PDA

View Full Version : Does South Dakota State get a seed?

Jacked_Rabbit
November 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Assuming the Jackrabbits win at home against MVFC bottom-feeder USD in the final week of the regular season, does an upset victory at NDSU this weekend assure the Jacks of a playoff seed and first round bye? I understand that beating the Bison in Fargo will be a daunting task, but I'm simply speaking hypothetically. If this long-shot came to fruition, SDSU would win the Missouri Valley outright with a 9-2 record and earn the Missouri Valley AQ bid.

Since South Dakota State is currently only ranked in the 15-18 range, so how low can a team be ranked and still earn one of the Top 5 seeds? I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on how you think this would play out.

asucrutch23
November 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I think you have a great shot assuming victories over NDSU and USD. The AQ of the strongest league has to deserve consideration and I don't know if I could name 5 teams who would have better resumes.

Engineer86
November 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Win those two games you deserve a seed

ursus arctos horribilis
November 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Winning out is very likely to give at least a 2 or a 3 seed in my mind.

Appattk
November 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Got to win 2 to get the seed...

Laker
November 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM
If SDSU wins both of those games, then yes, they would.

If they lose, they will have to go to Baltic to get their seed. Or I could get some for them- Olivia, MN is about 17 miles away- they have a dealer there.

http://www.heftyseed.com/hefty-seed-company-baltic-sd/
:D

Jacked_Rabbit
November 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I must say, I'm somewhat surprised by the consensus. Can't imagine we'd be able to jump high enough in the polls to make this a no-brainer. A win over NDSU maybe gets SDSU from #17 to #10, if we're lucky...

Odds are, we'll lose to NDSU this weekend and it all becomes a moot point, but I guess this just goes to show how much is riding on this one game for the Jacks.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I must say, I'm somewhat surprised by the consensus. Can't imagine we'd be able to jump high enough in the polls to make this a no-brainer. A win over NDSU maybe gets SDSU from #17 to #10, if we're lucky...

Odds are, we'll lose to NDSU this weekend and it all becomes a moot point, but I guess this just goes to show how much is riding on this one game for the Jacks.

The selection committee does not use any of the polls that are out there. They don't mean anything until they start looking at the teams outside the top 12 or so to simply have a little more input or to verify what they believe. They have their own ranking and the AQ from a power conference is almost always in that top 4. You win those last two there is almost no way I could see them not having you in there no matter what any poll or anything says.

344Johnson
November 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I'd say they are worthy with a W @ NDSU. That loss to UNI though really could bite them if they lose to the Bison. If they had beat UNI, then SDSU could say they didn't lose a single game they should have won based on record, with losses to only at #1 NDSU and at FBS Kansas. They'd have also tied NDSU for a conference championship and dang, that'd be tough to not give some very good consideration to one would imagine.

Southern Bison
November 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Considering they're #9 in the GPI right now...a win at USD probably wouldn't change their spot. A win at NDSU (albeit very doubtful) would move them up in the GPI and clinch the MVFC Championship and that would give them a top 5 seed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Finish 9-2 and SDSU will probably get a seed.

An 8-3 SDSU team will have a home game then probably on the road after that.