PDA

View Full Version : UCA Wants to Avoid TxSt's Footsteps

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Throw in Savannah St as well! There's stories of good and bad moves on up. Obviously, then-Southwest Texas State had a fair share of problems unlike other conference rivals.

Conque knows what needs to happen and says his ballclub needs a solid three-deep to be able to play some Div I football. Conque says all the right things. Very interested to see if him and the Bears can manage to follow all the right steps on the field as well.
---------
For a cautionary tale, the Bears need only look at Southland Conference foe Texas State. The Bobcats won consecutive NCAA Division II national championships in football in 1981 and 1982 before moving to I-AA in 1984. It took them 21 years, until last season, before they qualified for the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

“We don’t want a 25-year curve, but it took Texas State 21 years before they made it to the playoffs,” Conque said. “I think there needs to be some education about the people that we’re playing and the people that we played in the past. These schools are Division I, and they’ve been doing it for a long time.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/163236/

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty impressed with UCA so far. I haven't predicited them getting a lot of wins this season, but I could be wrong. Hard to predict a team you know nothing about (on this level).

Bear Fan 101
August 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
IF...obviously a big IF... we can stay healthy and even develop some depth with the young guys, I think we will have a very successful season.

But really, any team can say if they stay healthy they will have a successful season. But to start off UCA's attitude is in the right place, and as he pointed out at media day the other afternoon, all the kids at UCA want to be at UCA, whether they can win a SLC or National Title in the next 4 years. UCA did not lose 1 player over the spring and summer because UCA would not be able to win a title of any kind for a few years. I think that says a lot about the dedication and attitude right there. Hopefully that translates well into performance now!

Pantherpower
August 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
An exciting future awaits the Bears. One critical hurdle was cleared at the onset by joining a quaility conference in the Southland.