PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire over Towson?

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM
There is simply no justification for New Hampshire getting in as the third CAA team ahead of Towson and avoiding the first round to boot. Did the game yesterday not happen? So, Towson beat the CAA auto-bid team and won the head-to-head game by 29 points but the Wildcats get the at-large?

One of the worst decisions by the committee I can remember.

TUTigers
November 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM
THANK YOU

dgreco
November 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
and SBU in too. I think there are arguments for UNH and SBU being last two out and another two teams, including Towson, being last two in.

Mattymc727
November 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I also dont understand, at all

EKUSteve
November 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Too bad they do not interview the committee head for this....

Mattymc727
November 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I actually thought that last CAA spot was easy. Just go with head to head when all is said and done, Towson>UNH>Richmond. UNH got very lucky, hopefully they do something with this gift so we dont have to hear how bad of a pick it was...

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
You can color me stunned. I thought UNH and Richmond would get in over SBU ... obviously UNH knocked UR out with the H2H. They also didn't take a 4 loss team, so my guess is that's the reason UNH got in. Why UNH got a second round placement over Nova is beyond me, though.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I don't get it either. Did the committee just look at their W-L records?

SpiderSafety75
November 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
UNH beat the Spiders, sure, but UR beat Nova AT THEIR PLACE. And they sit at home?

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Politics, that is why it is behind closed doors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bostonspider
November 18th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think had VU not gotten the autobid, UR would have taken their spot. Son thanks TU for beating UNH and knocking UR out..

SpiderSafety75
November 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I can't sat Towson got jobbed because they lost four games...that's hard to overlook, even with 2 of them BCS...but I think they were deserving. And Richmond certainly should have been in - I don't think more than 2 or 3 of the prediction posts saw them on the sidelines. A joke.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Towson beat Villanova and New Hampshire on the road in the last three weeks. They have the same number of DI wins as Wofford and Sam Houston State so hard to use only 7 wins as justification for leaving them out.

RichH2
November 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Puzzling. Other than politics can see no rationale for SB over TU or UR.

kdinva
November 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Why UNH got a second round placement over Nova is beyond me, though.

+1 UNH should be going to Long Island.........

Eight Legger
Towson beat Villanova and New Hampshire on the road in the last three weeks. They have the same number of DI wins as Wofford and Sam Houston State so hard to use only 7 wins as justification for leaving them out.

Wofford, Stony Brook, maybe Illinois State...those are the ones that are difficult to figure.

HailSzczur
I think had VU not gotten the autobid, UR would have taken their spot. Son thanks TU for beating UNH and knocking UR out..

Most likely. We had the fact that we lost to the other 2 bubble teams (TU and UR) going against us. What a weird chain of events

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I had the Spiders out simply because they weren't ranked high enough in either the polls or the computers. Thought the CAA would only get three teams in a somewhat down year. Gardner-Webb and VMI non-conference didn't help.

SingForever
November 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Puzzling. Other than politics can see no rationale for SB over TU or UR.No reason whatsoever. Lehigh made more sense.

redspider
November 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
What I don't get is how the Spiders were left out???? Really they put SDSU and Illinois State ahead of us what???

Mattymc727
November 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Perhaps the Committee looked at UNH's #7 ranking and didnt see the reason for dropping them out of the top 20 even after the debacle yesterday....Thats the only reason I can see UNH over Towson, just too far ahead in the polls

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Puzzling. Other than politics can see no rationale for SB over TU or UR.

I thought Stony Brook would get in. Beat Army and played Syracuse tough and also knocked off Colgate. Ranked in the top 10 for a decent stretch. Good enough to get a bid.

atlfcsfan
November 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Wofford, Stony Brook, maybe Illinois State...those are the ones that are difficult to figure.

IM suprised too. i thought New Hampshire getting killed would have kept them out and maybe gave it to Richmond.

Wofford probably played themselves in by hanging with South Caronlina for 3+ quarters yesterday. A bit suprised by Stony Brook, but figured either Lehigh or Stony Brook would get in.

LehighU11
November 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Towson really deserved to be in the field. It's a real shame they had those 2 FBS losses. I watched 7 of their games this year, as well as seeing them at Unitas in last year's playoffs, and they have improved significantly over the course of the season. They didn't back in like UNH, Wofford, or Illinois St. And their record and teams beaten is far more impressive than Sam Houston St. Those 4, with the exception of Ill St, all got in ahead of Towson because of past seasons. I think the Tigers could have won the whole thing.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Perhaps the Committee looked at UNH's #7 ranking and didnt see the reason for dropping them out of the top 20 even after the debacle yesterday....Thats the only reason I can see UNH over Towson, just too far ahead in the polls

UNH's average computer ranking heading into yesterday was 25th. That's before losing at home by four touchdowns. And I'm sure they will drop sharply in the human polls as well. So, the committee put them in because of last week's polls?

It's ridiculous, but looks like it happened with UNH, Wofford and Stony Brook as well.

TSU86
November 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
this is horse crap.
One question the committee should ask is "what at large teams are cabable of winning the whole thing". I don't think anyone would question that TU is on a roll and could beat anyone.
I'm not sure "backing in" is the right term for UNH. They friggin got obliterated.

Mattymc727
November 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
UNH's average computer ranking heading into yesterday was 25th. That's before losing at home by four touchdowns. And I'm sure they will drop sharply in the human polls as well. So, the committee put them in because of last week's polls?

It's ridiculous, but looks like it happened with UNH, Wofford and Stony Brook as well.

I agree, like I said, Im confused too. Thats just the only reason i could think of the committee doing that, Im a fan of the results on the field too.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
As I mentioned before, Towson scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. There was no teams with 4 losses in the field as at-larges.

When it comes down to it, Towson was apparently not in contention (because if they were, they'd be in over UNH) ... UNH gets the nod over UR due to H2H. UNH over Nova is a huge headscratcher, though.

etiger
November 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Total Political Bull SH^&. How can the committie take UNH over Towson when Towson obliterated this team. Towson also beat Nova. The Slection Committie is a total Joke.

DJnva
November 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
To me the question is Stony Brook over Towson

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Total Political Bull SH^&. How can the committie take UNH over Towson when Towson obliterated this team. Towson also beat Nova. The Slection Committie is a total Joke.

Whatever happened to "you are only as good as your last game"?

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Whatever happened to "you are only as good as your last game"?

Not applicable to an 11 game season?

NovaHater
November 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
If Towson wants to pimp out their team for an FBS payday their AD is to blame for not making the playoffs, not the selection committee.
What idiot schedules 2 games with an FBS opponent ? The $$$$ signs are obviously more importatant to Towson AD Waddell than what is best for it's football program. The coaches and kids suffer while the school makes money, for what ? Aren't they cutting mens baseball and soccer ?

Does Towson belong in the playoffs, absolutely. The committee had an easy out with the 4 losses, they didn't want 4 CAA teams anyway. UNH owes the Towson administration a big Thank You !

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Crapsville Bar >>>>>>>
xpeacex

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
So, if Towson scheduled themselves out of the playoffs by finishing 7-4, what exactly happened in 2010 when New Hampshire and Villanova both got at-large bids at 7-4?

frozennorth
November 18th, 2012, 01:59 PM
if yo want to bitch about someone getting in, bitch about wofford, not unh.

8 > 7 after all.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
So, if Towson scheduled themselves out of the playoffs by finishing 7-4, what exactly happened in 2010 when New Hampshire and Villanova both got at-large bids at 7-4?

Different field

King
November 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
You're the only one still on the anti Wofford kick. Get a clue.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM
1 game does not make a season. If both UNH and Towson had ended up 8-3 then Towson would have been picked........being 7-4 cost them (let that be a lesson to those choosing FBS $$$ over a possible playoff berth). And not that it should matter.......but 8 playoff appearances (now 9) in a row probably helped UNH as well.

Stony Brook was an easy at-large pick........9-2 with a win over Army and the Patriot League Champ and one of the losses being to Syracuse!......come on. At 8-3.......they would have been sitting home with the D-2 win.......but 9-2 with that schedule and those wins was definitely worthy.

SC-T-Dogg
November 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
if yo want to bitch about someone getting in, bitch about wofford, not unh.

8 > 7 after all.

Put down the solo cup, listen to yourself. That is crazy talk.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
If it's about wins, then how does Lehigh not get in with 10?

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM

SOS.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Two words....Eye Test.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Not applicable to an 11 game season?

Dude, your team getting into this field is one of the WORST decisions that the NCAA Division I Football Committee has ever made. A team that gives up 128 points in two losses has no business in the field, particularly with that final game performance. Your team was the fifth best team in the CAA this season

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Dude, your team getting into this field is one of the WORST decisions that the NCAA Division I Football Committee has ever made. A team that gives up 128 points in two losses has no business in the field, particularly with that final game performance. Your team was the fifth best team in the CAA this season

Really? They beat Richmond and didn't play Villanova. How do you know?

dgreco
November 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
no way to put other than that Towson got screwed.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 02:32 PM
no way to put other than that Towson got screwed.

Towson screwed themselves.......a ton of CAA fans predicted this when the Towson schedule came out and we all saw 2 FBS games........let this be a warning to others scheduling 2 FBS games......especially in an 11 game season.

ODUalum78
November 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Towson screwed themselves.......a ton of CAA fans predicted this when the Towson schedule came out and we all saw 2 FBS games........let this be a warning to others scheduling 2 FBS games......especially in an 11 game season.
Agreed.

Most of the CAA boards, and even the Towson fans themselves, acknowledged that 2 FBS losses could make the playoffs problematic for the Tigers.

Towson was a very good team, certainly playoff caliber; however this should come as no surprise to anyone.

dazedandconfused
November 18th, 2012, 02:47 PM
The point is UNH beat 1 team with a winning record all year and that was Richmond. They lost by 29 at home yesterday to Towson. They are then rewarded with a second round game.

Towson still has 7 FCS wins including wins on the road 3 out of the last 4 weeks against ranked teams (at the time w/ Delaware).

The App State AD comes on and talks about rewarding teams that beat good teams. How does UNH fall into this category and then be considered to not be one of the last two teams in.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM

There's nothing that suggests UNH was even the worst at-large selection (Stony Brook, coming from the Big South, should get that honor). They're CERTAINLY not the fifth best team in the CAA, since they beat Richmond, and Towson played themselves out of the playoffs considering no teams with 4 losses were considered. Is Towson better than UNH? Absolutely. Is UNH much better than Richmond, or perhaps even better at all? Probably not. UNH got fortunate that they beat the team tehy were in direct competition with.

Richmond should've been in over SBU, though, and UNH should be playing in the first round, not Villanova. I assume you've been watching football enough to know that offense is also counted in the score. You know, the team that dropped 61 on ODU in Virginia, and also put 35 up against Towson? So yes, 128 points are awful. Should ODU feel good about 61 or Towson 35?

I think UNH got a gift into round 2, but if Lehigh wasn't a candidate and didn't get in, then UNH should've been in no doubt.

dazedandconfused
November 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
There's nothing that suggests UNH was even the worst at-large selection (Stony Brook, coming from the Big South, should get that honor). They're CERTAINLY not the fifth best team in the CAA, since they beat Richmond, and Towson played themselves out of the playoffs considering no teams with 4 losses were considered. Is Towson better than UNH? Absolutely. Is UNH much better than Richmond, or perhaps even better at all? Probably not. UNH got fortunate that they beat the team tehy were in direct competition with.

Richmond should've been in over SBU, though, and UNH should be playing in the first round, not Villanova. I assume you've been watching football enough to know that offense is also counted in the score. You know, the team that dropped 61 on ODU in Virginia, and also put 35 up against Towson? So yes, 128 points are awful. Should ODU feel good about 61 or Towson 35?

I think UNH got a gift into round 2, but if Lehigh wasn't a candidate and didn't get in, then UNH should've been in no doubt.

Why should UNH be in? You beat 1 team with a winning record. 1 team!!!! You shouldn't have even been considered over Lehigh, Towson or Northern Arizona. It is a complete joke.

dwtime
November 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
There is simply no justification for New Hampshire getting in as the third CAA team ahead of Towson and avoiding the first round to boot. Did the game yesterday not happen? So, Towson beat the CAA auto-bid team and won the head-to-head game by 29 points but the Wildcats get the at-large?

One of the worst decisions by the committee I can remember.

8-3 over 7-4 end of story, makes perfect sense to me and UNH gets a first round bye. Your whining is directed to the wrong place. Next time don't play two FBS schools in the same year Towson. Nobody should get 'rewarded' for losing to an FBS team, and someone has to be left out.

dwtime
November 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Don't schedule two FBS schools in the same season, blame your AD.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Why should UNH be in? You beat 1 team with a winning record. 1 team!!!! You shouldn't have even been considered over Lehigh, Towson or Northern Arizona. It is a complete joke.

Wait, so who did Lehigh beat? NAU had 7 DI wins and lost 2 games in a row to end the season. Towson had 4 losses.

You can pick the bones you want to pick, but ultimately, if you had 4 losses, 7 DI wins with little quality, or 10 wins over no one, there's really not a good argument there. Towson is DEFINITELY a better team than UNH but they played themselves out of the playoffs with their schedule. It's not difficult to understand.

unhfan1
November 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I watched the NAU/ Cal Poly game last night. They are both 500 at best in the CAA.

malibudude
November 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Yep, good luck in Vegas with that outlook.

Sent from my 1997 AS400 using Tapatalk 5

Twentysix
November 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I watched the NAU/ Cal Poly game last night. They are both 500 at best in the CAA.

Agreed, also those CAA teams would top out around 7th place in the Valley. ;)

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
The point is UNH beat 1 team with a winning record all year and that was Richmond. They lost by 29 at home yesterday to Towson. They are then rewarded with a second round game.

Towson still has 7 FCS wins including wins on the road 3 out of the last 4 weeks against ranked teams (at the time w/ Delaware).

The App State AD comes on and talks about rewarding teams that beat good teams. How does UNH fall into this category and then be considered to not be one of the last two teams in.

The App St AD interview was a joke. First question, was it a hard decision to seed NDSU #1, NO. Then he goes on to talk about strength of schedule with Stony Brook in over Towson, Richmond or even Lehigh. And at was the end of the interview.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Northern Arizona didn't beat a single team with a winnin record.

JMUNJ08
November 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Agreed, also those CAA teams would top out around 7th place in the Valley. ;)

thanks for the ;) or else I would be writing alot more!

JMUNJ08
November 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Northern Arizona didn't beat a single team with a winnin record.

Those 'Jacks' uneven schedule did them in. Ended up being a complete joke. They only played a few decent teams and ended up taking loses. UNH ended up not being much better but we have ALWAYS seen the committee try to take teams with more D1 wins than others. Though, Richmond had the bigger beef IMO :)

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Those 'Jacks' uneven schedule did them in. Ended up being a complete joke. They only played a few decent teams and ended up taking loses. UNH ended up not being much better but we have ALWAYS seen the committee try to take teams with more D1 wins than others. Though, Richmond had the bigger beef IMO :)

Yeah......especially since they lost to UNH.xrolleyesx

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Don't schedule two FBS schools in the same season, blame your AD.

And don't get bombed by 128 points in TWO games and expect anyone to think your sorry defense belongs in the playoffs.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
And don't get bombed by 128 points in TWO games and expect anyone to think your sorry defense belongs in the playoffs.

Ill say again, why is ODU in the playoffs, then? 61 points at home? Don't they suck, too?

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Wait, so who did Lehigh beat? NAU had 7 DI wins and lost 2 games in a row to end the season. Towson had 4 losses.

You can pick the bones you want to pick, but ultimately, if you had 4 losses, 7 DI wins with little quality, or 10 wins over no one, there's really not a good argument there. Towson is DEFINITELY a better team than UNH but they played themselves out of the playoffs with their schedule. It's not difficult to understand.

Towson had TWO FBS losses, just like New Hampshire did. The rules changed this season. That is a cope out by you and the committee.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Ill say again, why is ODU in the playoffs, then? 61 points at home? Don't they suck, too?

The Monarchs WON that game and it was only ONE game. New Hampshire has no business being in ahead of Towson. None and you know it.

WrenFGun

Just let me know where points allowed is in the playoff criteria, too.

WrenFGun
The Monarchs WON that game and it was only ONE game. New Hampshire has no business being in ahead of Towson. None and you know it.

You've been pumping Towson up all season. They're a great team. They've scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. Fact.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Stony Brook would beat the crap out of New Hampshire the same way Towson did. Your team is horrid on defense, ranked 91st in scoring, 113th in passing, 68th in rushing and 104th overall. A lot of teams give up 35 points in a game (Towson won two games with that total in the past three weeks). I can't ever remember a team with as bad defense as New Hampshire getting a playoff bid.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:52 PM

What's next......what about crappy offense?....or special teams?......or bad facilities?.....or attendance?.......or GPA?xsmiley_wix

Gimme a break.........UNH is in........get over it!

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
You've been pumping Towson up all season. They're a great team. They've scheduled themselves out of the playoffs. Fact.

Word.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM

The fact is that New Hampshire getting in ahead of Towson and several other teams is a travesty. If Towson scheduled themselves out of the playoffs, why weren't you saying the same thing about UNH when it made trips at 7-4 in the past?

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Towson had TWO FBS losses, just like New Hampshire did. The rules changed this season. That is a cope out by you and the committee.

UNH didn't have 2 FBS losses. They had one FBS loss and 2 FCS losses for a total of 3. Towson had 2 and 2 for a total of 4.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
The fact is that New Hampshire getting in ahead of Towson and several other teams is a travesty. If Towson scheduled themselves out of the playoffs, why weren't you saying the same thing about UNH when it made trips at 7-4 in the past?

So now it's also "several other teams"???........YOU are the JOKE! Take your ax and grind it somewhere else.xpeacex

DJnva
Clearly UNH wasn't the "last team in". Why not a comparison of Towson to Stony Brook?

WrenFGun

God, do you go to Towson?

UNH made it at 7-4 a few years ago because there were no other 8 DI teams with playoff resumes. You can bicker all you want about UNH, but 8 DI wins, a share of the CAA championship and a win over Richmond is a playoff resume, albeit a week one at the 8 DI level.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Clearly UNH wasn't the "last team in". Why not a comparison of Towson to Stony Brook?

Exactly.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM

UNH made it at 7-4 a few years ago because there were no other 8 DI teams with playoff resumes. You can bicker all you want about UNH, but 8 DI wins, a share of the CAA championship and a win over Richmond is a playoff resume, albeit a week one at the 8 DI level.

But but but.......Towson beat a crappy UNH team!

xcoffeex

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 05:59 PM

...and again, why don't you have a beef with SDSU and Stony Brook, the ACTUAL last two teams in. UNH was no worse than the THIRD to last team in.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Word.

Really nice argument, Jeff. If you've got something to add, bring some non-simplistic to the mix.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
...and again, why don't you have a beef with SDSU and Stony Brook, the ACTUAL last two teams in. UNH was no worse than the THIRD to last team in.

I thought Stony Brook and South Dakota State deserved to be two of the top 12 teams. Again, be glad you don't have to play Stony Brook. That's a team that has been in the top-10 most of the season. UNH wouldn't beat SDSU either.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Are you that stupid? No, I didn't go to Towson. I went to Fresno State. But I'll defend a team that got jobbed. Why can't you admit your team doesn't belong when a lot of UNH fans are humble enough to admit it?

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Because New Hampshire is the team with the biggest holes in its resume. Stony Brook is a much better team than UNH.

VUCats02
November 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Why did UNH get a bye over Nova? That is the real question at hand here. Nova had a tougher schedule, won the autobid, and was the only team that beat Old Dominion this year. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I will say that I'm glad Nova is not playing Wofford...Their offense would give our defense fits.

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
this is horse crap.
One question the committee should ask is "what at large teams are cabable of winning the whole thing". I don't think anyone would question that TU is on a roll and could beat anyone.
I'm not sure "backing in" is the right term for UNH. They friggin got obliterated..

Backing in is not the right term if you win 6 of your last 7 games.

dazedandconfused
November 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Because Towson beat the snot out of your overrated team on your field just yesterday. How can that be overlooked? I am not sure who is on that selection committee but UNH being selected stinks of something else being in play here. Talk all you want of Towson having 4 losses, etc. You know it's wrong and everyone with half a clue knows it is wrong. Once again 64-35 on your field and that gets you a trip to the second round? Something just isn't right with that.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
But but but.......Towson beat a crappy UNH team!

xcoffeex

Towson also beat a very good Villanova team and hung more points on LSU's defense than anyone has scored since Oregon in the first game of the 2011 season. And Towson won four straight games at the end of the year while playing elimination games each week.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I thought Stony Brook and South Dakota State deserved to be two of the top 12 teams. Again, be glad you don't have to play Stony Brook. That's a team that has been in the top-10 most of the season. UNH wouldn't beat SDSU either.

Based on? UNH has lost to Towson (clearly one of the best teams in FCS), ODU and FBS Minnesota. SDSU is not as good as any of those teams, and I feel confident they'd beat both. So you just let me know how you know for a fact that's the case. I'm glad your opinion carries more weight than the committee members who scrutinized things far closer than you did, as well.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
So now it's also "several other teams"???........YOU are the JOKE! Take your ax and grind it somewhere else.xpeacex

Jeff, you offer no good arguments as usual.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Because New Hampshire is the team with the biggest holes in its resume. Stony Brook is a much better team than UNH.

Which team lost to Liberty? Just let me know. Oh, and which team played in the Big South? Is it the same one? Gosh, it is.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Why did UNH get a bye over Nova? That is the real question at hand here. Nova had a tougher schedule, won the autobid, and was the only team that beat Old Dominion this year. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I will say that I'm glad Nova is not playing Wofford...Their offense would give our defense fits.

Agree completely. 'Nova has a better Resume and should have gotten a bye.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Are you that stupid? No, I didn't go to Towson. I went to Fresno State. But I'll defend a team that got jobbed. Why can't you admit your team doesn't belong when a lot of UNH fans are humble enough to admit it?

Look at my posts. I've said EVERYWHERE 'Nova should be getting a bye, not UNH. I'm just asking you, if 4 loss FCS teams were out, who should have gotten in over UNH? Let me know. Is it Richmond, who UNH beat? Is it Lehigh, who beat no one and lost to a team that lost to the bottom of the MVFC? Is it an OVC Team? Just let me know.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM
The key about New Hampshire is their biggest claim to fame was a win over Richmond, who didn't make the playoffs. Five of their six conference wins were against the bottom five of the CAA. Towson was 7-2 against FCS competition and held a dominating 29 point road win over UNH and had a two touchdown win @Villanova.

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM
If Towson wants to pimp out their team for an FBS payday their AD is to blame for not making the playoffs, not the selection committee.
What idiot schedules 2 games with an FBS opponent ? The $$$$ signs are obviously more importatant to Towson AD Waddell than what is best for it's football program. The coaches and kids suffer while the school makes money, for what ? Aren't they cutting mens baseball and soccer ?

Does Towson belong in the playoffs, absolutely. The committee had an easy out with the 4 losses, they didn't want 4 CAA teams anyway. UNH owes the Towson administration a big Thank You !.

+1

LehighU11
November 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Backing in is not the right term if you win 6 of your last 7 games.

I originally used the term "backing in" and it does fit UNH well. They had a chance to win the autobid outright, but instead lost by 29 at home to Towson, giving up 64 points (yikes). They also almost lost to 2-9 W&M at home the week before. If that isn't backing in, I don't know what is.

I think UNH is a good team and I've been high on them all year, but they'll have to step it up 2 weeks from now if they want to keep the season going.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Based on? UNH has lost to Towson (clearly one of the best teams in FCS), ODU and FBS Minnesota. SDSU is not as good as any of those teams, and I feel confident they'd beat both. So you just let me know how you know for a fact that's the case. I'm glad your opinion carries more weight than the committee members who scrutinized things far closer than you did, as well.

I watch more games than anyone in my business. I've been evaluating college football teams for 35 years and FCS teams for 20. I respect Sean McDonnell as much as any coach in FCS and think he is one of the top half-dozen coaches, or so at this level. But his team isn't that good this year and got into the tournament with an easy schedule. This is what happens when conferences don't play balanced schedules.

South Dakota State lost by three to North Dakota State about eight days ago. Do you think the Wildcats could do that? I kind of doubt it. SDSU is a solid, balanced team, with a running game that would give UNH fits, just like Towson's did and Stony Brook's would.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I watch more games than anyone in my business. I've been evaluating college football teams for 35 years and FCS teams for 20. I respect Sean McDonnell as much as any coach in FCS and think he is one of the top half-dozen coaches, or so at this level. But his team isn't that good this year and got into the tournament with an easy schedule. This is what happens when conferences don't play balanced schedules.

South Dakota State lost by three to North Dakota State about eight days ago. Do you think the Wildcats could do that? I kind of doubt it. SDSU is a solid, balanced team, with a running game that would give UNH fits, just like Towson's did and Stony Brook's would.

Well, UNH lost by 3 to ODU, so yeah, I do think they could lose by 3 to a good team.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM
The key about New Hampshire is their biggest claim to fame was a win over Richmond, who didn't make the playoffs. Five of their six conference wins were against the bottom five of the CAA. Towson was 7-2 against FCS competition and held a dominating 29 point road win over UNH and had a two touchdown win @Villanova.

Again, if 4 loss teams were out, who should have gotten in over UNH?

dazedandconfused
November 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Look at my posts. I've said EVERYWHERE 'Nova should be getting a bye, not UNH. I'm just asking you, if 4 loss FCS teams were out, who should have gotten in over UNH? Let me know. Is it Richmond, who UNH beat? Is it Lehigh, who beat no one and lost to a team that lost to the bottom of the MVFC? Is it an OVC Team? Just let me know.

Where was it written that 4 loss teams were out? I thought the goal was to get the best 10 at large teams. The only rule is that you need 7 D1 wins. You scratch my back Charlie Cobb and I'll scratch yours Marty Scarano.

robsnotes4u
November 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
We all wish it was clear cut so we could understand it, unfortunately it isnt. There will always be controversy when you put humans in a room negotiating the outcome, especially behind close doors. They should have the meeting live and the reasons should be stated why someone is seeded, made the brackets or not. With this everyone can learn what needs to be done to better their situation next year.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Where was it written that 4 loss teams were out? I thought the goal was to get the best 10 at large teams. The only rule is that you need 7 D1 wins. You scratch my back Charlie Cobb and I'll scratch yours Marty Scarano.

There is no rule you need 7 DI wins. It's CLEAR the committee was not willing to take teams with 4 losses since there is no argument that UNH deserves to be in over Towson. So that's where the basis comes from. Towson did not get in because the committee was unwilling to take 4 loss teams when there were 3 loss teams available with playoff-quality resumes.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM

My idea of the selections and brackets were released here:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/604-why-not-expand-to-24-playoff-teams-this-year

Towson was 7-2 in FCS, not 7-4. The committee has ALWAYS thrown out those games in the past. I think Lehigh and UNH are comparable in terms of talent. They played to overtime last year (in a game where a blown officiating call decided it) and both lost their QBs this year. I'd go with 10 wins over UNH's eight (with only one against a winning team) any day.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM
My idea of the selections and brackets were released here:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/604-why-not-expand-to-24-playoff-teams-this-year

Towson was 7-2 in FCS, not 7-4. The committee has ALWAYS thrown out those games in the past. I think Lehigh and UNH are comparable in terms of talent. They played to overtime last year (in a game where a blown officiating call decided it) and both lost their QBs this year. I'd go with 10 wins over UNH's eight (with only one against a winning team) any day.

Lehigh lost to Colgate at home. You think they'd go 8-3 against UNH's schedule? You like Lehigh over W&M, Maine, Richmond and Delaware? And again, just to be clear, Towson is a BETTER team than UNH. They were not let in because they had 7 DI wins and 4 losses ... no at-larges had that resume and unfortunately for Towson, the teams in competition were BETTER in 2012 than they were previously when UNH got in at 7-4.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM

It isn't in the rules and hasn't been in for years, since they removed the sentence about four losses putting a team in jeopardy for missing the playoffs. Charlie Cobb and company just took a politically correct path to a playoff field. They didn't give us the best 10 at-large teams.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Lehigh lost to Colgate at home. You think they'd go 8-3 against UNH's schedule? You like Lehigh over W&M, Maine, Richmond and Delaware? And again, just to be clear, Towson is a BETTER team than UNH. They were not let in because they had 7 DI wins and 4 losses ... no at-larges had that resume and unfortunately for Towson, the teams in competition were BETTER in 2012 than they were previously when UNH got in at 7-4.

I think Lehigh is a comparable team to UNH and would have had a comparable record. I make a lot of the fact that the two played last year and didn't this year. Lehigh beat Towson last year a few weeks after Towson torched UNH. The better question might be would UNH go 10-1 against Lehigh's record? I don't see UNH winning a road game at Liberty and I'm not sure that UNH beats Colgate right now either. Colgate lost by one point to a Stony Brook squad that UNH would have extreme matchup problems with.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM
It isn't in the rules and hasn't been in for years, since they removed the sentence about four losses putting a team in jeopardy for missing the playoffs. Charlie Cobb and company just took a politically correct path to a playoff field. They didn't give us the best 10 at-large teams.

Would you agree that they made a decision to exclude 4 loss teams? I'm not arguing that UNH is better than Towson, but I just think the issue is that they were excluded (rightly or wrongly) from the get go due to an arbitrary decision. ONCE that decision was made, UNH was the next best alternative. I still maintain that Towson and UNH should have been in over SBU based solely on resume.

SBU has a better quality of wins (Army, Colgate and Coastal v. Richmond) but also played a TON of games against REALLY bad teams (VMI, Presby, Gardner Webb, etc.).

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Which team lost to Liberty? Just let me know. Oh, and which team played in the Big South? Is it the same one? Gosh, it is.

And how many Big South games have you attended this year? How many have you watched? Liberty would beat UNH in Lynchburg. You have no idea that Liberty is better than you think and that the Flames had some injuries early that impacted their play. I was in the press box for the opening Saturday of the season when Liberty came within about two plays of beating Wake Forest.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Would you agree that they made a decision to exclude 4 loss teams? I'm not arguing that UNH is better than Towson, but I just think the issue is that they were excluded (rightly or wrongly) from the get go due to an arbitrary decision. ONCE that decision was made, UNH was the next best alternative. I still maintain that Towson and UNH should have been in over SBU based solely on resume.

SBU has a better quality of wins (Army, Colgate and Coastal v. Richmond) but also played a TON of games against REALLY bad teams (VMI, Presby, Gardner Webb, etc.).

If they did, it goes against the precedent that other committees had established and was a cop out. And again, I don't think UNH was the best alternative.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
My gut feeling is Towson should be in over New Hampshire and if UNH is going to be in the playoffs instead of Towson, at the very least they should be playing in the first round and Villanova should have gotten the bye. However, let's look at this objectively.

Here's a list of the CAA playoff teams'/playoff contenders' key games (games against the other good teams in the CAA, quality non-conference wins, and all losses):

Old Dominion (4-1 in key games)
vs. New Hampshire - won by 3 points
at Richmond - won by 8 points
vs Villanova - lost by 24 points
at Towson - won by 11 points
at James Madison - won by 10 points
*did not play Maine, did beat Delaware (home, 5 points)

Villanova (3-3 in key games)
at Temple - lost by 31 points (poor I-A team)
at Penn - won by 16 points (Ivy League champ)
vs Richmond - lost by 11 points
at Old Dominion - won by 24 points
vs Towson - lost by 14 points
vs James Madison - won by 15 points
*did beat Maine (road, 21 points) and Delaware (road, 31 points)

New Hampshire (1-3 in key games)
at Minnesota - lost by 37 points (so-so I-A team)
at Old Dominion - lost by 3 points
vs Richmond - won by 4 points
vs Towson - lost by 29 points
*did beat Maine (road, 7 points) and Delaware (home, 20 points)

Richmond (2-3 in key games)
at Virginia - lost by 24 points (poor I-A team)
vs Old Dominion - lost by 8 points
at Villanova - won by 11 points
at New Hampshire - lost by 4 points
vs James Madison - won by 6 points
*did not play Maine, beat Delaware (home, 6 points)

Towson (2-4 in key games)
at Kent State - lost by 20 points (very good I-A team)
at Louisiana State - lost by 16 points (excellent I-A team)
at James Madison - lost by 3 points
vs Old Dominion - lost by 11 points
at Villanova - won by 14 points
at New Hampshire - won by 29 points
*beat Maine (home, 5 points) and Delaware (road, 7 points in OT)

James Madison (1-4 in key games)
N West Virginia - lost by 30 points (so-so I-A team)
vs Towson - won by 3 points
at Richmond - lost by 6 points
at Villanova - lost by 15 points
vs Old Dominion - lost by 10 points
*did beat Maine (road, 24 points), did not play Delaware

Looking at the above statistics, I would say the following things:

1) Old Dominion was clearly the class of the CAA. They are also the only CAA contender to play 5 games against other CAA playoff contenders (all the other teams played either 3 or 4 such games); ODU went 4-1 in those games.

2) Villanova, even if they did not win the CAA automatic berth, probably has the second-strongest profile of any CAA team. They posted was is by far IMO the best win of any CAA contender excluding Old Dominion, beating ODU on the road by 24 points. They posted arguably the best non-conference win of any of the above teams, beating the eventual Ivy League champ on the road by 16 points (with the caveat that the Ivy League, at least at the top of the league, was down this season). They also played and solidly beat both Maine and Delaware (both on the road to boot), something the other CAA contenders cannot claim. Their biggest negatives are the home losses to Richmond and Towson, but I think the rest of their profile offsets that relative to Richmond and Towson and their respective profiles.

3) New Hampshire benefited from playing a weaker CAA schedule than the other CAA contenders, playing only three of the other contenders while each of the other teams played four contenders. They also benefited from playing 2 of the 3 contenders at home. UNH only won 1 of 4 key games, and that win was only by 4 points at home (against Richmond). IMO, they have a weaker profile than any other team listed except James Madison and a weaker profile than the other CAA teams that finished 6-2 in league play.

4) The comparison between Richmond and Towson is very close. Richmond played 5 "key" games, going 2-3, while Towson played 6 "key" games, going 2-4. They had very similar results against Old Dominion (both lost on the road by about 10 points) and Villanova (both won on the road by about 13 points). However, other factors with each team's schedule show Towson's schedule was distinctly more difficult. Richmond played one so-so, not close to being ranked I-A team and lost by 24 points. Towson played two ranked I-A teams, one of which is a top 10 team, and lost by 20 points and 16 points. Additionally, Towson played 3 of their 4 key CAA games on the road, while Richmond played 2 of their key games at home and 2 on the road. Those other two key CAA games (besides ODU and Villanova) for both teams were against New Hampshire and James Madison. Richmond played UNH on the road and JMU at home, while Towson played both teams on the road. Both teams split those two games, with Richmond beating JMU by 6 points and losing to UNH by 4 points, while Towson lost to JMU by 3 points and beat UNH by 29 points. Finally, Richmond did not play Maine and beat Delaware by a small margin (at home), while Towson played and beat both Maine (at home) and Delaware (on the road in OT) by small margins.

Breaking everything down, it becomes clearer to me that there is (or at least should have been) a clear pecking order in the CAA. That order is:

1) Old Dominion
2) Villanova
3) Towson
4) Richmond
5) New Hampshire
6) James Madison

Quite frankly, relative to the actual playoff field, IMO 1) Villanova should have been the second CAA team along with ODU to get a first-round bye, 2) Towson deserved to be in the playoffs, 3) Richmond deserved to be in the playoffs more than New Hampshire (but should have not been selected for the playoffs if only 3 CAA teams were going to be selected), and 4) New Hampshire probably doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs; both Towson and Richmond have distinctly better profiles.

I'll note that I didn't know exactly what the breakdown would show until I actually did it. I thought Towson was a more deserving selection than New Hampshire at initial glance (and Villanova should have received a bye instead of UNH), and based on my breakdown I think that initial assessment is probably correct.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
If they did, it goes against the precedent that other committees had established and was a cop out. And again, I don't think UNH was the best alternative.

It sounds like you think Lehigh would be a better choice. I disagree, but I think people are probably sick of reading us go back and forth. By all means, feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat further. I appreciate your work covering FCS, and clearly disagree in your evaluation of UNH, who has lost just two games this year by more than 3 points (they also trailed 30-28 to Towson at the half), but it is what it is. We'll see how the committee looks after the Wofford game.

UNHFootballAlum
November 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I originally used the term "backing in" and it does fit UNH well. They had a chance to win the autobid outright, but instead lost by 29 at home to Towson, giving up 64 points (yikes). They also almost lost to 2-9 W&M at home the week before. If that isn't backing in, I don't know what is.

I think UNH is a good team and I've been high on them all year, but they'll have to step it up 2 weeks from now if they want to keep the season going.

UNH stunk up the joint in their last game, no doubt, but if you look at all of W& M games they were close contests so that logic does not fly.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
For whatever it is worth, my gut feeling objectively-speaking is that Stony Brook was a more deserving choice than Lehigh.

DJnva
November 18th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Where was it written that 4 loss teams were out? .

The bracket?

Fear the Bird
November 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
UNH stunk up the joint in their last game, no doubt, but if you look at all of W& M games they were close contests so that logic does not fly.

5-6 Delaware beat the crap out of W&M

dwtime
November 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Keep complaining, maybe if you do it enough they'll change their minds.........xbawlingx

dwtime
November 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM

+1

LehighU11
November 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM

If you lose 9 of 11 games, you are not a good football team. Period. W&M also lost at home to Lafayette, who Lehigh handled with ease other than the 1st quarter yesterday. UNH is backing in, but I think Wofford is not unbeatable.

UNH Fanboi
November 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Yes, Marty Scarano used the vast resources of the UNH athletic department to bribe them into the playoffs xrolleyesx. Maybe he stole money from their stadium fund!

Mattymc727
November 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Towson should have been in over UNH. Mistake by the committee.

However, just beacuse UNH has a terrible defense doesnt mean they shouldnt be a playoff team. Look at the Green Bay Packers? Look at the NE Patriots? They had record setting piss poor defenses in the NFL and are still considered Elite teams.

We will find out how good UNH is on Dec. 1st. Is it conceivable that they just had a bad day yesterday? It happens... I was there yesterday and that was not the UNH team I normally watch.

dwtime
November 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM

I'll agree with you on that one VUCat, I will never agree with anyone that UNH shouldn't be in the playoffs.

NHwildEcat
November 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Well, we may find out in a couple weeks if both UNH and NDSU win when UNH could head out there.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM

A win over a non-playoff team is a playoff resume?

NHwildEcat
November 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Not that I believe it would happen, but this thread would become null and void if UNH wins 4 straight in December/January. Everyone talks about their weak schedule, which is not there fault as far as the CAA games go. They barely lost to a seeded team, and the very best team at that in ODU by 3. Then yeah, they were smoked yesturday at home in an utter embarrasing loss to Towson. But they played those other teams on their schedule and beat them, and at the end of the day you just need to win the games placed in front of you. Next season UNH will have a very hard CAA slate so it will balance out as far as the CAA schools involved are concerned. If Richmond had beaten us, they would be in right now. And if Towson had played more FCS competition they would be in right now. At some point the committee has to draw a line, and they did. And UNH was well past it considering they have a bye next weekend.

If UNH gets lit up at Wofford on Dec. 1 then the detractors on here will be proven right. If UNH wins that and goes to NDSU and plays a tight game, then you will be proven wrong in your assessment that due to UNH being included, Towson/UR were left out. Go to long island and blam SBU.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM
A win over a non-playoff team is a playoff resume?

Non-playoff team or a bubble team, and up until this year we were talking about how power conference co champs always get in other than once before.

Winning over a non-playoff or bubble team is better than losing to two teams that are not even considered or eligible for the playoffs isn't it?

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Not that I believe it would happen, but this thread would become null and void if UNH wins 4 straight in December/January. Everyone talks about their weak schedule, which is not there fault as far as the CAA games go. They barely lost to a seeded team, and the very best team at that in ODU by 3. Then yeah, they were smoked yesturday at home in an utter embarrasing loss to Towson. But they played those other teams on their schedule and beat them, and at the end of the day you just need to win the games placed in front of you. Next season UNH will have a very hard CAA slate so it will balance out as far as the CAA schools involved are concerned. If Richmond had beaten us, they would be in right now. And if Towson had played more FCS competition they would be in right now. At some point the committee has to draw a line, and they did. And UNH was well past it considering they have a bye next weekend.

If UNH gets lit up at Wofford on Dec. 1 then the detractors on here will be proven right. If UNH wins that and goes to NDSU and plays a tight game, then you will be proven wrong in your assessment that due to UNH being included, Towson/UR were left out. Go to long island and blam SBU.

This is the same argument that Lehigh uses (it's a bad one). IMO, it's simple: of teams that had 8 DI wins or 3 or less losses, UNH was the most qualified to go of the teams that made it because they had the H2H over the second most qualified team (Richmond). I think a lot of the concerns over UNH are very fair, though ... gave up 60 points twice, got absolutely routed by a mediocre FBS team, didn't play a particularly challenging schedule. I just think push comes to shove, the facts of the matter (8 DI wins, CAA Co-champ, win over another team fighting to get in) posed the BEST option after Towson, who clearly was dismissed by the committee for 7 DI wins/4 losses.

CHIP72
November 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM

One game does not make a season. Both Towson and Richmond lost by only somewhat larger margins to ODU than UNH did (Towson by 11 points, Richmond by 8 points). More importantly, the best win Towson and Richmond each had (in both cases beating Villanova on the road by double digits, unless you want to say Towson's 29 point road win road over UNH is even better yet) is a distinctly better win than the best win UNH had (by 4 points at home against Richmond). Both Towson and Richmond (and for that matter Villanova) played tougher in-conference schedules than UNH did, with Towson in particular getting the short end of the stick by playing 3 of the 4 CAA playoff contenders on the road while UNH played 2 of the 3 CAA playoff contenders at home. (Richmond also played 4 playoff contenders vs. UNH's 3 games against playoff contenders.) UNH didn't post a road win over a single playoff contender, while Towson had two such wins (Villanova, UNH) and Richmond had one of those wins (Villanova) (and additionally Villanova had a better road win than any other team in the conference, beating ODU by 24 points).

I have nothing against UNH, and I didn't have an opinion on UNH's playoff qualifications until I looked at their schedule and the schedules of the other CAA playoff contenders objectively. However, once things are broken down objectively (see my breakdown on page 11 of this thread), in appears UNH's profile isn't as strong as Towson's or Richmond's (or Villanova's). Heck, one could make an argument that James Madison's profile is stronger than UNH's. UNH had a good season and was a legitimate playoff contender, but I think Towson and to a lesser degree Richmond would have been better choices by the selection committee to be playoff participants.

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM
The Sagarin ELO-CHESS rating was going to be used as a tiebreaker to determine the CAA auto-bid in a number of scenarios. A check of the final numbers shows:

Towson
Villanova
Richmond
New Hampshire

UNHFootballAlum
November 19th, 2012, 01:13 AM
5-6 Delaware beat the crap out of W&M

Ok, so 1 of their games was not close

UNHFootballAlum
November 19th, 2012, 01:16 AM
If you lose 9 of 11 games, you are not a good football team. Period. W&M also lost at home to Lafayette, who Lehigh handled with ease other than the 1st quarter yesterday. UNH is backing in, but I think Wofford is not unbeatable.

I'll say it again winning 6 of last 7 games is not backing in

NHwildEcat
November 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM
One game does not make a season. Both Towson and Richmond lost by only somewhat larger margins to ODU than UNH did (Towson by 11 points, Richmond by 8 points). More importantly, the best win Towson and Richmond each had (in both cases beating Villanova on the road by double digits, unless you want to say Towson's 29 point road win road over UNH is even better yet) is a distinctly better win than the best win UNH had (by 4 points at home against Richmond). Both Towson and Richmond (and for that matter Villanova) played tougher in-conference schedules than UNH did, with Towson in particular getting the short end of the stick by playing 3 of the 4 CAA playoff contenders on the road while UNH played 2 of the 3 CAA playoff contenders at home. (Richmond also played 4 playoff contenders vs. UNH's 3 games against playoff contenders.) UNH didn't post a road win over a single playoff contender, while Towson had two such wins (Villanova, UNH) and Richmond had one of those wins (Villanova) (and additionally Villanova had a better road win than any other team in the conference, beating ODU by 24 points).

I have nothing against UNH, and I didn't have an opinion on UNH's playoff qualifications until I looked at their schedule and the schedules of the other CAA playoff contenders objectively. However, once things are broken down objectively (see my breakdown on page 11 of this thread), in appears UNH's profile isn't as strong as Towson's or Richmond's (or Villanova's). Heck, one could make an argument that James Madison's profile is stronger than UNH's. UNH had a good season and was a legitimate playoff contender, but I think Towson and to a lesser degree Richmond would have been better choices by the selection committee to be playoff participants.

I do agree on the Towson aspect as they would have been a better selection as they killed UNH just a couple days ago. But the committee didn't see them as a real possibilty or else they would have been in. Towson screwed themselves with the 2 FBS games at the end of the day.

Boots
November 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Someone mentioned politics & behind doors process. App State dearly benefitted from having their AD, Charlie Cobb, as the chair of selection committee. What other schools in the playoffs have a representative on this committee? BTW, not saying App State shouldn't be in playoffs...saying their opening game & road appears to be much more manageable than Wofford (who beat App) & GSU (who lost to App, but was ranked higher, was seeded & won conf auto-bid). I guess it's one of the perks of being the selection chair.

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I think it helped Wofford more than ASU. The Mountaineers pretty much got what they expected. I'm not sure a Wofford team with 7 DI wins deserved a home game not to mention a favorable matchup against UNH.

The UNH/Wofford game looked to me like they had the bracket pretty much set before the games were even played this weekend.

MacThor
November 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I think it helped Wofford more than ASU. The Mountaineers pretty much got what they expected. I'm not sure a Wofford team with 7 DI wins deserved a home game not to mention a favorable matchup against UNH.

The UNH/Wofford game looked to me like they had the bracket pretty much set before the games were even played this weekend.

When I saw that Wofford-UNH matchup announced right off the bat, I knew UR was screwed.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2012, 12:34 PM

I completely agree. It certainly felt like that decision had been made well ahead of time.

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I thought the same thing, but within the CAA New Hampshire finished above Towson and had a better overall record.

andy7171
November 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I thought the same thing, but within the CAA New Hampshire finished above Towson and had a better overall record.

Towson beat the two other teams they were tied with. Why no head to head? And what happened to the Saggarin ratings playing into it?

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Towson beat the two other teams they were tied with. Why no head to head? And what happened to the Saggarin ratings playing into it?

Place Team W-L
1 Old Dominion 10-1
2 Richmond 8-3
2 Villanova 8-3
2 New Hampshire 8-3
5 Towson 7-4
5 James Madison 7-4
7 Delaware 5-6
7 Maine 5-6
9 William & Mary 2-9
10 Georgia State 1-10
11 Rhode Island 0-11

CHIP72
November 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Place Team W-L
1 Old Dominion 10-1
2 Richmond 8-3
2 Villanova 8-3
2 New Hampshire 8-3
5 Towson 7-4
5 James Madison 7-4
7 Delaware 5-6
7 Maine 5-6
9 William & Mary 2-9
10 Georgia State 1-10
11 Rhode Island 0-11

In CAA games only, Towson and New Hampshire (and Villanova and Richmond) all finished 6-2. The four teams did not all play one another (VU and UNH didn't play and neither did TU and UR) so the next tiebreaker was the result against ODU, which all 4 teams did play. Villanova beat ODU while the other three teams lost to ODU.