PDA

View Full Version : FAMU Trustee: Interim Coach May Be Best For Now

superman7515
November 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Chairman of the BOT feels it could be a year or two before FAMU hires a full-time head coach and that the President should only appoint an interim coach until a new President is found who can hire his own coach... xchinscratchx

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20121106/FAMU03/311050034/FAMU-trustee-Interim-coach-may-best-now

But the next full-time coach might not be in place until just before the season starts next year or even later. Badger said he would recommend an interim coach because the next head coach should be hired by the new president of the university and it could be as late as July before that decision is made.

“I think it’s the right thing to do but if it does not come through in time there is enough there to ensure that we don’t suffer (in recruiting) from not having a (head) coach in place,” Badger said.

LeopardBall10
November 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Wow, how little administration gets football... Not to mention the coaching profession specifically. I don't know what coach would want to take over a program late in July when he would not have the ability to recruit his own players or hire his own staff for at least a full season. And when that season is over he looks like an executioner when he fires the staff he had to work with for a year.

While I commend the president's intentions, this could cause issues.

superman7515
November 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
It's not the President's intentions, they have an interim President. The head of the Board of Trustees is speculating it may not be until summer before they get a new full-time President and that no coach should be hired before then, except maybe an interim President for a year or two to carry the program forward until the new Pres can get around to it.

DFW HOYA
November 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Let the athletic director hire coaches.

superman7515
November 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Talk to some HBCU fans, they don't let that happen. The typical response is it is because of the ego's of the Presidents, they are very heavy handed when it comes to athletics and football in particular. The AD's rarely have as much say as you would expect over athletics.

WileECoyote06
November 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
They will hire a coach if Connell Maynor becomes available. xcoffeex