PDA

View Full Version : Harvard QB Suspended

carney2
August 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Harvard quarterback Liam O'Hagan became the second high-profile Crimson player to be suspended from the football team when coach Tim Murphy announced yesterday that O'Hagan would miss five games for violating team rules.
-- Boston Globe

I was never good at things mathematical, but "five games" looks like

9/16 Holy Cross
9/23 Brown
9/30 Lehigh
10/7 Cornell
10/14 Lafayette

O'Hagan is key to Harvard's prospects.

Cap'n Cat
August 9th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Harvard quarterback Liam O'Hagan became the second high-profile Crimson player to be suspended from the football team when coach Tim Murphy announced yesterday that O'Hagan would miss five games for violating team rules.
-- Boston Globe

9/16 Holy Cross
9/23 Brown
9/30 Lehigh
10/7 Cornell
9/14 Lafayette

Jeezus. WTF'd he do?

TheTribeHasSpoken
August 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Jeezus. WTF'd he do?He forgot to do his Summer reading?

Ivytalk
August 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I don't want to speculate on what O'Hagan did, but Coach Murphy is the ultimate straight shooter and is widely respected. If it was bad enough to warrant a 5-game suspension, I trust Murph's judgment. If the team record suffers, so be it. I sense that Harvard has a couple of other QBs who can step in.

carney2
August 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I sense that Harvard has a couple of other QBs who can step in.

Probably so. O'Hagan followed Fitzgerald, so there appears to be something of a QB dynasty emerging in Cambridge.

On the bright side for Crimson fans, O'Hagan will only miss two league games, both of which may be winnable with a sub handing off to Clifton Dawson.

The season's prospects got a little brighter for both Lehigh and Lafayette, however. This was penciled in as a tough game for both of them. I do not see Harvard now being favored against either after these suspensions, particularly when you consider that both games will be played immediately after each PL opponent has a "bye" week.

Ivytalk
August 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Probably so. O'Hagan followed Fitzgerald, so there appears to be something of a QB dynasty emerging in Cambridge.

On the bright side for Crimson fans, O'Hagan will only miss two league games, both of which may be winnable with a sub handing off to Clifton Dawson.

The season's prospects got a little brighter for both Lehigh and Lafayette, however. This was penciled in as a tough game for both of them. I do not see Harvard now being favored against either after these suspensions, particularly when you consider that both games will be played immediately after each PL opponent has a "bye" week.

It will certainly be a more challenging first half for the Crimson. Brown and Cornell are always tough games for us. We'll be a "road dog" at Lehigh with or without O'Hagan, and Lafayette may now be a slight favorite in its game.

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
So, how does this work. When someone is suspended are they suspended just for the games and are still allowed to practice. Or are they suspended from everything football related. When I was in high school and players were suspended, they could not even practice. They did laps while everyone else practiced. Just curious about how team imposed suspensions work.

Pard4Life
August 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Wow... this is major news... can't imagine what he did... I'd guess alcohol...

Although one would think the Harvard game will become a W, don't believe it one bit. First of all, Dawson is still in Payton Award form. And, Harvard has a habit of producing stellar QBs, as mentioned above. I remember thinking in 2003 when their starter went down (I am guessing Fitzpatrick) their backup stepped in (or was it Neil Rose and Fitzpatrick the 2nd string?) and torched the Pards. This was also a break-out game for Dawson. I've learned never to count out the Crimson... but it does increase our chances of winning microscopically though.

henfan
August 9th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Regards to Murphy for sticking to his guns. As we at Delaware have found recently, what matters most isn't the problem itself, but how the coaches and school respond to them. I'm sure it would have been made Murphy's job much easier in the short term to simply look the other way. It's no small deal to suspend your starting QB when you're fighting for an Ivy title.

:bow:

Husky Alum
August 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Alcohol? I don't think you lose half a season for booze. The clip said he violated team rules which is somewhat interesting as it would appear he didn't break any university rules.

Hey bulldog, if you got suspended in HS and couldn't practice, did the kids at MHS just hang out at the Duck Pond or Paul's or something? (inside joke, we're from the same hometown)

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Hey bulldog, if you got suspended in HS and couldn't practice, did the kids at MHS just hang out at the Duck Pond or Paul's or something? (inside joke, we're from the same hometown)

They were more likely to go to "The 7 Seas" or "Jakes". Why do you think they got suspended in the first place.xlolx

Tod
August 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM
-- Boston Globe

9/16 Holy Cross
9/23 Brown
9/30 Lehigh
10/7 Cornell
10/14 Lafayette

Anyone Irish ever go to Harvard?

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Not sure what the QB did but there's been a rash of problems at Harvard this off-season - they also will lose their captain as well for a period of time per the following article, and he was the 5th player involved in incidents during the off-season (6th now with the QB).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/07/28/harvard/index.html

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone Irish ever go to Harvard?

Er, aahh, the Kennedys??:D

ngineer
August 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Tough news Ivy--you still planning on coming to Goodman? Gotta respect a coach who enforces the rules regardless of the violator--starter to benchwarmer.;)

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Tough news Ivy--you still planning on coming to Goodman? Gotta respect a coach who enforces the rules regardless of the violator--starter to benchwarmer.;)

Yes, I am!:nod: It will just make the upset all the sweeter if we can pull it off!

ngineer
August 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, I am!:nod: It will just make the upset all the sweeter if we can pull it off!

If you're travelling alone, I may have an extra ticket. Depends on whether my mother decides to travel up with my Dad, who always attends. I'll also give you info later as to our tailgating plans--menu is in the planning stages by our maitre d'...;)

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM
If I was O'Hagan, I'd transfer to the "D-II Harvard Of The South", U of Missouri-Rolla.

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
If I was O'Hagan, I'd transfer to the "D-II Harvard Of The South", U of Missouri-Rolla.

Do they have hot chicks??:p :D

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Do they have hot chicks??:p :D

Somewhat.........

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/27.jpg

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/47.jpg

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/50.jpg

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Somewhat.........

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/27.jpg

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/47.jpg

http://web.umr.edu/~cheer/gallery/50.jpg

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Nice, but UNI's are better!:D

Do they need an extra QB?;)

GeauxColonels
August 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
The powers that be dubbed Nicholls State: Harvard on the Bayou years ago. TRUE STORY. I'm REALLY not making this up!

RatboyNU
August 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
well considering the IVY league isnt drug tested by the NCAA we can cancel steroids, cocaine and all the fun stuff out. Previously the captain was arrested for smacking his girlfriend around i wouldnt doubt that somebody else took the harsher punishment for the second time around.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM
The powers that be dubbed Nicholls State: Harvard on the Bayou years ago. TRUE STORY. I'm REALLY not making this up!

The powers that be in Hudson County, NJ call Jersey City's St. Peter's College "Harvard on Kennedy Boulevard".

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Beginning to think it's a gay love triangle gone horribly awry.

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The powers that be in Hudson County, NJ call Jersey City's St. Peter's College "Harvard on Kennedy Boulevard".

Northern Iowa is considered to be the "Harvard Of Black Hawk County, IA"

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/ia/IA_7171.gif&sig=__qjQp9c22lFBLWEb_FxWvWvqq8_g=

:p :p :p

PantherRob82
August 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/ia/IA_7171.gif&sig=__qjQp9c22lFBLWEb_FxWvWvqq8_g=

You sure it's not Hawkeye or Upper Iowa's Waterloo Campus?

Husky Alum
August 10th, 2006, 07:24 PM
And we at Northeastern refer to our school as "Harvard on Huntington" (Northeastern's campus is bifurcated by Huntington Avenue).

Didn't Ted Kennedy actually get kicked out of Harvard for cheating or plagarism or something, then get let back in and then catch a TD pass in a Yale-Harvard game?

GeauxColonels
August 10th, 2006, 08:34 PM
But do you all have shirts that say that?!

Seriously, Nicholls State sells shirts that read:

Harvard on the Bayou

with the school seal under the words.

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Ha...

And Lafayette is the Harvard of... well, we were trying to out Harvard Harvard until a few years ago...

...or were we trying to out Princeton Princeton... any opinions Pardsters?

carney2
August 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Ha...

And Lafayette is the Harvard of... well, we were trying to out Harvard Harvard until a few years ago...

...or were we trying to out Princeton Princeton... any opinions Pardsters?

Personally, and on a rare serious note, I have always hoped that Lafayette would look to Williams College for its inspiration. Mix in some D-1 athletics with that Williams attitude of "We don't do things to the best of our ability; we do them the best that they can be done." and...

It certainly beats the hell out of Billy Russo's rallying cry of "our goal is a winning season."

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Personally, and on a rare serious note, I have always hoped that Lafayette would look to Williams College for its inspiration. Mix in some D-1 athletics with that Williams attitude of "We don't do things to the best of our ability; we do them the best that they can be done." attitude, and...

I'd just look to our brothers, Colgate, Bucknell, and Lehigh.

In what realm do you wish to see your quote being applied?

Ivytalk
August 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I prefer to think of Harvard as "UNI on the Charles"!!:p :p

carney2
August 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I'd just look to our brothers, Colgate, Bucknell, and Lehigh.

In what realm do you wish to see your quote being applied?

We could start with the aforementioned attitude thing, move on to academics and admissions, and then throw the net everywhere to include extracurricular activities. A turn of the century U.S. President (Grover Cleveland? I can't remember.) called Williams "the finest college in America." It may very well have been a true statement when it was made and it may be just as true today. Two things worth mentioning here:

1. In the admissions process a 4.0 high school GPA and 1600 on your SATs may not be enough. They truly prefer that you also demonstrate that you are "special." Are you a published poet? Do you have a patent or two in your name? If you are involved in extracurricular activities, did you excel? It is amazing how many of their students fit this bill.

2. The "we do it the best that it can be done" really struck me a few years ago in the area of athletics. Williams is in a D-III athletic conference that includes some of the most selective small liberal arts colleges in New England. The conference is very large with more than two dozen members. My older daughter attended another school in Williams' conference. Since you can't depend on your kids to tell you what is really going on, we subscribed to the school newspaper to keep up on things. The back page of the paper was devoted to sports, including conference standings in all sports. At no time during the 4 years did I notice Williams any lower than 2nd in any sport.

They could change their nickname, however. They call themselves the Ephs (pronounced Eefs) after their founder, Ephraim Williams.

Back in the days when Lafayette was rumored to be discussing dropping to D-III or even giving up football altogether, my position was that I would accept it if - and only if - they gave us a Williams College in return. Is this a knock on Lafayette? No way. It is a very selective, quality institution. I am proud to be a graduate. I am merely saying that, in keeping with where this thread has gone ("The Harvard of the...") I see a better role model for a small institution like Lafayette.

Sorry I brought it up.

SoCon48
August 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Harvard. How hard could it be? George Bush got an MBA there.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM
The captain of the defense gone, and now this? I wonder if it's related to the same incident:

Last month, linebacker Matt Thomas, a team captain, was suspended indefinitely for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend at a campus party.

I hope it doesn't linger and ruin Clifton Dawson's season, but the offseason troubles of the Crimson sound cancerous.

rcny46
August 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM

xlolx :hurray: xlolx :hurray: xlolx :hurray: !!!!!!

SunCoastBlueHen
August 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM

With the Ivy's, the hard part is just getting in. :nod:

Ivytalk
August 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM
With the Ivy's, the hard part is just getting in. :nod:

Not far from the truth!:nod:

OL FU
August 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Furman's the Harvard of the Upstatexlolx xlolx

Sorry Walliver:smiley_wi

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM
We could start with the aforementioned attitude thing, move on to academics and admissions, and then throw the net everywhere to include extracurricular activities. A turn of the century U.S. President (Grover Cleveland? I can't remember.) called Williams "the finest college in America." It may very well have been a true statement when it was made and it may be just as true today. Two things worth mentioning here:

1. In the admissions process a 4.0 high school GPA and 1600 on your SATs may not be enough. They truly prefer that you also demonstrate that you are "special." Are you a published poet? Do you have a patent or two in your name? If you are involved in extracurricular activities, did you excel? It is amazing how many of their students fit this bill.

2. The "we do it the best that it can be done" really struck me a few years ago in the area of athletics. Williams is in a D-III athletic conference that includes some of the most selective small liberal arts colleges in New England. The conference is very large with more than two dozen members. My older daughter attended another school in Williams' conference. Since you can't depend on your kids to tell you what is really going on, we subscribed to the school newspaper to keep up on things. The back page of the paper was devoted to sports, including conference standings in all sports. At no time during the 4 years did I notice Williams any lower than 2nd in any sport.

They could change their nickname, however. They call themselves the Ephs (pronounced Eefs) after their founder, Ephraim Williams.

Back in the days when Lafayette was rumored to be discussing dropping to D-III or even giving up football altogether, my position was that I would accept it if - and only if - they gave us a Williams College in return. Is this a knock on Lafayette? No way. It is a very selective, quality institution. I am proud to be a graduate. I am merely saying that, in keeping with where this thread has gone ("The Harvard of the...") I see a better role model for a small institution like Lafayette.

Sorry I brought it up.

We still need to increase our admissions profile numbers wise. I think we already do select students based upon that extra-special talent mantra, which is a very good sign. I know there are efforts at Lafayette to increase talent in certain areas i.e. theatre. But having such a high numbers profile is also negative and we gravitate more towards that Ivy orbit. For Harvard or an Ivy, you need a 4.0, 1600, be all-state clarinet, and have sky-dived in Afghanistan to deliver food to be admitted.

Also, Williams does not have a problem recruiting kids because of their name. I am sure a fair number of prospective DI athletes recruited by Ivies end up at Williams. So, they will likely be competitve in nearly every sport each year. But I see what you are saying... increase Lafayette's profile so that we can get the presistent interest and annually compettive status.

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Not far from the truth!:nod:

Yup.. sat through a Harvard information session at my HS back in the day and the girl said it was virtually impossible to get a C in your class, even if you don't show up. Strangely enough, it basically seems like Harvard is not such a great place to go to school and she seemed not to enthusiastic about her school. She told a story of Japanese tourists taking a tour of her dorm and watching her do her laundry. :rotateh:

But of course, one needs a 4.0, 1600, be all-state flute, and rescued Somalians to be admitted... it's ironic that most kids admitted to Harvard don't really even need the university to succeed in life... only just to network with fellow students and alum for jobs...

carney2
August 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
We still need to increase our admissions profile numbers wise. I think we already do select students based upon that extra-special talent mantra, which is a very good sign. I know there are efforts at Lafayette to increase talent in certain areas i.e. theatre. But having such a high numbers profile is also negative and we gravitate more towards that Ivy orbit. For Harvard or an Ivy, you need a 4.0, 1600, be all-state clarinet, and have sky-dived in Afghanistan to deliver food to be admitted.

Also, Williams does not have a problem recruiting kids because of their name. I am sure a fair number of prospective DI athletes recruited by Ivies end up at Williams. So, they will likely be competitve in nearly every sport each year. But I see what you are saying... increase Lafayette's profile so that we can get the presistent interest and annually compettive status.

Let me rephrase: I'm REALLY sorry that I brought this up.

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM

xlolx Ok, no more from me..

Lehigh Football Nation
August 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM

You saying you're sorry you've hijacked another Ivy/Patriot thread? :eyebrow: xlolx

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
You saying you're sorry you've hijacked another Ivy/Patriot thread? :eyebrow: xlolx

Notice how frequently that happens? We PLers seem to have the longest running threads on issues regarding our own league or the Ivy. Remember that 13+ page thread of nothingness? :rotateh:

Ivytalk
August 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Yup.. sat through a Harvard information session at my HS back in the day and the girl said it was virtually impossible to get a C in your class, even if you don't show up. Strangely enough, it basically seems like Harvard is not such a great place to go to school and she seemed not to enthusiastic about her school. She told a story of Japanese tourists taking a tour of her dorm and watching her do her laundry. :rotateh:

But of course, one needs a 4.0, 1600, be all-state flute, and rescued Somalians to be admitted... it's ironic that most kids admitted to Harvard don't really even need the university to succeed in life... only just to network with fellow students and alum for jobs...

I still do a fair amount of alumni interviewing, and it's astounding what hoops kids have to jump through to get in. Lots of worthy candidates don't. To return to the theme of the thread, though, the next time I interview a football recruit I may have to run a criminal background check!:rolleyes: :p ;)

carney2
August 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

xlolx :D :hurray: Damn, we're good!:nod: :nod:

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I still do a fair amount of alumni interviewing, and it's astounding what hoops kids have to jump through to get in. Lots of worthy candidates don't. To return to the theme of the thread, though, the next time I interview a football recruit I may have to run a criminal background check!:rolleyes: :p ;)

You do alumni interviewing.. interesting... you must have some interesting stories.... I'd like to do that for Lafayette in the very near future, although it's not mandatory.. it should be.. :twocents:

What are these hoops you speak of?

carney2
August 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
You do alumni interviewing.. interesting... you must have some interesting stories.... I'd like to do that for Lafayette in the very near future, although it's not mandatory.. it should be.. :twocents:

The Ivies are amazing - and structured. I remember when one of my kids did the local (alumni) interview for Dartmouth. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who is a Dartmouth grad. He told me not to get my hopes up. "Why" asked I? "Because [he mentioned the name of a local college professor and Dartmouth grad that we both knew] takes all of the 'gimmes.' The probable rejects and 'bubble kids' get filtered down to the guy that your kid saw." Damned if he wasn't right.

Another of my brood was determined not to be denied. "College essays" became a virtual avocation for her. She ended up writing 19 of them and got quite good at it. She wrote her own obituary for Cornell and, in a very sophisticated manner, hinted that a negative vote on her application to Penn would see the voter rot in hell. She was accepted to every school to which she applied, but 19 essays!!

MarkCCU
August 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
damn Ivy League kids

Ivytalk
August 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM

The poster who alluded to perfect grades and Board scores, all-state flute and helping the Somalis wasn't far off the mark. I prefer smart, well-rounded kids who are well-grounded and mature. I also look for essays that are well written and on-point without being "coached" (and many are). Harvard looks for "the hook": one truly outstanding activity or skill. The pressure on these kids -- from parents and from within -- is enormous. I've seen professional-quality resumes listing every achievement a kid ever had; tapes of musical and athletic performances; artwork portfolios; you name it. As Harvard requires alumni interviews, the experience is eye-opening. As acceptance percentages fall below 10%, it gets tougher every year.

SoCon48
August 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx