PDA

View Full Version : Nova @ Stony Brook

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
A bit ambitious with this thread as it is only Sunday, but let's get the conversation rolling as I am very excited to play a team I am not familiar with who will be joining the CAA next year. Anyone from Stony Brook willing to share info about their team? Who should Nova beware of, etc?

Here's a link from the Philly Inquirer

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/breaking/20121118_Villanova_to_play_Stony_Brook_in_FCS_play offs.html

Interesting that Priore was UPenn's O coordinator for 8 years, so he's somewhat familiar with Andy Talley football teams.

I do think that Nova deserved a bye over UNH, but it is what it is. I am just glad Nova is here because at the beginning of the season not much was expected from this team. Andy Talley definitely deserves coach of the year in the CAA in my opinion. This Nova team is incredibly young, but have matured quite well over the season.

Nova has rushed for 300+ yards in 4 of its last 5 games. I'm thinking that Nova's O-line and the battle of the trenches will be the key to the game, as usual. Kevin Monangai lead the CAA in rushing this year and QB John Robertson was 4th in rushing in the CAA.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Roadtrip back to back weekends, I think so. Nova should get a decent away crowd up on LI, probably the best spot for an away crowd actually.

One trivial question, do playoff stats count towards single season/career records? If so watch out for Monangai to pick up the 31 yards he needs to move into 2nd all time for single season rushing.

But I'm looking forward to this game, I think it will be a great matchup

kdinva
November 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
A bit ambitious with this thread as it is only Sunday, but let's get the conversation rolling as I am very excited to play a team I am not familiar with who will be joining the CAA next year. Anyone from Stony Brook willing to share info about their team? Who should Nova beware of, etc?

the running game...............and when you put 8 in the box........Essington can hurt you with play action.......he's #1 in passing efficiency.........SBU as a team is #6 in rushing (#2 of non-option teams........

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Roadtrip back to back weekends, I think so. Nova should get a decent away crowd up on LI, probably the best spot for an away crowd actually.

One trivial question, do playoff stats count towards single season/career records? If so watch out for Monangai to pick up the 31 yards he needs to move into 2nd all time for single season rushing.

But I'm looking forward to this game, I think it will be a great matchup

I was wondering the same thing. Hope someone can confirm whether or not playoff stats count towards regular season stats or not. I'm pretty sure they do count in the FBS>

ecasadoSBU
November 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
three guys:

MIGUEL MAYSONET, MARCUS COKER, KYLE ESSINGTON.

Learn those names.

Huge game. It's an honor to host such a great team like Villanova. Setting up a nice rivalry already for next year. I Hope you all enjoy being out in Long Island... Not in hempstead (Hofstra), but this time at Stony Brook!

This is great for our University to have such a great name play the Brook. Our University is growing and improving year by year so having Villanova play at the Brook is huge. I'm buying my tickets tomorrow and hope to see a great Villanova crowd out here next saturday.

Go Seawolves

md64179
November 18th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Best game of the opening round IMO

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Essington likes to throw primarily to Kevin Norrell, who's had a great year (14 TDs). I think a key thing for Stony Brook is they had a BYE this week, so they'll be well rested. It's really disappointing that Optimum (the primary cable provider on Long Island) doesn't carry ESPN3.

Seawolf97
November 18th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Great game and great opponent. CAA vs Future CAA teams. I expect a sellout plus. Already got my tickets. Welcome to Long Island Wildcats.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Considering a huge percentage of Villanova students are from Long Island, I would hope that there would be a good turnout student-wise for this game from Nova kids. They will all be home for Thanksgiving weekend, so the timing works out perfectly. I many students actually show up, though.

danefan
November 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Essington likes to throw primarily to Kevin Norrell, who's had a great year (14 TDs). I think a key thing for Stony Brook is they had a BYE this week, so they'll be well rested. It's really disappointing that Optimum (the primary cable provider on Long Island) doesn't carry ESPN3.

They did but it's not live yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/cablevision-deal-with-the-walt-disney-company/

kdinva
November 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I expect a sellout plus......

I bet, if the facility were big enough, you would get 16,000+ in attendance.......

Fordham
November 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Did they announce gametime on this one yet? I may make the trip out there. Far and away best first round match-up imo. My $$'s on SB to win, though, and I'm actually pulling for them to go all the way.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 18th, 2012, 07:16 PM
They did but it's not live yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/cablevision-deal-with-the-walt-disney-company/

Thanks for that danefan. I didn't have WatchESPN via Optimum last Saturday for the Liberty game, but I just checked it now and Optimum is listed and it works. Just in the nick of time, too.

Seawolf97
November 18th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Did they announce gametime on this one yet? I may make the trip out there. Far and away best first round match-up imo. My $$'s on SB to win, though, and I'm actually pulling for them to go all the way.

Kick off 3pm

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I agree. Unfortunately, this should have been a second-round game. Both teams are among the top 12 in the country. I think Villanova is a dark horse to win the whole thing with the way the Cats are playing. Stony Brook is good enough to beat some other teams, if it survives Villanova. One thing to remember, too. Villanova has been an outstanding road team this season, with wins at Delaware, Maine and ODU.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Kick off 3pm

Thanks for letting me know that. This is likely the game I'll cover on Saturday. Anyone know when Wagner and Cornell are playing? Would be nice to get a day-night doubleheader in the New York area.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Hope someone can confirm whether or not playoff stats count towards regular season stats or not. I'm pretty sure they do count in the FBS>

Stats count, just not for guys like Adrian Peterson, who played before the NCAA changed its opinion on postseason stats.

Fordham
November 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Kick off 3pm

thanks!

danefan
November 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for that danefan. I didn't have WatchESPN via Optimum last Saturday for the Liberty game, but I just checked it now and Optimum is listed and it works. Just in the nick of time, too.

Happy to hear. I'm a Cablevision customer also so I'm very glad I can stop using my sister-in-laws Tie Warmer account through a remote connection!

danefan
November 18th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for letting me know that. This is likely the game I'll cover on Saturday. Anyone know when Wagner and Cornell are playing? Would be nice to get a day-night doubleheader in the New York area.

Noon for Wagner vs Colgate.

You'll need a helicopter to get both in with NYC/Long Island traffic.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
The times of the games are very weird. 12, 2, 3, and 3. No night games...

danefan
November 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM
The times of the games are very weird. 12, 2, 3, and 3. No night games...

Notre Dame @ USC is at night so I'm not disappointed. Great day of football.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM
All I can say is heads up MSU. Whoever survives this game is going to give you a run for your money in 2 weeks. Not only is this the best game of this round, but I think it will set up one of the best games of the 2nd round.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I agree. Unfortunately, this should have been a second-round game. Both teams are among the top 12 in the country. I think Villanova is a dark horse to win the whole thing with the way the Cats are playing. Stony Brook is good enough to beat some other teams, if it survives Villanova. One thing to remember, too. Villanova has been an outstanding road team this season, with wins at Delaware, Maine and ODU.

It's not as good a win quality-wise, but the Wildcats also beat Penn on the road.

On a related aside, I give major props to both Villanova's Andy Talley and Penn's Al Bagnoli. Both the Wildcats and Quakers IMO were considerably better teams at the end of the season than they were at the beginning of the season, and that's a tribute to those two long-time head coaches.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I do think that Nova deserved a bye over UNH, but it is what it is.

Why? You were both 8-3 and didn't play each other.

They beat Richmond......you lost to Richmond. You both lost to Towson and an FBS opponent.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2012, 10:50 PM

They beat Richmond......you lost to Richmond. You both lost to Towson and an FBS opponent.

Villanova beat Old Dominion by 24 points on the road, James Madison at home by 15 points, and Penn on the road by 16 points. They beat up on the mid-level CAA teams (Maine by 21, Delaware by 31, both on the road). They also played 4 of the other CAA playoff contenders (ODU, JMU, Towson, Richmond), splitting those four games.

New Hampshire's only win over a quality opponent was over Richmond by 4 points at home. They weren't as impressive against the mid-level CAA teams (beating Maine by 7 on the road and Delaware by 20 at home) as Villanova was. They also only played 3 of the other CAA playoff contenders (ODU, Towson, Richmond), beating only one, and lost by 29 points to Towson at home. (Villanova's worst loss points-wise to a Division I-AA team was by 14 points to Towson at home.)

Villanova had a stronger schedule than New Hampshire and was more impressive against their schedule than UNH was against theirs. Despite that, both teams finished with the same record. Villanova IMO was more deserving of the bye than New Hampshire was.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM

Appreciate you backing up your fellow Northeast school up there, but 95% of UNH fans are agreeing that Nova deserved the bye more than UNH.

Also, see Chip's comment right above.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Villanova beat Old Dominion by 24 points on the road, James Madison at home by 15 points, and Penn on the road by 16 points. They beat up on the mid-level CAA teams (Maine by 21, Delaware by 31, both on the road). They also played 4 of the other CAA playoff contenders (ODU, JMU, Towson, Richmond), splitting those four games.

New Hampshire's only win over a quality opponent was over Richmond by 4 points at home. They weren't as impressive against the mid-level CAA teams (beating Maine by 7 on the road and Delaware by 20 at home) as Villanova was. They also only played 3 of the other CAA playoff contenders (ODU, Towson, Richmond), beating only one, and lost by 29 points to Towson at home. (Villanova's worst loss points-wise to a Division I-AA team was by 14 points to Towson at home.)

Villanova had a stronger schedule than New Hampshire and was more impressive against their schedule than UNH was against theirs. Despite that, both teams finished with the same record. Villanova IMO was more deserving of the bye than New Hampshire was.

Andy Talley was really pissed to find out we were playing this weekend. I ended up going to the Connelly Center where the team was watching the Selection show and there was a real awkward, delayed applause when we were announced. Word is we didn't even put in a bid for the 1st round, assuming that we would have a bye to Round 2.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Noon for Wagner vs Colgate.

You'll need a helicopter to get both in with NYC/Long Island traffic.

Is that an offer? You have a helicopter? I'll probably stop at Wagner, make a cameo visit and watch a half before heading to Stony Brook. I'm not expecting the Wagner-Colgate game to be a close one.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Meterologists are never that good this early, but here's the current outlook for Saturday:

55 and sunny during the day and 39 with a chance of showers at night

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Andy Talley was really pissed to find out we were playing this weekend. I ended up going to the Connelly Center where the team was watching the Selection show and there was a real awkward, delayed applause when we were announced. Word is we didn't even put in a bid for the 1st round, assuming that we would have a bye to Round 2.

What's even more awkward is I was there too....

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Stony Brook would have most likely out-bid Nova anyway. The Seawolves had a real nice crowd and a great atmosphere last year for the Albany game. Villanova is better off playing on the road, anyway. The Cats have been a pretty good road team, like I was saying earlier.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Stony Brook would have most likely out-bid Nova anyway. The Seawolves had a real nice crowd and a great atmosphere last year for the Albany game. Villanova is better off playing on the road, anyway. The Cats have been a pretty good road team, like I was saying earlier.

The Villanova - Holy Cross crowd 3 years ago, which was played over Thanksgiving weekend, was awful. Nova did have decent attendance though against UNH (for the snow bowl) and an incredibly good attendance against W&M. But Nova would not draw much at all over Thanksgiving weekend if you just go by the HC game.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 11:00 PM
All I can say is heads up MSU. Whoever survives this game is going to give you a run for your money in 2 weeks. Not only is this the best game of this round, but I think it will set up one of the best games of the 2nd round.

I predict the winner of the Villanova-Stony Brook game beats Montana State in the second round.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
The Villanova - Holy Cross crowd 3 years ago, which was played over Thanksgiving weekend, was awful. Nova did have decent attendance though against UNH (for the snow bowl) and an incredibly good attendance against W&M. But Nova would not draw much at all over Thanksgiving weekend if you just go by the HC game.

I was at the Holy Cross and William & Mary games. Missed the Snow Bowl to cover the Appalachian State-Richmond classic instead. AD Vince Nicastro has helped the football program with fairly competitive bids in the past.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Good attendance? Now I know all about under reporting to NCAA so you don't have to give them all your ticket revenue, and I know we did just that in '09. The reported attendance was 2661 and 4171 for those two games. I would not say either of those were well attended games. The HC game was reported at 4,319.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Good attendance? Now I know all about under reporting to NCAA so you don't have to give them all your ticket revenue, and I know we did just that in '09. The reported attendance was 2661 and 4171 for those two games. I would not say either of those were well attended games. The HC game was reported at 4,319.

Those numbers are absolute garbage. That's all I have to say about that.

The UNH game was not heavily intended due to a blizzard but still more than at the HC game. There were 10-11,000 at the W&M game.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I was at the Holy Cross and William & Mary games. Missed the Snow Bowl to cover the Appalachian State-Richmond classic instead. AD Vince Nicastro has helped the football program with fairly competitive bids in the past.

Nova didn't get home games because of bids that year. They were the 2 seed and therefore guaranteed homefield throughout the playoffs.

HailSzczur
November 18th, 2012, 11:16 PM

I agree. But I wouldn't say the UNH game was well attended. There were up near the top of SF, and we were the only ones in the section. Nobody to the right of us in SG or SH either. William and Mary game had a pretty good crowd though, if I had to pick a number I'd say 7k or so.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 11:19 PM
From the stats I've looked at so far, and what I've heard about SB's team, there could be 600 rushing yards total in this game...

ecasadoSBU
November 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM

Wow. I'm glad to see the support from a Fordham mate. I live in the Bronx so its even more special. In all honesty, I would love to see the Brook play 10 blocks away from my home. Hopefully one of these days we get Fordham on our schedule @ Fordham.

ecasadoSBU
November 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Happy to hear. I'm a Cablevision customer also so I'm very glad I can stop using my sister-in-laws Tie Warmer account through a remote connection!

Ha. I took my cousins account credentials and been using for the past two years. I'll probably continue using his account.. lol

danefan
November 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Ha. I took my cousins account credentials and been using for the past two years. I'll probably continue using his account.. lol
Don't lose them because you can't use your Optimm account login on the IPad App yet. Only watchespn.com

CHIP72
November 19th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Objectively-speaking, I think Villanova had the second-best profile of any CAA playoff contender. The one team one could argue had a better profile than Villanova wasn't UNH, it was Towson. Actually, based on a more detailed breakdown of the CAA playoff contenders' profiles, I think both Towson and Richmond also had stronger profiles than UNH. A big reason for that was UNH had an easier intra-CAA schedule than the other contenders and did not have a good road win, unlike Towson and Richmond (and Villanova).

knucklehead
November 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I think Liberty's DCord Robert Wimberly provided film on how to beat SBU. The only catch is you must have a beast LB to track Maysonette's every move. We shut down maysonette and played cover 2 on the WRs and Essington also saw a lot of line pressure. I do think SBU can make a run though.

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Roadtrip back to back weekends, I think so.

are you implying that Philly to Newark is a road trip? or just anticipating a win against Stony followed by another game?

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 08:37 AM
are you implying that Philly to Newark is a road trip? or just anticipating a win against Stony followed by another game?

Philly to Bethlehem would be considered a road trip for Nova fans so of course Philly to Newark is a road trip.

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

I considered it a road trip based on the packed car more than the 45 min commute time. There's no way in hell I'm driving to Bozeman if we win.

Nova09
November 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Still stunned we are playing Saturday and trying to get over how bitter I am about it and just focus on the excitement of playoff football. Plus side, I get to be at the game. But I really wish the committee, having decided nova and sbu would both play in the first round, had broken up colgate-wagner and paired one of those with each of nova-stony brook.

danefan
November 19th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Still stunned we are playing Saturday and trying to get over how bitter I am about it and just focus on the excitement of playoff football. Plus side, I get to be at the game. But I really wish the committee, having decided nova and sbu would both play in the first round, had broken up colgate-wagner and paired one of those with each of nova-stony brook.

I'm really surprised by that as well.

Would have thought Wagner @ SBU and Colgate @ Nova.

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm really surprised by that as well.

Would have thought Wagner @ SBU and Colgate @ Nova.

Exactly. When Nova is playing on Thanksgiving weekend, they almost always play the patriot league champion. I have no idea why the committee decided this year, of all years, that would change?

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Nova didn't get home games because of bids that year. They were the 2 seed and therefore guaranteed homefield throughout the playoffs.

I know that. Obviously the Cats were seeded. That doesn't mean that the Cats didn't put in competitive bids the year before. You're being Captain Obvious there.

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I know that. Obviously the Cats were seeded. That doesn't mean that the Cats didn't put in competitive bids the year before. You're being Captain Obvious there.

I just started following Villanova football when I came to the school in 2009. I have very little clue on Nova's history in the playoffs before 2009. The only thing I remember pre 2009 Villanova football was the JMU hail mary pass in 2008, because it made sportscenter. I'm one of the younger people on this board so you'll have to bear with my ignorance.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I agree. But I wouldn't say the UNH game was well attended. There were up near the top of SF, and we were the only ones in the section. Nobody to the right of us in SG or SH either. William and Mary game had a pretty good crowd though, if I had to pick a number I'd say 7k or so.

You might say the UNH game was well-attended considering it was played in a snow storm. I thought there was a nice crowd on a cold Friday night for the William & Mary game.

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
You might say the UNH game was well-attended considering it was played in a snow storm. I thought there was a nice crowd on a cold Friday night for the William & Mary game.

I guess that is true. But that same playoff year you saw the packed house at Wa-Griz in the snow (which obviously one cannot compare Villanova Stadium to). I don't really recall what the attendance was like back in '02 for the Fordham and Furman games and especially not for the Youngstown game in '97 since I was only 5 at the time lol.

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Villanova's sack and tackles for loss leader DE Rakim Cox has been ruled out with a knee injury. Not good news to start the week for the Cats

CHIP72
November 19th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I guess that is true. But that same playoff year you saw the packed house at Wa-Griz in the snow (which obviously one cannot compare Villanova Stadium to). I don't really recall what the attendance was like back in '02 for the Fordham and Furman games and especially not for the Youngstown game in '97 since I was only 5 at the time lol.

I don't think it is truly an apples to apples comparison when comparing the attendance at Villanova, which at best is the #3 college football team in its area in terms of fan interest (behind Penn State and Temple, and that's only including the Pennsylvania portion of the Philadelphia area) AND is in large pro sports market where interest in the Philadelphia Eagles dwarfs interest in any college football team, with the attendance at Montana, where the football team is not only the primary game in town but one of two primary football teams in the entire state.

Division I-AA teams in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota are sort of the equivalent of the biosystems in Australia and New Zealand. In Australia and New Zealand, because certain animals and plants didn't exist like they did in the rest of the world prior to contact by humans in general and Europeans in particular, different animals (particularly different types of birds) and vegetation flourished that were marginalized or pushed out entirely in other parts of the world. Likewise, in the three states I mentioned, there are no Division I-A college football teams and no nearby NFL teams, so the Division I-AA football teams there become the top teams in the state and receive the focus of attention from football fans that generally is given to NFL teams or Division I-A (often BCS) college teams elsewhere. Teams like Montana and North Dakota State are probably going to get better attendance for playoff games because those teams are the focus for an entire state (or at least a large chunk of an entire state) rather than being the focus of a much smaller region that also has its attention partially focused on higher profile (i.e. NFL and Division I-A) teams.

Catbooster
November 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I considered it a road trip based on the packed car more than the 45 min commute time. There's no way in hell I'm driving to Bozeman if we win.

Aw C'mon. You won't have to deal with much traffic by the time you're half way here. It'll be fun. :)

Good luck to both teams. Looking forward to playing one of you.

Last I saw, the weather here (for the 2nd round game Dec 1) is supposed to be clear, high in the 20's, low 3. Since the game is at 5:00, it will be dark here and once the sun goes down it cools off fast so the low is probably closer to game time temp. I assume since both teams are from the north (and good running teams) the weather won't matter much.

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Aw C'mon. You won't have to deal with much traffic by the time you're half way here. It'll be fun. :)

Good luck to both teams. Looking forward to playing one of you.

Last I saw, the weather here (for the 2nd round game Dec 1) is supposed to be clear, high in the 20's, low 3. Since the game is at 5:00, it will be dark here and once the sun goes down it cools off fast so the low is probably closer to game time temp. I assume since both teams are from the north (and good running teams) the weather won't matter much.

Already looking at the weather 2 weeks from now?? C'mon.. xnonox

jlcharles
November 19th, 2012, 01:49 PM

The UNH game was not heavily intended due to a blizzard but still more than at the HC game. There were 10-11,000 at the W&M game.

I was at all three games and the attendance was abysmal, but up to par for us. There were not 10k at the W&M game. The visiting side was nearly empty, the snack stand end of the home side was completely empty.

I moved to SG (where my season tickets were) in the second half. We were sharing it with maybe 10 people.

Kramden
November 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Exactly. When Nova is playing on Thanksgiving weekend, they almost always play the patriot league champion. I have no idea why the committee decided this year, of all years, that would change?

Same here. They obviously did not give much credit to 'Nova winning the CAA putting them up against Stony Brook as opposed to Colgate or Wagner. Same goes for Stony Brook who had a great year. Good luck to all the teams in the first round. Hopefully there will be some exciting games.

catbob
November 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Hopefully I get to watch this game this weekend, but likely won't.

Both teams appear to be running teams, yes? For the people saying the winner could/should beat MSU in Bozeman, should know the Cats only give up 96 yards a game on the ground this year, and just 8 rushing TDs. And it's not because teams are passing all over us, but do give up 214 a game and 14 TDs.

jlcharles
November 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Attendance was similar back then as well. There's just never been any real interest in the area for Nova football.

Youngstown was cold and very windy. I've hated Jim Tressel ever since.

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Both teams appear to be running teams, yes? For the people saying the winner could/should beat MSU in Bozeman, should know the Cats only give up 96 yards a game on the ground this year, and just 8 rushing TDs. And it's not because teams are passing all over us, but do give up 214 a game and 14 TDs.

Delaware led the CAA in rushing defense giving up 110 rushing yards per game and Nova put up more than 300 yards rushing on the game. Nova is definitely a run first offense - They have put up over 300 yards in each game their last 4 games.

catbob
November 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Delaware led the CAA in rushing defense giving up 110 rushing yards per game and Nova put up more than 300 yards rushing on the game. Nova is definitely a run first offense - They have put up over 300 yards in each game their last 4 games.

Oh I'm not saying we can shut them down completely. Nova scares me a bit more than SB as I know CAA teams are usually big on the lines, something the Cats struggle with. But the Griz who were averaging about 250 yards a game on the ground, rushed for 168 at home against us Saturday.

As far as SB/Nova goes, I think whoever can show success passing the ball could come away with the victory. It won't be a big passing game, but a few plays will have to be made through the air. Who has the upper edge in that category?

Nova09
November 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM

A significant portion of nova rushing comes from qb scrambles on not-designed runs. He's not top notch throwing, but I think descriptions like "capable" carry a connotation that he does just enough when necessary, which I think is inaccurate. Don't discount the nova passing game with Norm White an undeniable talent, Price continuously finding ways to produce, and Wells a great change of pace type who can do a lot with little space. If we win this weekend, I'd have to imagine it would be because we took advantage of opportunities through the air.

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Attendance was similar back then as well. There's just never been any real interest in the area for Nova football.

Youngstown was cold and very windy. I've hated Jim Tressel ever since.

The Fordham game was also after a snow storm though, I remember the big piles of snow in the first few rows. All I recall of the YSU game was their fans traveled well and hand a bunch of annoying cowbells.

jlcharles
November 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
The Fordham game was also after a snow storm though, I remember the big piles of snow in the first few rows. All I recall of the YSU game was their fans traveled well and hand a bunch of annoying cowbells.

I forgot about the snow. We chose to sit in the snow in SG rather than in the shade in front of the press box. And how could I forget about those stupid cowbells?

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I forgot about the snow. We chose to sit in the snow in SG rather than in the shade in front of the press box. And how could I forget about those stupid cowbells?

We ended up borrowing shovels to shovel out our place in SF. That game was an interesting one for us. We got a call that my dad's old roommate who has season tickets with us had heart attack. So as good friends we visited him at the hospital after the game. We still never let him live down missing that game.

As far as Saturday's game goes, I wonder how ticket sales are going. One of my friends just bought tickets, so it's not sold out yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

UNHFan
November 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM

I couldn't agree more!

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
A significant portion of nova rushing comes from qb scrambles on not-designed runs. He's not top notch throwing, but I think descriptions like "capable" carry a connotation that he does just enough when necessary, which I think is inaccurate. Don't discount the nova passing game with Norm White an undeniable talent, Price continuously finding ways to produce, and Wells a great change of pace type who can do a lot with little space. If we win this weekend, I'd have to imagine it would be because we took advantage of opportunities through the air.

The passing game has been fairly effective and efficient. I mean Robertson is completing 62% of his passes. Nova averages 8 yards a pass and over 13 per completion. The wide receiving core is probably the most experienced part of the team, and Robertson has a lot of a great targets. White and Price have led the way all season, but 4 other guys have over 100 yards receiving.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Would love to see Nova in Bozeman in two weeks. Storied program.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I predict the winner of the Villanova-Stony Brook game beats Montana State in the second round.

ECB!!!

Bring it whomever :)

VUCats02
November 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
As I recall, Nova seems to do pretty well against teams from Montana in the playoffs ;)

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM

make the drive, you'll have a great time

caribbeanhen
November 19th, 2012, 07:44 PM
looking forward to Nova or Stony shocking the state team of Montana

CopperCat
November 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Couldn't disagree with you more (for obvious reasons) but go watch the replay of cat-griz and then tell me the cats can't stop the run.

HailSzczur
November 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Just a heads up for the Stony Brook fans, here's a little stat break comparing current QB John Robertson to notable Nova running QB Chris Whitney of the '09 NC team. Whitney's stats are from his best year in that category.

Passing Yards:
Whitney: 2241 (2010)
Robertson:1830
Rushing Yards
Whitney: 987 (2009)
Robertson: 936
Passing Touchdowns
Whitney: 22 (2010)
Robertson: 14
Rushing Touchdowns
Whitney: 13 (2010)
Robertson: 13
Combined Touchdowns
Whitney: 35 (2010)
Robertson: 27
Yards per carry
Whitney: 4.9 (2009)
Robertson: 5.38
Completion percentage
Whitney: 65.1% (2010)
Robertson: 61.7
Yards per passing attempt
Whiteny: 6.98 (2010)
Robertson: 8.24
Total offensive yardage
Whitney: 2923 (2009)
Robertson 2766
http://novafacts.blogspot.com/

Not too shabby for a freshman

Seawolf97
November 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I don't think it is truly an apples to apples comparison when comparing the attendance at Villanova, which at best is the #3 college football team in its area in terms of fan interest (behind Penn State and Temple, and that's only including the Pennsylvania portion of the Philadelphia area) AND is in large pro sports market where interest in the Philadelphia Eagles dwarfs interest in any college football team, with the attendance at Montana, where the football team is not only the primary game in town but one of two primary football teams in the entire state.

Division I-AA teams in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota are sort of the equivalent of the biosystems in Australia and New Zealand. In Australia and New Zealand, because certain animals and plants didn't exist like they did in the rest of the world prior to contact by humans in general and Europeans in particular, different animals (particularly different types of birds) and vegetation flourished that were marginalized or pushed out entirely in other parts of the world. Likewise, in the three states I mentioned, there are no Division I-A college football teams and no nearby NFL teams, so the Division I-AA football teams there become the top teams in the state and receive the focus of attention from football fans that generally is given to NFL teams or Division I-A (often BCS) college teams elsewhere. Teams like Montana and North Dakota State are probably going to get better attendance for playoff games because those teams are the focus for an entire state (or at least a large chunk of an entire state) rather than being the focus of a much smaller region that also has its attention partially focused on higher profile (i.e. NFL and Division I-A) teams.

We had 10k plus this year for our home coming game against Colgate and probably 9k plus last year for our game against Albany . Considering our stadium only holds 8300 not bad. I expect a good turn out from both schools this Saturday.If it is anything like the crowd for game against Albany it will be great. Anyone who was there knows the place was rock'in all afternoon.

CHIP72
November 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM
We had 10k plus this year for our home coming game against Colgate and probably 9k plus last year for our game against Albany . Considering our stadium only holds 8300 not bad. I expect a good turn out from both schools this Saturday.If it is anything like the crowd for game against Albany it will be great. Anyone who was there knows the place was rock'in all afternoon.

Those are solid crowds. One thing I'll note is that with it being Thanksgiving weekend, the crowd might be a little smaller, just because people have other plans with family, friends, and Christmas shopping.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM
ECB!!!

Bring it whomever :)

Just because someone lives in Philly doesn't mean they have East Coast Bias. I am a California boy through and through and also lived 14 years in North Carolina — the South for you who are geographically challenged, not the East Coast. I have seen 22 games live this season (adding two more on Saturday), covering eight of the 13 conferences (I'll add No. 9 among the conferences in round two of the playoffs, when I see Illinois State take on Appalachian State), including the Big Sky. The only other conferences I haven't seen live this year are the PFL, the OVC, the Southland and the SWAC, though I've seen plenty of the OVC, Southland and SWAC on TV and DVD (seen some PFL, just not as much as the other conferences). Does that sound like bias? I've seen Montana State, Eastern Washington and Cal Poly all live in the past three years, as well.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:42 PM

It was definitely a great college atmosphere last year for that game. Looking forward to a similar feel, if Villanova can match Albany's contribution from last year. Sure beats the rainy Friday night Hofstra-Stony Brook game I saw there in 2008, where you could count the people by hand.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Dang, you were a baby when I started covering FCS full time.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM

I watched that game from a restaurant in Richmond, Va. before heading to the Appalachian State-Richmond game that night (the final game in UR/City Stadium history). I was bummed that I was missing a snow game, but I had Brett Kahn in the press box covering it for me. Fun, fun game.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Even with the torn labrum, Norman White had probably his best game of the season on Saturday at Villanova. He looked every bit the NFL talent that scouts in the league think he is. Robertson was throwing lasers on Saturday. He looked very sharp and has been improving as a passer as the season has progressed. Another note is how well Villanova has blocked in recent weeks. And besides the o-line, the receivers were throwing some great blocks on Saturday. One of the things that makes this Cat team dangerous is the fact that they are very balanced on offense and pretty solid on defense.

jlcharles
November 20th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I watched that game from a restaurant in Richmond, Va. before heading to the Appalachian State-Richmond game that night (the final game in UR/City Stadium history). I was bummed that I was missing a snow game, but I had Brett Kahn in the press box covering it for me. Fun, fun game.

There wasn't any snow on the field for the game. It had snowed the night before. It was sunny and freezing cold though. Now, that UNH game was a snow game. I couldn't find anyone to take my other ticket, so I sold it in front of the ticket office and went by myself. I was probably the only non parent that stayed to the end. I was soaked to the bone, my phone got broken from the water, and it will rank as my second favorite game behind the National Championship game that I was fortunate enough to attend.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2012, 01:14 AM
There wasn't any snow on the field for the game. It had snowed the night before. It was sunny and freezing cold though. Now, that UNH game was a snow game. I couldn't find anyone to take my other ticket, so I sold it in front of the ticket office and went by myself. I was probably the only non parent that stayed to the end. I was soaked to the bone, my phone got broken from the water, and it will rank as my second favorite game behind the National Championship game that I was fortunate enough to attend.

I was referring to the New Hampshire game. I absolutely love snow games. Had one in the playoffs two years ago when Western Illinois played Appalachian State. A week later, Villanova just got out of Dodge before another huge storm hit. I was snowed in most of the week in Boone and barely made it back up to Philly in time to watch Nova play on TV at Eastern Washington in that Friday night game before covering Delaware and Georgia Southern on Saturday.

HailSzczur
November 20th, 2012, 01:23 AM

That whole '09 run was incredible. But UNH was probably the most fun I have ever had watching the on the field product. Later that year we were sitting in front of Mrs. Szczur, Whitney, Pitts, Antwan Young, and Darrell Young at a Nova baseball game and they were amazed to see the pictures we took from that game on our phones. The next weekend was even colder and a real nail bitter. Still mad I couldn't get to Chattanooga, who knows though maybe a trip to Frisco is in the cards sometime in the next few weeks or years.

ecasadoSBU
November 20th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Those are solid crowds. One thing I'll note is that with it being Thanksgiving weekend, the crowd might be a little smaller, just because people have other plans with family, friends, and Christmas shopping.

The Albany-Stony Brook matchup was also on Thanksgiving weekend and we were able to get 8,286 at LaValle. I would be happy if we get such a turnout again!

Walkon79
November 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Just because someone lives in Philly doesn't mean they have East Coast Bias. I am a California boy through and through and also lived 14 years in North Carolina — the South for you who are geographically challenged, not the East Coast. I have seen 22 games live this season (adding two more on Saturday), covering eight of the 13 conferences (I'll add No. 9 among the conferences in round two of the playoffs, when I see Illinois State take on Appalachian State), including the Big Sky. The only other conferences I haven't seen live this year are the PFL, the OVC, the Southland and the SWAC, though I've seen plenty of the OVC, Southland and SWAC on TV and DVD (seen some PFL, just not as much as the other conferences). Does that sound like bias? I've seen Montana State, Eastern Washington and Cal Poly all live in the past three years, as well.

Dude, Carolina is on the EAST COAST if I'm not mistaken. So covering FCS (poorly) for so many years makes you an expert?

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
The Albany-Stony Brook matchup was also on Thanksgiving weekend and we were able to get 8,286 at LaValle. I would be happy if we get such a turnout again!

Thanksgiving is actually a great time for Villanova to be playing at SBU. Nova has a ton of students and alumni that will be home on Long Island that weekend.

Albany had more people at SBU than we probably would have had at home last year.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Only FCS game this weekend I'm looking forward to. VU was impressive last Saturday & I'm interested to see what SBU looks like for their entry into the CAA next season. I'll be watching online.

Seawolf97
November 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
The long range local weather for Saturday says light rain Friday night into Saturday morning. Clearing after that with temps in the 50's by game time. It could be windy though maybe a factor for both teams teams. Looking forward to this match up kond of a pre season CAA match up for 2013.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Dude, Carolina is on the EAST COAST if I'm not mistaken. So covering FCS (poorly) for so many years makes you an expert?

When you live in the North Carolina mountains, you are nowhere close to the ocean, or the east coast. So name someone else who covers FCS more throughly than CSJ? Nice cheap shot there.

ecasadoSBU
November 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM
When you live in the North Carolina mountains, you are nowhere close to the ocean, or the east coach. So name someone else who covers FCS more throughly than CSJ? Nice cheap shot there.

I believe Boone, N.C is considered part of a wider region named Appalachia (as your University's name implies), if I'm not mistaken?!? The culture is different to the coastal cities of the eastern seaboard... But its understandable that he doesn't know much about it. I don't know much either and what I do know is due to the extensive reading I have done on regions of the U.S...

I would like to travel down there one day. I've never been anywhere south of D.C...

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM
I believe Boone, N.C is considered part of a wider region named Appalachia (as your University's name implies), if I'm not mistaken?!? The culture is different to the coastal cities of the eastern seaboard... But its understandable that he doesn't know much about it. I don't know much either and what I do know is due to the extensive reading I have done on regions of the U.S...

I would like to travel down there one day. I've never been anywhere south of D.C...

My university? I just have a house about 30 minutes outside of town. We moved there from California because my wife got a nice job at the regional hospital in town. For some reason people think I attended Appalachian State, but my sheepskin still says Fresno State. Now the town is named after one of my kinfolks, however.

The culture in Appalachia is really different. I guess its all of us Scots-Irish folks who settled there. It's not really the South, but it isn't the East Coast mentality either. Totally its own animal.

PJ McJorma
November 21st, 2012, 03:24 AM
The Colgate game at Stony Brook drew 10,000 +/- ...biggest crowd in LaValle Stadium history; Nova should bring at least that much

ecasadoSBU
November 21st, 2012, 06:17 AM
My university? I just have a house about 30 minutes outside of town. We moved there from California because my wife got a nice job at the regional hospital in town. For some reason people think I attended Appalachian State, but my sheepskin still says Fresno State. Now the town is named after one of my kinfolks, however.

The culture in Appalachia is really different. I guess its all of us Scots-Irish folks who settled there. It's not really the South, but it isn't the East Coast mentality either. Totally its own animal.

LOL. I'm new here. I don't know who's a fan of what so that explains my assumption!

HailSzczur
November 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
For any Nova fans out there, Comcast Sportsnet will be showing the '09 National Championship game at 7:00. What a way to celebrate Thanksgiving!

Bossanova
November 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
That game gets better every time I watch it. Watching the game on TV, I did not realize how hard it was raining at times during the game.

Just shows you how much I was into the game down there. That was real football weather.

ecasadoSBU
November 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Kyle Essington may not start for the Seawolves. Coach Priore said Lyle Negron should be ready, he has been taking most of the snaps in practice

Bossanova
November 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
ecasadoSBU:

Hope your starting QB plays.

What can we expect from backup. He has not seen much action, has he?

ecasadoSBU
November 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
I dont even know what to say. this couldn't come at a worst time :(

but according to Priore, Lyle Negron should be ready to back us up. He's been practicing the past two weeks

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
Everything you need to know - information, audio/video links, the live score, ticket links, are here:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/612-fcs-playoffs-game-central-villanova-at-stony-brook

So, any interesting, um news on this game? Will try to add at least some links of the unofficial media reports to the page as time warrants.

heath
November 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
The Colgate game at Stony Brook drew 10,000 +/- ...biggest crowd in LaValle Stadium history; Nova should bring at least that much

Would be nice,but Nova only broke the 10,000 mark once this year at home.With most students away for the Big Bird, hope alumni and family make up the difference.

HailSzczur
November 23rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Any SBU fans have an update on Essington?

HailSzczur
November 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Answered my own question. Essington is a no go

On Friday a Stony Brook school official said that starting quarterback Kyle Essington, who has thrown 22 touchdown passes, is out for the game with a thigh injury.

Lyle Negron, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound junior who has attempted five passes, will get the start.

Stony Brook (9-2) is known more for its ground game. The Seawolves average 39.1 points per game and 290.5 yards per contest rushing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/Villanova_to_face_backup_Stony_Brook_QB.html

ecasadoSBU
November 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm going to miss watching Essington play tomorrow. But last year we lost our quarterback Michael Coulter and our backup Kyle Essington stepped in and arguably made them team better for the rest of the season... I'm hoping Lyle Negron steps in and does a great job out there.

The game has not yet sold out but I believe that by game time tomorrow it should sell out. Lets see if the students that live in NYC/Nassau come around for the game. LetsGoSeawolves

HailSzczur
November 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
I'm going to miss watching Essington play tomorrow. But last year we lost our quarterback Michael Coulter and our backup Kyle Essington stepped in and arguably made them team better for the rest of the season... I'm hoping Lyle Negron steps in and does a great job out there.

The game has not yet sold out but I believe that by game time tomorrow it should sell out. Lets see if the students that live in NYC/Nassau come around for the game. LetsGoSeawolves

Luckily for Stony Brook they are a run happy team so it shouldn't be as big of a deal as it could be. Though will put a lot extra burden on the RB

ngineer
November 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
I'm hoping the 'cats win big. SBU has our spot.

HailSzczur
November 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Well it's time to head to Nova to catch the bus up to Stony Brook. Looking forward to great game. Hope the MSU fans watch to see how full their hands are going to be next weekend

robsnotes4u
November 24th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Well it's time to head to Nova to catch the bus up to Stony Brook. Looking forward to great game. Hope the MSU fans watch to see how full their hands are going to be next weekend

Wish I had ESPN3, going to go to Fargo Billiards and watch SDSU with the Bison fans. I have Nova picked in your game. Good luck, and one of you will be lucky to spend next weekend vacationing in God's Country for their last game of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2012, 07:00 AM

hope you get there by Kickoff, I am thinking the last 40 miles of that trip will be a traffic nightmare

ecasadoSBU
November 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Up and ready for PLAYOFFS! Basketball game at 12pm so I'm almost heading out to the Brook.

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Oh, I'm watching. I watched the Stony Brook v. Liberty game yesterday. Although that was a game that Stony lost, they looked like an impressive team with quite a lot of talent. May your game be long, exciting, and exhausting. Please have 5OT. Good luck!

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM

"Nice crowd"? There were 4171 in attendance, and 1500+ were Tribe fans. W&M Pep Band had to do a halftime show because the Nova pep band was a no-show. That game was an embarrassment for Nova fans. ESPN2 for a semifinal, and crowd noise on the broadcast was all Tribe. A helluva game that unfortunately was decided by a meddling replay official from the Big East. In truth, that was the championship game.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Andy Talley quoted in today's Philadelphia Inquirer stated that his team is "banged up" and he wished he had some time to recover. Quote Sir Talley: "We have to find a way to overcome being banged around and beat up, and we dont have the liberty (pun intended?) to rest"...When do we play the Seahawks again? They were good games indeed!!

VUCats02
November 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
"Nice crowd"? There were 4171 in attendance, and 1500+ were Tribe fans. W&M Pep Band had to do a halftime show because the Nova pep band was a no-show. That game was an embarrassment for Nova fans. ESPN2 for a semifinal, and crowd noise on the broadcast was all Tribe. A helluva game that unfortunately was decided by a meddling replay official from the Big East. In truth, that was the championship game.

The game was on a night before finals. Of course Nova's band wouldn't be there... Academics come first at Nova, as I'm sure they do at W&M. If W&M students had finals the next day, I can guarantee you their band wouldn't be there.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Yes, William had a hell of a D that year, that was the championship game for sure - don't remember the meddling ref though

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
The game was on a night before finals. Of course Nova's band wouldn't be there... Academics come first at Nova, as I'm sure they do at W&M. If W&M students had finals the next day, I can guarantee you their band wouldn't be there.

Saturday finals? Rough stuff!

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, William had a hell of a D that year, that was the championship game for sure - don't remember the meddling ref though

It was the replay official in the booth. Reversed call on third down giving Nova ball at W&M 6 during winning TD drive. Had drinks with the Southland Conference crew after the game, and referee said he was stunned when replay official after long delay said "I think we need to overturn this one". Said he wanted to say "What do you mean you think?", but he was not allowed to say anything. Referee had already apologized to W&M coaches after replay official made two long reviews during earlier Tribe drive. Ref knew it was disrupting W&M tempo. The on-field crew for that game was as good as I've ever seen at FCS level.