PDA

View Full Version : Rhody views

Brad82
August 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Men-Rhode Island is 2 and 1/2 weeks away from opening season @ UCONN.
I am curious as to what other teams and their fans views are of our team,program and constant mediocrity? What do you see and hear?

Thanks.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
My view has always been that Rhode Island has severely under-funded the football program and that is the main reason for the Rams' lack of success. Give Tim Stowers enough resources and, for crying out loud, he has been very successful at the I-AA level. He is one of only 21 coaches to win a I-AA title and I think his option will always work well, considering the Rams are one of only two teams in the northeast that run it (Buknell being the other). The Rams have had good offensively personnel over the past few years, just not enough defense. Also, URI needs to upgrade its stadium facilities. With New Hampshire and Northeastern making pushes to improve their awful facilities at Cowell Stadium and Parsons Field, Meade Stadium will soon be the worst in the A-10, if it isn't already.

WMTribe90
August 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Well, URI took it to WM last year at RI. I think URI was clicking that day and WM just couldn't seem to get any positive momentum, credit to the Rams. I think the option is a good offense for URI. Sounds like you've found a capable replacement at QB and with five starters back on the OL I expect the offense to rack up yards again this year. What do you guys have on the defensive side of the ball?

As for UConn, its an interresting match-up. UConn has been streadily improving in the BE. However, I doubt any of their players have faced the triple option in college unless UConn has played Navy recently. On the downside UConn will have all preseason to prepare for it, but seeing it at practice speed and playing against at game speed are far from the same. I see URI moving the ball effectively early. Sounds like your new QB has some touch on his deep balls (something Davis did not have IMO), so there's the potential for some play action passes downfield. Obviously URI will have to control the time of possessions and not put the ball on the ground. Do that and I see a shootout that might come down to the end.

I'll be rooting for the Rams!

Brad82
August 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040105aad.html?pic=4
Building new west side of stands. Outside of weight room being off campus,I am not sure I agree re. facilities. Look at UNH. The BB arena we built for team is one of best in the entire east coast and team has gotten worse. Defense has to get better.

Umass74
August 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I agree with Mr. C.

Stowers has had one of the lowest scholarship counts in the A10 (not including Towson) and half a stadium. That's very difficult to compete with big buck outfits like JMU and Delaware.

The Rams offense has usually been OK. It's just that they don't have enough athletes on defense.

The improvements in the Stadium will help morale. You get what you pay for and right now Rhody is not funding a playoff team.

Stowers should get some credit for sticking by the program.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I agree with Mr. C.

Stowers has had one of the lowest scholarship counts in the A10 (not including Towson) and half a stadium. That's very difficult to compete with big buck outfits like JMU and Delaware.

The Rams offense has usually been OK. It's just that they don't have enough athletes on defense.

The improvements in the Stadium will help morale. You get what you pay for and right now Rhody is not funding a playoff team.

Stowers should get some credit for sticking by the program.
I totally agree with your assessment.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Uncle Buck
August 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Gotta agree with not enough athletes on defense. Rhody needs to drop more money into the program. Offensively they can typically gain yards and score, but defensively they are way too soft. With a few more play makers on defense, URI could definitely eat up the clock, get some stops and win some games. Then again, couldn't we all.

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 08:42 AM
With New Hampshire and Northeastern making pushes to improve their awful facilities at Cowell Stadium and Parsons Field, Meade Stadium will soon be the worst in the A-10, if it isn't already.

What is Northeastern doing, junking Parsons?

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
What is Northeastern doing, junking Parsons?
Northeastern has been talking about plans for a stadium for at least two years. Don't know where they are on fundraising, or how far down the road this is.

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Northeastern has been talking about plans for a stadium for at least two years. Don't know where they are on fundraising, or how far down the road this is.

That's great, I missed those talks on getting an actual football stadium.