PDA

View Full Version : Dear Delaware

ITmonarch10
November 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Delaware ...You got your asses pounded by Maine and UNH.
Your entire squad on offense and defense decimated by injuries. I swear you guys are like losing 3 players a game.
However the blue hens don't know what the word quit means and took it to the ODU Monarchs and Towson Tigers.
/Salute for the Blue Hens

PS... Your QB's will to win is admirable. He doesn't know the meaning of the word slide and takes hit like boss.

van
November 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hens have a proud tradition, tough year for them.

dwtime
November 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Tough year, out of the top 25 and essentially out of the playoffs with 4 CAA losses. Still a solid team as they showed today.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
The Blue Hens played their asses off today and that LB is a pure stud...Whereislou was his name I think. Dude is an animal along with that QB gutting it out and sending it to OT.

Two good teams and one hell of a game today!

MR. CHICKEN
November 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
#10 PAUL WORRILOW SR. LB 6' 230......HOMEGROWN...WILMINGTON,DELAWARE......AWK!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words - that was a devastating ending to that game. At this point with no way to get to 7 D1 wins the playoff chances are shot, but at least I can take a little bit of solace in the fact that this team should be a force to be reckoned with next year when many of the starters return and hopefully training camp isn't as injury-laden.

HailSzczur
November 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
It may be a down year, but I'm sure we're going to get one hell of a game in 2 weeks, always is a great matchup.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
The Blue Hens played their asses off today and that LB is a pure stud...Whereislou was his name I think. Dude is an animal along with that QB gutting it out and sending it to OT.

Two good teams and one hell of a game today!

any chance of you becoming a Hen fan.... there dropping like flies :D

ODUalum78
November 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Not much to dislike about UD.
Classy coach, classy fans, and a great tradition.

Inordinate amount of injuries might justify a look at the conditioning regimen, the turf, and/or the shoe contract.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM
any chance of you becoming a Hen fan.... there dropping like flies :D

I've actually been a Delaware fan since 1993 after seeing Tubby's offense and Daryl Brown & company put up the most productive ground offense against the one of the best pass offenses I'd ever seen at that point.

Even in losing, from that day forward I've always kept an eye on and rooted for a Delaware because of some sort of silly bond I've felt since that game. I said silly because it does not make a lot of sense but it is there anyway.

Always a team that has a lot of players that don't give up and play the game in a workman like fashion...always.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM
17188.....FUNNAH THIN'...U-A-H.......'CAUSE O' DAT '93 PLAY-OFF....... IN MISERYOULA.....AN' DUH DICKERSON/MONTANA MYSTIQUE......DUH GREAT STADIUM...AN' BEAUTIFUL...SURROUNDIN'S.....AH'M UH GREEN WHIFF ENVY....BIRD.....xnodx....BRAWK!

OOOOPS!...CORRECTED UH MIS-SPELLIN'.....:o...DOODLE-DOO!

Mr. C
November 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
17188.....FUNNAH THIN'...U-A-H.......'CAUSE O' DAT '93 PLAY-OFF....... IN MISERYOULA.....AN' DUH DICKERSON/MONTANA MYSTIQUE......DUH GREAT STADIUM...AN' BEAUTIFUL...SURROUNDIN'S.....AH'M UH GREEN WHIFF ENVY....BIRD.....xnodx....BRAWK!

OOOOPS!...CORRECTED UH MIS-SPELLIN'.....:o...DOODLE-DOO!

Did you witness the Ambrose-Keeler handshake? Anyone get a picture of that? Sorry I missed your tailgate, I had the Statesboro Blues on Saturday.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 4th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Did you witness the Ambrose-Keeler handshake? Anyone get a picture of that? Sorry I missed your tailgate, I had the Statesboro Blues on Saturday.

Didn't see anything special about the handshake this year, but Ambrose had a great camera moment in the 4th quarter after Hurley was hit while about to throw, the ball popped out and it was ruled an incomplete pass (in all fairness, it was probably a fumble, but that particular call went the Hen's way) and the camera went tight on Ambrose for his reaction where he clearly mouthed "Incomplete !? What the **** is that ****!"

CHIP72
November 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Question for Delaware fans - is K.C. Keeler on thin ice with the U of D administration?

HailSzczur
November 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Question for Delaware fans - is K.C. Keeler on thin ice with the U of D administration?

Unless there is something internal I would highly doubt it. In fact I would more than highly doubt it, I would flat out say it's not happening. The guys 2 years off NC appearance in which he was a measurement away from bringing home the trophy. He's been to 3 NC's and won 1. Last year's squad was on the outside of the playoff picture looking in, and this years team is the walking wounded from what I've read here. If I remember correctly didn't he just sign a about a 10 year contract a few years back? If anything he'd be moving up, I know his name was tossed around a bit when Pitt was looking for their 4th or was it 12th coach in the last few years. While I don't like Keeler, I think he's a great coach.

ITmonarch10
November 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Unless there is something internal I would highly doubt it. In fact I would more than highly doubt it, I would flat out say it's not happening. The guys 2 years off NC appearance in which he was a measurement away from bringing home the trophy. He's been to 3 NC's and won 1. Last year's squad was on the outside of the playoff picture looking in, and this years team is the walking wounded from what I've read here. If I remember correctly didn't he just sign a about a 10 year contract a few years back? If anything he'd be moving up, I know his name was tossed around a bit when Pitt was looking for their 4th or was it 12th coach in the last few years. While I don't like Keeler, I think he's a great coach.

Honestly, It Delaware's scheduling keeping them out the playoffs. They had D2 West Chester and Navy on their schedule last year and obv this year its injuries.
... Stop playing West Chester

HailSzczur
November 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Honestly, It Delaware's scheduling keeping them out the playoffs. They had D2 West Chester and Navy on their schedule last year and obv this year its injuries.

They're done now actually. They've been playing them since '68, so it's hardly been Keeler's idea I'm guessing

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM

they general consensus is he's a great CEO type and a likable guy, ex UD Linebacker, bleeds blue and gold and a nice figure head for the football program, but there ain't many Hen fans that think he's a good game day coach.... who knows what the UD admin is thinking, they just did get a new AD..... But Yes, the injuries have hurt the Hens this year, but still something seems amiss without all the injuries, attendance is shrinking, the offense is stale and every opposing CAA coach has not much to worry about when game planning for Delaware, having said that... I do like the QB Hurley and there is hope for next year if we can stay healthy

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM

17190.......NOT UH INSIDERAH....HOWEVERAH....AH'M IN AGREEMENT WHIFF...ITmonarch10........THINKIN' DUH ADMIN.....KNOWS WEST CHESTER...KEPT US OUTTAH DANCIN'......LAST SEASON...(WE'VE GONE TA PLAYOFFS FO' EVERAH....EVEN WHIFF RAM GAMES)......UH 'NOTHERAH FCS GAME...AS UH REPLACEMENT TA W.C. .....COODAH PUT US IN LAST YEAR......NAVY....NOT SO MUCH.....AS WE BEAT THEM...ALMOST AS THEY WHIP US......IT'S DUH DREADED D-II....DUH BURR UNDERAH......KEELER'S......SADDLE ......(RAMS CONTRACT IS NOW OVERAH).....OFFICAL ATTENDANCE 16252 AGIN' TOWSON.....BOUGHT TICKETS....BUT ALOTTAH 'EM DIDN'T SHOW.......STIFF WIND & CHILLY......NATIONAL TV GAME.....STUDENT NO-SHOWS.....ANYWHO....IFIN' BASKETBAL COACH....MONTE ROSS......HASN'T PINK-SLIPPED IN ALL HIS YEARS O' FUTILITY....(HIS ROUNDBALL HENS...FINALLAH...PICKED TA DO WELL DIS SEASON)......&......SAID AMOUNT O' FIRST-AIDERS...ON DUH DELAWARE SIDELINE...&....WE STILL MADE GAMES O' OL' DIMMY & TOWSON......DEN KEELER'S JOB...SHOOD'NT BE....IN JEOPARDY........xrotatehx....BRAWK!

PS.....DUH RAM GAMES DIDIN'T HURT US MUCH IN YEARS AGO....AS...DELAWARE WAS KING UH DUH MOUNTAIN...IN MEMBERSHIP TA OTHERAH CONFERENCES....BUT NOW...CAA IS TOUGH.....PARITY..ALL-OVERAH DUH PLACE!.....AH'D LIKE TA SEE SOME TRICKERY IN OURAH O.....TA JUMP START WHEN OURAH OFFENSE IS STUCK IN MUD....BUT KEELER...THINKS TRICK PLAYS ARE UN-MAN-LAH..AN WEAK.....EVEN DUH GOODIES O' I-AA USE 'EM......AWK!

CHIP72
November 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Delaware and West Chester have been rivals for a long time, and I respect the fact the Blue Hens have continued to play West Chester even though it hurts their chances at a playoff spot. I'm a strong believer in preserving rivalries if at all possible, even if one team has something to lose by continuing the rivalry. (I didn't realize the two teams' contract ended; I'm disappointed to hear that.) Besides, playing West Chester didn't hurt Delaware when they had teams that were winning or playing in the national title game.

For everybody - regarding my comment about K.C. Keeler, I can't help but think of the 2010 FCS Championship Game, when IMO lousy coaching as much as anything else allowed Delaware to blow a game they should have never lost. Mind you, as a Villanova football fan (and for that matter, a Drexel basketball fan), I didn't mind the choke job, but it's inexplicable that it actually happened. The Blue Hens seem to be slipping a bit (hopefully that slipping will continue on 11/17/12) and if I were a Delaware fan I'd be concerned about the program's long-term health.

HailSzczur
November 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
For everybody - regarding my comment about K.C. Keeler, I can't help but think of the 2010 FCS Championship Game, when IMO lousy coaching as much as anything else allowed Delaware to blow a game they should have never lost. Mind you, as a Villanova football fan (and for that matter, a Drexel basketball fan), I didn't mind the choke job, but it's inexplicable that it actually happened. The Blue Hens seem to be slipping a bit (hopefully that slipping will continue on 11/17/12) and if I were a Delaware fan I'd be concerned about the program's long-term health.

He made some bad calls in that game, and they still managed to be a errant chain away for an NC. Someone who's had success like he's had gets a little more time before he goes on the hot seat. Look at Jay Wright for Nova Bball. Lead the team to the 7 straight NCAA tourneys, a final 4, elite 8, and 2 sweet 16s. Our teams have been miserable the last 2 or 3 years, especially last year, and he's still sitting pretty. I would be amazed if Delaware made a knee jerk reaction within the next year or 2

CHIP72
November 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
He made some bad calls in that game, and they still managed to be a errant chain away for an NC. Someone who's had success like he's had gets a little more time before he goes on the hot seat. Look at Jay Wright for Nova Bball. Lead the team to the 7 straight NCAA tourneys, a final 4, elite 8, and 2 sweet 16s. Our teams have been miserable the last 2 or 3 years, especially last year, and he's still sitting pretty. I would be amazed if Delaware made a knee jerk reaction within the next year or 2

Villanova basketball really has only had one bad season (last year) since the Foye/Ray/Sumpter/Fraser/Nardi/Sheridan/Lowry team jelled in 2004-2005. I understand what you are saying and objectively I agree with it, but I just get the sense that Delaware football is on a downward slope (not that I'd mind that if that is the case). Obviously with Delaware's strong tradition of success, they may just be having a minor lull/bump in the road and will be back as a serious CAA and national title contender in the next year or two.

Off-topic - I think Jay Wright's willingness to let his players play a more NBA-style game, which works well with guys who are unselfish, have good skill, and have good basketball IQ (i.e. the key guys on the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 teams) is now biting him in the butt. Last year's team never jelled and was less than the sum of its parts. Hopefully the holdovers will have better chemistry this season and both the holdovers and new players are hungrier and play both harder and smarter than last year's group did.

HailSzczur
November 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Villanova basketball really has only had one bad season (last year) since the Foye/Ray/Sumpter/Fraser/Nardi/Sheridan/Lowry team jelled in 2004-2005. I understand what you are saying and objectively I agree with it, but I just get the sense that Delaware football is on a downward slope (not that I'd mind that if that is the case). Obviously with Delaware's strong tradition of success, they may just be having a minor lull/bump in the road and will be back as a serious CAA and national title contender in the next year or two.

Off-topic - I think Jay Wright's willingness to let his players play a more NBA-style game, which works well with guys who are unselfish, have good skill, and have good basketball IQ (i.e. the key guys on the 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 teams) is now biting him in the butt. Last year's team never jelled and was less than the sum of its parts. Hopefully the holdovers will have better chemistry this season and both the holdovers and new players are hungrier and play both harder and smarter than last year's group did.

Not to derail this thread, but it's been downhill since Cunningham, Anderson, and Clark left after the '09 Final 4. No leadership on those teams. The '10 team stockpiled early wins and tanked it down the stretched and almost got upset by RMU. There was a lot of dissent between Scottie Reynold and Corey Fisher there, no true leader. The '11 squad was much like the '10 in tanking down the stretch, except they almost missed the tourney. There was no strong leader, they were very undisciplined (Armwood cost us 2 or 3 games with technicals). Then last years team can only be described as undisciplined and young. Jay's bringing in fantastic players, he's just not getting the blue collar glue type guys to hold it together like he's had in guys like Jason Frazer, Will Sheridan, Dwayne Anderson, or Reggie Redding.

But back on UDel, I don't think they have as much to worry about as you think. Give Keeler another year or two and see if he can turn it around. I think he can and that Delaware will be fine

CHIP72
November 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Not to derail this thread, but it's been downhill since Cunningham, Anderson, and Clark left after the '09 Final 4. No leadership on those teams. The '10 team stockpiled early wins and tanked it down the stretched and almost got upset by RMU. There was a lot of dissent between Scottie Reynold and Corey Fisher there, no true leader. The '11 squad was much like the '10 in tanking down the stretch, except they almost missed the tourney. There was no strong leader, they were very undisciplined (Armwood cost us 2 or 3 games with technicals). Then last years team can only be described as undisciplined and young. Jay's bringing in fantastic players, he's just not getting the blue collar glue type guys to hold it together like he's had in guys like Jason Frazer, Will Sheridan, Dwayne Anderson, or Reggie Redding.

I pretty much concur 100%.

OK, back to the football talk about the Delaware Blue Hens in this thread.:)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 5th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Keeler is going to gameplan conservatively, it's just who he is. His approach has always been for a balanced offense with a lot of high success rate passes and runs up the gut, and a 'bend but don't break' defense that allows the short and moderate gains to prevent the big plays. It's a system that works very well when he has a team that can execute consistently, and when playing teams with more aggressive gameplans that lead to mistakes the Hens can capitalize on.

The drawback is that it can be predictable, and with a young team, or in the case of this year a team riddled with injuries relying on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players without as much experience, the consistent execution that's required to make it work just doesn't materialize. It also makes it tough to come back quickly from behind if the opposition manages to build a lead quickly.

A lot of Hen fans would love to see UD make a play to get Ryan Carty back (ex-UD QB who is now the OC at UNH). Everyone can also see that in-game adjustments have been a bit lacking. I can see the point in trying to stick to the gameplan and waiting for things to come together, but at a certain point if something isn't working, it's time to try something new.

I don't see KC going anywhere, and honestly, I wouldn't want him to. He's one of the best coaches at the FCS level, and even if he has his faults, rolling the dice on someone new could go either way. He does run a clean program - the Hens have managed to avoid the problems with drugs, poor academics, and violence that have plagued other programs.

Going into this season, after the injuries for key players during camp, a lot of people were saying that this year was more about next year, and that seems to be the case. UD only loses a few key players - Nihja White at WR, Worrilow and LB, and Tunstall at DB/KR. They're all playmakers, but we'll have some others who were injured in camp or early in the season back next year that will more than make up for it. Hurley will have a year of experience under his belt, and the O-Line will get some key players back, plus be able to practice as a unit to prepare for next year - the starting O-Line and positions weren't even set until the 4th or 5th game this season.