PDA

View Full Version : TxSo Hopes for Turnaround After One Win in Two Seasons

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2006, 06:27 AM
One win and 21 losses doesn't sit well with any fans or alums. Now Steve Wilson, entering his third season at the helm of the Tigers of Texas Southern has quite a bit of work to do if they want to improve.

They do have that marquee win over Alabama A&M 17-7, but the TxSo faithful can't be happy that Prairie View A&M has taken control of the Labor Day Classic.

TxSo starts with three straight games away from home with PVA&M at neutral site, Reliant Stadium and then trips to Alabama St and Div I-A New Mexico St (which hopes the TxSo game will turn around their long losing streak). TxSo also has a visit to another TSU, Texas St-San Marcos this year.

Best of luck to the Tigers this year!
---------
Texas Southern looking for more
After one win in past two seasons, Wilson's Tigers trying to rebound

By WILLIAM H. STICKNEY JR.
Houston Chronicle

Being the son of a legend and walking in the footsteps of that parent can be a daunting circumstance, no matter what path is taken.

Steve Wilson, who is beginning his third season as head coach at Texas Southern, has experienced the flip side of that coin.

"Well, it was great," Wilson said Monday. "How many people have gone to work with your dad and you go there, your dad's best friends (are members of) the Fearsome Foursome, Lamar Lundy and Deacon Jones?

"You go to training camp, and you've got Fran Tarkenton out there. Jim Brown. That isn't a bad thing, you know? You're growing up and you're around that type of environment; no, it wasn't intimidating."

Wilson is the son of "Touchdown" Tommy Wilson, who earned his nickname during an NFL career that included stops with Los Angeles (1956-61), Cleveland (1962) and Minnesota (1963).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4101037.html

HPCAT
August 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
TxSo also has a visit to another TSU, Texas St-San Marcos this year.

TXST never has and never will use the acronym of TSU to represent the University.

If you would have watched the 3 International ESPN playoff games last year, you could see that only the uninformed that are making an honest mistake, or the anal retentive that refuse to accept reality, use such an acronym when referring to TEXAS STATE.

Also, since you belong to the 1% of the world who insists on pointing out the beautiful location of this fine University, please be accurate, as there is not such an institution as Texas St-San Marcos, the legal name is Texas State University-San Marcos.

Use it or lose it. xlolx

blackfordpu
August 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
TXST never has and never will use the acronym of TSU to represent the University.

If you would have watched the 3 International ESPN playoff games last year, you could see that only the uninformed that are making an honest mistake, or the anal retentive that refuse to accept reality, use such an acronym when referring to TEXAS STATE.

Also, since you belong to the 1% of the world who insists on pointing out the beautiful location of this fine University, please be accurate, as there is not such an institution as Texas St-San Marcos, the legal name is Texas State University-San Marcos.

Use it or lose it. xlolx

Who cares what the legal name is. Everyone knows what Texas St-San Marcos is. Why waste time putting the "University" in there?

Are you bobkitties really that sensitive?

3rd Coast Tiger
August 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Another hijacked thread. :thumbsup:

slycat
August 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
im really looking forward to this game. itll be nice to play another texas school and i hope texas southern brings their band.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
im really looking forward to this game. itll be nice to play another texas school and i hope texas southern brings their band.

If Texas State pays, the "Ocean" will travel.

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Agreed...hope we see more Texas I-AA games between the SLC and SWAC schools. No reason for their not to be. I think a matchup between two Texas I-AA school does more for each school then scheduling a game between a SWAC or SLC I-AA and a sub-Div I foe from the middle of no where...

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
If Texas State pays, the "Ocean" will travel.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! BRING THE OCEAN!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

(i hope we pay, but honestly...i dunno, we'll see)

hopefully, our season will be going "unexpectedly" well by this time and we'll have to bring in temp. stands! i must admit...this is one of the games i'm most looking forward to. should be a lot of fun.:nod:

WOO HOO! TSU vs TxSt!

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Another preview of the Tigers of Texas Southern, this time from the folks in Pine Bluff...thought I'd post it up here even though we've already seen one preview because the folks from San Marcos who want to know more about their future opponent, the Tigers of Texas Southern. That first game against PVA&M will really be telling of what we can expect, eh?

HINGS CAN’T GET ANY WORSE FOR TSU
By Mike Marzelli/OF THE COMMERCIAL STAFF
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:51 AM CDT
The only way for Texas Southern to go from here is up.

Head coach Steve Wilson enters his third season at TSU in 2006, and it has been a painful couple of years for him, to say the least. The Tigers have gone 1-21 over the past two seasons, with only a stunning win at Alabama A&M in Week 3 last year to brighten their resume.

To make matters worse, Texas Southern has also lost to rival Prairie View A&M in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1963-64.

This season Wilson returns 17 starters, including preseason First Team All-SWAC running back Brent Wilson and four Second Team defenders. That should translate into things looking a little better for Wilson’s third season, but the Tigers still have an uphill climb out of the SWAC Western Division’s basement.

“A lot of these coaches [in the SWAC] are guys I’ve coached against for a long time, and they always love kicking my butt and meeting me after the game and telling me it’s OK,” Wilson joked at the league’s Media Day in July. “We’ve grown up as a team and taken some beatings and we’re better for it.”

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2006/08/23/sports/sports4.txt

mikebigg
August 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Coach Wilson's son, Brent is a good running back. I really want to see Wilson turn it around. Our game with them used to be called the Space City Classic and used to pack the Astrodome in the 60's and 70's. It lost it's luster over the time since then.

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Coach Wilson's son, Brent is a good running back. I really want to see Wilson turn it around. Our game with them used to be called the Space City Classic and used to pack the Astrodome in the 60's and 70's. It lost it's luster over the time since then.

It's a shame that the Labor Day Classic is the only big I-AA game in Houston. Years ago (not as far back as the Space City Classic), I know SHSU took on Texas Southern in the Astrodome for a few years.

There's a great deal of alums from several I-AA institutions in the Houston area. Problem is, Reliant Stadium may be too big a venue for such a game and instead, Robertson Stadium or Rice Stadium may be a more viable, cheaper option...