PDA

View Full Version : ESPN College Gameday

AppStWill
August 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I have always wondered why ESPN has not picked a I-AA game to broadcast their College Gameday show sometime during the year. I know this may sound rediculous to some people, but there is always an open week throughout the fall where the crew is in studio instead of on campus because there is not a "quality" I-A matchup that week. I think that it would be a great sign of respect for our level of football if ESPN would do that, and I don't think you would see any drop off of TV ratings as a result.

Thoughts?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I think it's great, which probably means that those yutzes over at ESPN will never do it. :p

LacesOut
August 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I know this may sound rediculous to some people, but there is always an open week throughout the fall where the crew is in studio instead of on campus because there is not a "quality" I-A matchup that week. Thoughts?

Yep, to me that sounds rediculous, because, IMO, there is always a quality I-A matchup to be found. Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, PAC 10, many games and matchups to choose from.

AndrewFU21
August 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM
They did do gameday from Grambling State/Southern last year I believe.

Hansel
August 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
They did do gameday from Grambling State/Southern last year I believe.
they also did Penn-Harvard recently

AppStWill
August 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
they also did Penn-Harvard recently

Did they have the crew onsite? I must have missed that.

datruth4u
August 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Here is a quick clip of the game day crew at the Bayou Classic last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR_VqKfT3A

bluehenbillk
August 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Yep, as said before 2 years ago they were at Franklin Field for Harvard-Penn & did a really good job.

lambertjr
August 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
If there's poker to be shown they'll show that instead.:bang:

ASU Kep
August 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I gotta admit, I'd love it if they came for Black Saturday this year.

edit: not that it'll ever happen, though. :(

ucdtim17
August 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
It'd be nice if they did a game because it is 2 top I-AA teams, not because it's Ivy League or HBCU's - it makes I-AA football seem like a novelty act. Those teams certainly can be top teams, but they seem to pick these based on tradition or bands

Mr. C
August 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Isn't ESPN considered a four-letter swear word on AGS by Ralph and the moderators?:D

Going back a few years, I used to enjoy getting up about 9 a.m. on the west coast on a Saturday morning, just in time for the ESPN Ivy League game of the week. It was a nice way to start a day after a grueling and long night of covering prep football on Fridays (those in the business know what I'm talking about).

Retro
August 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
A few years ago in 2002, ESPN was planning on setting up in natchitoches, LA at the Mcneese / NWST game because there were no significant I-A games that weekend...

It was not announced, but the week before Mcneese was #1, NWST #2 in I-AA and provided they were still that way, ESPN was coming..

Unfortunately NWST went to Jacksonsville State and lost and thus the matchup lost it's luster to those outside of I-AA and ESPN went elsewhere

Mr. C
August 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Too bad. Natchitoches is a great place to go for a game (been there twice) and it would have come across real well on TV. The Southland has some of the best home sites in I-AA, with places like Lake Charles, La., among others.

Catmendue2
August 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
: smh : :bawling:
It'd be nice if they did a game because it is 2 top I-AA teams, not because it's Ivy League or HBCU's - it makes I-AA football seem like a novelty act. Those teams certainly can be top teams, but they seem to pick these based on tradition or bandsxcoffeex :smiley_wi

ucdtim17
August 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Not sure I can decipher all those emoticons but I know that sentiment won't be popular with some here

catbob
August 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM
They need to do a Cat/Griz, though it falls on rivalry week I believe.

griz37
August 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
They need to do a Cat/Griz, though it falls on rivalry week I believe.

Your right CatBob, they will never make it to Cat-Griz becasue it is always the same day as games like Michigan-Ohio St.

mikebigg
August 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM
The Bayou Classic is not a novelty act...it is a legit football game with 60K fans in attendance and millions of viewers. Tailgate parties, backyard cookouts, and family gatherings (mixed with jags and Tigers) view this as more than a novelty act. Because of that attendance and popularity, ESPN recognized it as a game that was worthy of coverage...Plain and Simple.

Moving on... It would be good for ESPN to at least give some pregame mention to 1AA matchups! Maybe even some footage of the prior season matchup (if there was one) of the two teams, perhaps some footage of pep rally or coaches interview.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
A few years ago in 2002, ESPN was planning on setting up in natchitoches, LA at the Mcneese / NWST game because there were no significant I-A games that weekend...

It was not announced, but the week before Mcneese was #1, NWST #2 in I-AA and provided they were still that way, ESPN was coming..

Unfortunately NWST went to Jacksonsville State and lost and thus the matchup lost it's luster to those outside of I-AA and ESPN went elsewhere

Unfortunately????? I almost "expected" that to happen.

That's what we get for looking ahead....

again

ucdtim17
August 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
The Bayou Classic is not a novelty act...it is a legit football game with 60K fans in attendance and millions of viewers. Tailgate parties, backyard cookouts, and family gatherings (mixed with jags and Tigers) view this as more than a novelty act. Because of that attendance and popularity, ESPN recognized it as a game that was worthy of coverage...Plain and Simple.

And how often are Grambling and Southern ranked in the top 25? How many national titles are there? How often do they knock off I-A teams? I'm not trying to be a smartass and I'm not an expert on these teams, but I'm guessing the answer to these questions is not often, not often, and not often

GAD
August 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM
And how often are Grambling and Southern ranked in the top 25? How many national titles are there? How often do they knock off I-A teams? I'm not trying to be a smartass and I'm not an expert on these teams, but I'm guessing the answer to these questions is not often, not often, and not often
As far as Southern and Grambling they are ranked in the top 25 pretty regularly the last time they where both ranked in the top 25 when the Bayou Classic was played 2003
National titles these two teams don't go to the I-AA playoffs but,The Icon has 12 or 13 (I forgot) SUperior has 9 and they are recognized by the NCAA
Southern does not play I-A team no need to we fill our own stadium, we have some of the best fans in football(Tulane '01 & 02)
Gram has beat Oregan State

mikebigg
August 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12182&page=8

I had expressed my opinion on the polls in the thread above. But to answer your question, we have been ranked numerous times. Not sure what our final ranking was last year, but at 11-1 it was much lower than justified. Your next question asked how many times we have knocked off 1A teams... in recent years not often, but it has occurred (70's /80's). Did you ask because of your upset of Stanford last year? Congrats on that but we all understand that an occassional win like that can occur...perhaps Grambling will get one soon. Not many 1AA teams (ranked or not) can claim a recent win...so that point is relatively moot. App State just won the 1AA championship...do you think they will defeat the 1A on the schedule? If they lose, will that mean they are not a good program? Then don't hold Grambling and Southern to a standard that others are not held too! As for National Titles, I assume you are talking about via 1AA playoffs. The answer is 0...due in large part to Grambling only participating 3 times and SU never participating. SU's recent success in football started in 1993...since the mid 80's the Playoff's have conflicted with the Bayou Classic (A REGULAR season game that generates approximately $1M to each school).

Hope that answers your question...and I didn't think of you as being a smartass. Just another uninformed 1AA poster.xlolx

ucdtim17
August 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Just another uninformed 1AA poster.xlolx

Well I admitted as much when it comes to these teams. I'm saying it'd be nice if ESPN made an attempt to go to maybe, one of the game of the week games we voted on. A game because it will be a great game between 2 top 25 teams - not one based on history or bands or whatever. Sirius is managing to do it right with their game of the week broadcasts

mikebigg
August 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well I admitted as much when it comes to these teams. I'm saying it'd be nice if ESPN made an attempt to go to maybe, one of the game of the week games we voted on. A game because it will be a great game between 2 top 25 teams - not one based on history or bands or whatever. Sirius is managing to do it right with their game of the week broadcasts

It would be "nice" if ESPN would broadcast a game or two...but trust me, NBC does not broadcast the game to be "nice". They are broadcasting the game due to the 65k attendance over the 25 plus years and the fact that millions of fans tune in and watch the game each year.

That's not a knock on the rest of 1AA, but don't get upset because the Bayou Classic has generated enuff interest to garner NBC coverage and (last year) ESPN Gameday feature. We (Grambling/Southern) are not the enemy...

GAD
August 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
People have to actully be interested in the game outside of the teams immediate fan base, if the two teams have 20K fans between them outside of those 20K its a who cares bowl.

MACHIAVELLI
August 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Why would they choose two top 25 teams? What would they base their selection on?....an internet site with a bunch of homers voting. Not a good solid business plan. Your teams are not as popular as you would like us to believe in the grand scheme of things. College Game did it right in 2005. I do wish they would do more.

HilltopperPride
August 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
It'd be nice if they talked about us at all...

bluedog
August 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM
As I've stated on numerous occasions the Ivy League and the SWAC are two of the most historical and legendary football conferences in America and no other two conferences have done more to affect collegiate sports bar none. This isn't a who likes who but simply historical fact.

The folks at ESPN are business people and in many aspect historians. It's no accident that they picked these two historic conferences first to do their shows.

Retro
August 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
It would be "nice" if ESPN would broadcast a game or two...but trust me, NBC does not broadcast the game to be "nice". They are broadcasting the game due to the 65k attendance over the 25 plus years and the fact that millions of fans tune in and watch the game each year.

That's not a knock on the rest of 1AA, but don't get upset because the Bayou Classic has generated enuff interest to garner NBC coverage and (last year) ESPN Gameday feature. We (Grambling/Southern) are not the enemy...

That may have been true 20 years ago, but no so anymore.. They broadcast it because big sponsors like State Farm step up and sponsor it. If they don't NBC will show something else which is paid for by sponsorsor cost them less. It's about money more than anything nowadays..

MrTitleist
August 13th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Cat/Griz really should be televised on ESPN or at least ESPN2, it's a pretty big game, and I'm sure most of the state of Montana shuts down to watch it or attend. This year would be the perfect year to televise it.. since it'll be a good ol' fashioned Griz whipping of the Cats, while we're at home as a tune-up for the playoffs.

bluedog
August 13th, 2006, 10:44 PM
That may have been true 20 years ago, but no so anymore.. They broadcast it because big sponsors like State Farm step up and sponsor it. If they don't NBC will show something else which is paid for by sponsorsor cost them less. It's about money more than anything nowadays..

That's true of all games that are being broadcast nowadays. The reason that big sponsors step up like AARP, Daimler/Chrysler and State Farm is because of millions of fans interest in that game. So what's your point?

Retro
August 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
That's true of all games that are being broadcast nowadays. The reason that big sponsors step up like AARP, Daimler/Chrysler and State Farm is because of millions of fans interest in that game. So what's your point?

My point is in response the post i quoted, that it's not because of 65,000+ attendance as much as it is because a sponsor picks up the tab. Get it now?:rolleyes:

GAD
August 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
NBC came first State Farm came a few years later.

89Hen
August 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
National titles... The Icon has 12 or 13 (I forgot) SUperior has 9 and they are recognized by the NCAA
:confused:

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

Jag4Life
August 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

BLUE TIGER
August 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Yes its sad and I'm just glad JSU is going in the other direction. Coach Comegy wants a third National Championship to add to his collection, but on the D-1AA level.

ucdtim17
August 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM

I said it wasn't popular with some - I'd like to see CP @ Montana, ASU @ GSU, UNH @ UD, JMU @ ASU, UCD @ YSU, etc etc etc - these games should be on TV

MACHIAVELLI
August 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yes its sad and I'm just glad JSU is going in the other direction. Coach Comegy wants a third National Championship to add to his collection, but on the D-1AA level.

baby steps....get to .500 then compete for SWAC East title first

Marcus Garvey
August 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM
If ESPN is going to visit a I-AA campus,they'll pick a match up with "marquee names," that the average college football fans would recognize. For I-AA, that pretty much limits the choices to Ivy Leage teams (and not all of them mind you) and a handfull of the HBCU's.
Lehigh-Lafayette is a possibility for some significant number (say 150), but that's the same weekend as a bunch of other games such as Mich-Ohio St., Fla-FSU and (usually) Oregon-Oregon St.

Gameday is about ratings, not picking a significant matchup. So, App St.-Furman, Montana/Montana St., and UNI/WIU will NEVER happen.

Frankly, Amherst-Williams stands a better chance of having the Gameday crew than most of I-AA.

bluedog
August 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
My point is in response the post i quoted, that it's not because of 65,000+ attendance as much as it is because a sponsor picks up the tab. Get it now?:rolleyes:

The History of the Bayou Classic (http://www.statefarmbayouclassic.com/history_theevent.shtml)

Unquestionably the most colorful manifestation in the annals of Black College Football, the annual gridiron clash between Louisiana rivals Southern and Grambling State, affectionately known to the world as the State Farm Bayou Classic, has become one of the most anticipated events in the nation.
This event is an exhibition of the high standards of academic achievement deeply embedded in the traditions of the two institutions. The State Farm Bayou Classic is more than just a football game. It is a unique family fellowship that exists within a football game, which has become in its colorful and glorified history, the greatest, most distinguishable sporting event in all of Black America.
The gridiron match-up between Southern University and Grambling State University, two great Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) rivals, represents the best that collegiate sports have to offer: teamwork, tradition, passion and fierce competition.
The first ever Bayou Classic was played in New Orleans' Tulane Stadium in 1974. There were 76,753 fans in attendance to witness the birth of a unique and treasured pastime. Grambling defeated SU in that contest, 21-0. Southern leads the series 16-14, and Southern University posted an eight-game winning streak that ended in 2001 (the longest in the Bayou Classic Series).
With the game's expansion over the years from Tulane Stadium to the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, LA, the State Farm Bayou Classic, including over 200,000 fans who descend upon the city to take part in the festivities, pumps more than $30 million into the New Orleans economy, annually. From the excitement of a sensational football competition, crowd favorite Battle of the Bands, to the gospel brunch, the event seeks to serve each and every one of its patrons, while assisting future graduates of higher education in locating postgraduate work via the State Farm Bayou Classic Super Job Fair.
State Farm enters its tenth year as title sponsor of the Classic, which only serves to reiterate the pleasure, pride and continued growth of Black College Football's most legendary event.

Bayou Classic Attendance Results

1974 Grambling 76,753
1975 Grambling 73,214
1976 Grambling 76,188
1977 Grambling 68,518
1978 Grambling 72,000
1979 Grambling 67,500
1980 Southern 75,000
1981 Grambling 67,500
1982 Southern 71,555
1983 Southern 58,199
1984 Grambling 51,752
1985 Grambling 57,041
1986 Grambling 58,960
1987 Grambling 55,783
1988 Southern 55,450
1989 Southern 64,333
1990 Grambling 70,600
1991 Grambling 62,891
1992 Southern 71,282
1993 Grambling 72,586
1994 Southern 66,641
1995 Southern 67,361
1996 Southern 71,586
1997 Southern 64,500
1998 Southern 60,986
1999 Southern 67,641
2000 Southern 72,000
2001 Southern 67,345
2002 Grambling 72,586
2003 Southern 70,151
2004 Southern 68,911
2005 Grambling 53,214

Yeah you're right 21 yrs. of the best attendance in collegiate football any in America had nothing to do with it. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

ucdtim17
August 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
If ESPN is going to visit a I-AA campus,they'll pick a match up with "marquee names," that the average college football fans would recognize. For I-AA, that pretty much limits the choices to Ivy Leage teams (and not all of them mind you) and a handfull of the HBCU's.
Lehigh-Lafayette is a possibility for some significant number (say 150), but that's the same weekend as a bunch of other games such as Mich-Ohio St., Fla-FSU and (usually) Oregon-Oregon St.

Gameday is about ratings, not picking a significant matchup. So, App St.-Furman, Montana/Montana St., and UNI/WIU will NEVER happen.

Frankly, Amherst-Williams stands a better chance of having the Gameday crew than most of I-AA.

I'm not necessarily talking about Gameday, just broadcasts on national channels like ESPNU, CSTV, ESPN2, etc

Jag4Life
August 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I said it wasn't popular with some - I'd like to see CP @ Montana, ASU @ GSU, UNH @ UD, JMU @ ASU, UCD @ YSU, etc etc etc - these games should be on TV
Still : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Retro
August 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah you're right 21 yrs. of the best attendance in collegiate football any in America had nothing to do with it

I didn't say that attendance didn't have anything to do with it.. I said the reason the game is on National TV of recent is likely more due to the fact that State Farm picks up the tab. If there was no title sponsor, NBC would've likely looked at something more profitable like another I-A game or other sport.. That's all! Next time read the whole thread and get over yourself.:bang:

McNeese75
August 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I thought this thread was about College Gameday not the friggin Bayou Classic.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Just for you Jag :D

bluedog
August 15th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I thought this thread was about College Gameday not the friggin Bayou Classic.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Just for you Jag :D

Well as usual somebody that supposedly doesn't watch the BC makes it so.

Don't forget to turn off the lights and thank you for your support. ;) :hurray:

bluedog
August 15th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I didn't say that attendance didn't have anything to do with it.. I said the reason the game is on National TV of recent is likely more due to the fact that State Farm picks up the tab. If there was no title sponsor, NBC would've likely looked at something more profitable like another I-A game or other sport.. That's all! Next time read the whole thread and get over yourself.:bang:

My point is in response the post i quoted, that it's not because of 65,000+ attendance as much as it is because a sponsor picks up the tab. Get it now? :rolleyes:

Umm don't look now but the BC has been broadcast long before State Farm became a Title sponsor. Get it? I doubt it. xidiotx

Here a brain teaser, if all those other D-iaa games are so much more appealing, why is it there aren't any Title sponsors lining up to broadcast them on National TV?

McNeese75
August 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Well as usual somebody that supposedly doesn't watch the BC makes it so.

Don't forget to turn off the lights and thank you for your support. ;) :hurray:

Good post dog, Makes about as much sense as most of your others xidiotx

bluedog
August 15th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Ahhh here comes the calvary girls. xcoffeex