PDA

View Full Version : Rule Change Help I-AA vs I-A.

Cocky
August 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Will this change take away some of the depth advantage I-A teams have on I-AA teams? It seems in the past the I-AA team plays real close for 3 quarters and runs out of steam in the 4th quarter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2544174

August 10th, 2006, 09:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2544174
According to Rule 3-2-5, the game clock will start as soon as the ball is kicked in a kickoff situation. Previously, the clock would only start once the receiving team touched the ball. In addition, Rule 3-2-5-e states that, after a team gets a first down, the clock will begin running again on the ready-for-play signal. Previously, the clock did not resume until the team snapped the ball.yawn.

Mr. C
August 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I doubt that this will have much impact on I-AA vs I-A games. Shortening the game a few plays won't do much, unless a team is trying to make a last-minute comeback. Personally, I don't like the new rule. Why screw around with something that already works well.

MO-State JK
August 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
It seems like this is just another way to make it harder for teams to score the last few minutes of a close game. It's always been great to see a good team that's down execute late with no timeouts.

blukeys
August 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I doubt that this will have much impact on I-AA vs I-A games. Shortening the game a few plays won't do much, unless a team is trying to make a last-minute comeback. Personally, I don't like the new rule. Why screw around with something that already works well.

I don't like the new rule as well. College football games are running longer due to more passing. Well Duh??!!!, the Ncaa has had a decade's worth of rule changes designed to encourage more passing. Offensive Linemen can now hold with impunity. If the current rules were available 20 years ago the Captain would have had a non stop dancefest with the GSU D-Linemen and UNI would have had no QB sacks.

So the NCAA wants faster games fine. Change the rules back to about 1993. Teams will be forced to run more and the games will go faster.

BTW fewer TV timeouts would really speed up the games!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

ucdtim17
August 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I don't anyone who likes the new rules - no one is complaining there's too much football. The obvious solution is to limit/eliminate TV timeouts

superbrett2000
August 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM
The obvious solution is to limit/eliminate TV timeouts

One would think so. If anything, the few minutes lost will probalby be taken up by an additional set of commercials.

walliver
August 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I don't anyone who likes the new rules - no one is complaining there's too much football. The obvious solution is to limit/eliminate TV timeouts

Unfortunately, the only practical way to accomplish that is to eliminate I-AA TV and reduce the payouts to the BCS boys (I don't see that happening).

Ronbo
August 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
It won't help us. By the time the fouth quarter rolls around against Iowa we'll be down by 5-6 TD's.

Cocky
August 11th, 2006, 12:52 PM
It won't help us. By the time the fouth quarter rolls around against Iowa we'll be down by 5-6 TD's.

No way Montana loses by 40. Iowa will be extremely lucky to win by 20.

bluehenbillk
August 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM
No way Montana loses by 40. Iowa will be extremely lucky to win by 20.

I'll take Iowa (-20) against anyone who wants, lemme know your price.

Grizzaholic
August 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I will take that bet.....say $20.00

Grizzaholic
August 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
On second thought, how about a GRIZ pull over?