PDA

View Full Version : SoCon tie-breaker scenarios....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
So is this correct?

Chatty beats Wofford and Elon....GSU gets the automatic bid by virtue of the win over Wofford.

Wofford beats Chatty....App. State gets the autobid in the head-to-head against GSU since GSU and ASU have the same record against fourth-place Chatty.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
So is this correct?

Chatty beats Wofford and Elon....GSU gets the automatic bid by virtue of the win over Wofford.

Wofford beats Chatty....App. State gets the autobid in the head-to-head against GSU since GSU and ASU have the same record against fourth-place Chatty.

If Chatty wins ASU gets the autobid

They would have head to head wins over GSU and Chatty

ASUG8
November 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
WoCo>ASU
ASU>GSU
GSU>Woco

xconfusedx

I'm not really sure....I'll let the next couple of weeks play out and we'll see where we stand.

hapapp
November 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
I think in a three way tie, a coin flip determines the auto bid.

walliver
November 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
If ASU and GSU tie, ASU gets the bid
If Chatty wins out, ASU gets autobid (Chatty eliminated by going 0-2 vs other tied teams).
If Wofford beats Chatty and ASU beats FU, then it is a three way tie determined by each teams record against the 4th place team, 5th place, etc. In that scenario, it all depends on who comes in 4th. If Citadel, then WC gets auto bid, if Chatty is goes to next team, if Sammy then ASU gets outbid.
IF Wofford beats Chatty and ASU loses then WC wins head-to-head against GSU.

In practice, is ASU, GSU and WC win out, all three gets playoff spots. If ASU, GSU, and UTC win out, UTC will probably miss out for not winning 7 D-I games. This might open the door for Citadel or Samford.

walliver
November 3rd, 2012, 05:32 PM

I believe they compare records vs the 4th place team, then the 5th place team, etc.

The coin flip comes into play if all these games went the same way - this year they did not.

The coin flip takes place in years like 2001?, where ASU, GSU and FU all tied at 7-1 with no losses to other conference teams.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM

as asucrutch23 pointed out to me...

Assuming ASU beats Furman the two possibilities are Chatty Beating Wofford or Wofford beating Chatty.

If Chatty wins:
ASU wins autobid due to head to head wins over Chatty and GSU

If Wofford Wins:
A three way tie between GSU, ASU, and WC. Samford would be 4th place and would be tiebreaker. Wofford lost to Samford so they are out. ASU beat GSU head to head so ASU wins autobid.

*now, Samford may end up 4th, 5th, or 6th. If Chatty ends up 4th everyone would have beat them so it would go to 5th place team. If Citadel ends up 4th(or ahead of Samford) Wofford wins this tie breaker due to ASU and GSU both losing to Citadel.

OL FU
November 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM
My head hurts

SpiritCymbal
November 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the auto bid comes down to the ASU/FUR game no matter who wins the Wof/UTC game. If ASU wins, they get the autobid. If they lose, then GSU gets the autobid.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure the auto bid comes down to the ASU/FUR game no matter who wins the Wof/UTC game. If ASU wins, they get the autobid. If they lose, then GSU gets the autobid.

almost...

If Citadel ends up 4th place WC wins the autobid

ITmonarch10
November 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
If ASU gets the auto-bid, I bet every one of their fans will have the largest troll face smirk on their facexawesomex.

SpiritCymbal
November 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
almost...

If Citadel ends up 4th place WC wins the autobid

I'm pretty sure that Cit can't end up as the 4th place team.

(My head hurts trying to figure this out.)

utcfan
November 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Be nice to win out, but stink to miss playoffs. Would have been nice to find an FCS game to replace PC. Should have taken care of business vs JSU.

ASUG8
November 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Go back to the FBS forums.........:D

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that Cit can't end up as the 4th place team.

(My head hurts trying to figure this out.)

They can at least tie for fourth must beat furman

SpiritCymbal
November 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
They can at least tie for fourth must beat furman

Would they be considered the 4th place team since they would be tied with UTC and/or Samford and lost to both teams?

utcfan
November 3rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Go back to the FBS forums.........:D

???????

ASUG8
November 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
???????

Somehow I missed the reply with quote on the ODU post above....my bad. xpeacex

Engineer86
November 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Be nice to win out, but stink to miss playoffs. Would have been nice to find an FCS game to replace PC. Should have taken care of business vs JSU.

I was noticing that several SC teams have a DII game in their schedule. For example, WC is in a must win situation with Chatty to get to 7 wins or they have to beat South Carolina. Is it that tough to find an FCS team to play rather than a DII team. Not trolling just asking, cause like Chatty, I can't imagine teams want one less counting game on their schedule.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Would they be considered the 4th place team since they would be tied with UTC and/or Samford and lost to both teams?

Citadel beats Furman and Samford loses to Elon

That would do it.

Chatty wouldn't matter because they would have to lose to Wofford.

utcfan
November 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Presbyterian backed out to play Vandy. Paid UTC $50,000. UTC could not find a FCS team to fit the date. PC had to reschedule due to SEC schedule change when MO and TxAM joined SEC. UTC really had nobody to fill in that was FCS. UTC did not plan to play D2. Plan is to play 1 $ game each year and the other game(s) vs FCS.

millwoga1
November 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Could come down to scoring defense in an event where the other tie breaker doesn't work. That would be interesting with Wofford still to play USC and Georgia Southern still to play UGA. I wouldn't think the Wofford vs. Lincoln game would count in that scenario.

SpiritCymbal
November 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Chatty wouldn't matter because they would have to lose to Wofford.

But UTC and Citadel would have the same record in that situation and UTC beat Citadel....

Like I said...head hurts.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
But UTC and Citadel would have the same record in that situation and UTC beat Citadel....

Like I said...head hurts.

right, it doesn't matter where UTC finishes if they lose to Wofford they would have lost to all 3 GSU, ASU, and WC.

It would then go to 5th place.

5th place would be Citadel or Samford and Samford holds the tie break. The only way Citadel is ranked ahead of Samford is that case I explained above.

asknoquarter21
November 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
ASU wins the autobid if:
ASU beats Furman and Samford beats Elon Or Citadel loses to Furman Or Chattanooga beats Wofford

Wofford wins the autobid if:
Wofford beats Chattanooga and Elon beats Samford and Furman beats Citadel

GSU wins the autobid if:
Furman beats ASU

No other team can win the autobid. Chattanooga could finish with 2 losses, but both GSU and ASU hold tiebreaker over them

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
Presbyterian backed out to play Vandy. Paid UTC $50,000. UTC could not find a FCS team to fit the date. PC had to reschedule due to SEC schedule change when MO and TxAM joined SEC. UTC really had nobody to fill in that was FCS. UTC did not plan to play D2. Plan is to play 1 $ game each year and the other game(s) vs FCS.

Actually, UTC did have a contract out to a FCS team...they just kept hemming and hawing and never returned the paper work (after saying they wanted to play, then they literally stopped taking Rick Hart's phone calls)...UTC finally gave up and by that point, no one else could be found, so they went DII. I won't say who it was, but they are a State school in Savannah. ;)