PDA

View Full Version : 3 former I-AA stars among this year's HOF inductees

grizband
August 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Of the 20 players slated for admittance to the college football Hall of Fame for this year's class, 3 of them are former I-AA standouts. Below are their capsules as taken from an AP article (Warning: This thread is longer than I expected)

Kevin Dent Defensive back Jackson State, 1985-88
Had 21 career interceptions. Leader of a defense that helped the Tigers win three consecutive Southwest Athletic Conference championships and post a 27-1 conference record.

John Friesz Quarterback Idaho, 1986-88
Led the nation as a senior in total offense with 350 yards a game. Second nationally in passing efficiency, completing 260 of 425 for 4,041 yards and 31 touchdowns. Was a finalist for the Johnny Unitas Award as the nation's top passer. Ranked fifth when he finished school on the all-time NCAA list with 10,697 yards. He held five collegiate, 18 conference and 24 school records.

Jerry Rice Wide Receiver Mississippi Valley State, 1981-84
Set numerous Division I-AA records, including single-season receptions (103) and receiving yards (1,450). Set school records with 310 career receptions, 4,856 receiving yards and 51 touchdowns. Caught an NCAA record 24 passes against Southern in 1983.

Some others on the list, who also warrant mention, were involved with sub division I football:

Dick Farley Coach Williams, 1987-2003 (D-III)
Had a 114-19-3 record, an .849 winning percentage that is sixth all-time for any college of any size. Never had a losing season. The only coach in Williams history to post a perfect season, accomplishing the feat five times. Went 14-2-1 against rival Amherst. Lost the first three games in 1987, then the Ephs finished the season 4-4 and went another 128 games before suffering back-to-back losses again.

John Gagliardi Coach Carroll College, 1949-52 (NAIA); St. John's University, 1953-present (D-III)
Won his 409th game in 2003 to pass Eddie Robinson as the winningest coach in the history of college football. Has a 432-118-11 record at Carroll College (Mont.) and St. John's University. His 57 coaching seasons tie him with fellow Hall of Famer Amos Alonzo Stagg for most seasons coached. Gagliardi's teams have won four national championships and 27 conference titles. Only two of his teams had losing records, and none since 1967.

Ronnie Mallett Wide Receiver Central Arkansas, 1978-81 (NAIA)
First-team NAIA All-America selection from 1979-81. He finished his career with 2,649 yards receiving and was also a three-time All-Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference selection. First inductee from Central Arkansas.

Vernon "Skip" McCain Coach Maryland State, 1948-63 (D-II)
Led his teams to four Central Intercollegiate Athletic Conference titles and never recorded a losing record. With a career record of 102-21-5, one of only 28 coaches to have a winning percentage greater than .800 among those who have coached at least nine seasons. Led Maryland State to three undefeated seasons and seven seasons of seven wins or more.