PDA

View Full Version : College Football Hall of Fame

Mr. C
August 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Don't know if anyone else had seen this, so I'll pass it along on the College Football Hall of Fame:

Here is the new class from the I-AA ranks, followed by the release I received: Kevin Dent, Jackson State (do they really mean Richard Dent?); John Friesz, Idaho; Ronnie Mallett, Central Arkansas (I know he must have played his career at D-II, perhaps our new UCA friends can fill us in on his career); Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State.

College Football Hall of Fame to Enshrine 20 Legends Aug. 11-12

On August 11-12, college football fans across the country will gather at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., for a series of events that will pay tribute to the storied careers of 20 of the game’s greatest stars. Out of the more than 4.5 million individuals who have played college football, only 800 players and 173 coaches have been immortalized with a place in the sport’s most hallowed institution. Established in 1951 by the National Football Foundation, the College Football Hall of Fame will recognize a Division I-A Class this week that includes: Cornelius Bennett (Alabama); Tom Curtis (Michigan); Anthony Davis (Southern California); Keith Dorney (Penn State); Jim Houston (Ohio State); John Huarte (Notre Dame); Roosevelt Leaks (Texas); Mark May (Pittsburgh); Joe Washington (Oklahoma) Paul Wiggin (Stanford); David Williams (Illinois), Coach Pat Dye (East Carolina, Wyoming, Auburn); and Coach Don Nehlen (Bowling Green, West Virginia). Players and coaches from the divisional ranks include: Kevin Dent (Jackson State); John Friesz (Idaho); Ronnie Mallett (Central Arkansas); Jerry Rice (Miss. Valley State); Coach Dick Farley (Williams - Mass.); Coach John Gagliardi (Carroll College (Mont.), St. John's (Minn.); and Coach Vernon "Skip" McCain (Maryland State College).

Baldy
August 7th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Still no Erk Russell. :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Mr. C
August 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM
What did Pat "Tie" Die and Don Nehlan do that is more significant than Erk Russell? I'll be surprised if anyone on this board can answer me that. Does anyone know if ANY I-AA coaches are represented in the Hall of Fame? You would think that Tubby Raymond and Roy Kidd should be in there.

89Hen
August 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
John Friesz, Idaho
Played golf a couple of times with him, Gus Frerotte and Chip Lohmiller when they were all Redskins. Took to calling him Tasty Friesz figuring that he must have gotten that his whole life, but the other guys acted like they never heard it before. Don't know if it stuck.

89Hen
August 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM
You would think that Tubby Raymond and Roy Kidd should be in there.
Tubby is most definately in and I think he was inducted with Kidd in the same class a couple years ago.

Mr. C
August 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Tubby is most definately in and I think he was inducted with Kidd in the same class a couple years ago.
Does anyone have a breakdown of the entire I-AA representation in the Hall of Fame? Would be cool to know.

Mr. Tiger
August 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Don't know if anyone else had seen this, so I'll pass it along on the College Football Hall of Fame:

Here is the new class from the I-AA ranks, followed by the release I received: Kevin Dent, Jackson State (do they really mean Richard Dent?);

Kevin Dent was a great player for Jackson State during some our best years in the SWAC. He was a defensive back from 1985-88 who was like a hawk. He could intercept passes and make the big hit.

Here's his bio: A fierce defensive talent, Jackson State’s Kevin Dent will become the first defensive player and third overall in school history to enter the College Football Hall of Fame, joining legends Walter Payton and Willie Richardson. A constant interception threat, Dent is the school’s only three-time First Team All-America selection (1986-88). A three-time Sheridan Black College National Defensive Player of the Year, he led the nation in interceptions in 1986 and currently ranks among the Top 25 in NCAA Division I-AA history with 21 career picks. At 6-foot-2, 196 pounds, Dent was the leader of a defense that vaulted the Tigers to three consecutive Southwest Athletic Conference championships and a remarkable 27-1 conference record. A three-time First Team All-Conference selection, he was twice named SWAC Defensive Player of the Year.

ngineer
August 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hope to see our late John Whitehead get inducted someday. Took the Engineers to "the next level". His predecessor, who began the resurrection, and Colgate alum, who returned to his alma mater and turned the Red Raiders around was Fred Dunlap:nod:

89Hen
August 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Here's what I come up with for players/coaches that were at I-AA schools while the school was I-AA (there are many more who were at current I-AA schools before I-AA began or before/after the school was I-AA):

(edit assist to Ralph)

Darrell "Dr. Victory" Mudra - Adams State, North Dakato State, Arizona, Florida State, Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa - Coach 1959-1987

Marino "The Godfather" Casem - Alabama State, Alcorn State, Southern - Coach 1963-1992

Randy Trautman - Boise State - Defensive Tackle 1978-1981

Tubby Raymond - Delaware - Coach 1966-2001

Roy Kidd - Eastern Kentucky - Coach 1964-2002

George Floyd - Eastern Kentucky - Safety 1978-1981

Tyrone McGriff - Florida A&M - Guard 1976-1979

Eddie Robinson - Grambling - Coach 1941-1997

Gordie Lockbaum - Holy Cross - Cornerback/Halfback 1984-1987

John "Big John" Merritt - Jackson State, Tennessee State - Coach 1953-1983

Mike Barber - Marshall - Wide Receiver 1985-1988

Willie "Satellite" Totten - Mississippi Valley State - Quarterback 1982-1985

Chris Ault - Nevada - Coach 1976-Present

Earle Bruce - Tampa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Northern Iowa, Colorado State - Coach 1972-1992

Carmen Cozza - Yale - Coach 1965-1996

August 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have a breakdown of the entire I-AA representation in the Hall of Fame? Would be cool to know.I-AA Coaches:
-Earle Bruce- Tampa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Northern Iowa, Colorado State Coach 1972-1992
-Marino "The Godfather" Casem- Alabama State, Alcorn State, Southern Coach 1963-1992
-Carmen Cozza- Yale Coach 1965-1996
-Roy Kidd- Eastern Kentucky Coach 1964-2002
-John "Big John" Merritt- Jackson State, Tennessee State Coach 1953-1983
-Darrell "Dr. Victory" Mudra- Adams State, North Dakato State, Arizona, Florida State, Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa Coach 1959-1987
-Tubby Raymond- Delaware Coach 1966-2001
-Eddie Robinson- Grambling Coach 1941-1997

Mr. C
August 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM
After looking at that list, I can see why Baldy thinks that Erk Russell should be in there. I wonder if the voters think Erk's head coaching career was too short?

August 7th, 2006, 10:49 PM
BTW, Earle Bruce coached only one year at I-AA (1988 Northern Iowa)

Go...gate
August 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hope to see our late John Whitehead get inducted someday. Took the Engineers to "the next level". His predecessor, who began the resurrection, and Colgate alum, who returned to his alma mater and turned the Red Raiders around was Fred Dunlap:nod:

Amen. Both Whitehead and Dunlap belong in there.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry MJ, still no Mike Buck.

blueballs
August 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Other 1-AA names off the top of my head that are notably absent: Tracy Ham, Jerry Azumah, Dave Dickerson...

August 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Each player nominated must have: (1) received major first-team All-America recognition; (2) played his last intercollegiate game at least 10 years previously; (3) retired from playing professional football; and (4) proven himself worthy as a citizen after his football career, carrying the ideals of football forward into his community.

A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement, providing he: (1) was a head coach for at least 10 years; (2) coached at least 100 games; and (3) won at least 60% of his games.http://www.collegefootball.org/halloffamers.php

ErkPeterson
August 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.collegefootball.org/halloffamers.php

By those rules Erk wouldn't get in.... He was head coach for 8 years @ Southern. If he never gets in it would be a montrosity. Whatever Board runs the Hall of fame must take a look at this.

GSUhooligan
August 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Can you not get in as just a coach, or does it have to be head coach, b/c his DC and HC tenures were incredible.

blueballs
August 8th, 2006, 05:30 PM

That would explain Dickerson and Azumah, but Tracy Ham not a HOF'er???????

Demon Fan
August 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Here's what I come up with for players/coaches that were at I-AA schools while the school was I-AA (there are many more who were at current I-AA schools before I-AA began or before/after the school was I-AA):

(edit assist to Ralph)

Darrell "Dr. Victory" Mudra - Adams State, North Dakato State, Arizona, Florida State, Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa - Coach 1959-1987

Marino "The Godfather" Casem - Alabama State, Alcorn State, Southern - Coach 1963-1992

Randy Trautman - Boise State - Defensive Tackle 1978-1981

Tubby Raymond - Delaware - Coach 1966-2001

Roy Kidd - Eastern Kentucky - Coach 1964-2002

George Floyd - Eastern Kentucky - Safety 1978-1981

Tyrone McGriff - Florida A&M - Guard 1976-1979

Eddie Robinson - Grambling - Coach 1941-1997

Gordie Lockbaum - Holy Cross - Cornerback/Halfback 1984-1987

John "Big John" Merritt - Jackson State, Tennessee State - Coach 1953-1983

Mike Barber - Marshall - Wide Receiver 1985-1988

Willie "Satellite" Totten - Mississippi Valley State - Quarterback 1982-1985

Chris Ault - Nevada - Coach 1976-Present

Earle Bruce - Tampa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Northern Iowa, Colorado State - Coach 1972-1992

Carmen Cozza - Yale - Coach 1965-1996

Gary Reasons, Linebacker at Northwestern State from 1980 thru 1983, was the first three-time All American in I-AA history. In nine NFL seasons, he helped the NY Giants win two Super Bowls. He was elected to the College Footbal Hall of Fame in 1996.

Joe Delaney, Running Back at Northwestern State from 1977-81, was 1982 AFC Rookie of the Year with the Kansas City Chiefs. He was elected to the Hall of Fame (posthumously) in 1997. Joe drowned just before his fourth season with the Chiefs in an attempt to save three young boys. He himself could not swim.

NSUDemon98
August 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Gary Reasons, Linebacker at Northwestern State from 1980 thru 1983, was the first three-time All American in I-AA history. In nine NFL seasons, he helped the NY Giants win two Super Bowls. He was elected to the College Footbal Hall of Fame in 1996.

Joe Delaney, Running Back at Northwestern State from 1977-81, was 1982 AFC Rookie of the Year with the Kansas City Chiefs. He was elected to the Hall of Fame (posthumously) in 1997. Joe drowned just before his fourth season with the Chiefs in an attempt to save three young boys. He himself could not swim.

Joe Delaney, along with Mark "not super at the time" Duper, Victor Oatis and another teammate captured the 1981 NCAA National Championship in the 400 meter relay, beating schools like Tennessee, Georgia, Arizona, and UCLA. This is NSU's only Div. I championship.

Gary Reasons was also named MVP of one of those Super Bowls. Anyone who watches any of the SLC games on FSN should know who he is bc he does some of the broadcasting.

And you can't forget Mark "Super" Duper who played with the Miami Dolphins. Along with fellow WR Mark Clayton they became known as the "Marks Brothers" and teamed up with Dan Marino.

blukeys
August 9th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I-AA Coaches:
-Earle Bruce- Tampa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Northern Iowa, Colorado State Coach 1972-1992
-Marino "The Godfather" Casem- Alabama State, Alcorn State, Southern Coach 1963-1992
-Carmen Cozza- Yale Coach 1965-1996
-Roy Kidd- Eastern Kentucky Coach 1964-2002
-John "Big John" Merritt- Jackson State, Tennessee State Coach 1953-1983
-Darrell "Dr. Victory" Mudra- Adams State, North Dakato State, Arizona, Florida State, Eastern Illinois, Northern Iowa Coach 1959-1987
-Tubby Raymond- Delaware Coach 1966-2001
-Eddie Robinson- Grambling Coach 1941-1997

Two other Delaware Coaches are also in the College Football Hall of Fame.

William Murray coached Delaware in the 1940's and got UD ranked 18th in the nation in the last poll of 1946. His Hens did not lose a game from 1940 till 1948 (No team in the war years) He left Delaware to have a very successful career at Duke.

Dave Nelson coached at Delaware from 1950 to 1965. He was the man who invented the Wing -T Offense. Nelson served as the Secretary of the NCAA rules committee for many years and was responsible for many of the changes in college football rules. The athletic complex where the Tub and the Bob are located is named after him.

More than any one person (including in my view Tubby) he was responsible for the success of Delaware football.

Both of these men coached before there was a I-AA. But both are in the Hall of Fame. I don't know if any other school has 3 coaches in the Hall of Fame.

August 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
... Both of these men coached before there was a I-AA. But both are in the Hall of Fame. I don't know if any other school has 3 coaches in the Hall of Fame.Sure, a bunch do. Columbia, Dartmouth and Penn to start if you want to count non-I-AA coaches. Many have more.

blukeys
August 9th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Sure, a bunch do. Columbia, Dartmouth and Penn to start if you want to count non-I-AA coaches. Many have more.

Thanx Ralph. Our president Roselle can now officially claim to be in the same category as Ivy League schools. Since he has spent his entire career attempting equate UD with the Ivy League he can retire a happy Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

August 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Thanx Ralph. Our president Roselle can now officially claim to be in the same category as Ivy League schools. Since he has spent his entire career attempting equate UD with the Ivy League he can retire a happy Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolxHope he likes D-III because they have multiples as well. :)

Brad82
August 9th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Tom Ehrhardt,Brian Forster and Steve Furness should be in. Furness started in one Super Bowl and Forster and Ehrhardt still among top stats.

JoltinJoe
August 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Two other Delaware Coaches are also in the College Football Hall of Fame.

William Murray coached Delaware in the 1940's and got UD ranked 18th in the nation in the last poll of 1946. His Hens did not lose a game from 1940 till 1948 (No team in the war years) He left Delaware to have a very successful career at Duke.

Dave Nelson coached at Delaware from 1950 to 1965. He was the man who invented the Wing -T Offense. Nelson served as the Secretary of the NCAA rules committee for many years and was responsible for many of the changes in college football rules. The athletic complex where the Tub and the Bob are located is named after him.

More than any one person (including in my view Tubby) he was responsible for the success of Delaware football.

Both of these men coached before there was a I-AA. But both are in the Hall of Fame. I don't know if any other school has 3 coaches in the Hall of Fame.

Fordham has two coaches in the Hall: Frank "The Iron Major" Cavanaugh and "Sleepy" Jim Crowley. Cavanaugh also had distinguished runs at Dartmouth, Holy Cross, and Boston College. It's funny but if you've ever seen the 1942 movie "The Iron Major," Cavanaugh refused to leave BC for any other job, but when the Fordham job was offered to him, he couldn't say no to such a big-time offer. Kinda funny from a 2006 perspective.

Crowley is inducted as both a player and a coach. In addition to his remarkable run as Fordham coach in the 1930s and 1940s, Crowley was one of the famed "Four Horsemen of Notre Dame" in the mid-1920s. Crowley was also one of the first athletes honored on a Wheaties box.

89Hen
August 9th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Gary Reasons, Linebacker at Northwestern State from 1980 thru 1983,

Joe Delaney, Running Back at Northwestern State from 1977-81
You guys were DII until 1987, no?

Demon Fan
August 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
You guys were DII until 1987, no?
NO. We joined I-AA at it's onset in 1976. Our head coach, at that time, was A.L. Williams a leader in the formation of I-AA. The confusion may be that NSU was a I-AA
independent from 1975 until 1984 when it joined the Gulf Star Conference (which was a I-AA conference at that time) and then joined the Southland Conference in 1987.

89Hen
August 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
NO. We joined I-AA at it's onset in 1976. Our head coach, at that time, was A.L. Williams a leader in the formation of I-AA. The confusion may be that NSU was a I-AA
independent from 1975 until 1984 when it joined the Gulf Star Conference (which was a I-AA conference at that time) and then joined the Southland Conference in 1987.
Yup, that was the confusion, sorry. A site I use for historical scores had you in the Gulf SOUTH (a DII conference) during that time. BTW, I-AA was formed in 1978.

Demon Fan
August 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yup, that was the confusion, sorry. A site I use for historical scores had you in the Gulf SOUTH (a DII conference) during that time. BTW, I-AA was formed in 1978.Right, we were in the Gulf South (Div II) from 1972 thru 1974 and before that it was called the Gulf States Conference from 1948 thru 1970.

Gulf States --- Gulf South -- Gulf Star -- Southland

I'm confused now!

89Hen
August 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Right, we were in the Gulf South (Div II) from 1972 thru 1974 and before that it was called the Gulf States Conference from 1948 thru 1970.

Gulf States --- Gulf South -- Gulf Star -- Southland

I'm confused now!
Glad I'm not alone. The Gulf South is still a DII conference, that's why I had you pegged as DII. No I-AA playoff apperances during that time seemed to confirm my wrong info. Again, sorry for the confusion.

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Glad I'm not alone. The Gulf South is still a DII conference, that's why I had you pegged as DII. No I-AA playoff apperances during that time seemed to confirm my wrong info. Again, sorry for the confusion.
Here, THIS LINK (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southland/northwestern_state/index.php) should help clear up NWST's classification during those times.

I find that COLLEGE FOOTBALL DATAWAREHOUSE (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com) is a pretty good resource for historical information...too bad it doesn't have records for every team (ie McNeese)

Demon Fan
August 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Here, THIS LINK (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southland/northwestern_state/index.php) should help clear up NWST's classification during those times.

I find that COLLEGE FOOTBALL DATAWAREHOUSE (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com) is a pretty good resource for historical information...too bad it doesn't have records for every team (ie McNeese)
Thanks G.C. That's a very interesting and informative site. I added it to my favorites.

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks G.C. That's a very interesting and informative site. I added it to my favorites.
Yeah I use it for a great deal of information and, from everything I can see, it's pretty darn accurate. I just wish they would fill in the holes (ie McNeese State)

JoltinJoe
August 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah I use it for a great deal of information and, from everything I can see, it's pretty darn accurate. I just wish they would fill in the holes (ie McNeese State)

I disagree about the accuracy about that site.

The NCAA record book should be your source.

Official 2005 NCAA Football Records Book (http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football/football_records_book/2005/2005_d1_football_records.pdf)

ngineer
August 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Under that criteria, Whitehead should get in. Unfortunately, the critera screws someone like Dunlap who took over horrible programs and built them into winners, but it took several years to do so, hence, I don't know if his winning percentage, overall, is 60%. I don't have Fred's record at Colgate, but his record at Lehigh was under .500. However, once he turned the program around at Lehigh from 1970-1975 he was well over 60%.
Lehigh only won about 4 games from 1962-1967. We were called the worst football program in the country by SI in 1964. Dunlap arrived, and with Whitehead, created from the ground up the program that has rarely had a losing season in the last 36 years.:nod: :thumbsup:

blukeys
August 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Under that criteria, Whitehead should get in. Unfortunately, the critera screws someone like Dunlap who took over horrible programs and built them into winners, but it took several years to do so, hence, I don't know if his winning percentage, overall, is 60%. I don't have Fred's record at Colgate, but his record at Lehigh was under .500. However, once he turned the program around at Lehigh from 1970-1975 he was well over 60%.
Lehigh only won about 4 games from 1962-1967. We were called the worst football program in the country by SI in 1964. Dunlap arrived, and with Whitehead, created from the ground up the program that has rarely had a losing season in the last 36 years.:nod: :thumbsup:

Lehigh was the opening game for Delaware in 1963 and they were really bad. I think the score was 30-0 but it was not that close. I have no doubt that SI considered them a terrible team in 1964. They were terrible before that!!!!!