PDA

View Full Version : Can a seven win team make the playoffs in 2012?

dungeonjoe
November 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
What are the chances that a seven D1 victory team make the playoffs? I have my doubts that it will happen unless said team gets a conference auto-bid.

Samalum'10
November 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Homer alert! If SHSU takes care of business next week against NW St. then we should be in.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Sam Houston...

dungeonjoe
November 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
So SH will only have 7 D1 wins at the end of the season? If that is true why should they get in, if there are other teams with 8 wins?

gsu_paintballer
November 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
How many different discussions will there be on this same topic?

URMite
November 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
So SH will only have 7 D1 wins at the end of the season? If that is true why should they get in, if there are other teams with 8 wins?
They would have 7 wins and 3 losses - 2 to Baylor and Texas A&M, third likely to AQ.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
They would have 7 wins and 3 losses - 2 to Baylor and Texas A&M, third likely to AQ.

I thought you meant 2 losses to Baylor. xlolx

dungeonjoe
November 3rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
How many different discussions will there be on this same topic?
I searched for the other threads. Sorry I couldn't find them.

gsu_paintballer
November 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I searched for the other threads. Sorry I couldn't find them.

There may not be other threads, and if so, I apologize.

It just seems like this question comes up all the time the past couple weeks.

md64179
November 3rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
I honestly think a 7 win team can and will make the playoffs. That team will probably play on the road.

Nickels
November 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
I honestly think a 7 win team can and will make the playoffs. That team will probably play on the road.
Unless seeded, I believe bidding decides home or away.

URMite
November 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
7-3 with FBS game(s) may have a good chance of being in, especially with a good win or two, but the real question is "Will a four loss team get an at-large?"

Saint3333
November 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
7-3 with FBS game(s) may have a good chance of being in, especially with a good win or two, but the real question is "Will a four loss team get an at-large?"

We seem to discuss this every year with two games remaining, then there are multiple upsets leaving only 7-4 "power conference" teams vs. 8-3 non power teams. The 7-4 team with quality wins are in.

atlfcsfan
November 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
yeah seems like it has been discussed and it is always a debate.

A few weeks ago, I thought maybe App could possibly sneak in at 7-4, but since they won upset Ga Southern take them off the list. Of all the potential ones out there and with so many teams headed toward 8-3, the only one with a chance would be Sam Houston State

wmmii
November 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
in addition to Sam houston, got several possible options of a 7-4 getting in depending on the final two weeks:

Towson
Villanova

R.A.
November 4th, 2012, 12:10 AM
in addition to Sam houston, got several possible options of a 7-4 getting in depending on the final two weeks:

Towson
Villanova

Howard...

asumike83
November 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Howard...

Howard has to win out to get 7 DI wins since they played a DII. They are going to have some horrible things done to them in Statesboro next weekend.

theasushow
November 4th, 2012, 01:05 AM
If Wofford loses to UTC I honestly think they get left out...late loses kill.

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM
If Wofford loses to UTC I honestly think they get left out...late loses kill.

If they lose to UTC they won't have 7 DI wins. xeyebrowx If appy loses to Furman the socon is probably a 1 bid league.

Eaglesrus
November 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Howard has to win out to get 7 DI wins since they played a DII. They are going to have some horrible things done to them in Statesboro next weekend.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to asumike83 again."

Oh, well, I tried. Even though our injury report took another hit yesterday I gotta believe our guys will take care of business Saturday.

Nova09
November 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
there will absolutely be a 7 win team getting an at-large from at least one of the CAA, SoCon, MVFC

Thundar
November 4th, 2012, 08:18 AM
How about Indiana st, a win at YSU puts them at 8-3, but 1 win is a DII so they would be 7-3 but have. Road win against NDSU

3 teams in the Valley should finish higher would they get. Bid?

NDSUstudent
November 4th, 2012, 08:25 AM
How about Indiana st, a win at YSU puts them at 8-3, but 1 win is a DII so they would be 7-3 but have. Road win against NDSU

3 teams in the Valley should finish higher would they get. Bid?

This sounds a lot like Sam Houston as well. If they lose to Texas A&M they will be 8-3 with a DII win making them 7-3.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
This sounds a lot like Sam Houston as well. If they lose to Texas A&M they will be 8-3 with a DII win making them 7-3.

Sam probably needs the AQ or they wouldn't get in.

Engineer86
November 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM
(7-3) > (7-4) but is (7-3) > (7-4, with 2 FBS losses)
So
I would think SHSU > Towson, since both would have 2 FBS losses,
But
How would a team like ISUb fit against Towson
And
How does a Towson fit against a 7-3 Wofford, both teams are 7-2 at the FCS level

I can't wait for Nov 18!

Thundar
November 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I would say Indiana st has the better resume with a win over us, their losses are 2 ranked teams and an FBS

Will be interesting

danefan
November 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
This is going to be very interesting selection day. Someone is going to get Woofed.

NDSUstudent
November 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Moral of the story is... DO NOT SCHEDULE DII TEAMS.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Moral of the story is... DO NOT SCHEDULE DII TEAMS.

This.

URMite
November 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Likely 7-3 include:
SHSU with 2 FBS losses
Wofford with FBS loss assumes UTC win
Indiana ST with FBS loss assume YSU win
McNeese ST with 2 bad FBS wins assumes UTSA win

Likely 8 or better wins
4 Big Sky assumes win over SUU 3 possible
4 CAA assumes 2 wins over UD 5 possible 2 not out of the question
3 MVFC 2 possible
2 SoCon
2 OVC ? 4 possible

5 other AQs

SDFS
November 4th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Just throwing it out there, but if the #1 Ranked NDSU loses to both SDSU and @ISU-red. With all the other 8-3 teams are they in?

Playoff Resume:
Record against teams with a winning record: 1-3 - lone quality win will be against Youngstown St. you might be able to add S. Ill
Record against the top MVFC: 0-3
FBS win Colorado St.

I don't expect this to happen but the Number 1 Ranked NDSU football team has some work to do the next two weeks - IMO. If they lose the next two does the committee hold the non-conference cupcake schedule against them - Robert Morris and Prairie View A&M.

KATS_21
November 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I would say Indiana st has the better resume with a win over us, their losses are 2 ranked teams and an FBS

Will be interesting

Awww there it is again, "anyone that beats the Bison is the world's 2nd greatest team behind the Bison." The Kats lost to Baylor and was in a much closer game than final score reflects (Kats were up 20-10 at half). Going to College Station to face a top 15 team in Texas A&M is 99.9% a loss. The loss to UCA was the 1st game of the conference and they are now on a roll.

Regardless of where Sam goes in the playoffs, they will be very scary for every team in the country. There is no doubt that as long as they beat Northwestern St next week, they are in.

Thundar
November 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Awww there it is again, "anyone that beats the Bison is the world's 2nd greatest team behind the Bison." The Kats lost to Baylor and was in a much closer game than final score reflects (Kats were up 20-10 at half). Going to College Station to face a top 15 team in Texas A&M is 99.9% a loss. The loss to UCA was the 1st game of the conference and they are now on a roll.

Regardless of where Sam goes in the playoffs, they will be very scary for every team in the country. There is no doubt that as long as they beat Northwestern St next week, they are in.

Good lord, they beat the number1 team in the nation on the road, looks a lot better than a loss to Baylor, where did I say they were second greatest team, no where that I can see yet you quoted it?

Grow up

NDB
November 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Two words: Incarnate Word.

Four words: No top 25 victory?

Twentysix
November 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Just throwing it out there, but if the #1 Ranked NDSU loses to both SDSU and @ISU-red. With all the other 8-3 teams are they in?

Playoff Resume:
Record against teams with a winning record: 1-3 - lone quality win will be against Youngstown St. you might be able to add S. Ill
FBS win Colorado St.

I don't expect this to happen but the Number 1 Ranked NDSU football team has some work to do the next two weeks - IMO. If they lose the next two does the committee hold the non-conference cupcake schedule against them - Robert Morris and Prairie View A&M.

Even if the remaining two games are lost NDSU is in.

atlfcsfan
November 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Playoff Resume:
FBS win Colorado St.

Even though that is possible, considering they are the defending champion and if they are 8-3, there is no way they are left out. So they are essentially a lock

SDFS
November 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Even though that is possible, considering they are the defending champion and if they are 8-3, there is no way they are left out. So they are essentially a lock

So, the MVFC will have four teams in because they would finish 4th in the MVFC.... They would only have 2 semi-quality wins SIU and YSU. Plus an extremely weak non conference record with Robert Morris and PV A&M. IMO - next two weeks are very important to NDSU. If they faulter, they could drop like a rock given the non conference teams they played.

CHIP72
November 4th, 2012, 04:26 PM
In the conferences I pay most attention to that participate in the playoffs (Patriot League and CAA), I think only Towson would merit consideration at 7-4. Honestly, I think Towson would deserve to be in if they get to 7-4; they'd have some good CAA wins (New Hampshire, Villanova, Delaware, all on the road) in addition to having two of their losses coming against good Division I-A teams (Louisiana State and Kent State) and the other two coming against top-tier CAA teams (Old Dominion, James Madison). The Tigers also would have been getting better as the season progressed (4 straight wins to end the season, including 3 against the aforementioned "good" CAA teams).

SDFS
November 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Even if the remaining two games are lost NDSU is in.

Why do you think that? Again, I believe that NDSU will finish with a 9-2 record worst case.

Thundar
November 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Why do you think that? Again, I believe that NDSU will finish with a 9-2 record worst case.

Because we made it in at 7-4 in 2010, all because the FBS win, we ave that now also, that year we lost the final game of the year to MSU so yes 8-3 we are in after spending virtually the entire year at th top spot and in the top 50 Sagarin pretty hard to leave us out

Plus we travel well

mmiller_34
November 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM
NDSU will be selected even in the unlikely scenario that they finish 8-3.. Of course, the seed might be up in the air then. SDSU should finish 8-3 also, and hopeful will get a first round home game against an NEC, Patriot, or MEAC team.

NDB
November 4th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Why do you think that?

1. They are still one of the best teams in the country.

2. MONEY TALKS.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM
1. They are still one of the best teams in the country.

2. MONEY TALKS.

Money has nothing to do with anything other than which "non-seeded" teams get home games. Bids for home games are not opened until after the pairings are made.

NDB
November 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Money has nothing to do with anything other than which "non-seeded" teams get home games. Bids for home games are not opened until after the pairings are made.

oh, young grasshopper...

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM

And 8-3 NDSU with a fan base that travels well and will bid to fill the 19k dome will get in before most everyone else

Montana has been proof of this in the past, he'll they might make it this year if the ncaa needs some moneyxlolx

bluehenbillk
November 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Said it before & will say it again, no 7-win at large teams this year. No. Nope. Not gonna happen.