PDA

View Full Version : UMass To Renew Football Rivalry With Holy Cross

saint0917
August 8th, 2006, 09:16 AM
It's not much of a rivalry, but it's good to have Holy Cross back on our schedule.

The University of Massachusetts has announced the renewal of its football rivalry with the College of the Holy Cross. The teams will meet in a two-year home-and-home series beginning in 2007. The Minutemen will host the Crusaders on Sept. 1, 2007 at McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The following season, UMass will travel to Worcester for a Sept. 6, 2008 date at Holy Cross.

"We think it is tremendous to get Holy Cross back on our football schedule," said Athletic Director John McCutcheon. "This match-up is extremely positive for many different reasons. The history between two traditional programs, fan access and quality inter-conference play are just a few of the reasons this should prove to be a great series."

UMass To Renew Football Rivalry With Holy Cross (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080706aac.html)

GannonFan
August 8th, 2006, 09:49 AM
It's not much of a rivalry, but it's good to have Holy Cross back on our schedule.

Why isn't it? The schools are in the same state, fairly close to one another, and the series dates back to 1897 with more than 40 games since then. And the series is fairly even with Holy Cross holding a slim one game margin over UMass - it would seem like a very good rivalry and series.

LUHawker
August 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
When was the last time these teams played?

hvsader
August 8th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Fordham
August 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
That's great stuff for HC and a natural rival. Kudos to both schools for getting this done.

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Excellent, this is exactly what the Patriot League needs... presistent, high-qaulity and visible A10 OOC games.

Go...gate
August 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Good news.

hvsader
August 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
umass will not be an A10 opponent in 2008...

"...Next year will also signal the end of the Atlantic 10 Football Conference and the beginning of the Colonial Athletic Association football conference, which UMass will joins in a football-only affiliation.

The rest of the current A-10 football teams will also be in the CAA, and the North and South divisions will remain the same until 2009, when Old Dominion is slated to join the CAA South."

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM
umass will not be an A10 opponent in 2008...

"...Next year will also signal the end of the Atlantic 10 Football Conference and the beginning of the Colonial Athletic Association football conference, which UMass will joins in a football-only affiliation.

The rest of the current A-10 football teams will also be in the CAA, and the North and South divisions will remain the same until 2009, when Old Dominion is slated to join the CAA South."

Yeah that's right.. same thing, different name.. more confusion.

saint0917
August 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Why isn't it?

Because UConn was our rivalry. Holy Cross never was, and never will be.

Ivytalk
August 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I think that's downright:cool: !

I wish Harvard would schedule them again, even though our azzes would get kicked.;)

saint0917
August 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think that's downright:cool: !

I wish Harvard would schedule them again

I was just thinking the same thing, I would love to see Umass and Harvard play a home and home series. :nod: :thumbsup:

carney2
August 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Don't the Holy Cross faithful - at least those who graduated pre-1990 - consider Boston College as the big rival?

hvsader
August 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
...as I've posted before the hc-bc rivalry was huge, until they started killing us. BC also dumped HC in bball this year after 1000 years

Pard4Life
August 8th, 2006, 11:35 AM
...as I've posted before the hc-bc rivalry was huge, until they started killing us. BC also dumped HC in bball this year after 1000 years

Now that is a bad idea considering how many of the BC-HC games have been close recently. I guess tehy got scared.

However, the football rivalry was getting impractible sadly. They should play them for an IA money game for kicks, although I am against the IA games.

Maroon&White
August 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I was just thinking the same thing, I would love to see Umass and Harvard play a home and home series. :nod: :thumbsup:

Colgate series ends next season, maybe a deal with Harvard would take that spot in 2008 and beyond.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 8th, 2006, 12:24 PM

The University of Massachusetts has announced the renewal of its football rivalry with the College of the Holy Cross. The teams will meet in a two-year home-and-home series beginning in 2007. The Minutemen will host the Crusaders on Sept. 1, 2007 at McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The following season, UMass will travel to Worcester for a Sept. 6, 2008 date at Holy Cross.

"We think it is tremendous to get Holy Cross back on our football schedule," said Athletic Director John McCutcheon. "This match-up is extremely positive for many different reasons. The history between two traditional programs, fan access and quality inter-conference play are just a few of the reasons this should prove to be a great series."

UMass To Renew Football Rivalry With Holy Cross (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080706aac.html)
It's about time. With the high costs of travel and the need to build up local rivalries, it's always good to see the local schools participate against each other. Good work Umass and HC.

colorless raider
August 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Colgate series ends next season, maybe a deal with Harvard would take that spot in 2008 and beyond.
Colgate is busy signing up Stoney Brook rather than renewing UMASS. So much for "stretch" games, although clearly SB is on the way up. Colgate needs Army or Navy back on the schedule.

Maroon&White
August 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Colgate is busy signing up Stoney Brook rather than renewing UMASS. So much for "stretch" games, although clearly SB is on the way up. Colgate needs Army or Navy back on the schedule.

Which would help getting a team like Harvard on UMass' 2008 schedule.

Polywog
August 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hey Saint0917, I'm just curious: what do you think about your AD, John McCutcheon? He used to be the AD at Cal Poly and I'm wondering how he's doing there out East.

saint0917
August 9th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Hey Saint0917, I'm just curious: what do you think about your AD, John McCutcheon? He used to be the AD at Cal Poly and I'm wondering how he's doing there out East.

He's doing a good job so far.

colgate13
August 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM

uh, let's talk about the other teams on the schedule in those years. In 2008, there's also I-A Buffalo and Furman as well as Stony Brook. 2009 isn't finished. Don't make it sound like we're replacing UMass with Stony Brook. We're replacing Columbia or another Ivy with Stony Brook. BIG difference.

On topic, this is great news for Holy Cross. They should have this game a lot.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 9th, 2006, 11:09 PM
He's doing a good job so far.
And his job is going to seem very small now with the passing of his son yesterday.

saint0917
August 10th, 2006, 06:22 AM
And his job is going to seem very small now with the passing of his son yesterday.

Very sad news.

19-year-old killed in I-91 collision (http://www.masslive.com/news/topstories/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1155196359254090.xml&coll=1)