PDA

View Full Version : Montana Griz RB Lex Hilliard out for season,,

GrizzlyEdd
August 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hilliard injured, out for season

Montana running back Lex Hilliard sustained a season-ending foot injury in practice Monday. Hilliard, in position to set a new career rushing record for the Grizzlies, will have surgery and redshirt during the 2006 season.
UM SPORTS INFORMATION Photo

MISSOULA - University of Montana senior halfback Lex Hilliard sustained a serious foot injury in practice Monday that will force him to miss the 2006 season.

The injury will require surgery, according to a UM sports information release.

Hilliard - who played as a true freshman - will redshirt this season.

“We’re very disappointed for Lex Hilliard,” said fourth-year Griz head coach Bobby Hauck. “For him to lose his senior season, especially one that he has prepared so hard for, is a hard pill to swallow. It’s difficult to put into words just how bad that myself, our coaches and our players feel for Lex.

“Obviously it is a tremendous loss to our football team and certainly puts a damper on our championship aspirations since we lost our best player for the season,” Hauck said.

Hilliard - a 6-0, 228-pounder from Kalispell - is ranked second in Montana history with 2,884 career rushing yards. He has rushed for 34 career touchdowns. He has been a unanimous first team All-Big Sky Conference selection the past two seasons.

Last season he rushed for 1,322 yards, the second most in single-season history at UM, and was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award given annually to Division I-AA’s offensive player of the year.”

The release said UM will have no further comments on Hilliard’s injury

Tod
August 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Dude, already posted...

GrizzlyEdd
August 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Dude, already posted...

My bad... I looked and didn't see it.... my apologies to one and all for the duplication...:(

mlbowl
August 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM
My bad... I looked and didn't see it.... my apologies to one and all for the duplication...:(

it happens

UNH 40
August 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I feel bad for Hilliard, however I'm very happy for him that he still has his red shirt available to take. This will allow him to fully recover and come back and play. I was worried that he was done for his college career, the fact that he can come back and play makes this not as devestating as I once thought, because it seems that UM has some very capable back-ups to fill in for him. When he comes back he will be a year older and a year stronger without adding a year of wear and tear, which may actually help his professional aspirations.

blackfordpu
August 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM
For some reason I thought he was a QB?:confused:

McNeese75
August 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
For some reason I thought he was a QB?:confused:

Well you can bet Dustin Long and gang knew he wasn't a QB in 2004 :eek: :D

89Hen
August 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry to hear Griz fans. I feel for him and for the team. :(

Laserlips
August 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear Griz fans. I feel for him and for the team. :(

+1

... Again sorry about the loss this season of your fine rb Lex Hilliard, but hopefully the GRIZ will still dominate...

This GSU Eagle fan wishes Mr. Hilliard a speedy and complete recovery. Hopefully he'll be back in pads and kicking butt next season......

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Cap'n Cat
August 18th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Tough deal.

PantherRob82
August 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
will be interesting to see how the team responds.