PDA

View Full Version : Quick & Dirty Reasons why your team doesn't make the playoffs

ITmonarch10
November 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Feel free to expand on to this.

Big Sky

Cal Poly (8-3) You have an FBS victory , but your inability to step up against a single ranked team in the Big Sky is disturbing. It reinforces the low ranking in polls when you were unbeaten. People just weren't buying what you were selling.
NAU (8-3) You will have an FBS victory, but your are only 8-3 because you have the weakest schedule in the Big Sky. No Ranked team victories and choked againt SUU. You can also blame Montana for having a bad year.

MVFC

SDSU (8-3) You are extremely low in both polls despite conference mates with similar resumes being higher ranked than you. If you were named NDSU, YSU, or UNI you would probably be 5 spots higher and not worrying about the playoffs.
Indiana State (8-3) Blame your AD for giving you a FBS and a Div 2 game on your schedule. You will probably end up ranked higher than SDSU and have more conference victories than Illinois State ;however, the committee will use your 7 Div wins against you despite knocking off #1 NDSU.

CAA (The age of CAA field flooding may be over with our low computer rankings and stacked field this year. Thank you Rhode Island and Georgia State, our teams GPI drops if we don't kick your *** hard enough). I don't think they want 5 CAA teams again. I'm thinking they will get 3 teams in this time.

Richmond (8-3) You have a slim chance to win the autobid and have one of the weakest SOS in the CAA. JMU loses to ODU your best win suddenly doesn't look so great. Combine with your low poll rankings, I can see Richmond being thrown under the bus.
JMU (8-3) You beat ODU at the end of the year ,but still your CAA schedule is on the weaker side. You are also currently the lowest CAA playoff contender in the Massey ratings and that win might not make up for low computer ratings.
ODU(9-2) You lost to JMU at the end of the year and ended the season of a negative note. Even with the lost you have a strong resume and SoS by playing every CAA playoff contender ,but they could see ODU moving up as a good enough reason to leave them out the playoffs with this field.
UNH (8-3) You lost to Towson at end of the year and now have no chance at winning the autobid. Your schedule is probably the weakest in the CAA avoiding Nova and JMU entirely. Despite poll rankings, you are barely ahead of conference mates in the computers despite only having 1 loss.
Nova (8-3) You won your last game of the season. However, there are too many teams from the CAA going to the playoffs. Due to Head to head, Richmond they steal the last CAA spot to the playoffs.
Towson(7-4)You had 2 FBS games this year and lost twice to FCS conference mates ;therefore, giving you a slim chance at the autobid. Towson is ranked high in the computers and polls ,but will only have 7 fcs wins and it will most likely keep them out considering the field.

SoCon

Wofford (8-3) You have a Div 2 Victory and a FBS loss. You will end up with 7 FCS victories and the committee maybe looking for an excuse to kick good teams out the playoffs.

Southland

Sam Houston (8-3) You have the worst OOC schedule in FCS history. Despite your high computer/poll rankings you may be left for having 7 FCS wins in a perceived weaker conference with a single OOC Div 1 against a SWAC team. If this happens fire your AD.

Patriot League/Big South (Conference Reputation will hurt both contenders. Your conference champion got beat by bottom feeders of power conference)

Lehigh (10-1) You lost the one conference game that truly mattered. Your computer rankings are like 10 spots below the next playoff contender.
Stony Brook (9-2) You lost the one conference game that mattered. You computer rankings are also on the low side despite your FBS victory.
OVC (Alright I don't follow their teams at all) My best guess is that the field is so flooded that you lack of playoff victories as of late may make people doubt your conference is as good as what the polls or computers say.

kingkat99
November 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
We do have 1 rather crappy ooc D1 win. And I agree we should fire our AD, but we won't because he's been there 100 years and we don't care enough about winning.

melloware13
November 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Because we'll finish the year either 5-6 with a 4 game losing streak or 6-5 with a uplifting rivalry win to end the year.

Seawolf97
November 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM
The Liberty debacle says it all.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2012, 08:46 PM
The Liberty debacle says it all.

For SBU I think it's more Syracuse, Army and Pace. 2 FBS'ers and a D2 squad...

The Liberty game is not a bad loss.

DJKyR0
November 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe the selection committee goes on a three-day PCP binge before the bracket is laid out?

profisme
November 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Army was actually a good choice for Stony Brook...

FargoBison
November 15th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah Army is the only reason they have a shot right now.

DJnva
November 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
ODU(8-3) You lost to JMU at the end of the year and ended the season of a negative note. Even with the lost you have a strong resume and SoS by playing every CAA playoff contender ,but they could see ODU moving up as a good enough reason to leave them out the playoffs with this field.

Um, a loss to JMU and ODU is 9-2.

They're in.

walliver
November 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Gardner-Webb, Western Carolina and mighty Lincoln hurt our SOS.

Also, this is the tenth anniversary of the famous "woofed" team of 2002.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
The worst ODU can finish is 9-2, not 8-3. They will be in the playoffs regardless.

ITmonarch10
November 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Um, a loss to JMU and ODU is 9-2.

They're in.
Fixed
Yeah but you never know, JMU AD might feel like being a dick to us in the committee room rather than being our champion.

DJnva
November 15th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I appreciate your effort, but short of a calamity (a real one, not a football field one), ODU is in.

Skyhawk71
November 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Because UTM lost to 3-7 Tennessee Tech in OT, and don't deserve to go.......but the Hawks will destroy TSU's dreams on Saturday..............OVC gets 2= EIU and EKU, they can thank UTM later.............everybody can cry and whine about EKU later as well............&^%$, I've had enough of the OVC doesn't deserve two...........If they both lose..........OVC get's two again next year and we can go for 22 years in a row

ITmonarch10
November 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Because UTM lost to 3-7 Tennessee Tech in OT, and don't deserve to go.......but the Hawks will destroy TSU's dreams on Saturday..............OVC gets 2= EIU and EKU, they can thank UTM later.............everybody can cry and whine about EKU later as well............&^%$, I've had enough of the OVC doesn't deserve two...........If they both lose..........OVC get's two again next year and we can go for 22 years in a row

I think Tenn-Martin resume is actually better than EKY or are you just assuming EKY's name recognition gets them in.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Sam has 1 D1 OOC win, but just like the rest of the NCAA, we forget Texas Southern is actually D1

ITmonarch10
November 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sam has 1 D1 OOC win, but just like the rest of the NCAA, we forget Texas Southern is actually D1
Woops

I just assumed that Texas Southern was a conference game based of the name. Honestly, I think 7-1 in the Southland sounds better than 6-1 + a SWAC team for a resume.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The Mayans were off by a little over a month.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM

This is literally the first time I've realized SBU played a DII. That makes them just 8-2 v DI if they win this Saturday. Having a really hard time seeing how they get in and Lehigh definitely jumps them, to me.

Skyhawk71
November 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think Tenn-Martin resume is actually better than EKY or are you just assuming EKY's name recognition gets them in.

They are EKU, name recognition, numerous playoff appearances etc.....never really dropped down in polls even though they lost to EIU handily, EIU was never in top 25 until they won the auto-bid, and EKU barely moved down

Vitojr130
November 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Maybe the selection committee goes on a three-day PCP binge before the bracket is laid out?

If this happened, teams like UNI and Montana would make the cut! xlmaox

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
....because everyone hates us. :D

BisonCM
November 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
....because everyone hates us. :D

and some of us for good reasons

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
ODU is in regardless of what happens this weekend. I can't see the selection committee being that petty as to hold the fact that this is their last year in the FCS against them.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lakesbison overthrows all our athletic department leaders and states that his first act of business is to rescind our invite to the FCS playoffs in favor of trying to garner a BCS bowl bid.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
ODU is in regardless of what happens this weekend. I can't see the selection committee being that petty as to hold the fact that this is their last year in the FCS against them.

Certainly not as the chair of the committee would like to keep ODU on his good side.

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Lakesbison overthrows all our athletic department leaders and states that his first act of business is to rescind our invite to the FCS playoffs in favor of trying to garner a BCS bowl bid.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ekufbfan
November 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM

Eh...FYI EKU beat UTM on UTM's field....that could have a little to do with them"perhaps" having a better team ? Should EKU get in before UTM based on head to head competition? At least i think so, thats why you play the game on the field not on a paper resume. Btw. Correct me if I am wrong I don't think UTM has beat EKU but one time since they joined the OVC. Maybe that has a little to with the " perception" and rank??? I agree that EIU should have moved ahead of EKU, but don't see the reasoning regarding UTM.

93henfan
November 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Because we suck. Hard.

No playoffs in six of last eight seasons with the highest paid coach in FCS.

ITmonarch10
November 16th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Eh...FYI EKU beat UTM on UTM's field....that could have a little to do with them"perhaps" having a better team ? Should EKU get in before UTM based on head to head competition? At least i think so, thats why you play the game on the field not on a paper resume. Btw. Correct me if I am wrong I don't think UTM has beat EKU but one time since they joined the OVC. Maybe that has a little to with the " perception" and rank??? I agree that EIU should have moved ahead of EKU, but don't see the reasoning regarding UTM. They have a FBS win over Memphis and that has to count for something when selecting a second team from the OVC.

ekufbfan
November 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
They have a FBS win over Memphis and that has to count for something when selecting a second team from the OVC.

Using that argument, why play a conference season? They beat Memphis just give' em the AQ.

ITmonarch10
November 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Using that argument, why play a conference season? They beat Memphis just give' em the AQ.

To determine who gets the Auto-bid. We are talking about the entire schedule when determining an at large bid. Head to head isn't the final solution when choosing teams for the playoffs. We are having the same discussion in the CAA when it comes to Richmond and Villanova. Richmond beat Nova ,but Nova has had a harder schedule and has better wins overall. If ODU was 8-3 instead of 9-2(assuming loss to JMU), we would still get in over Nova, Richmond, Towson, JMU and an 8-3 UNH despite losing to Nova/JMU due to our SoS as we were the only ones to play every playoff contender in the CAA. That's why I think the Memphis win may give them the nod over EKY even though they beat them. Memphis is actually starting to win some games making it worth something.

ekufbfan
November 17th, 2012, 06:58 AM
To determine who gets the Auto-bid. We are talking about the entire schedule when determining an at large bid. Head to head isn't the final solution when choosing teams for the playoffs. We are having the same discussion in the CAA when it comes to Richmond and Villanova. Richmond beat Nova ,but Nova has had a harder schedule and has better wins overall. If ODU was 8-3 instead of 9-2(assuming loss to JMU), we would still get in over Nova, Richmond, Towson, JMU and an 8-3 UNH despite losing to Nova/JMU due to our SoS as we were the only ones to play every playoff contender in the CAA. That's why I think the Memphis win may give them the nod over EKY even though they beat them. Memphis is actually starting to win some games making it worth something.

Sorry just do not agree in this case. They beat a bad Memphis at the beginning of season. EKU beats them on their field after they play Memphis. You say Memphis is "starting to win some games", there's the key winning now NOT earlier. Other than Memphis, what "beefs up" their résumé? IMHO, if you beat another team head to head and not by a field goal at end of game, you own what goes with that win for that year,