PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dodd taking shots at I-AA

grizband
August 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Dennis Dodd has the following things to say about I-AA football in this year's college football preview:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9595089

Get 'em Ralph...

8. Let's call it what it is ...
... big-time football and everything else.

Instead, someone got their feelings hurt, the wheels of NCAA legislation started turning and while you were lounging by the pool, they came up with this over the summer:

From now on Division I-A is being referred to as the Football Bowl Division. Division I-AA will be known as the Football Championship Division.

Sniveling I-AA officials thought their division had become stigmatized. To one's surprise, that's probably the case. The 119 top-tier schools fill stadiums, produce the bulk of pro players and earn hundreds of millions in TV revenue.

I-AA? Not so much.

Now that that's fixed expect gobs of top 100 players to sign at places like Illinois State, Florida A&M and Northern Iowa. The balance of power will be shifted to Texas State, not Texas. You see, those schools are no longer "stigmatized." Yes, we think it's stupid too. You can count this space, at least, to continue to call it what it is.

It becomes more and more evident that the stigma attached to I-AA is not given by the teams, rather, it is perpetuated by the media who view anything less that the BCS as irrelevant.

GeauxLions94
August 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
xidiotx :bang: :nono: : flamemad :splat: :asswhip: :spank: :flagged: :waawaa: :pumpuke: : smash :

What an absolute friggin' dipwad! Let the e-mails commence!

grizband
August 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

What an absolute friggin' dipwad! Let the e-mails commence!
I generally like what Dennis says, but this made me reconsider my opinion of him.

Tod
August 12th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Not to change the subject, this guy's a dick, but this caught my eye...

"That means that 54 percent of I-A teams will be in a bowl game this season".

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maybe this will stop the NIT thread (from 40 to 32 teams) in its tracks. :nod:

JMU1992
August 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, I think this will be the common response to the name change. I have already heard Tim Brando discuss this on his radio show, and he had pretty much the same reaction. What I think they do not understand, is that the name change was not really about football, but more about the rest of the athletic program.

I did not have a problem with the I-AA name. My problem is that most fans, and some media for that matter, do not really understand what I-AA is, that it only refers to football, and that the athletic program is Division I. I have thought about this while watching the I-AA NC game. I do not ever remember ESPN explaining on the telecast the difference between I-AA and I-A, that it is a football only division, and that these schools are Division I athletic programs.

August 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Dennis Dodd... "From now on Division I-A is being referred to as the Football Bowl Division. Division I-AA will be known as the Football Championship Division... You can count this space, at least, to continue to call it what it is..."EXCUUUUUUSE ME DDODD, ISN'T "WHAT IT IS" EXACTLY WHAT THEY RELABELED IT TO BE?

Get a life, hater. :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

FACE THE FACT, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/stream/wearethechampionsmix.wma)

(I find it humorous that I-A lovers are so upset by the new labels, talk about a superiority comples, sheesh!)

August 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Your message has been sent to Dennis Dodd;)

Tribe4SF
August 13th, 2006, 06:13 AM
This numbnuts doesn't even have the story right. It's bowl and championship SUBDIVISIONS, not divisions.

They're all Division I, Mr. Dodd. Get it?

August 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
This numbnuts doesn't even have the story right. It's bowl and championship SUBDIVISIONS, not divisions.
They're all Division I, Mr. Dodd. Get it?good point.

blur2005
August 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I gave him hell for that. I mean, I love I-A college football but there is no question that his blanket statement of superiority was ridiculous. I pointed out to him that I-AA teams have beaten plenty of I-A teams and that there were plenty of Sun Belt, WAC, and MAC teams that definitely weren't filling their stadiums last year. Moreover, I pointed out how the name change pisses people off because it just points out which system decides its champion on the field and which does it in the polls, particularly ones with little oversight: the Harris and Coach's.

skinny_uncle
August 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I gave him hell for that. I mean, I love I-A college football but there is no question that his blanket statement of superiority was ridiculous. I pointed out to him that I-AA teams have beaten plenty of I-A teams and that there were plenty of Sun Belt, WAC, and MAC teams that definitely weren't filling their stadiums last year. Moreover, I pointed out how the name change pisses people off because it just points out which system decides its champion on the field and which does it in the polls, particularly ones with little oversight: the Harris and Coach's.
Exactly.
:thumbsup:

grizband
August 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM

They're all Division I, Mr. Dodd. Get it?
He doesn't...and I'm afraid he never will.:nonono2:

DUPFLFan
August 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I think this thread is funny as h**l.

What Mr. Dodd says is exactly the way that most of the 1-AA posters think about 1-AA non-scholarship teams and call us crybabys when we want a little respect.

But when they talk about your teams like that - you whine in the same way.

a quote..."but there is no question that his blanket statement of superiority was ridiculous". Yep - no more ridculous than the 1-AA Posters blanket statement of superiority over the Non-schollys...

I will send it back to you with this. If you think you are as good as 1-A - then increase your scholarships to 85 and join the BCS - which is EXACTLY what you have been telling us to do.

How does it feel???

August 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
... What Mr. Dodd says is exactly the way that most of the 1-AA posters think about 1-AA non-scholarship teams...Once again, since this seems to be your mantra, you're mistaken. Some do, MOST don't. See you at Drake in a couple weeks! :nod:

youwouldno
August 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
85 scholarships vs 63 = 22 scholarship difference

63 vs 0 = 63 scholarship difference

I don't "look down" on non-scholarship I-AA football, but the fact is that there is a major, major difference, just as there is between Texas and your average I-AA team.

That said, it's always wrong to belittle a particular level of play for not being the highest. Competition is predicated on the teams playing under the same rules. I-AA teams are allowed fewer scholarships than I-A teams and thus are not really playing the same game. Doesn't stop I-AA from playing tough games and sometimes winning.

Not to get philosophical here, but I think a lot of it has to do with the culture of the sport. In baseball, teams are often commended for accomplishing a lot based on their resources, i.e. the Athletics or the Twins. Or in college basketball, the mid-major teams like George Mason. But in college football, it's all about being better than someone, getting "respect."

89Hen
August 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, I think this will be the common response to the name change... I did not have a problem with the I-AA name.
100% on target 92. That's why I said it was a STUPID F'ING thing to do. I hate the name change and I think it will hurt more than it will help.

Go...gate
August 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Link to Mr. Douchebag Dodd?