PDA

View Full Version : FCS Show A Joke

UNHFan
November 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
FCS Deserves major people knowledgeable of the topic

UNH Deserves a mention for its streak..deserved or not!!! Thats what keeps us like the big boys!

Now back to reality! Yes other teams deserve the talk..and I feel I or others on this site could have hosted this show!

Once again ESPN thinks FCS are a bunch of idiots! Though great points where made about top teams I truly feel most of the posters on this site would have done a better job

Just my thought!

Just a shocked UNH Fan :)...any one going to Wofford? lol

32counter
November 18th, 2012, 09:14 PM

UNH Deserves a mention for its streak..deserved or not!!! Thats what keeps us like the big boys!

Now back to reality! Yes other teams deserve the talk..and I feel I or others on this site could have hosted this show!

Once again ESPN thinks FCS are a bunch of idiots! Though great points where made about top teams I truly feel most of the posters on this site would have done a better job

Just my thought!

Jay Walker former QB at Howard is not a Phi Beta Kappa-and probably comes rather inexpensively.Both he and other guy seemed like they showed up 3minutes before show time and most of time were either ill prepared and/or tritely repetitive.Amateurism at its best.Entire field deserved better.Go Wildcats from a Spider.

ngineer
November 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
FCS is as afterthought for everyone but us and it's treated that way.

putter
November 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
ROOT Sports (formerly Fox Sports NW) got the Big Sky contract starting this year and did a great job. Nice pre-game and post game shows with sideline reporters who did their homework. They also do all the Mariners games. Nice to see some professionals for an FCS game!

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM
There are knowledgable professionals available to help ESPN with such things. They just don't work hard enough to put a good show together. Jay Walker is from an HBCU school, so he wasn't a big playoff guy. Back in his playing days, teams in the MEAC and SWAC were more concerned about the Heritage Bowl than the playoffs.

bobcateconomist
November 18th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Just my thought!

I agree about UNH and the streak... definitely seems worth mentioning. In addition, it seems like the head-to-head matchups could have been given a lot more attention. From what I noticed, there are two obvious examples.

1. It would be especially interesting to ask the selection committee chair about the UNH-Towson comparison (with such fresh and raw evidence from this past weekend). I'm sure they had a reason to keep Towson out, but it would be nice to know what that reason was.
2. On another head-to-head matchup, why not point out the fact that EWU beat MSU in the regular season, and that is why EWU is #2 and MSU is #3 (despite the major polls having the teams in the opposite order)? This would be another good question for the selection committee.

But, I guess... what can you expect from a guy who doesn't know Willie Fritz from Rob Ash?

bojeta
November 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM
ROOT Sports (formerly Fox Sports NW) got the Big Sky contract starting this year and did a great job. Nice pre-game and post game shows with sideline reporters who did their homework. They also do all the Mariners games. Nice to see some professionals for an FCS game!

Agree!!!! Root Sports does a great job!

GAD
November 19th, 2012, 05:41 AM
There are knowledgable professionals available to help ESPN with such things. They just don't work hard enough to put a good show together. Jay Walker is from an HBCU school, so he wasn't a big playoff guy. Back in his playing days, teams in the MEAC and SWAC were more concerned about the Heritage Bowl than the playoffs.
I could be wrong but, I think Howard chose the playoffs over the Heritage Bowl when Walker was playing. Steve Wilson was coach at the time.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Wasn't Jay Walker the guy who was INCENSED that Delaware didn't make it a few years ago at 7-4 with 6 DI wins? I think he was also upset the MEAC didn't get a second bid.

asucrutch23
November 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I'm curious as to why they kept calling NDSU the BiZon. Is that how you pronounce it up there? What's with the Z sound?

tractorapp
November 19th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Agree!!!! Root Sports does a great job!

I watched the Montana v Montana St. game Saturday and was blown away by the quality of the broadcast. SoCon coverage has been a joke for years and this year it is non-existant except for espn3. You guys are fortunate to have such a good broadcast partner out there. Any idea what the financial details are for the Big Sky agreement with Root? I heard the SoCon was actually paying to have games broadcast in the past on CSS and SportsSouth.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Wasn't Jay Walker the guy who was INCENSED that Delaware didn't make it a few years ago at 7-4 with 6 DI wins? I think he was also upset the MEAC didn't get a second bid.

The difference was he was 100% right this time xlolx

Bisonforlife
November 19th, 2012, 09:23 AM
The Z sound is how most people in North Dakota pronounce it. So yes that is correct in my eyes.

I'm curious as to why they kept calling NDSU the BiZon. Is that how you pronounce it up there? What's with the Z sound?

asucrutch23
November 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
The Z sound is how most people in North Dakota pronounce it. So yes that is correct in my eyes.

Hmm, interesting. Never heard it pronounced that way until yesterday. I always say the correct pronunciation of something is however the locals say it. Of course our prime example is app-uh-latch-un vs. app-uh-lay-shun. Incase you're wondering, it's the former that is correct! xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hmm, interesting. Never heard it pronounced that way until yesterday. I always say the correct pronunciation of something is however the locals say it. Of course our prime example is app-uh-latch-un vs. app-uh-lay-shun. Incase you're wondering, it's the former that is correct! xthumbsupx

Yep, it's spelled and sounds just like former NFL Wide Receiver Andre RISON.

asucrutch23
November 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Yep, it's spelled and sounds just like former NFL Wide Receiver Andre RISON.

So does that mean I can call you the North Dakota State "Bad Moon" Bison?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
So does that mean I can call you the North Dakota State "Bad Moon" Bison?

Chris Berman is probably the most worthless sportscaster in history. He turned a little bit of schtick into a 30 year career. So no, please do not use that.

Eaglesrus
November 19th, 2012, 10:17 AM

What's funny to me is that I've never noticed anyone pronouncing it app-uh-lay-shun, but last year in Fargo I heard nothing but bizun.

citdog
November 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Chris Berman is probably the most worthless sportscaster in history. He turned a little bit of schtick into a 30 year career. So no, please do not use that.

wow! Nodak and i agree on something. Berman is a douchenozzle.

R.A.
November 20th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Jay Walker's 1993 Howard Bison team played Marshall in the I-AA playoffs and lost 28-14.

As for the notion that we were more concerned with The Heritage Bowl, than the Playoffs... you are incorrect. Untill 1996, the MEAC didn't have an Automatic Bid. We were an At Large Bid conference.

The Heritage Bowl was developed because when the NCAA didnt think we were good enough for an at large bid, we stil felt our teams deserved some type of post season, thus The Heritage Bowl.

But we were never more concerned with the Heritage Bowl over the playoffs.

The MEAC is a playoff conference.

Jay Walker is extremely familar with FCS HBCUs... He defeated Walter Payton Award winner Steve "Air" McNair in college- twice I believe.

But to speak to your point, Jay, like any fan, is more focused on his conference and his region of the country more than others.

tourguide
November 20th, 2012, 03:27 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bison?s=t

Yes we go with the zuhn vs the suhn

As for the show, I'm not sure the show did good at anything outside the intro video and unveiling of seeds. Really could have just been a music montage. at least they said Bison properly.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Jay Walker's 1993 Howard Bison team played Marshall in the I-AA playoffs and lost 28-14.

As for the notion that we were more concerned with The Heritage Bowl, than the Playoffs... you are incorrect. Untill 1996, the MEAC didn't have an Automatic Bid. We were an At Large Bid conference.

The Heritage Bowl was developed because when the NCAA didnt think we were good enough for an at large bid, we stil felt our teams deserved some type of post season, thus The Heritage Bowl.

But we were never more concerned with the Heritage Bowl over the playoffs.

The MEAC is a playoff conference.

Jay Walker is extremely familar with FCS HBCUs... He defeated Walter Payton Award winner Steve "Air" McNair in college- twice I believe.

But to speak to your point, Jay, like any fan, is more focused on his conference and his region of the country more than others.

I'm glad he was able to be so successful at Howard. He still tried to say that Willie Fritz is the coach at Montana State.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Does anyone have the show on a file they could send me?

R.A.
November 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I'm glad he was able to be so successful at Howard. He still tried to say that Willie Fritz is the coach at Montana State.

We all make mistakes.

R.A.
November 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have the show on a file they could send me?

Here's the link

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player?id=639849

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
WHAA'S DUH PROB.....DIDN'T HEAR JAY...MIS-PRONOUNCE.....DELAWARE.................DOODLE-DOO!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 10:43 PM
We all make mistakes.

Especially when we don't prep and have little to no knowledge because it's basically a throwaway show.

R.A.
November 20th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Especially when we don't prep and have little to no knowledge because it's basically a throwaway show.

You want more, don't tell me, tell the NCAA, tell ESPN, tell the people in power man.

alvinkayak6
November 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
You want more, don't tell me, tell the NCAA, tell ESPN, tell the people in power man.

Tip: They listen with their wallets not their inboxes.

Hammerhead
November 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
It looks like Boise State has the opposite problem with announcers saying it like Boy zee instead of Boy see.
http://www.ktvb.com/community/blogs/maggie-omara/65582257.html

I always figured it had something to do with the upper midwest accent you hear in the movie Fargo.