PDA

View Full Version : TSN Gateway

OL FU
August 15th, 2006, 07:17 AM
You’ll probably get blank stares if you ask anyone outside of Normal, Illinois to name the only team that defeated three I- AA playoff participants during the 2005 regular season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

Sports Network’s Predicted Order of Finish:
1. Illinois State
2. UNI
3. Youngstown State
4. Southern Illinois
5. Western Kentucky
6. Western Illinois
Missouri State
Indiana State

Killtoppers90
August 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM
WOW!

GoGuins
August 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
You could flip flop the top 3 in any order and it could be right. WKU & SIU might sneak in their too. It will be an interesting year

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
What's the deal with W. Illinois lately? They were a frequently good team a few years ago and you don't hear much from them these days. What's going on in Macomb?

Reed Rothchild
August 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
The Redbirds will underachieve once again. My predicted order of finish

UNI
WKU
YSU
SIU
ILST
WIU
MSU
INSt

Reed Rothchild
August 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
What's the deal with W. Illinois lately? They were a frequently good team a few years ago and you don't hear much from them these days. What's going on in Macomb?

Gary Patterson is starting to wear thin on the 'Necks.

Champs
August 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM
My prediction, with the top 2 possibly tying for the title--

1.- YSU
2.-ILS
3.-UNI
4.-SIU
5.-WKU
6.-WIU
7.-MSU
8.-INS

Psychored
August 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM
If the Topper's youth develops as hoped, Western just may make a run for the title this year!

WKU Prospectus (http://wkusports.com/pdf/2006westernkentuckyfootballprospectus.pdf)

Chi Panther
August 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
1. ILLINOIS STATE REDBIRDS (7-4, 4-3 in Gateway Conference)

COACH (RECORD): Denver Johnson (32-35 in six seasons at Illinois State, 53-47 in nine seasons overall)

leatherneck177
August 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Nice with the Gary Patterson reference, but Head Coach Don Patterson is not wearing thin. We have had a coaching carousel the last three years and this will be our first season with our D-Coordinator actually returning for the first time in three years.

There have been a few poor recruiting classes, but the fact is that we do not really bring in transfers at the rate that we used to. We are recruiting kids and building a solid program without transfers. That has been Patterson's goal since he arrived on campus.

The team should be solid this year, as the offense should be great as usual...the team will go as far as the defense can take it.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM
My outlook has Co-Champs this year-- YSU & ILS. 3rd is UNI. WIU may move up and SIU moves down. WKU about the same. Only MSU and lowly INS stay in or at the basement.

Three teams to the play-offs.

birdsflyhigh
August 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM
If anyone thinks the Redbirds are going to underachieve this season, then you've got a big suprise coming. This program is loaded with talent, great depth and playing with a chip on it's shoulder after missing the playoffs last year. One thing the TSN rundown didn't mention is that several key ISU players were out for the WIU loss. The Birds gave Iowa State all they wanted, CRUSHED both SIU and UNI, and the losses to WKU and YSU could have VERY easily have been victories.

TSN was right on point when they said that had ISU made the playoffs last year, then NO ONE would have wanted to face them. Think MSU may suprise this year and possibily end up in fourth. Anyway, thanks TSN for a good analysis of the Gateway. It's a stacked conference this year with 3 or maybe 4 playoff caliber teams.

:)

Chi Panther
August 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
If anyone thinks the Redbirds are going to underachieve this season, then you've got a big suprise coming. This program is loaded with talent, great depth and playing with a chip on it's shoulder after missing the playoffs last year. One thing the TSN rundown didn't mention is that several key ISU players were out for the WIU loss. The Birds gave Iowa State all they wanted, CRUSHED both SIU and UNI, and the losses to WKU and YSU could have VERY easily have been victories.

TSN was right on point when they said that had ISU made the playoffs last year, then NO ONE would have wanted to face them. Think MSU may suprise this year and possibily end up in fourth. Anyway, thanks TSN for a good analysis of the Gateway. It's a stacked conference this year with 3 or maybe 4 playoff caliber teams.

:)

no sympathy from me

I don't think anyone has the depth that UNI or YSU have....

IllState has some star power...not sold on depth (how good is your team without Drone, or Robinson or Pierre?) Depth is playing without Sanders...Freeney....but somehow make the playoffs.....

WKU's style of play will keep them in almost every game....

SIU is swimming up stream this year.....

MSU has the best coach in the conf.....

Hopefully 3 teams from the GFC can make the playoffs.....:thumbsup:

Reed Rothchild
August 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
The Birds crushed UNI WITHOUT Sanders and with a backup QB would would not throw the ball and is no longer on the team. I remember when Il ST returned even more talent in 2000 and underachieved. As long as DJ is there they will always do the most with the least talent.

WKU will be back this year and YSU will start fast and end slow when they actually start playing real teams.

ps. My bad about DON Patterson.

Reed Rothchild
August 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
MSU has the best coach in the conf.....

No, they don't. The student has become the teacher and UNI now has the best coach. :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
August 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Wow where to begin.
My top 3 are
1) YSU
1) ILSU
3) UNI

I really think we may see a tie atop the Gateway between YSU and ILSU looking at the schedule.

UNI is getting so much love because of Sanders and making it to the title game last year. So WHAT!

REED- Your sig is stupid.....

They lost a lot of talent, the load of talent is at Illinois State and in Youngstown....

Illinois State is the real deal; they were the closest team to beat YSU in Youngstown last year, and probably should've despite some a horrible late 4th quarter.

GO YSU!!!!!!
Well on their way to the playoffs with the most Gateway Preseason Honors, ranked top 10 in every poll, and after 6 years without Tressel, YOUNGSTOWN has a buzz for a champion brewing!

birdsflyhigh
August 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM
UNI has depth, but you are seriously underestimating ISU's depth this year. Brockway will be a more than caple backup to QB Drone. The Panther fans are a confident bunch....I'll give you that. Even with all the talent the Birds had in 2000, they were getting used to a whole new coaching system.

This WILL be the year Denver gets the "underachiever" tag taken away. Have alot of respect for the UNI program and look for them to do damage in the playoffs again, but am suprised that some Panther fans are shortchanging ISU. Realize that the Panthers had players out during the beat down the Birds inflicted on them last year, but that score was ridiculous! :eyebrow:

In any case, it will be some really good Gateway battles this year. :thumbsup:

Reed Rothchild
August 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM
hmmm... the talent is where???

At UNI:
the ENTIRE offensive line returns from the NC game, plus 2 guys that could start elsewhere are backups

No one knows about Corey Lewis because he was stuck behind Horne and Freeney. But Lewis will be better than both!

Defensive secondary has the most experience its had in YEARS

Serious talent has been recruited at the receiver postions, just wait and see.

LBs return guys were in and out of the starting lineup

Only ??? is Dline and 2 guys : Jordan Lacy and Everette Pedescleaux return after injuries limited them last year.

Not to mention Sanders. UNI has had talent year in and year out, but has always been lagging the "missing link". As long as he is healthy, Sanders is that piece that has already taken the Panthers to the next level and will take this years team even higher! Just ask SIU, Eastern Washington, New Hampshire, Texas St, even YSU on 1 leg!!! The guy makes it happen!!!

shakdaddy3
August 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Reed Rothchild]Defensive secondary has the most experience its had in YEARS
QUOTE]

That seconday sure looked great against ILSU last year.. hope they look about the same at the P-U NI dome...

ILSU has more depth than most people know, but you guys will just have to see this year.

ILSU in '06 ladies :hurray:

crunifan
August 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM
UNI has transfers from USC, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, experienced players and coaches from last years National Championship game, as well as Eric Sanders, a proven quarterback...and suddenly we are told we are overrated. xlolx

Until Youngstown actually beats opponents of quality and Illinois State becomes remotely consistent, UNI is the team to beat.

Chi Panther
August 15th, 2006, 08:48 PM
UNI is getting so much love because of Sanders and making it to the title game last year. So WHAT!

So.....Sanders is 2-0 vs YSU:eek:

FlyYtown
August 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
So.....Sanders is 2-0 vs YSU:eek:

W/E... Thats all you got is your bigtime QB and your line.

YSU has 3 Legit I-A Backs [transfers] one of which could very well lead the conference in rushing this year in Marcus Mason. Our running attack is loaded; good luck stopping it with your awesome D-Line!

Our Defense is also loaded especially in the secondary. We got great Cornerbacks in Codera Jackson and Jason Perry; each Preseason All Gateway.

Our big question mark is our wide receivers. Of course we are a run oriented offense, but we don't have a Kyle Smith this year. We have MichSt. transfer Miles Williams who will be legit, and some guys who got some starting time in last year. If they can hold onto the ball, we should be fine.

Of course: HOW CAN I FORGET. Our best-est player: Our All-American Louis Irrizary; going to be THE toughest player to stop in the Gateway with his size and speed. GUARENTEE

Chi Panther
August 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
W/E... Thats all you got is your bigtime QB and your line.

YSU has 3 Legit I-A Backs [transfers] one of which could very well lead the conference in rushing this year in Marcus Mason. Our running attack is loaded; good luck stopping it with your awesome D-Line!

Our Defense is also loaded especially in the secondary. We got great Cornerbacks in Codera Jackson and Jason Perry; each Preseason All Gateway.

Our big question mark is our wide receivers. Of course we are a run oriented offense, but we don't have a Kyle Smith this year. We have MichSt. transfer Miles Williams who will be legit, and some guys who got some starting time in last year. If they can hold onto the ball, we should be fine.

Of course: HOW CAN I FORGET. Our best-est player: Our All-American Louis Irrizary; going to be THE toughest player to stop in the Gateway with his size and speed. GUARENTEE

You can talk about your talent all you want....I'm happy with UNI's W's over YSU...

like I said above UNI and YSU have the best depth in the GFC.....

FlyYtown
August 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM
You can talk about your talent all you want....I'm happy with UNI's W's over YSU...

like I said above UNI and YSU have the best depth in the GFC.....

And like I said: YSU and ILSU have the best depth in the GFC...

igo4uni
August 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM
hmmm... the talent is where???

At UNI:
the ENTIRE offensive line returns from the NC game, plus 2 guys that could start elsewhere are backups

No one knows about Corey Lewis because he was stuck behind Horne and Freeney. But Lewis will be better than both!

Defensive secondary has the most experience its had in YEARS

Serious talent has been recruited at the receiver postions, just wait and see.

LBs return guys were in and out of the starting lineup

Only ??? is Dline and 2 guys : Jordan Lacy and Everette Pedescleaux return after injuries limited them last year.

Not to mention Sanders. UNI has had talent year in and year out, but has always been lagging the "missing link". As long as he is healthy, Sanders is that piece that has already taken the Panthers to the next level and will take this years team even higher! Just ask SIU, Eastern Washington, New Hampshire, Texas St, even YSU on 1 leg!!! The guy makes it happen!!!

Go Reed, go!!

igo4uni
August 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
And like I said: YSU and ILSU have the best depth in the GFC...

But, can you beat UNI???

I say that UNI gets revenge on ILSU and continues business as usual vs. YSU.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

crunifan
August 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Illinois State fans sure seem proud of their win last year. Apparently Missouri State fans should be talkin' the smack too. They beat us without Sanders, too.

Illinois State will have to face two things they didn't last year, the Dome and Sanders. And let me tell you...you won't like either.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
The so what is that Eric Sanders has won almost all of the games he has started in the past two years. From a talent perspective, Sanders isn't even the top QB in the Gateway, Luke Drone is. I was surprised watching Sanders in person at the championship that he had as weak an arm as he did. But he finds a way to go beyond his ability and get the job done. Sanders is a winner and is extremely confident. That combination is a dangerous one and the main reason people think Northern Iowa is one of the top teams in the country (and the Gateway).

MO-State JK
August 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Apparently Missouri State fans should be talkin' the smack too. They beat us without Sanders, too.

Illinois State will have to face two things they didn't last year, the Dome and Sanders. And let me tell you...you won't like either.

UNI is much better than MO-State. I'm just going to go out and enjoy a few games this year and be patient. Our time will come with Allen at the helm. I hope he models us after the UNI powerhouse he built.

I'm very sick of the half-a** effort that has gone on with Del Miller and Randy Ball. I really thought we had something when we got the latter of the two...

All I'm saying is that I've put up with no playoffs in 15 y-e-a-r-s. I imagine I can wait 1 or two more. When it does happen...look out. Springfield will explode and it will be a lot of fun.

Killtoppers90
August 16th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I cannot wait for the UNI-YSU game to end so this pissing match would end! :D

shakdaddy3
August 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM
P-U NI Dome is overrated... just a big POS

not that Hancock is good :bawling:

like I said, I love UNI's secondary... they love to let up big yards and big plays to us :hurray:

Chi Panther
August 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Remind Denver that there are 11 games in the regular season:bang:

D1B
August 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Illinois State, UNI and SIU will all be at the top. Each will lose a game it should have won and each will win one...

YSU, MSU and WIU will all win one against one of the above. Same meatgrinder Gateway. Best Conf in 1AA. No one gives a **** about YSU anymore. No one wants to go to school there. MSU is this years' sleeper. Wester is capable of going 10-1 as well as 1-10.

Indiana State needs to play in the OVC or SWAC. (hear that NDSU, Drake and SDSU!)

Allen is the second best coach behind Farley.

Champs
August 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Thats hilarious !!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

YSU will be there at the end. LOL !!

igo4uni
August 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Indiana State needs to play in the OVC or SWAC.

No siht,they drag down the conference power rankings.:bang: xidiotx :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

D1B
August 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thats hilarious !!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

YSU will be there at the end. LOL !!

Just quit laughing and start makin the playoffs. Beat UNI, then you might get some respect.

Been ridin those NC way too long. YSU is the Princeton (albeit the mentally retarded version) of 1AA - dominated 1A footall in the 1800's but havn't dun skwat since.

:nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:

Paladin1aa
August 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

From picked to finish 6th to actually 8-3 and GFC Tri-Champs.

Watch this year !! :nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx

D1B
August 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

From picked to finish 6th to actually 8-3 and GFC Tri-Champs.

Watch this year !! :nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx

...and sittin at home, coughing up coal bisquits and watching UNI on TV...

FlyYtown
August 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
...and sittin at home, coughing up coal bisquits and watching UNI on TV...
The same UNI that lost in the Title Game!

You sound like a little teenager. YSU is the real deal. You will see that this year; we can talk all we want; but most of what we're saying is going to come true.

YSU is absolutely loaded this year, as is ILSU. UNI has some solid talent, but IMHO; not as much as the ILSU and YSU.

You will look like a fool later this year when your predictions will be FALSE!

Mountain Panther
August 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
YSU is absolutely loaded this year...UNI has some solid talent, but IMHO; not as much as...YSU.

And you have yet to really prove that statement. You of all people should know about "reloading" from the 1990s. We have reloaded our lost power players.

D1B
August 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
The same UNI that lost in the Title Game!

You sound like a little teenager. YSU is the real deal. You will see that this year; we can talk all we want; but most of what we're saying is going to come true.

YSU is absolutely loaded this year, as is ILSU. UNI has some solid talent, but IMHO; not as much as the ILSU and YSU.

You will look like a fool later this year when your predictions will be FALSE!

You obviously have no idea how much of an idiot you look like right now.

Loaded, schmoaded - don't mean **** unless you can put it all together. If being "loaded" automatically meant you'd win, then the Westerns would win every year. YSU lacks chemistry. They have no chlorophyll.

YSU is a captainless, infirm ship stuck in the Sargasso Sea. Youngstown Ohio - A rotting and windless hell hole stuck in the middle of a fertile gridiron oceania. Cant even buy a decent recruit and the school is horrendously mediocre. Your great fans deserve better than you and that once proud "program".

crunifan
August 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM
This thread really makes me wonder what this conference would look like if Wichita State would join. I swear to God that if that was the case, World War III would be started when Penguin and Shocker fans clash for the first time.

FlyYtown
August 16th, 2006, 11:45 PM

Loaded, schmoaded - don't mean **** unless you can put it all together. If being "loaded" automatically meant you'd win, then the Westerns would win every year. YSU lacks chemistry. They have no chlorophyll.

YSU is a captainless, infirm ship stuck in the Sargasso Sea. Youngstown Ohio - A rotting and windless hell hole stuck in the middle of a fertile gridiron oceania. Cant even buy a decent recruit and the school is horrendously mediocre. Your great fans deserve better than you and that once proud "program".

O Okay!
I look like the idiot. Your telling me YSU has no this no that...
Well does 42-0 ring a bell to you?
42-0 was the ass-whooping YSU put upon your Liberty Flames.

Before you rip YSU apart like you are, what did you want to see from them last year, 84-0 to nothing to beleive they were legit? Were you one of those 5000 supposedly who came to the game?

Doubtful...Mediocre.. Recruits....
Go look at your disgrace of a football program and tell me that again!!

JoeNeck90
August 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
O Okay!
I look like the idiot. Your telling me YSU has no this no that...
Well does 42-0 ring a bell to you?
42-0 was the ass-whooping YSU put upon your Liberty Flames.

Before you rip YSU apart like you are, what did you want to see from them last year, 84-0 to nothing to beleive they were legit? Were you one of those 5000 supposedly who came to the game?

Doubtful...Mediocre.. Recruits....
Go look at your disgrace of a football program and tell me that again!!

xidiotx Relax Fly, he's actually a UNI fan...it's the Banana Slug. You sure got you fired up.:nod:

Killtoppers90
August 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

FlyYtown
August 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
xidiotx Relax Fly, he's actually a UNI fan...it's the Banana Slug. You sure got you fired up.:nod:

I won't relax. I can't post on here before either a UNI fan or some other fan says YSU isn't the real deal or YSU really sucks......

LOL Just Stop... I honestly think its called JEALOUSY!
And I beg you to read this and comment on it: http://ysufootball.wordpress.com/2006/08/17/sellouts/

Go Guins

Killtoppers90
August 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I won't relax. I can't post on here before either a UNI fan or some other fan says YSU isn't the real deal or YSU really sucks......

LOL Just Stop... I honestly think its called JEALOUSY!

We are not jealous of YSU, most of us respect YSU. What we cannot stand is YOUR arrogance and chest-thumping resulting from basically nothing. Yeah you won Champiosnhips, SEVERAL years ago. But have really done nothing since. WKU won our first in 2002, but you don't hear us pounding our chest, proclaiming to the world that we are the most awesome squad ever. And once you continue to boast, day in and day out, the rest of us on the board are just sick of hearing a bunch of idle chatter and hot air. So, put up or just shut up. Either way, we can move on and actually learn who is the best once the teams get on the field!

FlyYtown
August 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM
We are not jealous of YSU, most of us respect YSU. What we cannot stand is YOUR arrogance and chest-thumping resulting from basically nothing. Yeah you won Champiosnhips, SEVERAL years ago. But have really done nothing since. WKU won our first in 2002, but you don't hear us pounding our chest, proclaiming to the world that we are the most awesome squad ever. And once you continue to boast, day in and day out, the rest of us on the board are just sick of hearing a bunch of idle chatter and hot air. So, put up or just shut up. Either way, we can move on and actually learn who is the best once the teams get on the field!

You crack me up. Why don't you go look at Cap'n Cat's posts and tell him that while your at it.

You think I'm bad; he fuels my fire.

And I truly do respect all Gateway Programs, especially WKU; but this place from day 1 hated YSU and still hates them today. I guarentee you if I did not post; this stuff would still be posted!

Killtoppers90
August 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM
You crack me up. Why don't you go look at Cap'n Cat's posts and tell him that while your at it.

And I truly do respect all Gateway Programs, especially WKU; but this place from day 1 hated YSU and still hates them today. I guarentee you if I did not post; this stuff would still be posted!

Well for one, Capn' Cat does his chest-thumping with a good dose of "we can lose on any given saturday" and doesn't act like an asshat when he does it. Not that you are, but your fans are making it out to be that YSU can beat Texas or USC, and are the best team in all of 1-AA. That has yet to be decided! No one here hates YSU's program or talent, it's the FANS that draw our ire and disdain because of their attitudes and lack of respect for other programs. Yes, the YSU stuff would still be on here if you didn't post it yourself which is why I am not singling you out.

birdsflyhigh
August 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM
crunifan, you had me laughing when mentioning the WSU fans xlolx I do appreciate fans who are loyal and passionate. Though sometimes the fandom does get a little crazy, that's fun and a great thing! :thumbsup:

PantherRob82
August 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM

It's funny hoe much you guys let the Cap'n get to you. He doesn't even have to put in much effort. If the Gateway was based on talent every year, UNI wouldn't own a 6 game winning streak over the Guins.

I-AA Fan
August 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM

LOL ...the only thing humorus here is your Liberty helmet, which gives away your true identity. Why ... what would the good reverend have to say about such language? :nono: Now for a more serious comment: Take your empty head to the smack board and leave this part for real fans. FYI, you have about 2 YSU posters on this board (3 if you count me) and you act as though they make up the entire fan base mentality. It is posters like you, and a lack of proper moderation, that keep people from posting here. No one cares about YSU, or has cared about YSU in quite some time, and probably never did. This is what drives them. There would be 15k in Stambaugh Stadium watching a home team with a 1-9 record ... that is not a "once proud" program in Youngstown ... only a program with pride. Furthermore... "fertile gridiron oceania" ... how long did it take you come up with that one :rolleyes: Geezz, even a guy with a degree from Youngstown knows bad writing (and an obvious case of manic-depression)when he reads it. Do you not have anything better to do with yourself?

Reed Rothchild
August 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Our running attack is loaded; good luck stopping it with your awesome D-Line!

Thanks. We won't need it at all since Farley hasn't lost to you yet. I think he's had some success at stopping that running game.

Reed Rothchild
August 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Go Liberty!!!!

crunifan
August 17th, 2006, 09:49 PM
crunifan, you had me laughing when mentioning the WSU fans xlolx I do appreciate fans who are loyal and passionate. Though sometimes the fandom does get a little crazy, that's fun and a great thing! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was pretty proud of it. But seriously, FlyYtown vs. Co|d is one match-up I would pay to see. I'd put my money on Co|d, at least the Shockers can back up their smack.

FlyYtown
August 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks. We won't need it at all since Farley hasn't lost to you yet. I think he's had some success at stopping that running game.

Want to quote the YSU Ticket Guide here:

Game 5
October 21 • Northern Iowa
The 2005 NCAA National Runner-up and
Co-Gateway Champion Northern Iowa Panthers
bring a talented squad to Stambaugh Stadium for
Homecoming ’06 … The excitement and thrills of
“playoff” football will be in the air as these two
Gateway powers collide in a pivotal late October
game … The pageantry of Homecoming will come
alive on campus for this very special game.

That statement makes me think the YSU Athletic Office knows how blown up this game has become because of sites like this. Add that this is homecoming.... I smell one of the largest crowds UNI will ever see, and that is including last years Title Game and from 6 years ago when YSU had 20,800+ in the seats for an Oct. 14th game.

This game will be huge, lets just hope each team will be at a playoff caliber record at this point of the season... For the penguins: 6-1

leatherneck177
August 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Let's play the games. This is ridiculous. YSU and ISU need to get INTO the playoffs before all this talk starts, and you are all speculating on POTENTIAL.

Following our 11-2 2002 season in which WKU beat us in one of the best playoff games ever, we returned nearly everyone in turn to finish 9-4 in losing to Colgate.

Bottom line is that no matter how loaded or stacked your team is, other teams make improvements too. Just because you have everyone back or X amount of transfers doesn't mean that UNI, SIU, and WKU didn't reload as well.

By the way, I respect what YSU has accomplished in the past, however UNI has proven year and year out they are essentially a lock for the playoffs and have a chance to make a deep playoff run.

YSU WAS that way in the past, however the program has slipped, as evidenced by the fact that Penguin fans are getting so fired up coming off an 8-3 season that would've been considered a disappointment a few years back.

crunifan
August 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I smell one of the largest crowds UNI will ever see, and that is including last years Title Game and from 6 years ago when YSU had 20,800+ in the seats for an Oct. 14th game.

This game will be huge, lets just hope each team will be at a playoff caliber record at this point of the season... For the penguins: 6-1

Umm, one of the largest crowds UNI will ever see...in Youngstown, Ohio? xlolx

Apparently last years game against the Hawkeyes, or the 50,000 in Ames next month don't count. xcoffeex

D1B
August 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Umm, one of the largest crowds UNI will ever see...in Youngstown, Ohio? xlolx

Apparently last years game against the Hawkeyes, or the 50,000 in Ames next month don't count. xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

D1B
August 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM
LOL ...the only thing humorus here is your Liberty helmet, which gives away your true identity. Why ... what would the good reverend have to say about such language? :nono: Now for a more serious comment: Take your empty head to the smack board and leave this part for real fans. FYI, you have about 2 YSU posters on this board (3 if you count me) and you act as though they make up the entire fan base mentality. It is posters like you, and a lack of proper moderation, that keep people from posting here. No one cares about YSU, or has cared about YSU in quite some time, and probably never did. This is what drives them. There would be 15k in Stambaugh Stadium watching a home team with a 1-9 record ... that is not a "once proud" program in Youngstown ... only a program with pride. Furthermore... "fertile gridiron oceania" ... how long did it take you come up with that one :rolleyes: Geezz, even a guy with a degree from Youngstown knows bad writing (and an obvious case of manic-depression)when he reads it. Do you not have anything better to do with yourself?

Wake up Fan. Have nothing but respect for Youngstown.

Just having some fun. Flytown is an adolescent and makes all of you look bad.:nod:

FlyYtown
August 17th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Wake up Fan. Have nothing but respect for Youngstown.

Just having some fun. Flytown is an adolescent and makes all of you look bad.:nod:

My error: I mean an important game that can be won, its like YSU vs. PSU.... a 18,000 seat crowd is better for our sake than a 108,000 seat crowd.
Come to YSU guys, and experience a playoff like game!!!

And to D1B: I'm no adolescent, haha o how wrong you are...
I am not trying to make YSU fans look bad, but when people like yourself rep yourself as a Liberty Fan and bash YSU; when you were destroyed by them; I'm sorry, not smart.

D1B
August 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM
My error: I mean an important game that can be won, its like YSU vs. PSU.... a 18,000 seat crowd is better for our sake than a 108,000 seat crowd.
Come to YSU guys, and experience a playoff like game!!!

And to D1B: I'm no adolescent, haha o how wrong you are...
I am not trying to make YSU fans look bad, but when people like yourself rep yourself as a Liberty Fan and bash YSU; when you were destroyed by them; I'm sorry, not smart.

BS. Our starting left tackle was hurt and didn't play that game. That's the only reason you won. Word.:nod:

Mountain Panther
August 17th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Good grief....how long before this thread gets moved to smack????

Reed Rothchild
August 18th, 2006, 05:21 PM
GO LIBERTY!!!

I-AA Fan
August 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Good grief....how long before this thread gets moved to smack????

Thank you Panther ... I wondered why D's post did not put it there, and thought my response would ...guess I was wrong.

I-AA Fan
August 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Okay, so let's leave the cpt & co behind and you can have you real preview:

Offense:

RB's: two very good TB's to start, but "Q" lacks the numbers against contenders. Back-ups are outstanding so little worries. YSU thought Ison was gone at FB, but it looks like he is back, that was a serious worry, but his backup, Edgerson, could start anywhere.

QB: YSU has had only 1 true DI starting QB in that past 10 years, and he is not on the team now. With the changes in O under Heacock this is a serious worry. I do not think the transfer from Duke came to sit on the bench either.

TE's: Big, fast, with hands. Have to say it is the strongest position, although depth could play a factor in November.

Line: Very close to a YSU line, but depth of experience still not what it needs to be. Claxson, DeeBee, Foster, Jewell, Lee, Tanner, Booth are solid. They will need Coates, Samsa, and one more to step up and take playing time. I hear two of this list went over to defense this summer.

WR's: Completely untested, but with two former QB's in the mix and some good young talent ... I am cautiously optimistic. Both Williams's show promise, and Goode will play this year.

Defense:

Line: completely raw ...clearly the greatest worry on the team. Outside looks good, but there will be frosh at the interior.

LB's: All indication has these guys truely a traditional crop of Penguin LB's that fans and Sunday coaches have come to expect from YSU. Scouts will be around. The key is that line giving them holes and forcing opposing QB's to pass short to mid.

Secondary: Very solid. However, with the weak lines, most teams merely run against us, so it is too hard to tell just how good they are. Jackson is great, but most do not realize that he got much of those numbers because opposing QB's were afraid of Perry on the other side. Reams plays ironman at CB and TB, great athlete. Two young players with solid history should see time at saftey until needed at CB. I am interested in seeing that safety from SFCC (Bishop is his name), they are a JUCO power & he was a two-year starter.

Kicking: Solid starter at kicker. Had issues last year with a questionable O-line. However, they moved the ball backand he did well. He has back-up and Palmer can kick. Bishop is such an under-rated punter, I really like him, he has such control. This is his senior year & he has serious post-college potential.

There you are.

Chi Panther
August 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Okay, so let's leave the cpt & co behind and you can have you real preview:

Offense:

RB's: two very good TB's to start, but "Q" lacks the numbers against contenders. Back-ups are outstanding so little worries. YSU thought Ison was gone at FB, but it looks like he is back, that was a serious worry, but his backup, Edgerson, could start anywhere.

QB: YSU has had only 1 true DI starting QB in that past 10 years, and he is not on the team now. With the changes in O under Heacock this is a serious worry. I do not think the transfer from Duke came to sit on the bench either.

TE's: Big, fast, with hands. Have to say it is the strongest position, although depth could play a factor in November.

Line: Very close to a YSU line, but depth of experience still not what it needs to be. Claxson, DeeBee, Foster, Jewell, Lee, Tanner, Booth are solid. They will need Coates, Samsa, and one more to step up and take playing time. I hear two of this list went over to defense this summer.

WR's: Completely untested, but with two former QB's in the mix and some good young talent ... I am cautiously optimistic. Both Williams's show promise, and Goode will play this year.

Defense:

Line: completely raw ...clearly the greatest worry on the team. Outside looks good, but there will be frosh at the interior.

LB's: All indication has these guys truely a traditional crop of Penguin LB's that fans and Sunday coaches have come to expect from YSU. Scouts will be around. The key is that line giving them holes and forcing opposing QB's to pass short to mid.

Secondary: Very solid. However, with the weak lines, most teams merely run against us, so it is too hard to tell just how good they are. Jackson is great, but most do not realize that he got much of those numbers because opposing QB's were afraid of Perry on the other side. Reams plays ironman at CB and TB, great athlete. Two young players with solid history should see time at saftey until needed at CB. I am interested in seeing that safety from SFCC (Bishop is his name), they are a JUCO power & he was a two-year starter.

Kicking: Solid starter at kicker. Had issues last year with a questionable O-line. However, they moved the ball backand he did well. He has back-up and Palmer can kick. Bishop is such an under-rated punter, I really like him, he has such control. This is his senior year & he has serious post-college potential.

There you are.

31 to 27 UNI.....:bow:

igo4uni
August 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Let's play the games. This is ridiculous. YSU and ISU need to get INTO the playoffs before all this talk starts, and you are all speculating on POTENTIAL.

Following our 11-2 2002 season in which WKU beat us in one of the best playoff games ever, we returned nearly everyone in turn to finish 9-4 in losing to Colgate.

Bottom line is that no matter how loaded or stacked your team is, other teams make improvements too. Just because you have everyone back or X amount of transfers doesn't mean that UNI, SIU, and WKU didn't reload as well.

By the way, I respect what YSU has accomplished in the past, however UNI has proven year and year out they are essentially a lock for the playoffs and have a chance to make a deep playoff run.

YSU WAS that way in the past, however the program has slipped, as evidenced by the fact that Penguin fans are getting so fired up coming off an 8-3 season that would've been considered a disappointment a few years back.

ditto.

igo4uni
August 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
GO LIBERTY!!!

Yes, Go Liberty! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

P.S. why in the he** does D1B have a Liberty helmet avatar?? I try to keep up on this stufff, but I have no idea!!:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

I-AA Fan
August 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
One more big worry ...YSU lost a tremendous long snapper in Dunlap. These are positions that get no public attention, but you know their value cannot be measured.

Nyghtewynd
August 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I can't remember the last time I was excited about a SMSU/SMS/MSU football season. I can't imagine that they'll be much better this year, especially with Carroll quitting to play baseball and Cooper either just a little shaken up or out for the year.