PDA

View Full Version : Umass to add three more 1A transfers

saint0917
August 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I posted the whole article because you have to sign up to view it.

AMHERST -- The University of Massachusetts football coaches were still trying to add players for the 2006 season as tonight's first practice approaches.

The Minutemen are hoping to officially add three more Division I-A transfers to the roster today -- quarterback Joe Sanford (Virginia), offensive lineman Heath Heekin (UNLV) and defensive back Courtney Robinson (Connecticut). The trio have each committed to UMass, but still need to hurdle some administrative red tape before they can officially join the team.

NCAA rules prohibit UMass coach Don Brown from discussing any player until he is officially added to the roster. Their additions would give the Minutemen 14 former I-A players, including four from UConn.

While offensive line depth was a problem for UMass last year, Heekin could help make it a strength. The 6-foot-3, 325-pound Riverside, Calif., native played at Riverside Community College before transferring to UNLV. He redshirted at UNLV and will be a junior at UMass.

Robinson, a 6-foot defensive back from Delray Beach, Fla., played in all 11 games as a true freshman for the Huskies last year, mostly on special teams. He has three years of eligibility remaining. Robinson would likely play special teams and compete for time at cornerback.

Sanford, who redshirted at Virginia in 2005, has four years of eligibility remaining. He is expected to compete with fellow redshirt freshman Scott Woodward to be the team's No. 2 quarterback behind returning starter Liam Coen.

CAMP BEGINS -- Brown was looking forward to the beginning of practice, which starts tonight at 8:30.

''You always get a little excited with the new kids coming in,'' Brown said. ''Seeing where they're going to fall into place and who's going to have the wide eyes.''

Brown has a good feel for his depth chart, but said no spots were 100 percent set.

''Because we have what I'd consider a deep depth chart, it creates competition between those positions for even the slightest movement,'' he said. ''Is one guy going to have had a great summer where he leapfrogs the guy that was in front of him? You have to be careful about cementing your depth chart because you limit competition, which is not what this program is all about.''

Tribefan
August 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
UMass has become the home for UConn players who can't reach the top of the depth chart. Courtney Robinson BTW, is a damn good CB from Florida. When Charlie Weis took over ND he tried to get Robinson late in the recruiting season but Robinson stuck with UConn. He saw plenty of action last season and had some good plays against Louisville.