PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies embark on 2006 campaign

Ronbo
August 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Grizzlies embark on 2006 campaign
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

Fifteen starters and 45 letter winners lead the Montana Grizzlies into fall camp, which begins Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at UM's South Campus fields.

They'll be met by a couple new Division I-A transfers, a new quarterbacks coach and the usual high expectations. The Grizzlies, a year after surrendering favorites' status to Eastern Washington, are again picked by the media and coaches to win the Big Sky Conference.

“We are pleased with the respect we received from the media and coaches,” said Bobby Hauck, UM's fourth-year head coach. “Now we need to take a one-game-at-a-time approach and try to win each game, which of course is never easy.”

The Griz have gone 29-11 under Hauck, advancing to the I-AA championship in 2004, where they lost to James Madison. Last year's team went 8-4 and earned at least a share of the Big Sky title for the eighth straight year. The Griz were ranked No. 11 by USA Today/ESPN and No. 12 by The Sports Network to end 2005. They are No. 3 in The Sports Network's preseason poll, which came out Monday.

Montana has won 11 of the last 13 Big Sky crowns, and is looking to extend their I-AA record playoff streak to 14 seasons this fall.

“Our expectations are always to compete for, and win, the Big Sky Conference championship,” Hauck said. “This season is no different.”

http://missoulian.com/articles/2006/08/09/sports/sports02.txt