PDA

View Full Version : Tickets punched...

georgecostanza
November 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
15 tickets on the table...

UCA takes one with a win on Saturday over NW St. Any other bids being decided?

Order irrelevant...

1. Central Arkansas - Southland Auto
11. North Dakota State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
12. Illinois State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
13. New Hampshire - CAA - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
14. Old Dominion - CAAish - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws

LakesBison
November 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Can we sticky this and please don't post in this thread and clutter it. Thanks

Delete this too urses ....this is a great thread for George to update

URMite
November 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I like my version better!xblehx xlolx

georgecostanza
November 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
North Dakota State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
Illinois State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
New Hampshire - CAA - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
Old Dominion - CAAish - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws

georgecostanza
November 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the UCA Bears!

(subs are in...)

TheRevSFA
November 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Congrats UCA. Much deserved

BEAR
November 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
What a team! We lost so much from last year but we picked up our best player...never quit...Yeah that won't win a championship, but makes for a great run! Go Bears!

Thanks Rev!

georgecostanza
November 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Who can secure an auto-bid this weekend? Stony Brook... Anyone else?

superman7515
November 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM
If Bethune-Cookman (7-2,6-0) wins this weekend against Savannah State (1-8,0-6) they will clinch the autobid. The only team capable of tying them for the MEAC Championship would be North Carolina Central, who BCU has a head-to-head win over.

asucrutch23
November 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Who can secure an auto-bid this weekend? Stony Brook... Anyone else?

Lehigh or Colgate, Stony Brook, and Bethune Cookman could do it most easily (win and you're in). Others that can possibly do it this weekend are NAU, App State or GSU, Wagner, and UTM just to name a few.

georgecostanza
November 8th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I'm talking control your own destiny, win and you're in scenarios. Didn't realize that the winner of the 'Gate vs. Lehigh game is going. Wow.

T-Dog
November 8th, 2012, 10:20 PM
It's very possible that we know the SoCon autobid after this weekend.

-ASU could clinch it if they beat Furman and Samford beats Elon. This would cover all the tiebreakers for ASU (I think) because Samford would finish ahead of El Citadel.
-GSU clinches if ASU losses to Furman.

asucrutch23
November 8th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm talking control your own destiny, win and you're in scenarios. Didn't realize that the winner of the 'Gate vs. Lehigh game is going. Wow.

App's scenario is almost as "win and you're in" as you can get. Only way a win over Furman doesn't give us the AQ is if Wofford wins, Samford loses, and The Citadel wins (The Citadel game is actually next week). If App wins, and either Wofford loses or Samford wins this weekend, we get the AQ.

Essentially what T-Dog said, with a couple extra tidbits.

seantaylor
November 9th, 2012, 01:09 AM
It's very possible that we know the SoCon autobid after this weekend.

-ASU could clinch it if they beat Furman and Samford beats Elon. This would cover all the tiebreakers for ASU (I think) because Samford would finish ahead of El Citadel.
-GSU clinches if ASU losses to Furman.

Don't think this is right.

T-Dog
November 9th, 2012, 04:39 AM

*sigh* Here's how (I believe) it goes if ASU, Wofford and GSU are tied.

Each team is 1-1 against the other two. That solves nothing.

Under this scenario, Chatty would either finish 4th or 5th, most likely 4th. It doesn't matter because they would have lost to everyone. If Samford beats Elon, they will finish 5-3 in as low as 5th and higher than El Citadel due to the fact that they beat them. Wofford lost to Samford while ASU and GSU beat them. So then it becomes head to head and ASU beat GSU. If that isn't the case (and somehow I doubt it), then both teams lost to El Cit and beat everyone else so would they really go down to the next tiebreaker which is points given up? Somehow I doubt it. The language of the rule is vague but each tiebreaker does say "until the tie is broken", which would mean you revert back to the original once you break the three-way tie.

CB Eagle
November 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Under this scenario, Chatty would either finish 4th or 5th, most likely 4th. It doesn't matter because they would have lost to everyone. If Samford beats Elon, they will finish 5-3 in as low as 5th and higher than El Citadel due to the fact that they beat them. Wofford lost to Samford while ASU and GSU beat them. So then it becomes head to head and ASU beat GSU. If that isn't the case (and somehow I doubt it), then both teams lost to El Cit and beat everyone else so would they really go down to the next tiebreaker which is points given up? Somehow I doubt it. The language of the rule is vague but each tiebreaker does say "until the tie is broken", which would mean you revert back to the original once you break the three-way tie.

This is how I understood it to work as well.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Why do you keep arguing about this? Someone got out the SoCon tiebreaking procedures and figured it out last Saturday in the Paulson Stadium press box. The scenarios mapped out about are correct.

Go Apps
November 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
15 tickets on the table...

UCA takes one with a win on Saturday over NW St. Any other bids being decided?

Order irrelevant...

1. Central Arkansas - Southland Auto
11. North Dakota State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
12. Illinois State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
13. New Hampshire - CAA - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
14. Old Dominion - CAAish - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws

Not sure ODU is in yet - if they lose the next 2 that will mean they lost to JMU and W&M doubt that gets them in and they will be ranked outside the top 20

GSUEagles#1
November 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM

I'm not saying it is DEFINITELY one way or another, but when I read the SoCon Procedures, it did not SAY that if one of the three loses, that you go back to the beginning and do head-to-head. Which is why I felt like since there wasn't really a time that the entire tie would be broke, i felt like it would be points given up. In other words, SoCon needs to fix their rules to clarify :)

james_lawfirm
November 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying it is DEFINITELY one way or another, but when I read the SoCon Procedures, it did not SAY that if one of the three loses, that you go back to the beginning and do head-to-head. Which is why I felt like since there wasn't really a time that the entire tie would be broke, i felt like it would be points given up. In other words, SoCon needs to fix their rules to clarify :)

I read the rules to say that you do NOT go back & do a head-to-head; rather, you just keep moving down the list of teams in order of won/loss records & do a comparison with teams in the running for the AQ. If you get all the way through (e.g., if the teams vying for the AQ have all beaten or lost to the exact same teams with worse records, THEN you compare the "Fewest Points Allowed". If there's still a tie after comparing "fewest points allowed", THEN you flip a coin. There's practically no chance there will ever be another coin toss (like there was about 12 years ago) because of this fewest-points-allowed comparison.

I guess there could be a re-write of the rules to help clarify things. Although, I thought they were clear enough to understand, but not clear enough to be crystal-clear to all.

georgecostanza
November 9th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Not sure ODU is in yet - if they lose the next 2 that will mean they lost to JMU and W&M doubt that gets them in and they will be ranked outside the top 20
Nah, they're in.

SDFS
November 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM
North Dakota State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
Illinois State - MVFC - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
New Hampshire - CAA - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws
Old Dominion - CAAish - Power Conference, 8 D-I Ws

Way too early to punch any tickets other than AQs.

If NDSU finishes 8-3 they would be the fourth place team in the MVFC. The resume would have one win against a winning team S. Ill., two nonconference cupcake FCS wins and one FBS win. The playoff committee with be looking at several teams with similar resumes all with FBS wins. Not saying they out, but at 8-3 - they are at risk.

gsu_paintballer
November 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Way too early to punch any tickets other than AQs.

If NDSU finishes 8-3 they would be the fourth place team in the MVFC. The resume would have one win against a winning team S. Ill., two nonconference cupcake FCS wins and one FBS win. The playoff committee with be looking at several teams with similar resumes all with FBS wins. Not saying they out, but at 8-3 - they are at risk.

Last year's national champ isn't getting left out in that scenario. If it comes down to two 8-3 teams, with the other being marginally better than NDSU, NDSU would still get in.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Last year's national champ isn't getting left out in that scenario. If it comes down to two 8-3 teams, with the other being marginally better than NDSU, NDSU would still get in.

This.

Even in 2010, NDSU blew the final game against Mo State and got in with a 7-4 record even hosting a 1st round game against Robert Morris. They then went on the road and creamed Montana State before losing a heartbreaker to the eventual champion EWU. Conventional wisdom states that their early season win at Kansas was the tipping point.

Now because they have had so much success on the field and at the gate, the committee will never leave them out again if they are even marginally eligible.

MTfan4life
November 9th, 2012, 09:38 PM
This.

Even in 2010, NDSU blew the final game against Mo State and got in with a 7-4 record even hosting a 1st round game against Robert Morris. They then went on the road and creamed Montana State before losing a heartbreaker to the eventual champion EWU. Conventional wisdom states that their early season win at Kansas was the tipping point.

Now because they have had so much success on the field and at the gate, the committee will never leave them out again if they are even marginally eligible.

I agree with the fact that NDSU would never be left out, but please stop referencing 2010 as if it's any sort of an argument for this season. From that season, here are the top four teams with 7 or more wins that did not reach the playoffs: Liberty, Jacksonville, Dayton, and Central Connecticut State.

sgt smash
November 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I agree with the fact that NDSU would never be left out, but please stop referencing 2010 as if it's any sort of an argument for this season. From that season, here are the top four teams with 7 or more wins that did not reach the playoffs: Liberty, Jacksonville, Dayton, and Central Connecticut State.

That is a very good point.

sgt smash
November 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Then lets take a look at Bob Morris in the playoffs. What does that say about that year in FCS?

Twentysix
November 9th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Then lets take a look at Bob Morris in the playoffs. What does that say about that year in FCS?

They were the AQ from their league...

sgt smash
November 9th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Was Albany not good at all that year or was it a good year for Robert Morris?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Tell me what any one of those had in common with NDSU in 2010.

MTfan4life
November 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Tell me what any one of those had in common with NDSU in 2010.

You clearly don't understand what I was saying. You were using NDSU getting in as an at large in 2010 as a reference point for why they wouldn't get left out this season. I was simply pointing out that in 2010 the 7 win bubble was ****. Of course NDSU was going to get an at-large in 2010. The teams I listed were the first four 7 win teams that were left out. Nowhere did I say they should have been chosen instead of NDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
You clearly don't understand what I was saying. You were using NDSU getting in as an at large in 2010 as a reference point for why they wouldn't get left out this season. I was simply pointing out that in 2010 the 7 win bubble was ****. Of course NDSU was going to get an at-large in 2010. The teams I listed were the first four 7 win teams that were left out. Nowhere did I say they should have been chosen instead of NDSU.

Right, we agree. 7 win teams in 2010 are like 8 win teams this year. We both agree that NDSU would not be left out because of several different factors. I was saying that in 2010, the committee looked well beyond the simple 7 win number for NDSU. SoS, FBS win, juice at the gate, etc.

I'm also simply saying that those teams have none of those things, that's why they aren't in the same category.

kdinva
November 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Bethune-Cookman, the AQ from the MEAC with their scrimmage over Sav. State.

MTfan4life
November 10th, 2012, 11:56 PM
In an odd twist of events, Eastern Illinois somehow wins the auto bid in the OVC. Tennessee Martin was in overtime against rival tech and according to the espn box score, which could be wrong, they went for two when they could have tied the game. They got stuffed and lost control of their destiny, lost the conference championship, and possibly lost a shot at the playoffs in a far too risky gamble. Kick the extra point and make a statement in the next overtime. Congrats to Eastern Illinois for coming back to the top of the OVC.

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
In an odd twist of events, Eastern Illinois somehow wins the auto bid in the OVC. Tennessee Martin was in overtime against rival tech and according to the espn box score, which could be wrong, they went for two when they could have tied the game. They got stuffed and lost control of their destiny, lost the conference championship, and possibly lost a shot at the playoffs in a far too risky gamble. Kick the extra point and make a statement in the next overtime. Congrats to Eastern Illinois for coming back to the top of the OVC.

They also scored on a Hail Mary-type throw to tie the game with 6 seconds in regulation and converted a 4th and 19 to score TD in OT. I'd say they were probably tired of flirting with disaster and went for it all on the fake PAT.
TTU WINS!

Skyhawk71
November 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
It was a "fire" on a terrible snap that the holder couldn't bring in, the kicker tried to pick it up and run, he ran like a kicker- game over, season over

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
It was a "fire" on a terrible snap that the holder couldn't bring in, the kicker tried to pick it up and run, he ran like a kicker- game over, season over

Oh! It sounded like, to me, (I wasn't there) that it was a fake...Despite my elation (more like relief) that "we" won, I hate it for you guys to lose that way...

Skyhawk71
November 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Nah, I was there, I wish it had been a fake then it would not have been such a cluster, and Tech was coming hard so it may have worked, however, it was not- it was a fun game to watch- I saw this one coming and with the lack of defense for weeks it was bound to happen

BEAR
November 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Eastern Illinois at UCA this coming saturday..both have AQs huh? Interesting. A playoff matchup BEFORE the playoffs. xlolx

Skyhawk71
November 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Eastern Illinois at UCA this coming saturday..both have AQs huh? Interesting. A playoff matchup BEFORE the playoffs. xlolx

How wrong would it be if the selection committee made EIU turn around and come back to Conway for a playoff game?

Bear84
November 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
How wrong would it be if the selection committee made EIU turn around and come back to Conway for a playoff game?

I was wondering the same thing. Has this ever happened before, where two AQ teams play each other in the final regular game of the season?

Skyhawk71
November 11th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Have no idea, looking forward to the next four years of beat downs from UCA, love going to games in Conway, never win, but always have a good time.........