PDA

View Full Version : Year 5 should be make it or break it for Huesman

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Huesman has made Chattanooga football competitive. Sometimes competitive is frustrating. Chattanooga has led or been tied in the 4TH quarter every game but 1 over the last 3 years. There have been collosal collapses,epic comebacks fallen shirt, and 4quarter fist fights. The only common theme here is the loser. The mocs can make clutch plays as long as it isnt to actually win the game. When the mocs win they do so convincingly. Huesman is 2-10 against southern asu and woffords. 6 of the 10 were by 2 or less or in overtime. Now Huesman will bring back 19 offensive and defensive starters. Its soscon title or go back to coaching defense. Of course John Shulman is still the basketball coach after successfuling running the best basketball program in socon history into the ground.

but hey. the girls basketball team thumped the lady vols last noght. oh wait... i like the lady vols.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
If there are no big offseason changes, the SoCon will be very competitive especially from Samford, chatty, and el CID.

walliver
November 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I think that having his son at QB will not end well. I don't think he is that good, and having the coaches son as starting QB will make it very difficult to recruit QB's for the next 2 years.

gsu_paintballer
November 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM
The younger Huesman is a good QB.

The elder Huesman is not really that good of a coach. That's why UTC loses so many close games.

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I think that having his son at QB will not end well. I don't think he is that good, and having the coaches son as starting QB will make it very difficult to recruit QB's for the next 2 years.

A nominee for the Jerry Rice award? Yeah, you're right, he ain't that good.

As for not being able to recruit QB's, well, strike two on your logic...

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2012/jul/31/lovejoy-qb-commits-utc/

As chattownmocs would say..."cool story bro"

blueballs
November 11th, 2012, 08:26 AM
There are two teams in the SoCon who have absolutely killed themselves with special teams play this year.

With just average to slightly below average special teams one would be undefeated and one would be a lock for the playoffs. I'll let y'all figure which is which...

Chatty will be tough to deal with next year no doubt. Eventually they'll win one of these tight games and gain the confidence to put them on the next level. They'll definitely be a playoff contender next year.

Skyhawk71
November 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
A historical day for the UT System (Bad Day): UTK 48 Mizzou 51 (4OT); UTC 13 Wofford 16 (OT); UTM 44 TN Tech 45 (OT)- just wanted to point out this probably has never happened before- I hope UTC works it out next year, at least they will open with a W over little brother from Martin, in a "start over" year for the Hawks, the Hawks do not rebuild nor do they reload..........

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Chattmocs, next year they have to atleast make the playoffs, no excuses, unfortunately App will be loaded next year and should compete for the NC, I don't know how good Wofford, or GS will be

CID1990
November 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Huesman has made Chattanooga football competitive.

Huh?

Competitive is hardly Masters of the Universe.

Why the change in outlook? You go back on your meds?

CID1990
November 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Chattmocs, next year they have to atleast make the playoffs, no excuses, unfortunately App will be loaded next year and should compete for the NC, I don't know how good Wofford, or GS will be

Touchdown Citadel!!

Saint3333
November 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I expect a young App team to be better next year and we get UTC at home.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 11th, 2012, 09:33 AM
We'll gladly take Russ back as DC whenever you decide you don't want him anymore.

paward
November 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
We'll gladly take Russ back as DC whenever you decide you don't want him anymore.
What he said! Can we have Coach Healy back too? Disclaimer, we also want to keep DC we have now as well.

walliver
November 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I doubt Huesman is on the hot seat unless he takes the team backwards. Considering the Mocs previous coaches, winless years in conference, and battling VMI and WCU for the cellar, it would be unwise for UTC to try and replace him. The team is at least respectable, and would probably run the table in the Big South and finish at the top of the OVC.

There is a problem with the Mocs and big games. Last years 28-27 trifecta and this year's 2 OT losses stand out (you'd think they'd get a lucky bounce every now and then).

Mr. C
November 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
UTC has a chance to have three consecutive winning seasons in a row since the mid-1980s with a win on Saturday. That is pretty impressive when you consider where the program was when Huesman took over. He just has to figure out how to win close games to get the Mocs to the playoffs.

chattanoogamocs
November 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM
UTC has a chance to have three consecutive winning seasons in a row since the mid-1980s with a win on Saturday. That is pretty impressive when you consider where the program was when Huesman took over. He just has to figure out how to win close games to get the Mocs to the playoffs.

They were 5-6 last year.

...but they do have the chance to have a winning season 3 out of the last 4 years, which as you stated, hasn't happened since the 1980's. 1984-1987 to be exact (1985 was the end of 10 consecutive winning seasons, 1986 they dipped to 4-7 and then went 6-5 in 1988). Wow, I started UTC in 1987, so they haven't been this "good" since I was in high school...I am now 43.

And if anyone needs reminding of how bad UTC was when Huesman took over, think about where WCU has been the last couple of seasons and there ya go (and ask yourself if people would be questioning Speir coaching ability if he had gotten WCU to the three over .500 seasons by year four of their "turnaround"...and WCU doesn't have nearly the academic issues UTC had when Huesman took over)

chattownmocs
November 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
They were 5-6 last year.

...but they do have the chance to have a winning season 3 out of the last 4 years, which as you stated, hasn't happened since the 1980's. 1984-1987 to be exact (1985 was the end of 10 consecutive winning seasons, 1986 they dipped to 4-7 and then went 6-5 in 1988). Wow, I started UTC in 1987, so they haven't been this "good" since I was in high school...I am now 43.

And if anyone needs reminding of how bad UTC was when Huesman took over, think about where WCU has been the last couple of seasons and there ya go (and ask yourself if people would be questioning Speir coaching ability if he had gotten WCU to the three over .500 seasons by year four of their "turnaround"...and WCU doesn't have nearly the academic issues UTC had when Huesman took over)

Restore the glory to me means southern conference championships not .500. Huesman has built a good football team. Too good to be happy with .500.

gsu_paintballer
November 11th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Touchdown Citadel!!

Sunday - September 16, 2012 - THE Citadel is in the driver's seat to win the conference
Sunday - November 11, 2012 - THE Citadel is in sixth place.

Eagle22
November 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM

The entire SoCon is young. This was the year to beat ASU, GSU and Furman, and UTC won just one of those three. ASU should be the preseason favorite next year, IMO.

I think this year was the one UTC needed to make that next move upward.

Elon has 50+ redshirt freshmen and true freshmen on their roster, El Cid/ASU/GSU/Furman all have young cores to their team. WCU is still Western, but they were better this year with Speir than the past few under Wagner.

Of all the league teams, I think the only one next year that won't be better will be Samford, and that's just personal opinion. I assume they plan on playing Carson Barnett at QB next season, but they have no real depth there and I frankly think he'll struggle in the SoCon (I watched him play quite a few times @ Landmark Christian), at least next year.

I also don't have a very good read on how Wofford will be next year, but know they lose a couple of good players. They'll be tough on gameday independent of what their final record ends up at.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sunday - September 16, 2012 - THE Citadel is in the driver's seat to win the conference

xlolx

alvinkayak6
November 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM
And so is a player from Valpo apparently: Jake Huston
xlolx

A nominee for the Jerry Rice award? Yeah, you're right, he ain't that good.

As for not being able to recruit QB's, well, strike two on your logic...

http://www.news-daily.com/news/2012/jul/31/lovejoy-qb-commits-utc/

As chattownmocs would say..."cool story bro"

alvinkayak6
November 12th, 2012, 06:02 PM

They (Georgia Southern) have Dominique Swope who is one the best young backs in the nation.

utcfan
November 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Huesman has made Chattanooga football competitive. Sometimes competitive is frustrating. Chattanooga has led or been tied in the 4TH quarter every game but 1 over the last 3 years. There have been collosal collapses,epic comebacks fallen shirt, and 4quarter fist fights. The only common theme here is the loser. The mocs can make clutch plays as long as it isnt to actually win the game. When the mocs win they do so convincingly. Huesman is 2-10 against southern asu and woffords. 6 of the 10 were by 2 or less or in overtime. Now Huesman will bring back 19 offensive and defensive starters. Its soscon title or go back to coaching defense. Of course John Shulman is still the basketball coach after successfuling running the best basketball program in socon history into the ground.

but hey. the girls basketball team thumped the lady vols last noght. oh wait... i like the lady vols.

Playoffs should be expected. SoCon Championship or fired, I don't think so.

CID1990
November 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Settle down, sweetheart. Don't be so sensitive.

That wasnt for you, anyway.

chattanoogamocs
November 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM
And so is a player from Valpo apparently: Jake Huston
xlolx

yeah, and some kid from App, but he ain't any nuthin special either ;)

Hey look, the "not that good daddy's boy" just got another Freshman of the Week award...
http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205735022&DB_OEM_ID=17700

Huesman is just the third UTC freshman to earn three weekly honors from the SoCon, joining Terrell Robinson (2011) and James Roberts (1989).

Huesman completed a season-high 22 passes for 229 yards as Chattanooga lost at No. 13 Wofford in overtime, 16-13. Huesman completed nine of 10 passes for 90 yards on third down and converted them into seven first downs. The Chattanooga, Tenn., native added 68 yards rushing on 24 carries and caught one pass for five yards.

Huesman has already set a UTC freshman record for pass completions (154) and attempts (231). He needs 166 yards to break the rookie record for passing yards, set by Kenyon Earl (1,643) in 1991. His 11 TD passes are also two shy of Earl's freshman record. Huesman leads all SoCon freshman in rushing (79.5 yds/game), rushing TDs (6), pass efficiency (131.8), passing TDs (11) and is third in the league overall in total offense (227.3 yds/game).

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Jacob Huesman 10 174 972 177 795 4.6 6 62 79.5

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Jacob Huesman 10 131.8 154-231-5 66.7 1478 11 44 147.8

seantaylor
November 13th, 2012, 01:12 AM
They (Georgia Southern) have Dominique Swope who is one the best young backs in the nation.

And Jerick McKinnon, Zach Walker, Robert Brown, Johnathan Bryant, Kentrellis Showers, and every starting offensive lineman. We lose nothing on offense, really. D has to replace 66, but we should be much deeper next season on that side of the ball.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
The entire SoCon is young. This was the year to beat ASU, GSU and Furman, and UTC won just one of those three. ASU should be the preseason favorite next year, IMO.

I think this year was the one UTC needed to make that next move upward.

Elon has 50+ redshirt freshmen and true freshmen on their roster, El Cid/ASU/GSU/Furman all have young cores to their team. WCU is still Western, but they were better this year with Speir than the past few under Wagner.

Of all the league teams, I think the only one next year that won't be better will be Samford, and that's just personal opinion. I assume they plan on playing Carson Barnett at QB next season, but they have no real depth there and I frankly think he'll struggle in the SoCon (I watched him play quite a few times @ Landmark Christian), at least next year.

I also don't have a very good read on how Wofford will be next year, but know they lose a couple of good players. They'll be tough on gameday independent of what their final record ends up at.

I agree with that. I think Furman, GSU, and ASU will all be better next season. Wofford has, historically, backed up great seasons by two or three mediocre ones, and it will be difficult to replace the conference's best running back. Elon may take another step back simply because Mallettes aren't growing on trees out there (but, to be fair, I thought the same thing when Hudgins graduated).

Husemann's biggest problem, in my view, is he is now four years into his tenure and I still don't feel the Mocs have any identity. The talent on the roster is obvious, but I cannot tell what they are trying to do on offense. Furman has an inferior record, but you at least can tell immediately in year two of Bruce Fowler what they are trying to be out there. UTC reminds me of the Paladin teams in the last couple years of before Fowler arrived. Good talent on the field but the coaches can't get out of their own way to really utilize what is out there.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM
And Jerick McKinnon, Zach Walker, Robert Brown, Johnathan Bryant, Kentrellis Showers, and every starting offensive lineman. We lose nothing on offense, really. D has to replace 66, but we should be much deeper next season on that side of the ball.

Russell is a major loss. Russell is the best defensive tackle, IMO, the SoCon has seen since Katon Bethay at Wofford. There may be depth there, but you simply do not replace a guy like that.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Unfortunately, Brown's career is probably done. He can only have one more concussion and he's been plagued by injuries since the 2010 Coastal Carolina game.

As to the OP, I'm thinking UTC's path will be much easier in the future as App St and GSU will no longer be in the SoCon.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Apps biggest problem is we have got to find a starting qb after Jackson graduates next year, the recieving corp is set for the next 3 years, probably the best in the country, but if we cant find a dependable starter, its not going to matter. Got to find a strong armed qb who can get the ball down field.