PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Eyes SHSU Transfer

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Add I-A University of Houston and Sam Houston State to the list of schools, along with Div II A&M-Commerce that have been put on 'Bomar Watch'. According to the article below, Bomar is considering a move to SHSU.

Reportedly, a story on the Houston FOX affiliate, which tends to break local sports news left and right (they have a very aggressive reporter), said on their news last night that Bomar was in Huntsville yesterday meeting with the "powers that be". That's not mentioned in the below article.

Oddly enough, Noah Allen, now a senior on the Kats and a former starter at QB transferred to SHSU in large part because Bomar signed with OU, which effected his attempt at moving up the depth chart.
------

Bomar takes a look at UH

By RONNIE TURNER
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar, who was kicked off the team last week after it was revealed he violated NCAA rules, visited the University of Houston campus Tuesday, keeping open the chance he might transfer to the school next semester.

Bomar toured the facilities and met with UH head coach Art Briles. Should Bomar, a redshirt sophomore, commit to a Division I-A school, it is believed Houston would be a strong possibility. Bomar is also considering Division I-AA school Sam Houston State. If Bomar transfers to a Division I-A school, he must sit out a minimum of one season because of NCAA transfer rules. That does not include the possible suspension he faces from the NCAA.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4104246.html

blackfordpu
August 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Is Bomar really that good?

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Add I-A University of Houston and Sam Houston State to the list of schools, along with Div II A&M-Commerce that have been put on 'Bomar Watch'. According to the article below, Bomar is considering a move to SHSU.

Reportedly, a story on the Houston FOX affiliate, which tends to break local sports news left and right (they have a very aggressive reporter), said on their news last night that Bomar was in Huntsville yesterday meeting with the "powers that be". That's not mentioned in the below article.

Oddly enough, Noah Allen, now a senior on the Kats and a former starter at QB transferred to SHSU in large part because Bomar signed with OU, which effected his attempt at moving up the depth chart.
------

Bomar takes a look at UH

By RONNIE TURNER
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar, who was kicked off the team last week after it was revealed he violated NCAA rules, visited the University of Houston campus Tuesday, keeping open the chance he might transfer to the school next semester.

Bomar toured the facilities and met with UH head coach Art Briles. Should Bomar, a redshirt sophomore, commit to a Division I-A school, it is believed Houston would be a strong possibility. Bomar is also considering Division I-AA school Sam Houston State. If Bomar transfers to a Division I-A school, he must sit out a minimum of one season because of NCAA transfer rules. That does not include the possible suspension he faces from the NCAA.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4104246.html

I heard he had settled on Texas A&M Commerce. He better decide soon.

flexbone
August 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Why would you go from a D-1 program to a program Texas A & M Commerce - They wouldn't even be able to give him a full scholarship ? If I was him and didn't want to sit out a year and go to another D-1 program I would go D-1 AA and atleast get a full scholarship. Am I missing something?

shakdaddy3
August 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Is Bomar really that good?
no.. he just was the top HS QB coming out his year and started as a frosh @ OU... terrible really :eek:

BaylorTitan
August 9th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Alot of people had him being All Conference this year. He'd help SHSU out alot,IMO with recruiting and on field sucess.

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Reliable sources out of Houston are saying Bomar and his offensive line former teammate from Oklahoma will be heading to UH...this according to the UH message board.

Apparently, ESPN790 (Houston sports radio station) "just reported that the university can't comment about Bomar or Quinn yet because their scholarship paperwork isn't finalized" according to another poster on the UH board....

http://mb16.scout.com/fcoogfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=26367.topic

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
interesting. how can all of this happen if OU hasn't even released him yet?

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2006, 05:54 AM
SHSU coach and AD confirm the Huntsville visit...

Former Sooner Bomar interested in being a Bearkat
SHSU coach talks to quarterback during Huntsville visit
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

There was big news swirling around the Sam Houston State athletic department Wednesday afternoon about the possibility of the Bearkats landing two Division I football transfers.

SHSU athletic director Bobby Williams confirmed that former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn both have expressed interest in transferring to play for the Bearkats.

“We are one of the schools they are considering transferring to,” Williams said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. “We can’t say much more than that at this point. We have to make sure that we go through the correct process the same way we have with other transfers in the past.”

Bomar, a sophomore, was dismissed by the Sooners after a team investigation revealed he had made up to $18,000 while working at a car dealership in Norman, Okla., and filed for 40-hour work weeks despite only working five hours a week. Quinn, Bomar’s roommate, was also dismissed.

For more...

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_222011941.html?keyword=topstory

GoBears
August 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
There was big news swirling around the Sam Houston State athletic department Wednesday afternoon about the possibility of the Bearkats landing two Division I football transfers.
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_222011941.html?keyword=topstory

Get 'er done Ralph.

SO ILLmatic
August 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Texas T. how do you feel about the possibility of Bomar becoming a Kat?
Will the SHSU fans welcome him with open arms?

Im just trying to get a general idea of how the SHSU fans feel about the talented QB that got released from OU for accepting money and might join the team less than a month before the first games begin.

chrisattsu
August 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Texas T. how do you feel about the possibility of Bomar becoming a Kat?
Will the SHSU fans welcome him with open arms?

Im just trying to get a general idea of how the SHSU fans feel about the talented QB that got released from OU for accepting money and might join the team less than a month before the first games begin.

It wouldn't be the first time that they rented a QB from a Big 12 school.........:D

*Zing*

"Lord, I apologize and please be with the starving pygmies down in New Guinea, Amen"

bluehenbillk
August 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I was under the impression that Bomar wasn't eligible to play at any school until the NCAA reinstates him.

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Texas T. how do you feel about the possibility of Bomar becoming a Kat? Will the SHSU fans welcome him with open arms?

I think Kat fans would be open to Bomar coming in if all of his problems are resolved beforehand. If anything, the Kats do not want to take on an individual who could bring his baggage over to our program and hurt our school's athletic program, if some things are still hanging over his head.

The Kat faithful are used to football players getting a second wind in Huntsville, whether for personal problems or what not, just like all I-AA schools are due to the transfer rules.

We'll see what happens. My thoughts is that no matter what Bomar does, he'll sit out the 2006 season. He won't see an NCAA field til 2007 at the very least, so a transfer to a I-A school may not be all that bad, if he doesn't have to sit 2007 as well.

You can always visit www.KatFans.com to gauge the SHSU sentiment. Atleast one person said he'd lose all respect and toss all ties to SHSU if we brought him in...

It wouldn't be the first time that they rented a QB from a Big 12 school.........*Zing*

Hey now, Josh McCown was from SMU. While Chris Chalpouka was from OK St, we didn't go to the playoffs. Dustin Long was Big XII though as is Philip Daughtry (who came to SHSU with three years of eligibility) and Noah Allen, who also came with three years.

TxSt-San Marcos had Barrick Nealy from Houston, David Ramirez from Purdue. You guys pluck the I-A ranks as well. Just look at Ingle Martin from Furman last year. A I-A transfer. It's nothing new...

kats89
August 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM
It wouldn't be the first time that they rented a QB from a Big 12 school.........:D

*Zing*

"Lord, I apologize and please be with the starving pygmies down in New Guinea, Amen"

Dude, why do you make a stupid comment like that. You and other bobcat fools tend to forget to mention that Nealy TRANSFERRED from University of Houston. If we are successful with a transfer QB, then SHSU rented a QB. If txstate is successful, then he is a bobcat through and through. Last I checked, McCown is the first to admit he is from Sam Houston State. So if our Tx Tech transfer from last year (Philip Daugherty) leads us to the promise land, I guess we rented a QB again?:rolleyes: :bang:

Judging by your profile, are you a Tarleton St Texan or a Tx State Bobcat? Let me guess, you are now a bobcat because they were in the playoffs last year right?xidiotx

chrisattsu
August 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Dude, why do you make a stupid comment like that. You and other bobcat fools tend to forget to mention that Nealy TRANSFERRED from University of Houston. If we are successful with a transfer QB, then SHSU rented a QB. If txstate is successful, then he is a bobcat through and through. Last I checked, McCown is the first to admit he is from Sam Houston State. So if our Tx Tech transfer from last year (Philip Daugherty) leads us to the promise land, I guess we rented a QB again?:rolleyes: :bang:

Judging by your profile, are you a Tarleton St Texan or a Tx State Bobcat? Let me guess, you are now a bobcat because they were in the playoffs last year right?xidiotx

The comment was bad I admit, I simply read it and that's what came to mind. I know we all take IA transfers if we can get it so there is no fault in any school doing it. That's part of the reason I put the Larry the Cable Guy quote at the bottom. I would in fact welcome him into the SLC or the LSC (should he choose TAMU-Commerce), I think the media hype would be good for the league.

IN REGARDS TO MY PROFILE, I am and always will be a Tarleton Texan first. I will bleed purple and "Raise the Spirit of Oscar P" every chance I get for the remainder of my life. After getting my BA from Tarleton in 2004, I moved to Texas State to get my MA. I am a graduate student in our history program and I work for the university.

Am I a Bobcat because they were in the playoffs last year? NO, I have been a Bobcat since my first day on this campus. I still retain my Tarleton pride, but that doesn't stop me from supporting my other Alma Mater. If I would have decided to follow Todd Whitten to Sam Houston, I would be proud Bearkat. Good records or Bad, I have been attending athletic events in San Marcos since I arrived in the fall of 2004.

kats89
August 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
The comment was bad I admit, I simply read it and that's what came to mind. I know we all take IA transfers if we can get it so there is no fault in any school doing it. That's part of the reason I put the Larry the Cable Guy quote at the bottom. I would in fact welcome him into the SLC or the LSC (should he choose TAMU-Commerce), I think the media hype would be good for the league.

IN REGARDS TO MY PROFILE, I am and always will be a Tarleton Texan first. I will bleed purple and "Raise the Spirit of Oscar P" every chance I get for the remainder of my life. After getting my BA from Tarleton in 2004, I moved to Texas State to get my MA. I am a graduate student in our history program and I work for the university.

Am I a Bobcat because they were in the playoffs last year? NO, I have been a Bobcat since my first day on this campus. I still retain my Tarleton pride, but that doesn't stop me from supporting my other Alma Mater. If I would have decided to follow Todd Whitten to Sam Houston, I would be proud Bearkat. Good records or Bad, I have been attending athletic events in San Marcos since I arrived in the fall of 2004.

At least you know! I respect that!:hurray:

mikebigg
August 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Man you Texicans really take your football seriously! xlolx I didn't realize Nealy transferred from U of H. How many years was he at Texas State?

Note: Please don't anyone take offense to the term Texican...I use it to reflect the full Heritage of the state of Texas.

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Man you Texicans really take your football seriously! xlolx I didn't realize Nealy transferred from U of H. How many years was he at Texas State?

Nealy wore Bobcat maroon and gold for three years...

In fact, former head coach Manny Mataskis brought him to San Marcos...a jewel amongst all the 'garbage' that Mataskis brought to the program...