November 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
No thanks

cbarrier90
November 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Want to trade places with us in the brackets? Please. You can have the seed. :(

I'm fine, thanks.

tractorapp
November 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM
You guys enjoy that. Hey, to win the big prize you got to beat the champ eventually
. Hope we can take care of business against Ill. St and move on. I want to see App play on that red turf.

SOCON DOMINATES
November 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Enjoy your week off, got to win one game each week to win it all. Getting ready for the Redbirds!

asumike83
November 18th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Not sure how I feel about our draw either. Illinois State is a tough team and if we do win, we've got to go all the way across the country to Eastern Washington after they destroy the Colgate/Wagner winner. UCA is no easy first game either but I'd rather travel down the road to ODU than head all the way out to Cheney.

Won't matter if we can't get past ISU, though. Let's go!

asujch
November 18th, 2012, 12:59 PM

only if you want to go play on that horrendous red turf :D

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM
yall both just take care of business and let's make some SoCon noise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

McLeansvilleAppFan
November 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I can't believe how lopsided the bracket seems to be... and I am not complaining.

theasushow
November 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Wonder if ASU would have been the 5 seed had they won the autobid? Or for that matter...Wofford had they won it.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'll be surprised if the three of us get past the first game. Just too many holes/missing pieces for all of us.

GSU has a mediocre OL, a below average secondary, and a horrendous pat/fg unit.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM
You guys enjoy that. Hey, to win the big prize you got to beat the champ eventually
. Hope we can take care of business against Ill. St and move on. I want to see App play on that red turf.

I honestly think you'll destroy EWU, they've been playing poorly lately. But it's playoffs so you can never know.

MaxASU'81
November 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Let's Play, win and see what happens...I like the idea that we have a bye until Dec 1. so we can get some of the peeps healed up...then come to play!

Offensive side,
Steven Miller needs to get rested, the recievers needed to heal up...Washington and The Chancellor.....Can Acey get back by the game?

Defense:
Get Grier all the way back, Lott has been banged up, Robinson gets much needed rest....

Go APPS!

Saint3333
November 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I agree I don't see any SoCon teams in the semis.

Southern Bison
November 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm looking forward to App St. on that ugly red turf walking away with a win.

jonmac
November 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I honestly think you'll destroy EWU, they've been playing poorly lately. But it's playoffs so you can never know.

We'll have to get by Illinois State first. Good record against some decent competition. I'm glad we will have had some time to heal up. Hoping we come out fresh and together and roll the Redbirds.

ncguitarplyr
November 18th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Heads up: I started a bracket challenge contest over at my App State site. It's open to everyone though, not just App State fans:

http://www.appstatenation.com/2012/1...ket-challenge/

asumike83
November 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm looking forward to App St. on that ugly red turf walking away with a win.

We've got serious work to do before we can get a shot. Illinois State is a damn good team. Some bad losses but they can play with anyone if they're on.

Cincy App
November 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM

The 5th seed only matters to teams that don't draw well. It also puts you in the top half of the bracket with the #1 seed. Thus, the 5 seed gives little advantage to teams like ASU or GSU. I do prefer where ASU is bracketed compared to GSU. However, both of us have to play well to advance. Good luck to Wofford as well.

frozennorth
November 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM
We've got serious work to do before we can get a shot. Illinois State is a damn good team. Some bad losses but they can play with anyone if they're on.

they haven't lost on the road.

EdubAlum
November 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Just keep winning will you? Then we can kick your bobcat asses in Bozeman AND Cheney this year.

Gringer1
November 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
This bracket is so lopsided, it could capsize a ship. I don't know who, but somebody who should be in the title game will lose in the 1st 2 rounds on the NDSU side of the bracket.

asumike83
November 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
they haven't lost on the road.

Win @ Indiana State and UNI, lose at home to Missouri State and Southern Illinois. Tough team to figure, but you could say the same thing about App.

md64179
November 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I like our chances in the first few games. Going to be tough, but I'm hoping the rest will do our team well. I could easily see us going to the 4th round or losing to ISU. Going to be fun.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'll be surprised if the three of us get past the first game. Just too many holes/missing pieces for all of us.

Yeah, you don't pass so you cannot win.

Accelerati Incredibilus
November 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Midwestern teams tend to be big and physical, but have a hard time dealing with a lot of speed. We saw it when W Ill (42-14) came to Boone - even if it was in the snow - S Ill (38-24) and Youngstown (49-24). ASU's team speed is outstanding and the receiving corps is as good as you'll find. However, both lines have been suspect all year and this may wind up being one of those games where one team grinds it out and the other strikes quickly. Should be a fun game to watch.

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Any team in the top 16 is no cupcake. App has come out flat in the playoffs the last 2 years so it's time to come out with some energy. Ill State has had a similar year to App so I expect a tough game. I do hope the Apps can win and get to play on the Red turf. With the wide outs that both EWU and ASU have that could become a pretty good track meet. App has to get there first. I do think the upper bracket is totally loaded.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
App is a really balanced team, a running back with over 1200 yds, and a passing attack as good, as anyones in the country, top offensive team in the SC. Problem is we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot, we have alot of problems in the redzone, and a QB, while a Payton finalist, tends to make 2 or 3 bonehead plays a game. We tend to get frustrated becouse teams use 5 dbs for most of the game, force us to throw short, to the sidelines, and evenually we will try a force a ball in the middle of the field where bad things happen

THE HERD
November 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
We'll have to get by Illinois State first. Good record against some decent competition. I'm glad we will have had some time to heal up. Hoping we come out fresh and together and roll the Redbirds.

The Redbirds have a massive o-line and a couple real good D-lineman, so they have a good core. Their QB Matt Brown is a very good QB and if you have a weak secondary or can't get pressure, he will eat ya up. They have a lot of FBS transfers and have seemed to make it work and develop some chemistry. Brown is the MVFC all time leading passer I believe, but if you can get some pressure he will throw some picks.

isured89
November 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Well, I guess I can give my two cents on Illinois State since we don't have many posters out here.

Evident by our baffling losses to Mo State and S. Illinois, the Redbirds are probably the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the field. One week they're shutout by Southern, the next they're rattling off impressive road wins at UNI and ISUb.

Offense: This team thrives off balance. The running game is good, but not great, and the same could be said about the passing attack. Four year starting quarterback Matt Brown is a cool customer. He isn't immune to turning the ball over, but he rarely gets rattled. He has a great knack for avoiding pressure and making plays. Brown's top target is Tyrone Walker. The veteran receiver is a threat to go deep or across the middle. He won't jump out at you with his physical appearance, but he has great hands and is surprisingly quick. The running attack is lead by Darrelynn Dunn. The power runner is usually good for a few yards a carry, but rarely breaks loose for big runs. The Birds also like to use Hunt and Coprich as change-of-pace backs.

Defense: ISU features an intimidating front 7 and a much improved secondary. D end Colton Underwood lived in opponents' backfields this season, while fellow linemen Harris and Palmer love to eat up the run. Linebacker Evan Frierson's numbers are down from a year ago, but the Illinois transfer is still a handful coming off the end. In the secondary, Ben Ericksen is one of the best interception artists in all of FCS. That said, the D isn't infallible. Good offenses will score on them, especially ones who can sling the ball (YSU & EIU come to mind).

Special teams: Quite a few gaffes on special teams this year. Kick return TD by NDSU, punt block TD by SIU, punt block by UNI. Aussiker is a serviceable kicker and Wright is a decent punter. The return men are all pretty average.

Coach: Spack has done a great job turning this program around. With less than awesome facilities and fan support, the fact that this is a playoff team says something. He's a tough love guy and does a pretty good job with his schemes. The second half 180s they pulled on EMU and YSU we're things of beauty.

'Fans': One word, APATHETIC. Illinois State fancies itself a basketball school and doesn' t care much for this second tier football stuff. The number 1 team was in town last week, with the conference title on the line, and they couldn't even get 6000 butts in seats. This program has come a long way. Hopefully with continued success, and a new stadium addition, the fan base will develop. We're definitely new money when it comes to FCS success, forgive some of our ignorance.

Go Birds!

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 11:31 PM

Did I just time warp back to 2006? Is Brian VanGorder still the Georgia Southern coach?

eaglewraith
November 20th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Did I just time warp back to 2006? Is Brian VanGorder still the Georgia Southern coach?

Difference: We had a decent OL but horrible playcalling, an ok secondary, and a horrendus pat/fg unit.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I agree, but they got the 2 seed even though everyone else in the country had the Cats at number 2 and them farther down the line.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM
This bracket is so lopsided, it could capsize a ship. I don't know who, but somebody who should be in the title game will lose in the 1st 2 rounds on the NDSU side of the bracket.
NDSU bracket is easier than the Montana State, EWU bracket IMO

WataugaDave
November 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
only if you want to go play on that horrendous red turf :D

God, I can't believe that's even allowed.

SpeedkingATL
November 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Well, I guess I can give my two cents on Illinois State since we don't have many posters out here.

Evident by our baffling losses to Mo State and S. Illinois, the Redbirds are probably the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the field. One week they're shutout by Southern, the next they're rattling off impressive road wins at UNI and ISUb.

Offense: This team thrives off balance. The running game is good, but not great, and the same could be said about the passing attack. Four year starting quarterback Matt Brown is a cool customer. He isn't immune to turning the ball over, but he rarely gets rattled. He has a great knack for avoiding pressure and making plays. Brown's top target is Tyrone Walker. The veteran receiver is a threat to go deep or across the middle. He won't jump out at you with his physical appearance, but he has great hands and is surprisingly quick. The running attack is lead by Darrelynn Dunn. The power runner is usually good for a few yards a carry, but rarely breaks loose for big runs. The Birds also like to use Hunt and Coprich as change-of-pace backs.

Defense: ISU features an intimidating front 7 and a much improved secondary. D end Colton Underwood lived in opponents' backfields this season, while fellow linemen Harris and Palmer love to eat up the run. Linebacker Evan Frierson's numbers are down from a year ago, but the Illinois transfer is still a handful coming off the end. In the secondary, Ben Ericksen is one of the best interception artists in all of FCS. That said, the D isn't infallible. Good offenses will score on them, especially ones who can sling the ball (YSU & EIU come to mind).

Special teams: Quite a few gaffes on special teams this year. Kick return TD by NDSU, punt block TD by SIU, punt block by UNI. Aussiker is a serviceable kicker and Wright is a decent punter. The return men are all pretty average.

Coach: Spack has done a great job turning this program around. With less than awesome facilities and fan support, the fact that this is a playoff team says something. He's a tough love guy and does a pretty good job with his schemes. The second half 180s they pulled on EMU and YSU we're things of beauty.

'Fans': One word, APATHETIC. Illinois State fancies itself a basketball school and doesn' t care much for this second tier football stuff. The number 1 team was in town last week, with the conference title on the line, and they couldn't even get 6000 butts in seats. This program has come a long way. Hopefully with continued success, and a new stadium addition, the fan base will develop. We're definitely new money when it comes to FCS success, forgive some of our ignorance.

Go Birds!

Thanks for the summary. Based on what you stated it appears the key to the game will be App young offensive line and rather they can at least get a stalemate at the line of scrimage. If App's QB Jackson gets a little time in the pocket App's WR will have a field day; if not Jackson can make some mistakes and the vertical passing game disappears. As someone else stated, this ISU team sounds a little like some of the JMU teams when Landers was the QB; big and physical only ISU might have a better passing attack.