PDA

View Full Version : The next 3 weeks: NDSU and GSU

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Okay, here's a couple of questions.

Does a GSU win over App State put us at #1 compared to a NDSU win at Missouri State? Which is a more valued win? (yes, I know all wins are valuable.) Some people are of the school of thought that if the #1 doesn't lose, they shouldn't fall from that spot. I don't know much about MSU, only that Appy has a better record (overall AND conference.)

I know that the MVC is tough, but I have to think that a win against Appy is more... "impressive?"

If so, I think we would retain #1 until after the UGA game. Does a loss to UGA drop us to #2 or lower (provided NDSU wins out.)

Thundar
October 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
If NDSU wins out they will have to do it winning 2 games on the road, one at a ranked opponent and a ranked opponent at home.

This is actually the toughest part of the schedule IMO

frozennorth
October 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Not only does GSU have to look out for NDSU, but any team that will have an additional or equal numbers of d1 wins.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
If NDSU wins out they will have to do it winning 3 games on the road, one at a ranked opponent and a ranked opponent at home.

This is actually the toughest part of the schedule IMO

3 road games? Looks like 2 away one at home.

MarkyMark
October 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Okay, here's a couple of questions.

Does a GSU win over App State put us at #1 compared to a NDSU win at Missouri State? Which is a more valued win? (yes, I know all wins are valuable.) Some people are of the school of thought that if the #1 doesn't lose, they shouldn't fall from that spot. I don't know much about MSU, only that Appy has a better record (overall AND conference.)

I know that the MVC is tough, but I have to think that a win against Appy is more... "impressive?"

If so, I think we would retain #1 until after the UGA game. Does a loss to UGA drop us to #2 or lower (provided NDSU wins out.)

At this point I don't think either team can afford to lose a game to keep their claim on a 1 or 2 seed. Does it matter if your team is the 2nd seed as opposed to being the 1st seed?

Thundar
October 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
3 road games? Looks like 2 away one at home.

Sorry hit the wrong part of the screen

kingranch
October 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
we are the reigning national champs with 1 loss to what turns out to be another playoff contender, and have an fbs win. we also spanked youre asses all over the field less than a year ago, and i mean seriously kicked youre arse. you are a one loss team to who turns out to not be a playoff contender. thems the facts bud, no chance you should be ranked higher than us at this point in time. end of argument!

344Johnson
October 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
If NDSU wins out, NDSU will be #1. Georgia Southern will lose to Georgia (I assume). NDSU will have more D-1 wins. Fewer losses. An FBS win opposed to a loss.

I really don't care about how the rankings are until playoff seeding.

IBleedYellow
October 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Just give us a playoff seed 1 or 2. Since they are placed in the opposite side of the bracket, as long as you win, you continue to play at home. Let's go Bison!

ASUG8
October 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
App sucks - beating a #14 at home isn't that impressive.

KATS_21
October 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
If either team losses to an FCS team, I think it will be tough to obtain a top 2 seed. If GSU were to beat App by 14+, my guess is that they could jump NDSU this week.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Just give us a playoff seed 1 or 2. Since they are placed in the opposite side of the bracket, as long as you win, you continue to play at home. Let's go Bison!

I'm thinking/hoping the same thing... except for the "let's go bison" part. :)

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
we are the reigning national champs with 1 loss to what turns out to be another playoff contender, and have an fbs win. we also spanked youre asses all over the field less than a year ago, and i mean seriously kicked youre arse. you are a one loss team to who turns out to not be a playoff contender. thems the facts bud, no chance you should be ranked higher than us at this point in time. end of argument!

You are quite the master baiter...

blueballs
October 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM

The part I bolded has no bearing, and I mean seriously NO bearing, on seeding this year.

One could also argue that GSU's victory over Wofford is more impressive than any NDSU victory to this point.

BTW, I am just fine with the #2 seed if that is how it turns out.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The part I bolded has no bearing, and I mean seriously NO bearing, on seeding this year.

One could also argue that GSU's victory over Wofford is more impressive than any NDSU victory to this point.

You have no idea how much I want App to win this weekend. Hopefully you get that 4 seed so you can come to the Dome again and play the 1 seed this time.

stevdock
October 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM

I don't even think that's much of an argument to be honest. The best team that NDSU has beaten has 4 losses. In my opinion, NDSU's schedule to this point has not merited a #1 seed, but if they win out and ISU-R and SDSU/SIU don't self destruct then it probably will be. Before last weekends games NDSU's 6 wins came against teams that had a total of 12 wins.

GSU Eagle
October 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
If NDSU and GSU meet again this year look for another thread of 150 plus pages.

bisonnation
October 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't even think that's much of an argument to be honest. The best team that NDSU has beaten has 4 losses. In my opinion, NDSU's schedule to this point has not merited a #1 seed, but if they win out and ISU-R and SDSU/SIU don't self destruct then it probably will be. Before last weekends games NDSU's 6 wins came against teams that had a total of 12 wins.

I don't know if I agree. I look at how good is the team you playing is playing at the time. Team reputation obviously has a role in that. Colorado State sucks but they are FBS and we kicked their *** and held them to a season low 7 points. Obviously Youngstown at the time was playing well. They were ranked #3 and beat Pitt and we kicked their ***. Northern Iowa? You can't count 2 close losses to Wisconsin and Iowa and when they were in a must win at home, when we kicked their *** that speaks well. Obviously since then they've given up. The bad Prairie View and RObert Morris wins? You can't dominate much more than that. South Dakota sucked and we held them to 78 yards of offense. Only loss is a 3 point loss to a playoff bound Indiana State team. When you throw 2 pick sixes and have a chance to win, that speaks well. SIU is a solid team and above .500. We won. That's all that matters. We can't control what the other teams do. We can only control what we do, and we have handled our business. If we're going to be a #1 or #2 seed, we need to win out. Missouri State is playing well right now and that's what matters. I'll take a 3 point win or a blowout. Their record is a little deceiving with losses to Kansas State and Louisville. SDSU and ISU Red are good teams.

stevdock
October 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Which one of those teams that we beat is better than Wofford?? That's what I was responding to.

kingranch
October 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM

REALLY? if you think the selection commite would seed you guys over us today i want whatever the hell it is youre smokin. a one loss natty champ to a playoff bound team vs a one loss georgia southern team that got spanked in the playoffs by us does not deserve to be ranked ahead of us right now, three weeks we shall see lots of tough games left for both. if we win out and you lose to georgia guess what we are still seeded above you with our fbs win and because of last years ring.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM
REALLY? if you think the selection commite would seed you guys over us today i want whatever the hell it is youre smokin. a one loss natty champ to a playoff bound team vs a one loss georgia southern team that got spanked in the playoffs by us does not deserve to be ranked ahead of us right now, three weeks we shall see lots of tough games left for both. if we win out and you lose to georgia guess what we are still seeded above you with our fbs win and because of last years ring.

Nobody said that about being #1 over NDSU 'today.' I want what you're smoking. I was asking about over the course of the next few weeks.

AND this is the second time you have mentioned last year's playoffs essentially influencing the decision making of the selection committee... THIS year...

To their credit, the other NDSU fans have at least presented some logical input on this discussion.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Wait, damnit, you masterly baited on my thread again... and I fell for it.
So... sad.

I-16Bandit
October 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
All I'm going to say is... IF IF IF IF NDSU beats us again for whatever reason this year, I might literally die of alcohol poisoning.

Downed a fifth of Jim Beam in an ~18 hour time span last year during the game and after the loss (passed out, but still went to a party that night). Might buy a whole handle if we meet again.

Cap'n Obvious
October 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM

No. Just no. Last year's playoffs don't have as much impact as you think. I used to at least respect NDSU fans but the chest pumping is rivaling GSU posters at an alarming rate. We all get it. NDSU won it last year. Congrats. Lot of football left to be played.

kingranch
October 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Wait, damnit, you masterly baited on my thread again... and I fell for it.
So... sad.

How about this? i wont masterfully bait any more if you can guarantee me that if we win out and you guys lose a close one to georgia, you and youre croanies dont go all buttbama on us like you did last year. a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Absolutely. However... it might end up being 'butt UGA' this year. :)

gasoutherneagle
October 30th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Just gonna throw a log on the fire here:

What happens if UGA's a top-5 team when we play and stay within two scores?

oooo....

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Doesn't quite have the same ring as 'buttBama' though.

NDB
October 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Just gonna throw a log on the fire here:

What happens if UGA's a top-5 team when we play and stay within two scores?

oooo....

please leave moral victories to UND.

IBleedYellow
October 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Let's let these 3 weeks play out before we start all this ****. NDSU needs to win. GSU needs to win.

I personally want to party with all you bastards down in Frisco, I'm rooting for 1/2 seed for both of us. Party in Texas. Let's roll!!

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I think we will always be proud of 'buttBama' (and hopefully buttJawja) but we get it. Not a good talking point for anyone butt us.

IBleedYellow
October 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I think we will always be proud of 'buttBama' (and hopefully buttJawja) but we get it. Not a good talking point for anyone butt us.

Don't worry, we're used to it. UND loves their moral victories. Although yours actually has something behind it...

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Let's let these 3 weeks play out before we start all this ****. NDSU needs to win. GSU needs to win.

I personally want to party with all you bastards down in Frisco, I'm rooting for 1/2 seed for both of us. Party in Texas. Let's roll!!

I'm down with that.

gsu2583
October 30th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Don't worry, we're used to it. UND loves their moral victories. Although yours actually has something behind it...

Not sure if its the administration or what, but it would be nice NOT to play a top tier SEC team as our FBS game. Hopefully it's because none of the mid or lower level teams want to play us. Might just be the $$$ though.

THE HERD
October 30th, 2012, 08:44 PM
All I'm going to say is... IF IF IF IF NDSU beats us again for whatever reason this year, I might literally die of alcohol poisoning.

Downed a fifth of Jim Beam in an ~18 hour time span last year during the game and after the loss (passed out, but still went to a party that night). Might buy a whole handle if we meet again.

That's funny stuff right there! You ever try Pendelton whiskey? Excellent *****.... Much smoother than Beam. xthumbsupx

NDB
October 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM
That's funny stuff right there! You ever try Pendelton whiskey? Excellent *****.... Much smoother than Beam. xthumbsupx

damn you herd.

after reading this i had to pour myself a drink.

my bottle of pendleton was till behind the seat in my truck from tailgating on Saturday.

i feel like a cowboy.

WOOOO!!!!!!

frozennorth
October 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM

lightweight

seantaylor
October 31st, 2012, 01:32 AM
ND has a home loss. That should speak volumes

frozennorth
October 31st, 2012, 02:25 AM

GSU lost to a 4-4 team, NDSU lost to 7-2 ISU, who i think is also better than GSU.

gsu2583
October 31st, 2012, 07:06 AM
GSU lost to a 4-4 team, NDSU lost to 7-2 ISU, who i think is also better than GSU.

I think the Citadel is 4-4 now because the have a couple of 9th graders playing linebacker right now. Just devastated by injury if I remember correctly from the last article I read about them. They certainly weren't 4-4 when we played them, and much like the NDSU loss to ISU it was a turnover issue. If they had stayed healthy on D, I think their record would be much better.

BisonBacker
October 31st, 2012, 07:14 AM

ISU is better than GSU? Hardly. Holy crap ISU blue has a suspect offense that no way in hell puts a W on the board against GSU or NDSU for that matter if both GSU and NDSU play even average on offense. ISU will make the playoffs and has a decent team but offense is where they fall short.

BisonBacker
October 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM

If GSU was at home and had an off day offensively like NDSU did at home and you played a Defense as stout as ISU's you would lose also especially if you had two turnovers that resulted in TD's by their defense.

Thundar
October 31st, 2012, 07:20 AM
If GSU was at home and had an off day offensively like NDSU did at home and you played a Defense as stout as ISU's you would lose also especially if you had two turnovers that resulted in TD's by their defense.

May as well stop arguing, it's apparent GSU who got embarrassed by the most overrated team in football history last year in the semis has made a complete 180 and are now the best in the world, nobody else stands a chance

bisonboone11
October 31st, 2012, 07:44 AM

NDSU also had a home loss last year... That really spoke volumes.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM

He forgot to say "hope this helps"

eaglewithabus
October 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Ill say this again... I had a blast in ND last year. But I have no desire at all to travel back to that frozen section of the country where the best looking girls are a 3 at best in our books. With that said, I really enjoyed the NDSU fans and think they would be an excellent group to see again for a rematch in the lonestar state.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2012, 08:08 AM
Ill say this again... I had a blast in ND last year. But I have no desire at all to travel back to that frozen section of the country where the best looking girls are a 3 at best in our books. With that said, I really enjoyed the NDSU fans and think they would be an excellent group to see again for a rematch in the lonestar state.

Aw cheap shots, how clever.

We all know that it's the bitterness over the **** stomping talking.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2012, 08:25 AM
I love how NDSU folks act like to act like the game last year as a consummate beat-down. The score was 20-7 early in the fourth when we were stopped on a short 4th and goal, and after that we went into desperation mode trying to score quickly and get 3-and-outs. Not to mention fumbles that set up NDSU's first TD and a fumble on a pass play inside the NDSU 5.

gsu2583
October 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
I love how NDSU folks act like to act like the game last year as a consummate beat-down. The score was 20-7 early in the fourth when we were stopped on a short 4th and goal, and after that we went into desperation mode trying to score quickly and get 3-and-outs. Not to mention fumbles that set up NDSU's first TD and a fumble on a pass play inside the NDSU 5.

Not so much that. More so that they are quick to note turnovers in the ISU game this year as the main reason for that loss, but don't give an opponent the same luxury. Consistency would be nice. I think people on both sides recognize that NDSU played up, and GSU played down that game. Most GSU fans, I think, just want another shot when we are performing well (even if we were to lose again) where we can say that was NOT an atypical performance for us.

I said it before, had we punched it in from the 3 or whatever, and not allowed a score on one of our fumbles, the final would have been 28-14 or 21-14. Still a loss, but a loss I could live with.

IBleedYellow
October 31st, 2012, 08:33 AM

So what you're saying is, it was close until our defense opened the game up? We all are saying that, then the game got out of hand.

NDSUstudent
October 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM
#ButBama. NDSU can't keep up with the speed of GSU... this year.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
It doesn't really matter. They will be one and two, which really puts neither at a strategic advantage over each other, unless you're superstitious and think your team plays better in a certain jersey color when they play each other.

Thundar
October 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM

Oh boy, 20-7 wow!! Admit it you got dominated, you o line was sucking air in the second qtr

Thundar
October 31st, 2012, 09:31 AM
It doesn't really matter. They will be one and two, which really puts neither at a strategic advantage over each other, unless you're superstitious and think your team plays better in a certain jersey color when they play each other.

They flip a coin for home team at the nc, we were the "home" team last year as the 2 seed

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM
Seriously, the App State thread hasn't had any action since last night. Looking ahead?

gsu2583
October 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Seriously, the App State thread hasn't had any action since last night. Looking ahead?

Players can't look ahead. Fans can. :)

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2012, 09:37 AM
If I were to guess though, if the Citadel wins their next 3 games, if App beats Furman, and Wofford wins out, I would imagine that GSU would get the nod as the top seed.

They would have lost to a playoff team, and have beaten a top 5-7 team in Wofford, and beaten another playoff team.

That resume is a smidge better than what NDSU has at this point

NoDak 4 Ever
October 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Players can't look ahead. Fans can. :)

Yep, don't worry about them. It worked so well last year.

It was probably that game that booked your trip to Fargo.

steelbison
October 31st, 2012, 09:44 AM

It would be a great time!! Just wanted to let you know we had some GSU guys stop by our tailgating area. Had a few drinks with them and took some pics. They had a GSU flag. Great guys!!

I hope GSU and NDSU are the 1 and 2 seeds. Don't care which as it makes no difference. Other than a few people here who like to make a big deal out of which team is better.

Only way to find out is if we meet this year.

Best of luck the rest of the season!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2012, 09:52 AM

We are going to need some help to get the number 2 seed. And it goes without saying that we need to beat App.

gsu2583
October 31st, 2012, 09:53 AM
Yep, don't worry about them. It worked so well last year.

It was probably that game that booked your trip to Fargo.

I forgot how much board posters have an impact on the game. Good reminder...

GSUsTALON
October 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM
I don’t understand the bickering between GSU and NDSU fans about last year’s game. NDSU won fair and square. What we have here are two impressive teams currently ranked #1 & #2 in FCS. The #1 team at the end of the season, however that may be, has some bragging rights but unlike FBS it’s only the beginning. The real #1 has to prove itself against many different offensive & defensive schemes, philosophies & player talent. This is 2012, a new year, and no one has proven their metal or anything else until that win in the playoff system. While GSU & NDSU fans are bickering about last year there are plenty of team that will participate in the playoffs this year that will be capable of giving both teams a run for the crown.

GSU has its 6 undisputed FCS championships and NDSU deserves the respect of FCS for their undisputed 2011 championship that they earned through great coaching, executing their offense & defense against all comers and the talent of their players. Their win just adds to FCS history books & once more shows why the FCS playoff system is far superior than how FBS chooses their champion.

As a GSU fan though, if by a little luck and hard work GSU was to face NDSU again in the playoffs or for the NC, remember Bison fans that GSU will be gunning for you and hell is coming with us!! ;-) Party on you big shaggy cows.

FCS PLAYOFF FAN & SUPPORTER
GSU’s TALON

cbarrier90
October 31st, 2012, 10:13 AM
I forgot how much board posters have an impact on the game. Good reminder...

You mean they don't?! xbawlingx

Blue Eagle
October 31st, 2012, 10:16 AM
...............NDSU needs to win. GSU needs to win.

From one "Bastard" to another "Bastard" I will drink to that!!