PDA

View Full Version : 8 Div 1 win Playoff Scenarios

ITmonarch10
November 4th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Alright, I just did a quick analysis of likely 8 playoff win at large teams and I believe someone with 8 wins is going to be left out. I have 4 teams from the Big Sky and CAA ;in addition, 2 teams from the SoCon and MVFC in as at large teams. With the exception of the CAA, the other power conferences are pretty much wrapped up.

Questions?
Which 8-3 team gets bumped to allow Sam Houston (7-1 in fcs play 8-3 overall) into the playoffs? Or are they playing for nothing right now? If they get in are they seeded?
Which 8-3 team gets bumped to allow a second OVC team into the playoffs?
Which CAA teams is most likely going to choke (JMU, Richmond or Nova) and is Towson essentially playing spoiler at this point?

Do you think this season will make AD thinktwice about scheduling a Div 2 team and a FBS team?

Do you think money will be a factor indetermining the final spots for the playoffs?

*Bold = 8 Div 1 wins*

Big Sky (est 4 bids)| Honestly the playoff bound teams are almost written in stone. Basically they are fighting for the auto-bid in conference title. Only an 8-3 Cal Poly might be a bubble team with a loss to NAU. NAU needs to beat either Cal Poly or Southern Utah to make 8 Div 1 wins.

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/conf-bsky.gif

Ovr
PF
PA
Conf
PF
PA

Northern Arizona
8-1
6-0

Eastern Washington
7-2
5-1

Montana State
8-1
5-1

Cal Poly
7-2
5-1

The CAA (est 3-4) |UNH and ODU just got 8 div 1 wins ,but a lot of football is left to be played. Richmond, Nova, and JMU are basically fighting for the last 2 spots. Richmond has a relative easy remaining schedule and just needs to win out to make the playoff and control their fate. Nova has to beat JMU and Delaware to make it to the playoffs. JMU has to defeat either ODU or Nova to make the playoffs. My Final 4 from the CAA ODU, UNH, JMU, and Richmond

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/conf-caa.gif

Ovr
PF
PA
Conf
PF
PA

New Hampshire
8-2
6-1

Old Dominion
8-1
5-1

James Madison
7-2
5-1

Richmond
6-3
4-2

Towson
5-4
4-2

Villanova
6-3
4-2

SoCon (est 2)| What a hot mess with turned into with GSU losing to ASU. ASU is into the playoffs with a win over furman and I believe they even get the autobid. GSU is in with a win over Howard. Wofford is out because of a d2 win and I don't believe they are a going to be USC.

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/conf-soco.gif

Ovr
PF
PA
Conf
PF
PA

Georgia Southern
7-2
6-2

Wofford
7-2
6-1

Appalachian State
7-3
5-2

MVFC (est 3) | The MVFC is pretty much all wrapped up and are now just fighting for the auto bid. NDSU and Illinois State are already in the playoffs with 8 div 1 wins. SDSU needs to either beat SDU or NDSU to get into the playoffs. xeyebrowx Indiana State way to fail scheduling an FBS and a Div 2 team. The MVFC could of had 4 teams in this year.

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/conf-mvfc.gif

Ovr
PF
PA
Conf
PF
PA

North Dakota State
8-1
5-1

South Dakota State
7-2
5-1

Illinois State
8-2
5-2

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Wofford is 7-2 overall with a non-Division 1 win and BCS #8 South Carolina still looming on their schedule.. Your stat line for them is completely wrong. They have losses to Georgia Southern and Samford.

Wofford beating Chatty will only get them to 7DI wins.

ITmonarch10
November 4th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Wofford is 7-2 overall with a non-Division 1 win and BCS #8 South Carolina still looming on their schedule.. Your stat line for them is completely wrong.

Wofford beating Chatty will only get them to 7DI wins.

Don't you love when websites have wrong stats and score. Curse you College Sports Journal

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/mini-woff.gif

(3) Wofford

Final

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/mini-samf.gif

Samford

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
24-17 Samford won.

I would say barring a miracle Wofford is out.

van
November 4th, 2012, 05:59 AM
OVC AQ is a mess, NEC AQ looks like Wagner, Colgate could win Patriot AQ. Each of these three could also bump a 8 win team from an at large spot. This is nothing new, seems every year some AQ surprise strikes.

atlfcsfan
November 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Don't you love when websites have wrong stats and score. Curse you College Sports Journal

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/mini-woff.gif

(3) Wofford

Final

http://college-sports-source.appspot.com/images/mini-samf.gif

Samford

Yeah I saw that score at first too, and was actually going to post talking about a possible 4 way tie scenario for so con then when I checked the standings a little bit later, I saw Wofford had 2 losses and knew something was amiss. And then checked another site for score and it had Sammy winning

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Incidentally, this is now fixed. Partially blame Samford's live stats for being completely screwy.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
24-17 Samford won.

I would say barring a miracle Wofford is out.

lol you're wrong.

Wofford finished 8-3 in 2007 and 2011, with sub-D1 wins, and made the playoffs.

Wofford is especially in if the Citadel wins out or if for some reason Samford wins out.

Either way, if we beat Chatty, we're in.

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
OVC AQ is a mess, NEC AQ looks like Wagner, Colgate could win Patriot AQ. Each of these three could also bump a 8 win team from an at large spot. This is nothing new, seems every year some AQ surprise strikes.

Disagree with the NEC part, the only playoff team coming out of the NEC is the AQ. If albany doesn't win the conference they are out.

WrenFGun
November 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
lol you're wrong.

Wofford is especially in if the Citadel wins out or if for some reason Samford wins out.

I have no idea why you think previous seasons apply to this one but going 1-2 with 7 DI wins to end the season with a deep playoff pool doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Mr. Pink
November 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Gentlemen.... This much can be guaranteed.. Wofford, GSU, and App State will ALL be in the playoffs this year....

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Gentlemen.... This much can be guaranteed.. Wofford, GSU, and App State will ALL be in the playoffs this year....

Lol no, its entirely possible Wofford only reaches 6DI wins. Failtroll is fail. The above post is as likely as the socon being a 1 bid league.

ITmonarch10
November 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Well, the 7 FCS win teams with a shot at the playoffs are Sam Houston, Towson, Wofford and Indiana State. I'm not sure why your so confident wofford makes the playoffs.

App1928
November 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
lol you're wrong.

I mean I know your a wofford fan....but in the same way App will likely not make the playoffs with a loss to furman (leaving us with 7 d1 wins), it is doubtful wofford is in....i mean its possible....but they only have 1 signature win, and if it comes down to Indiana State, Sam Houston, App, or anyone in the CAA....wofford is at a disadvantage for playing such a weak schedule, not being a big name in FCS, and having poor attendance figures....I hope they get in.....but it looks grim....i mean even though wofford beat App head to head, how many neutral fans think the committee would even choose wofford over app if app falls to furman? I would be shocked if they chose the terriers...

Mr. Pink
November 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Well, the 7 FCS win teams with a shot at the playoffs are Sam Houston, Towson, Wofford and Indiana State. I'm not sure why your so confident wofford makes the playoffs.

You know put that way... I'm not so confident.

URMite
November 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM
You may also want to look at NAU at 7-3 maybe not strong but will get a look. And what if McNeese St wins out?
1-0 Div II 2-0 FBS 5-3 FCS...

ODUsmitty
November 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Despite some old geezer FrontRoyalSpider finding fertile trolling ground on our boards, I really hope Richmond defeats Delaware and WM to close the season. WOuld be a heck of a turnaround from last year, and I have always had a soft spot for the Ticks, as a Richmond native.

URMite
November 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Despite some old geezer FrontRoyalSpider finding fertile trolling ground on our boards, I really hope Richmond defeats Delaware and WM to close the season. WOuld be a heck of a turnaround from last year, and I have always had a soft spot for the Ticks, as a Richmond native.
Wait! He took time out from being on the JMU board? No wonder he stopped reporting their every post on our board...

Both games could be tough. Delaware has shown the last two weeks they haven't given up. W&M looks like us last year. We lost to UNH, W&M, Maine, & Towson all on the last play. So far this year W&M has lost to UNH, JMU, Maryland, & Towson by a total of 8 points all on the road.

URMite
November 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Even if none of them win another game?