PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Final.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I was 5-1 last night, Samford let me down against Kentucky. I have a feeling Tennessee will let me down against Kentucky this week as well (hey, Tennessee will get a new head coach soon). The final power rankings are as follows:

1) Georgia Southern (AUTOBID) - After further review, GSU takes the autobid courtesy of The Citadel.
2) Appalachian State (IN) - Week off to prep for the second season
3) Wofford (IN) - had nothing to be ashamed of against USC.
4) The Citadel (IN) - did what they had to do against Furman, can they get in?
5) Samford - could not get it done against one of the worst teams in the SEC
6) Chattanooga - win vs. Elon gives them a winning season for the third time in four years
7) Furman - they are the Tennessee of the SoCon
8) Elon - far cry from the team that made the playoffs
9) Western Carolina - hold your heads and hold them high.

CID1990
November 18th, 2012, 07:49 AM
You really think El Cid has a shot? I don't. That debacle against Samford cost us the postseason.

GATA
November 18th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I was 5-1 last night, Samford let me down against Kentucky. I have a feeling Tennessee will let me down against Kentucky this week as well (hey, Tennessee will get a new head coach soon). The final power rankings are as follows:

1) Georgia Southern (AUTOBID) - After further review, GSU takes the autobid courtesy of The Citadel.
2) Appalachian State (IN) - Week off to prep for the second season
3) Wofford (IN) - had nothing to be ashamed of against USC.
4) The Citadel (IN) - did what they had to do against Furman, can they get in?
5) Samford - could not get it done against one of the worst teams in the SEC
6) Chattanooga - win vs. Elon gives them a winning season for the third time in four years
7) Furman - they are the Tennessee of the SoCon
8) Elon - far cry from the team that made the playoffs
9) Western Carolina - hold your heads and hold them high.

Kentucky is undoutedly THE worst team in the SEC...it's not even close. They're also one of the worst teams in tge country.

atlfcsfan
November 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM
1A. Ga Southern - Automatic bid, hung with Bulldogs for a half.
1B. App State - Got a much needed week off, hopefully will come out crisper in playoffs
1C. Wofford - struggled for past couple of games, played much better against Gamecocks
4. Chattanooga - 2 heartbreaking losses to conference's elite.
5. Samford - lost a heartbreaker of their own to the conference elite.
6. Citadel - beat a couple of the Big 3, but bad losses to 4&5 will keep them out of playoffs
7. Furman - tough season, hopefully better days ahead
8. Elon - program once on the rise, now has fallen off a bit
9 W Carolina - guess it will get better one day

OL FU
November 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I realize this isn't the place for wondering but............................some serious Furman questions.

I wasn't surprised by our defensive struggles even thought we have a defensive coach at the helm. We have some strong personel but not accross the board. Recruting hopefully will correct that. I also wasn't surprised at our offensive struggles. Same comment generally as the defense.

But here is what surprises me. 1) All American tight end that wasn't used all season. I am not sure how you don't do whatever you can to get him in the game.
2) Second half issues. We were in everygame after the first half and in most cases the third quarter but we were outscored I believe in every game int he second half with the exception of CCU. That either tells me, conditioning or coaching adjustments or lack of depth. I am hoping for the latter but not sure at this point.

Good luck to ASU, GSU and WC in the playoffs.

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM
1) GSU - the autobid is irrelevant, but thet have the best overall team. Not worthy of a seed, but will have two home homes in playoffs.
2) ASU - Team is peaking at the right time, but defense remains suspect.
3) Wofford - defense has stepped up, unfortunately, injuries have hobbled the offense
4) The Citadel - bad midseason stretch keeps them out of the playoffs (in a more normal FCS year they would have a reasonable shot)
5) Chatty - I dropped them a spot because I thought Cit's win was more impressive this week (rivalry game)
6) Samford - 4-6 are very close
7) Elon - the ordeal is over for this year
8) Furman - time to go home and regroup
9) WCU - the Red Sox eventually won

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I realize this isn't the place for wondering but............................some serious Furman questions.

I wasn't surprised by our defensive struggles even thought we have a defensive coach at the helm. We have some strong personel but not accross the board. Recruting hopefully will correct that. I also wasn't surprised at our offensive struggles. Same comment generally as the defense.

But here is what surprises me. 1) All American tight end that wasn't used all season. I am not sure how you don't do whatever you can to get him in the game.
2) Second half issues. We were in everygame after the first half and in most cases the third quarter but we were outscored I believe in every game int he second half with the exception of CCU. That either tells me, conditioning or coaching adjustments or lack of depth. I am hoping for the latter but not sure at this point.

I suspect the problem is leadership issues. Some teams come together and overcome fatigue to win the close games, other teams lose their edge at the end. Coaching can affect this, but there is the intangible idea of leadership, which cannot be coached or taught, but which materializes for some teams and doesn't for others.

As your QB matures, I suspect those problems will take care of themselves.

asumike83
November 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Kentucky is undoutedly THE worst team in the SEC...it's not even close. They're also one of the worst teams in tge country.

That Tennessee team is pretty God awful too, as is Auburn.

CID1990
November 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM

You non dancing purple andie mcdowell Jesus freaks need to know your place!

Oh I got a piece of that turf coming in the mail since you aren't going to have the real stuff anymore. I think you should have a purple field now with silver sparkly highlights.

Break out the paint cans and the horsetrailer and hide yer little baptist daughters!

catamount man
November 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
1) Georgia Southern, App State, and Wofford. (co-champs, all had same conf record, all went 1-1 vs the other. Good luck in the playoffs.)
4) The Citadel (can win the big games, cannot finish the deal on teams they should beat)
5) Chattanooga (so close...again; better era than though where they were)
6) Samford (I keep expecting them to tank year after year to cellar, year after year they prove me wrong. keep hitting the glass ceiling though.)
7) Furman (NOT the program under Sheridan, Satterfield or Johnson. Next year will show how big that administration is towards restoring FU pride.)
8) Elon (you beat us. Nothing more)
9) Western Carolina (what else can be said? 7th straight losing season, no conf wins for the 4th year of those past 7, no wins over a D-1 team since Citadel in 2010. Current administration cannot clean up over 20 years of ineptness and apathy overnight. It's obvious Wagner, and Briggs before him, could not recruit any top FCS talent. WCU's last winning season, 5-4 in 2005, was the last class of Bill Bleil, coach from 1997-2001. Briggs 1st recruiting class, 2002, were 5th yr SRs in 2006. Record 2-9. 2007, Briggs last year, 1-10. Wagner comes along with no ties to the SoCon, no ties to the south, etc, etc. 3-9, 2-9, 2-9, recruits JUCOs via the web and in 2011, goes 1-10. Fired. Speir has 30 days to recruit some semblance of D-1 talent to add to the D2 talent Wagner recruited. Sorry truth hurts. 2012 1-10 with much improved play. I can't quit on WCU, I will never quit on WCU. I keep telling myself that BY-GOD, someday this is going to be worth it. I hope someday is 2013. GO CATS!)

OL FU
November 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
You non dancing purple andie mcdowell Jesus freaks need to know your place!

Oh I got a piece of that turf coming in the mail since you aren't going to have the real stuff anymore. I think you should have a purple field now with silver sparkly highlights.

Break out the paint cans and the horsetrailer and hide yer little baptist daughters!

Must be a big drinking week for the Citadel. Congrats on your best record since ????? 1992. We have had 6 years of mediocrity, on the other hand, I hope we never celebrate 7-4 and staying home during the post season.

:p

Congrats again.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wofford may just be an NC contender. The pieces are falling into place. We are finally getting healthy on offense, we play excellent defense, and we run the triple option.

Look out for wofford.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Wofford may just be an NC contender. The pieces are falling into place. We are finally getting healthy on offense, we play excellent defense, and we run the triple option.

Look out for wofford.

I don't think any SoCon member has the pieces to contend for the title.

App's youth and health issues on the Oline, GSU's kicking game, and Wofford's secondary will prevent a title run. I just don't see any of the three defeating their likely 2ns game opponent.

md64179
November 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM
GSU
APP
Wofford
UTC
El Cid
Samford
Furman
Elon
WCU

CID1990
November 18th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Must be a big drinking week for the Citadel. Congrats on your best record since ????? 1992. We have had 6 years of mediocrity, on the other hand, I hope we never celebrate 7-4 and staying home during the post season.

:p

Congrats again.

Wrong again you purplish puke we were 7-4 in 2007.

AND at least we have a viable argument that we deserve an at large over Coastal Carolina.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I don't think any SoCon member has the pieces to contend for the title.

App's youth and health issues on the Oline, GSU's kicking game, and Wofford's secondary will prevent a title run. I just don't see any of the three defeating their likely 2ns game opponent. wofford has statistically one of the best pass defenses in the conference

OL FU
November 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM

AND at least we have a viable argument that we deserve an at large over Coastal Carolina.

Glad you were happy with that.xnodx

BTW, have another drink

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM

not to mention two more wins against ASU/GSU, who last I checked, made the field.

OL FU
November 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
not to mention two more wins against ASU/GSU, who last I checked, made the field.

90 doesn't need any help:D

Saint3333
November 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM
wofford has statistically one of the best pass defenses in the conference

SoCon isn't a passing conference. Eye test friend.

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Just about every 7 win team deserves a spot over the beach chickens. Sammy and Chatty have better teams and resumes. The Big South should never have 2 teams in the playoffs.

CID1990
November 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Well it doesn't matter. We had a chance to take care of business this season, ironically that best chance was against Wofford and we blew it.

We'll take the momentum from the thrashing we delivered to Vermin into the offseason and work on our defense. Next year's gonna be interesting.

furpal87
November 18th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Thought Coastal was the automatic bid.

walliver
November 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Thought Coastal was the automatic bid.

Coastal was the automatic bid, which explains why the Big South should not have one. Next year they will only have 6 members (and only 2 decent teams).

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM

OL, I am 100% confident that Furman's passing playbook was extremely curtailed with a true freshman quarterback. From my seats, most of the passing routes are simple routes to the same side of the field. As much as it seems reasonable to suggest Furman never opened up the playbook, it seems just as reasonable to think that they simply could not do with Hannon what they were able to do with Forcier. Teams went into the locker room at the half with the understanding that Furman simply wasn't going to threaten them down the field throwing the ball. Makes defense a lot easier when you can bring 8 guys up on the line of scrimmage.

Let's also not forget that teams focus heavily on Anderson. Last season teams could ill afford to do so because of vertical threats like Cunningham. This season, teams simply take Anderson out of the game because there is virtually no concern that Furman will throw it over their heads. These are the type of problems that occur when you have freshmen and sophomores making up most of your starting offense. There's simply not a playbook big enough right now to beat these defenses.

Apphole
November 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
1. App State-Same record as the other three, but we haven't lost a game in a while. We got hot at the end of the season instead of the beginning like Woff/GaSO and now that there is finally time for players to heal, we will be playing the best football December 1.
2. The Stink-Valiant effort at first against the dawgs, but depth was your undoing. It's amazing how bad your kicker is. Also good to finally see you play in front of a competent officiating crew, am I right xlolx ? And hey what do you know, they call you for chop blocking.
3. Wofford-I really think if you had 22 more scholarships, you would have beaten USC. Depth is insurmountable. Breitenstein's beard is epic. He looks like an App fan.
4. Citadel-Ended on a good note after sub-par middle 2/3 of the season.
5. Furman-Furman blowing it against the Citadel and deciding Georgia Southern's destiny for them for the second year in a row turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Appalachian. Thanks for being you!
6. Chatty-Terrible scheduling and typical bad execution leads to your annual disappointing season. Fire Huesman. Robinson is the better QB.
7. Samford-Solid year.
8. Elon-........
9. WOrstin Carolina Can'tamounts-At least you will sweep us in basketball this year. We are laughably bad.

SpeedkingATL
November 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
1A. Georgia Southern - Gave Dawgs hell for a half and penalty changed the game. Just hope they don't need a FG at the end of a playoff game.
1B. App State - Played better toward the end of the year and hopefully healthy and ready to play in the playoffs. They don't want to have to kick a FG to win in the playoffs either.
1C. Wofford - Great defensive performance against Cocks. Hopefully healthy enough on offense to make a run in the playoffs.
4. Sammy - Solid year but horrible performance against Kentucky. Play calling is horrible at times.
5. Citdogs - Turnaround year but fell one game short of potential playoff bid.
6. UTC - Talented but snakebitten. Have to learn how to close/finish. Robinson's talent somewhat wasted.
7. Furman - Disapointing season for former power in SoCon. Will try and build around frosh QB.
8. Elon - Back to the drawing board.
9 W Carolina - A little more competitive but still more Division II than SoCon. Give Spier a couple of years and it will turn around.

T-Dog
November 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Might as well post my latest article here to follow tradition. Nothing to predict and I don't do Power Rankings. This week it's all about the playoffs. Look at why some teams didn't get in and a brief look ahead to Illinois State.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Brackety-Yak and a Normal Team (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeebyaant/)

ElCid
November 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
1. Georgia Southern - had a couple hiccups but they are strong, even with a hole or two
1. App State - Definitely got it together as the year progressed, I think they are the only SOCON to get past quarterfinal due to bracket
1. Wofford - Seemed like they were on the slide, but looks like they stopped it against S. Carolina, even with the lose they looked pretty good

4. Samford - Quietly plodded along all year and had some pretty good wins, and couple close loses; looked real bad against Kentucky though
4. Citadel - Hot and cold; had some awesome Wins and ended season well, but had a couple bad loses and a couple closer than they should have been; can't wait until next year with our 19 starters returning and a healthier defense...hee hee hee
4. UTC - Something is not right in Chattytown; coulda been a contender, shoulda been a contender, problem is not necessarily talent

7. Furman - Could be a couple years until they are back
8. Elon - Only going to get worse
9. Western Carolina - What can you say; they will only get better

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM
SoCon isn't a passing conference. Eye test friend.

If you're going to talk about eye-test, I can guarantee I've seen more Wofford games than you, and I can say your criticism is invalid. The point still stands that if Wofford has one of the better pass defenses in the conference, chances are the secondary isn't the problem. By that logic, you should add having a terrible secondary to the criticism of App State and GSU, who plays in the same conference and has a statistically lower pass efficiency defense.

Of the teams in the playoffs, Wofford has the 9th best pass efficiency defense. Granted, that's nothing special in particular, but my point is that there's no statistical basis for the claim that Wofford's secondary is a weakness. With that said, crying "eye test!" is not a way to vindicate your lack of evidence for a claim, especially when more people can say the opposite.

It's like me saying App's turnover problem will keep them out of the championship run. Do they have a problem turning the ball over? I have no clue, but they did seem to have a problem when playing Wofford, so I'm going to say the eye test says that that is a problem.

This is not how legitimate criticism works.

Saint3333
November 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I've been pretty spot on with Wofford's results all year long. Guess we'll see who is right in a few weeks.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM
this might be the best defense Woffard has put on the field in years, but, there is no debate, that their offense, eating up huge amounts of the clock, protects their defense. I'm sure that if Wofford ran a quick strike, spread offense like Apps, their defensive stats would be much worse.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
this might be the best defense Woffard has put on the field in years, but, there is no debate, that their offense, eating up huge amounts of the clock, protects their defense. I'm sure that if Wofford ran a quick strike, spread offense like Apps, their defensive stats would be much worse.

That's probably an accurate assessment usually, but this year things are slightly different. Our offense has royally sucked in the last month or so due to being decimated by injuries. With that said, we've played great offenses and the most points our defense has allowed the whole year is 24, twice with one of those times being garbage time, the other being in overtime.

our defense averages giving up only 15 points per game (The TSN stats are inaccurate because they count defensive scores as scoring on the defense). That sort of gameplay will keep you competitive with anyone. If our offense doesn't turn the ball over and gives other teams opportunities to score, we will be in a position to win every game from here on out.

ElCid
November 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM
If you're going to talk about eye-test, I can guarantee I've seen more Wofford games than you, and I can say your criticism is invalid. The point still stands that if Wofford has one of the better pass defenses in the conference, chances are the secondary isn't the problem. By that logic, you should add having a terrible secondary to the criticism of App State and GSU, who plays in the same conference and has a statistically lower pass efficiency defense.

Sorry puppy, but his point is valid. Since the SOCON really is not a passing conference, it is really is silly to even think Wofford's pass defense is good. Seriously. Maybe compared against Ga So and App but, but go out of conf and it looks silly.

Wofford was 9th, last is completions allowed per game in the SOCON (20.7)
Wofford was 8th in % completions in SOCON (66.5%)
Wofford was 6 of 9 in SOCON in yards allowed at 2092 (W Carolina was 5th at 2001)
Wofford was 6 of 9 in SOCON in yards allowed per game at 190.2
Wofford was actually 1st in SOCON at 7 TDs allowed but if you allow alot of yards in passing to get close and let a rushing TD in, does it really matter?
Wofford was 4 of 9 in interceptions
Wofford was dead last in passing first downs allowed at 112, 1st (Elon) allowed 65 for comparison

Yes, you might beat GaSO and App in a couple categories, but by comparison to the rest of the pass defense in the SOCON, Wofford was not very impressive. Wofford's offense controlling the tempo with the run game was its best defense. True even against USC last week.

Now, if you had bragged about Wofford's run defense I would support your position 100%. But pass defense. Don't be silly. Once you come up against a seriously good pass offense, you will be seriously challenged. Good luck against NH and if you make it that far, OD. If you survive their pass offense, brag again and I will back you up.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry puppy, but his point is valid. Since the SOCON really is not a passing conference, it is really is silly to even think Wofford's pass defense is good. Seriously. Maybe compared against Ga So and App but, but go out of conf and it looks silly.

Wofford was 9th, last is completions allowed per game in the SOCON (20.7)
Wofford was 8th in % completions in SOCON (66.5%)
Wofford was 6 of 9 in SOCON in yards allowed at 2092 (W Carolina was 5th at 2001)
Wofford was 6 of 9 in SOCON in yards allowed per game at 190.2
Wofford was actually 1st in SOCON at 7 TDs allowed but if you allow alot of yards in passing to get close and let a rushing TD in, does it really matter?
Wofford was 4 of 9 in interceptions
Wofford was dead last in passing first downs allowed at 112, 1st (Elon) allowed 65 for comparison

Yes, you might beat GaSO and App in a couple categories, but by comparison to the rest of the pass defense in the SOCON, Wofford was not very impressive. Wofford's offense controlling the tempo with the run game was its best defense. True even against USC last week.

Now, if you had bragged about Wofford's run defense I would support your position 100%. But pass defense. Don't be silly. Once you come up against a seriously good pass offense, you will be seriously challenged. Good luck against NH and if you make it that far, OD. If you survive their pass offense, brag again and I will back you up.

These stats would be wonderfully helpful to your argument however they overlook some key points.
For instance, We're number one in redzone defense so point number 5 is an invalid claim

As for the rest of your claims, there are other factors as to why those numbers are so inflated. We run the multiple 50 defense, any idea what that means? It's a zone defense, whose intention is to not let teams beat us deep with the pass by not letting anything behind us. The lack of passing TDs is a good reflection on that. Will there be cheap stuff given up between the 30s? yes, but once you get inside the 30s, it's harder to score and our redzone defense numbers reflect that.

As for the number of passing yards etc, that reflect poorly, a lot of that has to do with offenses being down big in the second half and having to throw more. I know for a fact that ASU and Western got a lot of their pass yards (and total yardage) in the 4th quarter while Wofford was up big.

So, statistically, yeah you could say there's nothing special about our pass defense, but at the end of the day, they don't get beat deep and they make plays when necessary, and that's not an "eye test" thing, that's a tale of the tape and the box score thing.

App Student
November 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
These stats would be wonderfully helpful to your argument however they overlook some key points.
For instance, We're number one in redzone defense so point number 5 is an invalid claim

As for the rest of your claims, there are other factors as to why those numbers are so inflated. We run the multiple 50 defense, any idea what that means? It's a zone defense, whose intention is to not let teams beat us deep with the pass by not letting anything behind us. The lack of passing TDs is a good reflection on that. Will there be cheap stuff given up between the 30s? yes, but once you get inside the 30s, it's harder to score and our redzone defense numbers reflect that.

As for the number of passing yards etc, that reflect poorly, a lot of that has to do with offenses being down big in the second half and having to throw more. I know for a fact that ASU and Western got a lot of their pass yards (and total yardage) in the 4th quarter while Wofford was up big.

So, statistically, yeah you could say there's nothing special about our pass defense, but at the end of the day, they don't get beat deep and they make plays when necessary, and that's not an "eye test" thing, that's a tale of the tape and the box score thing.

So at what point was Wofford up big in the 4th quarter of the ASU game? 10 points was the largest margin in the fourth quarter. If you consider this large then I will give you your point however I personally do not see this as "up big."

ElCid
November 21st, 2012, 05:50 AM

Rose colored glasses can put any spin you want on it. You control the ball on O, and you have a great D against the rush. And you are spot on and do have a good Red Zone D. But do not talk yourself into thinking that you have a good Pass D. You have only faced two or three good passing teams so far this year.

My point is that while you did subpar in basic pass defense stats and, granted, pretty good in scoring D, is that you still have not been seriously challenged by a passing attack week in and week out in the SOCON. How can you make such a claim with that resume as your only track record? And my only point in showing the stats is that even when compared to other teams with the same schedule, and some running similar defensive schemes, you did not even do as well. It is all a matter of persepctive and comparing apples to apples. Fortunately for you, you got the Ws, but your "pass D" was not a huge part of why.

Saint3333
November 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
I was forced to watch the SC/Wofford game with my SC in-laws this weekend and was pulling for Wofford. My in-laws couldn't believe they were tied in the 4th. I said that is because you playing Wofford's game. As soon as they attempted a couple of passes over 15 yards bingo the new gameplan worked. Wofford is more athletic than they have been in the past but they do not have superior athletes in the back 7 on defense compared to quite a few teams in the playoffs. They win because they have good lineplay and style of offense. If they run into a team with a strong dline and passing attack they will lose. UNH has half of that, I expect UNH to score but not to be able to stop their rushing attack. Wofford by 7.

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2012, 08:27 AM
Rose colored glasses can put any spin you want on it. You control the ball on O, and you have a great D against the rush. And you are spot on and do have a good Red Zone D. But do not talk yourself into thinking that you have a good Pass D. You have only faced two or three good passing teams so far this year.

My point is that while you did subpar in basic pass defense stats and, granted, pretty good in scoring D, is that you still have not been seriously challenged by a passing attack week in and week out in the SOCON. How can you make such a claim with that resume as your only track record? And my only point in showing the stats is that even when compared to other teams with the same schedule, and some running similar defensive schemes, you did not even do as well. It is all a matter of persepctive and comparing apples to apples. Fortunately for you, you got the Ws, but your "pass D" was not a huge part of why.

It's an interesting take for sure. One the one hand, the "eye test" is invalid because it's not objective. On the other hand, the stats you posted are invalid because they are not subjective. An interesting take, indeed.

OL FU
November 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM
OL, I am 100% confident that Furman's passing playbook was extremely curtailed with a true freshman quarterback. From my seats, most of the passing routes are simple routes to the same side of the field. As much as it seems reasonable to suggest Furman never opened up the playbook, it seems just as reasonable to think that they simply could not do with Hannon what they were able to do with Forcier. Teams went into the locker room at the half with the understanding that Furman simply wasn't going to threaten them down the field throwing the ball. Makes defense a lot easier when you can bring 8 guys up on the line of scrimmage.

Let's also not forget that teams focus heavily on Anderson. Last season teams could ill afford to do so because of vertical threats like Cunningham. This season, teams simply take Anderson out of the game because there is virtually no concern that Furman will throw it over their heads. These are the type of problems that occur when you have freshmen and sophomores making up most of your starting offense. There's simply not a playbook big enough right now to beat these defenses.

I hope you are correct. There were quite a few times Anderson was wide open and not thrown to. I can chalk that up to a freshman QB. On the other hand, it is one thing to lose the second half in every game. Quite another to get walloped.

blueballs
November 21st, 2012, 10:53 AM
I was forced to watch the SC/Wofford game with my SC in-laws this weekend and was pulling for Wofford. My in-laws couldn't believe they were tied in the 4th. I said that is because you playing Wofford's game. As soon as they attempted a couple of passes over 15 yards bingo the new gameplan worked. Wofford is more athletic than they have been in the past but they do not have superior athletes in the back 7 on defense compared to quite a few teams in the playoffs. They win because they have good lineplay and style of offense. If they run into a team with a strong dline and passing attack they will lose. UNH has half of that, I expect UNH to score but not to be able to stop their rushing attack. Wofford by 7.

To me Wofford's kryptonite is a fast defense with stout d-tackles that can stuff the dive.

When GSU and Wofford met this year I turned to the folks around me (a couple of whom post here) after the first series and said Wofford wouldn't be able to score against GSU unless they tricked them because GSU's d-tackles are stout and GSU's defense had more speed than Wofford's offense. That proved to be the case in that match up.

IMO the same thing will apply in the playoffs... if they meet a defense with stout tackles and above average speed they are in big trouble.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
So at what point was Wofford up big in the 4th quarter of the ASU game? 10 points was the largest margin in the fourth quarter. If you consider this large then I will give you your point however I personally do not see this as "up big."

no, but a majority of the yardage App got all game was in the fourth when we were up 2 scores and were letting everything happen in front of us, but not the cheap deep stuff

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM

The lack of passing touchdowns this year is credence to a good pass defense.

Enjoy sitting at home.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM

Funny, I was at the game, and USC only completed like one deep pass the whole game, what killed us was the short pass over the middle to the running back in which it was completed 5 yards down field and the RB got about 10 yac yards. Check the stats, that's how the game went, our pass defense is solid down field, the short cheap stuff is what kills us between the 30s, but we play good redzone defense and get the job done. It's not the secondary that's bad, it's the inside linebackers (who are somewhat depleted by injury) in pass coverage that are the weakness.

Horseshoe App
November 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM
I actually think Wofford had a pretty good defensive backfield. They played us better than GSU. Wofford had that 2 deep safety look the entire game and forced us to be patient. They would bend, but not break. We could not get deep on them. We would eventually make a mistake to slow ourself down.
Georgia Southern tried to blitz us the entire game, which allowed us to go deep and put their db's in one on one situations.
Though Georgia Southern has better athletes than Wofford, Wofford's scheme helps level the playing field.

Funny, I was at the game, and USC only completed like one deep pass the whole game, what killed us was the short pass over the middle to the running back in which it was completed 5 yards down field and the RB got about 10 yac yards. Check the stats, that's how the game went, our pass defense is solid down field, the short cheap stuff is what kills us between the 30s, but we play good redzone defense and get the job done. It's not the secondary that's bad, it's the inside linebackers (who are somewhat depleted by injury) in pass coverage that are the weakness.

Saint3333
November 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
YT I watched the entire game from a SC tailgate, they didn't attempt a pass down field until the fourth and when they did they rolled. That is how the game went.

utcfan
November 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
1. Georgia Southern
2. Appalachian State
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. Citadel
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

Good luck to GSU, ASU, and WC in the playoffs...Represent!

I-16Bandit
November 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
1. App State-Same record as the other three, but we haven't lost a game in a while. We got hot at the end of the season instead of the beginning like Woff/GaSO and now that there is finally time for players to heal, we will be playing the best football December 1.
2. The Stink-Valiant effort at first against the dawgs, but depth was your undoing. It's amazing how bad your kicker is. Also good to finally see you play in front of a competent officiating crew, am I right xlolx ? And hey what do you know, they call you for chop blocking.

lol @ your butthurt

GATA
November 22nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
So we all agree that App State is likely going to get their asses handed to them at home in their first playoff game this year? wait wait...they're not playing a CAA team. So they'll probably be alright.

Apphole
November 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
lol @ your butthurt

Beating you two years in a row inspires mucho butthurt.

#tightbutthole

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Beating you two years in a row inspires mucho butthurt.

#tightbutthole

Poor guy. Your team beat us and still couldn't pass over us for the conference title.

Too bad that magic didn't carry over to the playoffs last year.

Saint3333
November 23rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Co-champs and a win over GSU, butt hurt? Nice spin. How's your kicker?

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
Co-champs and a win over GSU, butt hurt? Nice spin. How's your kicker?

Taking jabs at an amateur. Your mother would be proud.

Saint3333
November 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
News flash the guys you're talking about at App are as well...

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
News flash the guys you're talking about at App are as well...

Feel free to point out where I said anything about your players.

Saint3333
November 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
A team is not made of players?

Sounds like someone really is butthurt here.

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
A team is not made of players?

Sounds like someone really is butthurt here.

Over what? We've been to the semis two years in a row and we're in the playoff with a seed once again. I have no problems at all GSU's season. Don't get me wrong, losing sucks.

But we lost to a top 15 team by three points. Big deal.

Horseshoe App
November 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Can you say you have had magic in the playoff? I haven't seen you guys in the championship game either. Yes, we lost before you, but you didn't reach the goal either. Just calling a spade a spadexeyebrowx

Poor guy. Your team beat us and still couldn't pass over us for the conference title.

Too bad that magic didn't carry over to the playoffs last year.

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Can you say you have had magic in the playoff? I haven't seen you guys in the championship game either. Yes, we lost before you, but you didn't reach the goal either. Just calling a spade a spadexeyebrowx

Are you insinuating that five playoff victories in the last two years would be equal to ASU's one playoff victory simply because neither team won the championship?

Horseshoe App
November 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
No I am not saying that. But how can it be magical if you didn't carry a trophy home.

Are you insinuating that five playoff victories in the last two years would be equal to ASU's one playoff victory simply because neither team won the championship?

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
No I am not saying that. But how can it be magical if you didn't carry a trophy home.

Because I consider a good season like that a success. You're welcome to disagree. I'm certainly not going to bother with your childish little argument, though.

theasushow
November 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
ASU expects to win it all every year. Is it realistic? no. But I am sure that 99% of the 30,000 people that go to the Rock on Saturdays would tell you they expect a NC. When we got dismantled at the Rock the past couple years during the playoffs trust me....there was no feeling of success.

Horseshoe App
November 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
It is sort of funny you call it a great success when the majority of your fan base would not. You should know that most GSU fans expect championship runs every year. I am pretty sure they would not call it a great success without getting to the championship game and it definitely is not magical. And your saying my argument is childish shows your maturity. In no way did I attack you personally and then you step across that line.

Because I consider a good season like that a success. You're welcome to disagree. I'm certainly not going to bother with your childish little argument, though.

cbarrier90
November 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
lol ASU in a rebuilding year wins a share of the SoCon against the two "teams of destiny" at GSU and Wofford and EVERYBODY hates us again...

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
ASU expects to win it all every year. Is it realistic? no. But I am sure that 99% of the 30,000 people that go to the Rock on Saturdays would tell you they expect a NC. When we got dismantled at the Rock the past couple years during the playoffs trust me....there was no feeling of success.

We haven't gotten dismantled at home. We've been beaten pretty soundly by two very good teams on the road, though.

It is sort of funny you call it a great success when the majority of your fan base would not. You should know that most GSU fans expect championship runs every year. I am pretty sure they would not call it a great success without getting to the championship game and it definitely is not magical. And your saying my argument is childish shows your maturity. In no way did I attack you personally and then you step across that line.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a majority of our fan-base that is disappointed with our first two seasons under the new staff.

Granted, there are some who are disappointed with how 2011 has gone, but it's been very good considering changing quarterbacks, losing the best kicker we've had in a long time (which no one really thinks about until you miss two crucial kicks to win/extend games) and other personnel issues.

You can feel free to downplay it all you want, but it's been a pretty good three years up to this point.

Also, whether you like it or not - calling out a player who is doing everything he can to perform is childish.

whoanellie
November 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
a season that your starting QB is returning is NOT a rebuilding year. you guys just reload.
lol ASU in a rebuilding year wins a share of the SoCon against the two "teams of destiny" at GSU and Wofford and EVERYBODY hates us again...

dungeonjoe
November 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Again? Some never stopped! :)

seantaylor
November 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM
GSU has won the last two Socon championships and went to the semifinals in 2010 in rebuilding years. Coming off the huge hole Hatcher and Baker put us in and Appy can't win a playoff game at home?

GATA
November 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Pretty sure nobody ever stopped hating App State.

Also...the 2010 GSU was a REBUILDING team. This App State team is far from rebuilding.

Horseshoe App
November 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Please show me where I called out a player. Someone else did, but I did not. I felt bad for your kicker. It would suck to have that much pressure on you as a freshman. I am sure he will be a fine player before it is all said and done.

We haven't gotten dismantled at home. We've been beaten pretty soundly by two very good teams on the road, though.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a majority of our fan-base that is disappointed with our first two seasons under the new staff.

Granted, there are some who are disappointed with how 2011 has gone, but it's been very good considering changing quarterbacks, losing the best kicker we've had in a long time (which no one really thinks about until you miss two crucial kicks to win/extend games) and other personnel issues.

You can feel free to downplay it all you want, but it's been a pretty good three years up to this point.

Also, whether you like it or not - calling out a player who is doing everything he can to perform is childish.

Horseshoe App
November 24th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Have you seen our offensive and defensive line. They are very young. I would have to say we are rebuilding in that area. The rest of the team is very good, but we are thin in those areas.

Pretty sure nobody ever stopped hating App State.

Also...the 2010 GSU was a REBUILDING team. This App State team is far from rebuilding.

Saint3333
November 24th, 2012, 07:37 AM
App starts 6 freshman, we aren't rebuilding?

blueballs
November 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
App starts 6 freshman, we aren't rebuilding?

Reloading... You won't be rebuilding until there is a coaching change, big difference. Be glad you aren't rebuikding.

asumike83
November 24th, 2012, 08:36 AM
We have the same head coach but a very different staff. Seven new assistants, not one returning offensive coach.

The biggest struggle for us is all the youth up front, which is where many games are won or lost. Our front lines consist of five sophomores and thee freshmen.

Whether it is reloading or rebuilding, I think 8 wins is a very good regular season with all the inexperience in key areas and coaching turnover. I am very intersted to see how they handle the postseason.

Saint3333
November 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
We won't be rebuilding as long as we are FCS by your definition.

GlassOnion
November 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Reloading... You won't be rebuilding until there is a coaching change, big difference. Be glad you aren't rebuikding.

App is rebuilding.

6 new coaches.
3 new starters on the OL, all 5 Sophs or Freshmen.
3 redshirt Freshmen, and one true Soph. on the DL.
Safety playing corner, DE playing LB.

Not to mention the injury plague, we've been gaing and losing players all year.

A bright spot, Scott Satterfield has brought the offense from 400 yards per game last year, to 467 yards per game this year. 31st in the nation to 10th. As soon as we get some experience and build these young guys up on the OL, we'll be a monster on offense.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM

I honestly don't think we'll have any problems with that-Satterfield will probably move into the Head Coaching slot and the normal transitioning problems associated with getting a new coach will be minimized (at least that's what I hope and expect to happen).

gsu_paintballer
November 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Rebuilding vs reloading has to be one of the most overused cliches.

Right up there with "Option offenses can't afford to get down two scores"

CropDuster
November 24th, 2012, 09:54 AM
App is rebuilding.

6 new coaches.
3 new starters on the OL, all 5 Sophs or Freshmen.
3 redshirt Freshmen, and one true Soph. on the DL.
Safety playing corner, DE playing LB.

Not to mention the injury plague, we've been gaing and losing players all year.

A bright spot, Scott Satterfield has brought the offense from 400 yards per game last year, to 467 yards per game this year. 31st in the nation to 10th. As soon as we get some experience and build these young guys up on the OL, we'll be a monster on offense.

Since we're making excuses

OL 7 underclassmen on 2 deep, 4 of 5 Starters are Sophomores
New starting QB, who also plays two other positions half the time.
Swope has missed a couple of games to concussions.
Sr LB Eubanks moved to Safety, Sr LB Josh Rowe isn't playing this year, Oehlbeck is injured so we're playing a TFr at MLB and a walkon is our leading tackler at WLB.
Best A back we had playing safety
Entirely new kicking unit which I won't get started on xrolleyesx

Saint3333
November 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
App lost 8 starters on the defense between Jan 1 and the third game of the season, checkmate.

GATA
November 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
App lost 8 starters on the defense between Jan 1 and the third game of the season, checkmate.

That explains alot...because you guys are as bad on defense as you've ever been.

cbarrier90
November 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM
That explains alot...because you guys are as bad on defense as you've ever been.

Which is why this team will be lucky to make it to Cheney, let alone further...

Saint3333
November 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Looked good the 2nd half of our game though.

seantaylor
November 25th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Losing thugs doesn't really count. Not like it was bad luck. It was inevitable.

Saint3333
November 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Pot,
Four were injuries.
Sincerely,
Kettle

asumike83
November 25th, 2012, 08:40 AM

I'm glad that some of these guys are no longer associated with Appalachian but it is not fair to categorize all the kids we've lost as 'thugs'. We've lost 4 on the defensive 2-deep to season ending injuries, at least 2 of whom would have been starters.

CID1990
November 25th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Lol Seantaylor called somebody thugs