PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League media pick Harvard

bulldog10jw
August 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17029731&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6

-NEW HAVEN — How wide open could the race for the Ivy League football title be this season?

Consider four of the eight teams earned multiple first-place votes in the preseason media poll, which was released at Ivy football media day Tuesday at the Course at Yale.

Harvard was picked to win the league, receiving nine first-place votes. Brown earned three first-place votes, but was picked third behind Penn, which earned two first-place votes. Yale placed fifth, despite two first-place votes (neither from the Register), one slot behind Cornell.

bulldog10jw
August 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Other notes:

The league also released information on its TV package for the season. Yale is involved in two of the three games that will be televised by the YES Network, including the Bulldogs' game vs. Columbia on Oct. 28 and the game at Brown on Nov. 4. Yale is also one of only three teams in the league with a game on CSTV (Sept. 30 at Lafayette) ... Separately from the league package, Yale has games scheduled for Cn8 (Penn, Oct. 21), WFMZ (Lehigh, Oct. 14) and WLVI/WGN (Harvard, Nov. 18) ... The league also has a deal in place with Sirius Satellite Radio to broadcast a game of the week for football and men's basketball, with the schedule to be determined ... Media day also included a discussion of some of the rule changes for the 2006 season. Kicking tees have been shortened - from two inches to one inch - in an effort to generate longer kickoff returns. The most talked-about change, however, was the decision to start the game clock as soon as both teams are positioned on the field (rather than on the snap) after a change in possession. The rule is designed to speed up the game, though it could lead to coaches burning timeouts at the start of drives and fewer plays per game. "It will certainly affect strategy," said Cornell coach Jim Knowles, who chairs the coaches' committee. "It will take plays away from the game." ... Yale's non-league schedule includes Lafayette and Lehigh, who were picked second and third respectively in the Patriot League preseason poll, and San Diego, who won the Pioneer League last year and is the preseason favorite this year ... After reporting on Mon. Aug. 21, the Bulldogs take the field for on-field testing and their first practice on Tue. Aug. 22 at 2:00 p.m.

Lehigh guys. What is WFMZ?

Ivytalk
August 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
That poll must have been taken before the Thomas and O'Hagan suspensions. I don't think Harvard should be picked higher than 3rd this year. This could be another year like '82, when there was a 3-way tie for the title at 5-2. But that's just my :twocents: !

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I was wondering about the timing as well. My vote would've been Harvard, but now it's a tough one.

Pard4Life
August 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM
bulldog - WFMZ is a local TV station in the Lehigh Valley.. channel 69. They mainly broadcast the Lehigh games.

I think it is clear that the poll was taken before the O'Hagan suspension. If not, then I would be quite surprised and suspect alterior motives. But honestly, how is morale effected when your captain and your primary signal caller are suspended? I agree with Ivytalk.. this year's race could be very wide open. Every team has a shot except Columbia.. and maybe Dartmouth (but I admit to not knowing much about Big Green). Heck, even Columbia might take a game or two in this Ivy race.

Surprised to see Yale get two first-place votes and are placed in the bottom half overall... I guess preceptions vary widely on their team this year. How are the Eli's looking bulldog?

Regardless, I don't expect Lafayette to have any easier of a time against H-Y-P and Penn.

bulldog10jw
August 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Surprised to see Yale get two first-place votes and are placed in the bottom half overall... I guess preceptions vary widely on their team this year. How are the Eli's looking bulldog?

Re

I think everything for Yale will come down to QB. Everyone else returns on offense, with the addition of WR Chandler Henley who sat out last year with an injury. The have a couple of good RB's and excellent receivers. The question is, can anybody get the ball to their receivers.

Seven starters return on defense with a couple of good playmakers in
LB's Lee Driftmier and Bobby Abare. If the offense can sustain drives and keep the defense from wearing down, they could have a good year.

Yale's problem for the last few years has been blowing leads. They led San Diego, Lehigh, and Harvard by double digits last year and lost all three. Not getting outcoached in the 2nd half of games would help.

ngineer
August 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Looking forward to our game at the Yale Bowl. Despite our recent run of success, it seems every one of our games with the Eli are tough and close.
So I'm not surprised Yale got a couple first place votes. It's not individual stars but how well the team will work as a unit, and obviously some people may see that in the Bulldogs.:nod:

Pard4Life
August 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I think everything for Yale will come down to QB. Everyone else returns on offense, with the addition of WR Chandler Henley who sat out last year with an injury. The have a couple of good RB's and excellent receivers. The question is, can anybody get the ball to their receivers.

Seven starters return on defense with a couple of good playmakers in
LB's Lee Driftmier and Bobby Abare. If the offense can sustain drives and keep the defense from wearing down, they could have a good year.

Yale's problem for the last few years has been blowing leads. They led San Diego, Lehigh, and Harvard by double digits last year and lost all three. Not getting outcoached in the 2nd half of games would help.

I was checking out the Yale media guide and I was pretty impressed with the publication.

Frankly, I think that Yale could be a 'blue-chip' pick to win the Ivy this year, and I am surprised they did not pick up more votes given what you described and what I read. Your RB is a returning ROY and 2nd-Team Ivy player. Hearing about the QB situation reminds me of Princeton last year. They were tagged sixth mainly because of question marks at QB, and once Terrel stepped up and showed some poise, the Tigers surprised everyone... even though should not have given some of the returning cast. If the Elis can get that QB situation settled, then I think the Pards are going to be in for a very tough game on September 30.

bulldog10jw
August 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I was checking out the Yale media guide and I was pretty impressed with the publication.

Frankly, I think that Yale could be a 'blue-chip' pick to win the Ivy this year, and I am surprised they did not pick up more votes given what you described and what I read. Your RB is a returning ROY and 2nd-Team Ivy player. Hearing about the QB situation reminds me of Princeton last year. They were tagged sixth mainly because of question marks at QB, and once Terrel stepped up and showed some poise, the Tigers surprised everyone... even though should not have given some of the returning cast. If the Elis can get that QB situation settled, then I think the Pards are going to be in for a very tough game on September 30.

It should be a good game. Yale usually has close OOC games, win or lose.

Pard4Life
August 15th, 2006, 08:31 AM
This thought popped to mind last night... but does the Ivy/PL contingent on here notice that the Ivy has been scheduling a fair amount of mid-majors the past few seasons? In other words, the Duqesne, San Diego, Central Connecticut games?

Pure speculation, but this trend might continue in the future, maybe increase? This would be linked with the Patriot League awarding scholarships and becoming even more competitve with top I-AA teams, i.e. a top-notch scholarship Lafayette Colgate Lehigh Fordham going neck and neck with the Montanas and Furmans of the IAA world ever year.

The point is... the PL - Ivy football partnership will be technically 'dead' since the PL graduated from its Ivy clone status of need-based football teams. So... the PL would be 'stronger' than the Ivy. Would the Ivy then use the Pioneer or MAAC as the Patriot League need-based substitute more often in the future? (Of course, there will be Ivy-PL games, but with perhaps less frequency).

bulldog10jw
August 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
This thought popped to mind last night... but does the Ivy/PL contingent on here notice that the Ivy has been scheduling a fair amount of mid-majors the past few seasons? In other words, the Duqesne, San Diego, Central Connecticut games?

Pure speculation, but this trend might continue in the future, maybe increase? This would be linked with the Patriot League awarding scholarships and becoming even more competitve with top I-AA teams, i.e. a top-notch scholarship Lafayette Colgate Lehigh Fordham going neck and neck with the Montanas and Furmans of the IAA world ever year.

The point is... the PL - Ivy football partnership will be technically 'dead' since the PL graduated from its Ivy clone status of need-based football teams. So... the PL would be 'stronger' than the Ivy. Would the Ivy then use the Pioneer or MAAC as the Patriot League need-based substitute more often in the future? (Of course, there will be Ivy-PL games, but with perhaps less frequency).

Just looked at Yale's schedules through 2012. They play either 2 or 3 Patriot teams each year and have no Pioneer or MAAC teams on the scedule. Maybe if the Ivies added an 11th game (HAH!!!) those would be the teams they would schedule

Pard4Life
August 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Just looked at Yale's schedules through 2012. They play either 2 or 3 Patriot teams each year and have no Pioneer or MAAC teams on the scedule. Maybe if the Ivies added an 11th game (HAH!!!) those would be the teams they would schedule

Well there goes that theory :rolleyes:

I am surprised Lafayette has only played Yale home-and-home. Their coach was at Lafayette during the mid-80s under Russo and alongside Tavani. Maybe Tavani and Sidewecki (sp?) don't like each other?

Also found out Murphy coached at Lafayette too under Russo... we have seen them nearly every year under Murphy's tenure.

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM

How about in the season when you play a I-A team, like Army?

A Yale/CCSU game would be great! I'm positive we would come to the Bowl whenever you wanted, no return games ever required. I just can't imagine the administration in New Haven would ever take that game anyway.

IMO - the "mid-major" teams Yale would be most likely to schedule is the ones they have already - Dayton, San Diego and Valpo - then maybe Duquense, Marist, or even Wagner.

bulldog10jw
August 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
How about in the season when you play a I-A team, like Army?

A Yale/CCSU game would be great! I'm positive we would come to the Bowl whenever you wanted, no return games ever required. I just can't imagine the administration in New Haven would ever take that game anyway.

IMO - the "mid-major" teams Yale would be most likely to schedule is the ones they have already - Dayton, San Diego and Valpo - then maybe Duquense, Marist, or even Wagner.

I have no problem with Yale scheduling CCSU. I think it would be great once or twice a decade. Do keep in mind that part of the reason Yale played the teams you mentioned is because of location. It gave a chance for alumni in those areas to go to a game. Ohio and Chicago have been big recruiting areas for Yale traditionally, although with Cozza gone, not as much as they used to be. But I think an in-state game would be great and UConn is obviously out of our class now.

aceinthehole
August 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I have no problem with Yale scheduling CCSU. I think it would be great once or twice a decade. Do keep in mind that part of the reason Yale played the teams you mentioned is because of location. It gave a chance for alumni in those areas to go to a game. Ohio and Chicago have been big recruiting areas for Yale traditionally, although with Cozza gone, not as much as they used to be. But I think an in-state game would be great and UConn is obviously out of our class now.

I agree 100%. CCSU doesn't provide the away game location you desire for alumni.

I think it would be a great honor for us to play at the Bowl, but we wouldn't come close to providing the "rivalry" UConn did because of their larger alumni and non-student following. It would be a more competative game, but not the ticket sales boost you may want. (Although most fans of that game like myself never actually bought tickets but just tailgated for fun!)

I would imagine though we would be a very good "buy" game for Yale. As good or better than anyone else I could think of.

I do think if Yale "needs" a home game, we should be be your first call. :)