PDA

View Full Version : 8-3 Tennessee State

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Tigers go 8-3, losing to UT Martin to end the year. Are they an at-large, or no?

ITmonarch10
November 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Tigers go 8-3, losing to UT Martin to end the year. Are they an at-large, or no?

IDK if the committee will like the fact that Tennessee State is basically limping into the playoffs. Also, Eastern Illinois is probably a better second pick from the OVC, especially if they knock off central ark.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM
No, strength of schedule issues. I think only one OVC team gets in this year.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Wouldn't TSU be 1-2 in their final 3 and be behind EKU, EIU and UTM? I think EKU has a better argument for a second OVC team if TSU loses to UTM.

van
November 5th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Wouldn't TSU be 1-2 in their final 3 and be behind EKU, EIU and UTM? I think EKU has a better argument for a second OVC team if TSU loses to UTM.

Yep, EKU at 8-3 should be ahead of TN State.

DSUrocks07
November 5th, 2012, 06:15 AM
No way Tenn State gets in at 8-3. They would barely qualify at 9-2 non-OVC champs IMO.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

atlfcsfan
November 5th, 2012, 06:28 AM
no shot at 8-3 will be too many other 8-3 teams with better resumes and who are playing better

Mr. C
November 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Yep, EKU at 8-3 should be ahead of TN State.

Not when EKU LOST to TSU.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Not when EKU LOST to TSU.

EKU would be 6-2 in the OVC, 8-3 Overall with an all DI win schedule and losses to Purdue, @TSU and EIU. EIU is likely to finish high up in the OVC but is short on DI wins (likely finish 6-1 in the OVC, but 7-4 overall). With that said, for the first time I realized that if EIU wins out and UTM loses to TSU in the finale, EIU would actually get the autobid. They are, IMO, the most deserving team left, though I'm confused as to why they play one fewer conference game than UTM. Is one of UTM's conference games non-conference?

Skyhawk71
November 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Tennessee State has an agreement with the OVC rotates a non-Tennessee school off of the schedule every season; this allows them to play in four "Classic" games against Jackson State, one other SWAC; and two MEACs; in most seasons this is never a problem; this year it is because EIU is at the top and so is TSU. IMO the only shot the OVC has at an at-large this season is if EIU wins out with a win over UCA in the final week, although TSU has a chance to beat UTM and finish 9-2- barring a SEMO upset of EIU; If UTM has a loss at Tech, or TSU- EIU will win the OVC outright

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
No, they'll be competing against teams like a Indiana St (7-3), Wofford (8-3), South Dakota St (8-3), Illinois St (8-3), James Madison (8-3), and Richmond (8-3). I see all those teams as having better arguments than an 8-3 TSU (or an 8-3 EKU for that matter). A very strong bubble this year will not play well towards an 8-3 OVC team.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Folks are talking about Eastern Illinois beating UCA on the road as if it's already happened. There won't be three 8-3 teams sitting behind UT Martin for the autobid, and I'm not even sure Martin will even beat TSU. But I think it's safe to say that one OVC team will make the field as an at-large and a power conference team will be sitting at home on Thanksgiving, unless pandemomium occurs.