PDA

View Full Version : The pressure is really on Wofford next Saturday

AppMan
November 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
If the Ankle Biters lose to UTC they will need to pull off a huge upset in Columbia to have the 7 wins needed to make the FCS PLayoffs. Wouldn't that be a kick in the gut!

millwoga1
November 4th, 2012, 09:26 AM
If the Ankle Biters lose to UTC they will need to pull off a huge upset in Columbia to have the 7 wins needed to make the FCS PLayoffs. Wouldn't that be a kick in the gut!

Very true, but been here before in last few years and when placed in this situation have won the game to get in. Twice against utc I believe

LehighU11
November 4th, 2012, 09:37 AM
From ranked 6th in the nation to out of the playoff picture 3 weeks later. I think GSU, App St, and UTC will all finish 6-2 in the conference, leaving a talented, but overrated all season long Wofford team on the outside looking in during the selection show.

I said it week 2 and I'll say it again, that game against Lincoln (PA) was a huge mistake and a scheduling embarrassment. I've been to their campus, and they have poorer athletic facilities and fields (if you can call them that) than every high school in the Philly suburbs. The SoCon is too tough to risk your playoff hopes on scheduling a joke of a D2 opponent that finished 1-9 and was outscored 479-206 this year.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
This isn't the first time we were in this position. We were in the exact same position last year. And 2007.

That doesn't mean I'm not worried, but what I am saying is that everyone needs to calm their tits because this really isn't something new.

Our offense has got to show up next week.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Wofford, IMO, is going to need help even if they beat UTC. It's possible 7 DI wins will leave them on the outside looking in.

atlfcsfan
November 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Whats scary about it. Even if Wofford wins next week, they arent a lock to get in. Not sure how the So-Con auto bid works, but if Wofford doesnt win the autobid, they are likely looking at being 8-3(Div 2 win included). There is a good chance that somewhere an 8-3 team will be left out of the playoffs

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Wofford, IMO, is going to need help even if they beat UTC. It's possible 7 DI wins will leave them on the outside looking in.

Not it won't. Guys, I don't know who started this alarmism with 7 D1 wins, but most of the field will not have more than 7 D1 wins. If anything, 7 D1 wins is a litmus test to get in.

Wofford has made the playoffs twice with a resume similar to this. Including last year. The difference between this year and last year? We would have a socon title this year

Saint3333
November 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Wofford is a lock at 8-3. Under a 20 game playoff bracket, no power conference member with 7 d1 wins and an 8-3 record will be left out.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
So you mean, SD. State, ISU-r, UNH, ODU, Richmond, JMU, NDSU, EWU, MSU, Cal Poly, NAU, Stony Brook, Lehigh, UTM, Tennessee State, EKU, UCA, Bethune-Cookman, App. State and Georgia Southern, who all project to have 8 wins? There might be one or two on that list that don't get there, but Wofford is almost certainly behind Sam Houston based on rankings, too.

I know people say it, but I think there is some credence to it.

LehighU11
November 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I think Wofford is done as long as App beats Furman, even with 7 D1 wins for the Terriers. To the chagrin of many, the Patriot League looks like it might wind up with 2 teams in: Colgate with the AQ and Lehigh as an at-large at 10-1. The SoCon will probably only get GSU and ASU in. Colgate winning the PL next week would likely be the nail in the coffin for Wofford.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
There are still 25 teams that can get to 8 DI wins for power conferences (SHSU, 7) or 9 DI wins from other conferences (LU, 10 wins). Of those, the CAA and MVFC both have two teams on the list, so we are down to 8 at large spots going to 13 teams in the hunt for 8 or 9 plus wins.

Of those 13 teams, nine, Villanova, Richmond, Bethane Cookman, ISUb, Albany, Tenn-Martin, Tenn St, App St, Samford, have to win out to win that threshold, so there is room for some 7 win teams, but doubt it is more than 2 or 3.

Note App St is on the list and many would say they are in with 7 wins. Also if Lehigh finishes 10-1 with no AQ, or Stoney Brook is 9-2 with no AQ, that would take away from 7 win chances.

Bisonwinagn
November 4th, 2012, 12:56 PM
There are still 25 teams that can get to 8 DI wins for power conferences (SHSU, 7) or 9 DI wins from other conferences (LU, 10 wins). Of those, the CAA and MVFC both have two teams on the list, so we are down to 8 at large spots going to 13 teams in the hunt for 8 or 9 plus wins.

Of those 13 teams, nine, Villanova, Richmond, Bethane Cookman, ISUb, Albany, Tenn-Martin, Tenn St, App St, Samford, have to win out to win that threshold, so there is room for some 7 win teams, but doubt it is more than 2 or 3.

Note App St is on the list and many would say they are in with 7 wins. Also if Lehigh finishes 10-1 with no AQ, or Stoney Brook is 9-2 with no AQ, that would take away from 7 win chances.

Lehigh will not get in as an at large over any 8 win team from a major conference and likely wouldn't get in over a lot of 7 win teams. If they lose they're done.

App1928
November 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think Wofford is done as long as App beats Furman, even with 7 D1 wins for the Terriers. To the chagrin of many, the Patriot League looks like it might wind up with 2 teams in: Colgate with the AQ and Lehigh as an at-large at 10-1. The SoCon will probably only get GSU and ASU in. Colgate winning the PL next week would likely be the nail in the coffin for Wofford.

I agree 100%, i think wofford is out....but i must say it would be a shame if colgate AND lehigh got in the playoffs, because though these kids are working their butts off and winning ball games, they are playing incredibly weak schedules and there is no way lehigh or colgate could finish top 6 in the SoCon....Wofford is far superior to these teams who eak out wins vs. Holy Cross and whoever else they play....but nevertheless, it appears wofford is done

LehighU11
November 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Lehigh will not get in as an at large over any 8 win team from a major conference and likely wouldn't get in over a lot of 7 win teams. If they lose they're done.

No 10-win team from a league with an auto-qualifier has ever been excluded from the playoffs, even before the expanded field. So if Lehigh wins against Lafayette, but drops to Colgate, they're almost a lock to be in the field based upon past selections.

LehighU11
November 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I agree 100%, i think wofford is out....but i must say it would be a shame if colgate AND lehigh got in the playoffs, because though these kids are working their butts off and winning ball games, they are playing incredibly weak schedules and there is no way lehigh or colgate could finish top 6 in the SoCon....Wofford is far superior to these teams who eak out wins vs. Holy Cross and whoever else they play....but nevertheless, it appears wofford is done

The way the PL is this year, I would tend to agree with you that we only deserve our AQ to be in the playoffs for 2012. Colgate, though very strong offensively, would probably give up 20 to a decent high school team. The entire Patriot League is just about even in talent, including Bucknell. Lehigh's playoff experience the past two seasons and will to win is the reason we are 9-0. Otherwise, we could easily be 1-8 like Holy Cross. "Any Given Saturday" is really the story of the 2012 Patriot League season.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

You guys from NDSU kill me. I love it when you tell those jokes or just show that you know nothing about the playoff process. Name one 10 win team from a playoff participating league that has not gotten in. xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
No 10-win team from a league with an auto-qualifier has ever been excluded from the playoffs, even before the expanded field. So if Lehigh wins against Lafayette, but drops to Colgate, they're almost a lock to be in the field based upon past selections.

Some of these people are so ignorant it's beyond belief.

Lehigh at 10-1 will be in the playoffs. I'm not even worried about it....

Bisonwinagn
November 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

You guys from NDSU kill me. I love it when you tell those jokes or just show that you know nothing about the playoff process. Name one 10 win team from a playoff participating league that has not gotten in. xcoffeex

At this point in the season it appears there will be more 8 wins teams than normal mostly due to a lot of really bad teams at the bottom of the major conferences. I like Lehigh and hope they win out, but it would be a 50/50 chance at best of making the playoffs if they lose. This bracket has them playing in the first round even if they win out http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf which is why I think they would have a hard time getting an at large.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
At this point in the season it appears there will be more 8 wins teams than normal mostly due to a lot of really bad teams at the bottom of the major conferences. I like Lehigh and hope they win out, but it would be a 50/50 chance at best of making the playoffs if they lose. This bracket has them playing in the first round even if they win out http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf which is why I think they would have a hard time getting an at large.

That bracket goes highly based on computer rankings which is not what the committee does. Also that bracket has three seeds from the BSC, most of these brackets give very little thought, unlike the committee.

van
November 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Not it won't. Guys, I don't know who started this alarmism with 7 D1 wins, but most of the field will not have more than 7 D1 wins. If anything, 7 D1 wins is a litmus test to get in.

Wofford has made the playoffs twice with a resume similar to this. Including last year. The difference between this year and last year? We would have a socon title this year

Young one on drugs again, for sure most of the field will have 7 D1 wins. Probably more than half the field will have 8 D1 wins.

Go Apps
November 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes UTC is surging and Wofford is fading - ASU is pulling for UTC - if we can beat Furman no guarentees to that but a win and a loss by Wofford gives us the Autobid and I think a possible #4 seed

walliver
November 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, both our starting QB (hip) and back-up QB (knee) are questionable for next week. I fear we are underdogs this week. It will take great effort by our O-line and defense to pull this one out.

I would hate to play South Carolina needing a win to become at-large eligible.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Folks, remember the playoff committee and precedent (why won't people get this concept?). The only time I can think of where a co-champion of an FCS power conference did not make the playoffs was when the Atlantic 10 had FOUR teams tie for first with a 16-team field and Villanova was left out because the Wildcats dropped a game to Division II New Haven in 2001. At that time, the committee had never picked four teams from the same conference. Now if UTC beats Wofford and wins its final game the next week, the Mocs wouldn't win the auto bid and would not have the requisite seven D-I wins. But I can't see any way that Wofford is out if it wins a share of the SoCon title on Saturday.

dungeonjoe
November 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Folks, remember the playoff committee and precedent (why won't people get this concept?). The only time I can think of where a co-champion of an FCS power conference did not make the playoffs was when the Atlantic 10 had FOUR teams tie for first with a 16-team field and Villanova was left out because the Wildcats dropped a game to Division II New Haven in 2001. At that time, the committee had never picked four teams from the same conference. Now if UTC beats Wofford and wins its final game the next week, the Mocs wouldn't win the auto bid and would not have the requisite seven D-I wins. But I can't see any way that Wofford is out if it wins a share of the SoCon title on Saturday.
I was hoping you would chime in one way or the other. Ten years after being "Woofed" by the committee, we once again will depend on the kindness of strangers. I really hate that. All that Wofford can do to help its case is win next week. I hope you are right, Mr. C.

AppMan
November 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM
the Mocs wouldn't win the auto bid and would not have the requisite seven D-I wins.

According to youngterrier there is nothing to the 7 win requisite.

"I don't know who started this alarmism with 7 D1 wins, but most of the field will not have more than 7 D1 wins. If anything, 7 D1 wins is a litmus test to get in."

What say you Mr C?

dungeonjoe
November 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM

"I don't know who started this alarmism with 7 D1 wins, but most of the field will not have more than 7 D1 wins. If anything, 7 D1 wins is a litmus test to get in."

What say you Mr C? is Glenville state division 1? They are 5-4 now. IF they win over Wofford and Elon. They will be 7-4, 6-4 if Grenville is D2. Not seven wins.

walliver
November 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM
is Glenville state division 1? They are 5-4 now. IF they win over Wofford and Elon. They will be 7-4, 6-4 if Grenville is D2. Not seven wins.

UTC cannot get at at-large bid if the 7 D-I wins "rule" is enforced.

chattownmocs
November 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM
How long have the playoffs been at 20? 1 year 2 years. Are we in agreement that there is no official 7 d1 win rule. So basically everyone is basing this off of one year. Chattanooga may not have a good enough resune regardless but the idea that a win over presbyterian makes you a playoff worthy team anymore than a win over glenville state is asinine.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 08:50 PM

What say you Mr C?

I pay a lot of attention to precedent when I try to figure out what the committee might do. A team with less than seven wins has only made it into the tournament as an at-large selection ONE time. Idaho was 6-4 in 1995 (the Vandals' last season in I-AA) and was selected into a 16-team field. The Vandals promptly lost 33-3 to McNeese State in the playoffs. Since the rule was changed from four losses putting you in jeopardy to less than seven D-I wins being the threshold, no six-win teams have been invited. When Montana wasn't invited with six D-I wins and a 7-4 record in 2010 and Delaware wasn't strongly considered with six D-I wins and a 7-4 record in 2011, that pretty much told me that the committee isn't likely to go there. The still maturing Pup can hope all he wants, but the Terriers need to take care of business on Saturday against UTC, which I think they will.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
How long have the playoffs been at 20? 1 year 2 years. Are we in agreement that there is no official 7 d1 win rule. So basically everyone is basing this off of one year. Chattanooga may not have a good enough resune regardless but the idea that a win over presbyterian makes you a playoff worthy team anymore than a win over glenville state is asinine.

If the committee didn't take Montana, or Delaware the past two years with six D-I wins, it isn't going to take Chattanooga. While the guideline on seven D-I wins isn't a "rule" it is a strongly-written suggestion to protocol. You should have found someone other than D-II Glenville State to play. You have only yourself to blame. And Presbyterian would beat the pulp out of Glenville State, BTW.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I was hoping you would chime in one way or the other. Ten years after being "Woofed" by the committee, we once again will depend on the kindness of strangers. I really hate that. All that Wofford can do to help its case is win next week. I hope you are right, Mr. C.

You know what I thought about the terrible decision in 2002. Take care of business on Saturday, earn a share of the SoCon title and you should be fine.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Let's just put it this way: No six-D-I-win team has ever made it, and this year there's going to be a record number of 8 D-I win teams or better making the field, to say nothing of 7 D-I win teams.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Let's just put it this way: No six-D-I-win team has ever made it, and this year there's going to be a record number of 8 D-I win teams or better making the field, to say nothing of 7 D-I win teams.

Correction, ONE six win teams has received a bid (you must have missed my earlier post). Idaho was 6-4 in 1995 and was rewarded with an at-large bid.

ElCid
November 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Lots of speculation about where the line will be drawn, but the simple fact is that if Chatt beats Wofford, both will be out. And that is a real good possibility considering how each have been playing lately. In that case, SOCON will only get two in, I know folks don't like to hear that, but looking around the league, it really is obvious.

seantaylor
November 5th, 2012, 12:43 AM
UTC cannot make the playoffs unless they somehow win the autobid. Which is not happening.

utcfan
November 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM
If the committee didn't take Montana, or Delaware the past two years with six D-I wins, it isn't going to take Chattanooga. While the guideline on seven D-I wins isn't a "rule" it is a strongly-written suggestion to protocol. You should have found someone other than D-II Glenville State to play. You have only yourself to blame. And Presbyterian would beat the pulp out of Glenville State, BTW.

You do realize that it was not UTC's fault that the Presbyterian game was dropped? PC had to back out to play Vandy due to the SEC schedule changing when MO and TxAM entered SEC. UTC did search for an FCS game on the dates available, but could not find one. One FCS team at first said yes, and then backed out. Now, what UTC could have done was taken care of business vs JSU, that is on UTC, but Glenville State was best that could be done under the circumstances. Unless another team backs out, UTC has no plans to play D2. Plans are to play one $$$ game and the rest FCS on OOC schedule.

chattownmocs
November 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Again, Chattanooga may not deserve to make it. But any team under playoff consideration would beat presbyterian. So the idea that a win against them instead of Glenville state would give Chattanooga a chance is dumb. That is how the system works but it doesn't make it smart. That game should not factor in at all. We shouldn't be looking at a gimme win as better than another gimme win. That is a stupid, stupid, stupid way of choosing a playoff field.

Saint3333
November 5th, 2012, 08:38 AM
The rules were set prior to the season. You made decisions that put you in this position. Wait until next year I guess.

chattownmocs
November 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM
The rules were set prior to the season. You made decisions that put you in this position. Wait until next year I guess.

What rules?

Eagle22
November 5th, 2012, 08:58 AM
You do realize that it was not UTC's fault that the Presbyterian game was dropped? PC had to back out to play Vandy due to the SEC schedule changing when MO and TxAM entered SEC. UTC did search for an FCS game on the dates available, but could not find one. One FCS team at first said yes, and then backed out. Now, what UTC could have done was taken care of business vs JSU, that is on UTC, but Glenville State was best that could be done under the circumstances. Unless another team backs out, UTC has no plans to play D2. Plans are to play one $$$ game and the rest FCS on OOC schedule.

Doesn't matter. GSU had to play Tusculum in 2011 after CCU backed out on the 2nd game of a home-and-home. Had GSU not won @ Wofford late in the season to secure the auto-bid, we would have been sitting at home for the playoffs having only won 6 D1 games. The committee will give no 'credit' for circumstances, even if they are realistically beyond your control.

Losing to JSU, as you said ... is on UTC. That was your nail in the coffin.

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Wofford is banged up for this game, but the Mocs always seem to find a way to pull defeat from the grasp of victory.

utcfan
November 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Doesn't matter. GSU had to play Tusculum in 2011 after CCU backed out on the 2nd game of a home-and-home. Had GSU not won @ Wofford late in the season to secure the auto-bid, we would have been sitting at home for the playoffs having only won 6 D1 games. The committee will give no 'credit' for circumstances, even if they are realistically beyond your control.

Losing to JSU, as you said ... is on UTC. That was your nail in the coffin.

Not complaining, but Mr C seemed to imply UTC chose D2, when in fact they did not. Don't expect credit, expect Mocs to be watching the playoffs. Playing for pride and next year at this point.

ASUMountaineer
November 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM
This isn't the first time we were in this position. We were in the exact same position last year. And 2007.

That doesn't mean I'm not worried, but what I am saying is that everyone needs to calm their tits because this really isn't something new.

Our offense has got to show up next week.

How does one "calm their tits?" Why would one want tits to be calmed? These are some of life's questions that need to be answered.