the last time the two teams met. It was Frank Novak's debut too.

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I would actually consider the NEC headline to be misleading. In my mind if one team gets 4 first-place votes and another gets 2, the team receiving 4 first-place votes would be favored to win it, don't you think?
:)

Seriously, its just a coaches poll, so I don't worry that much about it - I was just trying to get a rise out of Dane fans. BTW - in MBB the NEC coaches haven't picked the conference winnner in more than 12 seasons or so. I'm more concerned with how we finish than what we were picked.

But to your point, the poll is based on TOTAL points, so yes they both are picked as the winners! Although UA got 4 first place votes, the other 3 votes were likely for 4th place or lower, while CCSU was picked no lower than 3rd by all the coaches. The total points is a weighted average that best captures the various votes by the coaches.

If anything it says that UA can finish anywhere from 1st to 5th, whereas CCSU is likely a top 3 team. But clearly how you look at the results depends on who you are rooting for :D

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I concur Danefan. Wow, it is hard to believe but we are approaching the silver anniversary of Bill Russo's first game as Lafayette HC on Sept. 12, 1981, a 51-0 victory over Central Conn. State. I believe that was the last time the two teams met. It was Frank Novak's debut too.

Correct, but ...

you always seem to forget that the year before that CCSU won at Easton!

Sept. 13, 1980 - CCSU 14, Lafayette 3.

Selective memory, I'm sure :rolleyes:

faxjusfax
August 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Correct, but ...

OH, SNAP!

Pards Rule
August 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Correct, but ...

Indeed Ace. I think I do recall that in my freshman year there (1980), but that was a bad year for the Pards. Last year for Neil Putnam as HC. I wish we were playing you guys again instead of Sacred Heart! My boss' son played for Jay in Rhode Island so we would have gone to New Britain to watch, I bet, with his son.

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Seriously, its just a coaches poll, so I don't worry that much about it - I was just trying to get a rise out of Dane fans. BTW - in MBB the NEC coaches haven't picked the conference winnner in more than 12 seasons or so. I'm more concerned with how we finish than what we were picked.

But to your point, the poll is based on TOTAL points, so yes they both are picked as the winners! Although UA got 4 first place votes, the other 3 votes were likely for 4th place or lower, while CCSU was picked no lower than 3rd by all the coaches. The total points is a weighted average that best captures the various votes by the coaches.

If anything it says that UA can finish anywhere from 1st to 5th, whereas CCSU is likely a top 3 team. But clearly how you look at the results depends on who you are rooting for :D

Sorry, let me correct myself. Assuming they used an inverse scoring system and each coach couldn't vote for his own team, this is what we likely had:

1st place - 7 pts = UA (4) 28 / CCSU (2) 14
2nd place - 6 pts = UA (0) 00 / CCSU (3) 18
3rd place - 5 pts = UA (2) 05 / CCSU (2) 10
4th place - 4 pts = UA (1) 04 / CCSU (0) 00
----------------------------
Total = (7) 42 / (7) 42

So, UA was picked by one coach as low as 4th place, while 5 of the 7 coaches picked CCSU in the top-2 spots. We both recieved two 3rd place votes.

Again, they both finished with 42 points each, so they are both picked to win the NEC. You could certainly have another view, but this is how almost all media or coaches polls are done.