PDA

View Full Version : MVC Auto Bid

The Eagle's Cliff
October 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
If Indiana State defeats Ill St. and YSU and NDSU defeats SDSU, doesn't that give Indiana State the Auto bid?

The last three weeks with NDSU, SDSU, Ill St., and Ind St are going to be very interesting.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
If Indiana State defeats Ill St. and YSU and NDSU defeats SDSU, doesn't that give Indiana State the Auto bid?

The last three weeks with NDSU, SDSU, Ill St., and Ind St are going to be very interesting.

Yes SDSU is the only team in control of their own destiny for the autobid. If SDSU wins their games they win it, nothing else matters. For ISU-b or NDSU the other teams have to lose.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, Indiana St wins the autobid if they win out and NDSU beats SDSU (or SDSU loses any of their other last 2 games).

It's an interesting question regarding how the committee evaluates a potential 8-2 ISUb team with a head-to-head win on the road vs a potential 10-1 NDSU team. I still think NDSU is seeded higher in that scenario but it's worthy of debate.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, Indiana St wins the autobid if they win out and NDSU beats SDSU (or SDSU loses any of their other last 2 games).

It's an interesting question regarding how the committee evaluates a potential 8-2 ISUb team with a head-to-head win on the road vs a potential 10-1 NDSU team. I still think NDSU is seeded higher in that scenario but it's worthy of debate.

Even if both teams win out, NDSU is a lock for #1 or #2 Seed.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Most likely #1 since SLO and EWU lost last week. I am assuming you mean Indiana st and NDSU win out.

RabidRabbit
October 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
However, should SDSU pull the upset in Fargo, and remain tied with In St. at 7-1 in MVFC actions, Jacks would be the AQ, beating In St in Sept.

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM
NDSU's destiny is still in their own hands. If they win out, they won't get an AQ. But you can bet they will still be seeded.

NoDak 4 Ever
Most likely #1 since SLO and EWU lost last week. I am assuming you mean Indiana st and NDSU win out.

Yes, but Georgia Southern could get some love from the committee, especially with a good performance against UGA

The Eagle's Cliff

As long as NDSU wins out, I agree they'll be the #1 seed, but I don't think the last two games are gimme's for the Bison. I also think Montana State will hold true-to-form and lose to the Griz setting up NDSU and GSU both with home field advantage.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Yes SDSU is the only team in control of their own destiny for the autobid. If SDSU wins their games they win it, nothing else matters. For ISU-b or NDSU the other teams have to lose.

Feels good to be in the driver's seat. Now, if we only didn't have to play @SIU & @NDSU... Aside from the USD Doormats, its going to be a difficult finish, that's for sure.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
1. NDSU
2. GSU 65% chance, EWU 35% chance

Is how I see it assuming EWU wins out, GSU loses to UGA, NDSU wins out.

GSU lost in the beginning of the season which is their biggest aid.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Say SDSU and Indiana State wins out (which of course means NDSU loses to SDSU) what does the committee do with the MVC reps....

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
NDSU 3 seed, SDSU 5 seed, ISUb first round bye.

The Eagle's Cliff
Yes, but Georgia Southern could get some love from the committee, especially with a good performance against UGA

I'm afraid GSU will be shredded by UGA's offense and we won't be able to block UGA. UGA is also very familiar with the TO because they play Ga Tech every year. As long as we beat App and Howard, we're a lock for at least the #2 seed, because the committee pays ZERO attention to FBS losses and DII wins. The most recent evidence of this is App St losing to Florida 48-10 in 2010 and getting the #1 seed the next day.

IBleedYellow
Say SDSU and Indiana State wins out (which of course means NDSU loses to SDSU) what does the committee do with the MVC reps....

A 9-2 NDSU should still be in the playoffs, but damn, I really don't want that to happen. We need to keep our heads in these last games, Brock needs to finish strong.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I'm afraid GSU will be shredded by UGA's offense and we won't be able to block UGA. UGA is also very familiar with the TO because they play Ga Tech every year. As long as we beat App and Howard, we're a lock for at least the #2 seed, because the committee pays ZERO attention to FBS losses and DII wins. The most recent evidence of this is App St losing to Florida 48-10 in 2010 and getting the #1 seed the next day.

As much as it weirds me out, I agree with you. I was saying that the committee could look at a favorable GSU performance and tilt the #1 scales toward them.

As we learned last year, 1 and 2 clearly don't matter, it's home field till Frisco anyway.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM

You really think NDSU would get a seed above SDSU and ISUB if they lose to both of them?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
A 9-2 NDSU should still be in the playoffs, but damn, I really don't want that to happen. We need to keep our heads in these last games, Brock needs to finish strong.

This.

Just in case you were wondering, ISUb was the only team that NDSU didn't have a significant statistical advantage over, because of their stingy D. NDSU is at least a touchdown over any of their upcoming opponents.

That being said, the run needs to be much more prominently featured going forward. I'm not sure what the hell they were doing on Saturday.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
You really think NDSU would get a seed above SDSU and ISUB if they lose to both of them?

Depends how the SDSU game goes, but if it is close yes. We have an FBS win and you don't. Our loss to ISUb was very close and involved zero offensive touchdowns. We also offer the NCAA more $$$, NDSU being the higher seed is in the best interest of the playoff budget. I don't think a realistic scenario exists where ISUb would get a seed this year.

RabidRabbit
October 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Why would a seed go to a team that wasn't the conference co-champ? and other than the FBS win (vs a bottom 10 FBS) played a weak OOC? IMHO, the two teams that beat the Bison, and finish as co-champs would be seeded higher. (assumes SDSU/InSt win out).

georgecostanza
October 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
What if...
SDSU loses to NDSU
IN St. loses to IL St.
NDSU loses to IL St.

SDSU 6-2
IN St. 6-2
IL St. 6-2
NDSU 6-2

IL St. 2-0 (didn't play SDSU)
SDSU 1-1 (didn't play IL St.)
IN St. 1-2
NDSU 1-2

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
This.

Just in case you were wondering, ISUb was the only team that NDSU didn't have a significant statistical advantage over, because of their stingy D. NDSU is at least a touchdown over any of their upcoming opponents.

That being said, the run needs to be much more prominently featured going forward. I'm not sure what the hell they were doing on Saturday.

Hate to break it to you, but statistically, SDSU has a better D than Indiana State. We also proved that head-to-head with them. SDSU's defense is extremely under-rated, if you ask me.

That said, no, I do not expect us to return 2 INT's for TD's... So, we'll need to find another way to score.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Depends how the SDSU game goes, but if it is close yes. We have an FBS win and you don't. Our loss to ISUb was very close and involved zero offensive touchdowns. We also offer the NCAA more $$$, NDSU being the higher seed is in the best interest of the playoff budget. I don't think a scenario exists where ISUb would get a seed this year.

I think a lot of the FCS would cry foul. The playoffs are SUPPOSED to be about rewarding the best teams in the country throughout the season with the opportunity to prove who is the best on the field. I have a hard time believing they could justify rewarding NDSU with a higher seed than SDSU and Indiana State if the Bison drop games to both of them. I honestly could see them not rewarding any MVFC team with a seed if that happens. SDSU hasn't gotten respect all year even though we have had a very good season. IND. St. Might pull off a seed, but like I said I could see them putting all three of the teams in, and not giving us a seed. Crappy thought that may be.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
What if...
SDSU loses to NDSU
IN St. loses to IL St.
NDSU loses to IL St.

SDSU 6-2
IN St. 6-2
IL St. 6-2
NDSU 6-2

IL St. 2-0 (didn't play SDSU)
SDSU 1-1 (didn't play IL St.)
IN St. 1-2
NDSU 1-2

My mind just exploded!!! I think this is a very realistic possibility, as well.

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
My mind just exploded!!! I think this is a very realistic possibility, as well.

I would HATE to be the selection committee.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I think a lot of the FCS would cry foul. The playoffs are SUPPOSED to be about rewarding the best teams in the country throughout the season with the opportunity to prove who is the best on the field. I have a hard time believing they could justify rewarding NDSU with a higher seed than SDSU and Indiana State if the Bison drop games to both of them. I honestly could see them not rewarding any MVFC team with a seed if that happens. SDSU hasn't gotten respect all year even though we have had a very good season. IND. St. Might pull off a seed, but like I said I could see them putting all three of the teams in, and not giving us a seed. Crappy thought that may be.

Indiana state tops out at 8 DI wins. No way they get a seed. They are 6-2 with 2 games remaining.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/282/indiana-state-sycamores

click the link then get back to me.

georgecostanza
October 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Or...

IL St. wins out (6-2)
IN St. loses to IL St. and beat YSU (6-2)
NDSU beats MSU, SDSU, and loses to IL St. (6-2)
SIU wins both of their final games (6-2)

IL St. (2-1)
IN St. (2-1)
NDSU (1-2)
SIU (1-2)

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Indiana state tops out at 8 DI wins. No way they get a seed. They are 6-2 with 2 games remaining.

Good point. which brings me back to, would any MVFC team get a bid?

LeeshaJo
Or...

IL St. wins out (6-2)
IN St. loses to IL St. and beat YSU (6-2)
NDSU beats MSU, SDSU, and loses to IL St. (6-2)
SIU wins both of their final games (6-2)

IL St. (2-1)
IN St. (2-1)
NDSU (1-2)
SIU (1-2)

Can anyone say the MVFC is a Cluster right now?

Jacked_Rabbit
I would HATE to be the selection committee.

I would LOVE to be on it, and you would want me to be too... Why? Beacuse the Valley would be getting 4 teams in - even if 2 only had 7 D1 wins... xlolx

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Good point. which brings me back to, would any MVFC team get a bid?

Do you mean seed? and yes, if NDSU finishes 9-2 they will get a seed. If they finish 10-1 they will get the #1, unless GSU beats UGA.

Had the bigsky upsets not happened last week, I would be less sure of NDSU garnering a seed at 9-2. But they did, so I am.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Do you mean seed? and yes, if NDSU finishes 9-2 they will get a seed. If they finish 10-1 they will get the #1, unless GSU beats UGA.

Yea sorry meant seed... and was talking in the situation where SDSU ISUb win out.

deez_na
October 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hate to break it to you, but statistically, SDSU has a better D than Indiana State. We also proved that head-to-head with them. SDSU's defense is extremely under-rated, if you ask me.

That said, no, I do not expect us to return 2 INT's for TD's... So, we'll need to find another way to score.

statistically Indiana st is #5 in the FCS in yards allowed a game and #2 in points allowed so no SDSU's defense hasn't been better.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
statistically Indiana st is #5 in the FCS in yards allowed a game and #2 in points allowed so no SDSU's defense hasn't been better.

Meaningless details. ;)

deez_na
October 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Meaningless details. ;)

Yeah I guess so :)

NDB
October 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Money talks and bullsh#t walks.

The NCAA will put as many games in the FargoDome as they possibly can.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Indeed.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yeah I guess so :)

Seriously. Like I would post something that specific without at least looking something up.

deez_na
October 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM

That's fine with me :)

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Oh, sure, they are barely leading those two categories (SDSU is #11 & #9, respectively), but I was only talking about Rush Defense: SDSU #11 & IND. ST #22. xblehx

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Oh, sure, they are barely leading those two categories (SDSU is #11 & #9, respectively), but I was only talking about Rush Defense: SDSU #11 & IND. ST #22. xblehx

We messed up and didn't try running against them enough, when we did, the ball moved. When we passed, well, we know the results.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
That's only cuz you guys play on a grass field. If you had an artificial surface.... :D xpeacex

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Something everyone is overlooking right now is that NDSU has to go to Missouri State this weekend to face one of the hottest teams in the Valley. This Bears team is playing some of the best football they've played in the past few years. Will NDSU be favored by double-digits? Yes. Will they likely win this game by 2+ TD's? Yes. But, as we've all learned over the course of the season, anything can happen in the MVFC!!

I'm officially putting NDSU on Upset Alert. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Something everyone is overlooking right now is that NDSU has to go to Missouri State this weekend to face one of the hottest teams in the Valley. This Bears team is playing some of the best football they've played in the past few years. Will NDSU be favored by double-digits? Yes. Will they likely win this game by 2+ TD's? Yes. But, as we've all learned over the course of the season, anything can happen in the MVFC!!

SIU was also on a hot streak and we see how that ended xeyebrowx

Seriously I said almost the same thing to a co-worker today less the upset alert. I don't think we lose the game but I think it will be closer than some in Bisonland think. I just hope the guys play like they are capable. I not worried about our defense but our offense is not been anything close to stellar since the YSU game. I'd like to see us get back to the dominant offense we had and open up a can on SDSU :D

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Oh an on that note you guys have SIU and then us both on the road. Bunnies could easily see two straight weeks of losses also. This is going to be a fun ride to finish out the season and see how things sort themselves out.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Oh an on that note you guys have SIU and then us both on the road. Bunnies could easily see two straight weeks of losses also. This is going to be a fun ride to finish out the season and see how things sort themselves out.

I don't think anyone is overlooking anyone in our area...lol feels like every week has been THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR... ;) even what should be an easier game against USD isn't because it is USD.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think anyone is overlooking anyone in our area...lol feels like every week has been THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR... ;) even what should be an easier game against USD isn't because it is USD.

If we are sitting at 7 D1 wins going into the USD game and lose to them, I can promise you that I will not be seen on this message board for the rest of the year. I'm sure my wife will have to check me into some Insane Asylum back in South Dakota somewhere. Just put me on a bunch of meds and leave me locked up in a padded room somewhere. That honestly sounds like the END OF THE WORLD to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Has anyone taken a hard look at MoSt's 3 game win streak? USD, WIU and an ISUr team on the downslide.

NDSU is not one of them.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Has anyone taken a hard look at MoSt's 3 game win streak? USD, WIU and an ISUr team on the downslide.

NDSU is not one of them.

I don't think you can say ISUr is on the downslide. Agreed that the USD win wasn't impressive at all, but they did blow WIU out big time this past weekend. Hey, like I said, NDSU will likely win this by a bunch, but nothing is a gimme - similar to us playing USD at home to end the year.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM
If we are sitting at 7 D1 wins going into the USD game and lose to them, I can promise you that I will not be seen on this message board for the rest of the year. I'm sure my wife will have to check me into some Insane Asylum back in South Dakota somewhere. Just put me on a bunch of meds and leave me locked up in a padded room somewhere. That honestly sounds like the END OF THE WORLD to me.

You, you don't live in Yote country. Just bury me now if that happens. They defeat us in Brookings to keep us out of the playoffs... please just don't let it happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I don't think you can say ISUr is on the downslide. Agreed that the USD win wasn't impressive at all, but they did blow WIU out big time this past weekend. Hey, like I said, NDSU will likely win this by a bunch, but nothing is a gimme - similar to us playing USD at home to end the year.

ISUr has gone .500 in the last 4 games after barely hanging on against USD. They aren't as good as their record would indicate.

Hammerhead
October 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
My head hurts just trying to think through all of the possible MVC scenarios with 3 games to go.

frozennorth
October 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/282/indiana-state-sycamores

click the link then get back to me.
gsu got the 3 seed last year with 8 d1 wins.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
gsu got the 3 seed last year with 8 d1 wins.

That is a solid point.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I know the answer, I know the answer... just put SDSU, NDSU, Illinois State, Indiana State and Southern Ill all in the playoffs... we can be this year's CAA...

(I am kidding btw... :) am at overload on the day... )

MSUDuo
October 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
What if

IN St. 2 losses - IL St., YSU
ND St. 2 losses - MO St., SD St.
SD St. 2 losses - SIU, SD.
SIU 1 loss - WIU
IL St. 1 loss - ND St.
MO St. 2 wins - ND St., UNI

6 teams would tie at 5-3. Biggest hurdles would be SD beating SD St. and WIU beating SIU.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
What if

SIU 1 loss - WIU
IL St. 1 loss - ND St.

6 teams would tie at 5-3. Biggest hurdles would be SD beating SD St. and WIU beating SIU.

No, just no.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
No, just no.

This.

There are three legit teams in the MVFC - NDSU, SDSU, and ISUb

ISUb could get tripped up by one of their two games but unlikely.

SDSU will get mauled in the Fargodome. (just my opinion, don't care what you think)

NDSU should cream MoSt and SDSU and will likely beat ISUr, who will more than likely drop their next game against ISUb and have nothing to play for.

Someone take a look at the ISUr schedule and tell me where the tough team is so far on that thing? This team should be 7-4 by the end of the season.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM
What if

SIU 1 loss - WIU
IL St. 1 loss - ND St.

my head hurts! :(

So all of this conjecture tells me one thing... Win and let everybody else worry about themselves.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
This.

There are three legit teams in the MVFC - NDSU, SDSU, and ISUb AGREE, but there is a strong group following with ISUr, SIU, YSU.

ISUb could get tripped up by one of their two games but unlikely. Both games will be very tough; I think they go 1-1.

SDSU will get mauled in the Fargodome. (just my opinion, don't care what you think) You are entitled to your opinion. I'd like to think that we'll keep it close.

NDSU should cream MoSt and SDSU and will likely beat ISUr, who will more than likely drop their next game against ISUb and have nothing to play for. "Should" being the key word here. I'd guess you would have also said that they "should" have creamed Indiana State.

Someone take a look at the ISUr schedule and tell me where the tough team is so far on that thing? I honestly think their most impressive win thus far was last week's victory at UNI. This team should be 7-4 by the end of the season. That would not surprise me.

My responses above in Red.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 06:02 PM
My responses above in Red.

I have only a couple of retorts.

This year has proven that UNI is not a big win, period.

ISUb has one of the toughest defenses in the country. After looking at the statistics, I am not surprised that was the team that beat the Bison. The only team with a better defense than them is NDSU. A good defense will absolutely negate a good offense. Jensen made two absolutely mindless errors in that game but they still had a chance to win. Nobody is going to cream ISUb this year.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 29th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I have only a couple of retorts.

This year has proven that UNI is not a big win, period.

ISUb has one of the toughest defenses in the country. After looking at the statistics, I am not surprised that was the team that beat the Bison. The only team with a better defense than them is NDSU. A good defense will absolutely negate a good offense. Jensen made two absolutely mindless errors in that game but they still had a chance to win. Nobody is going to cream ISUb this year.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out regarding ISUr's schedule, by saying I think there most impressive win is over a UNI team that has only one D1 win. I guess you could argue that their 7 point come from behind squeeker over YSU is better, but I'm not sure it is...? Or Eastern Michigan, who would probably be a middle of the pack Valley team...? You tell me which one is better if you disagree.

It wasn't a "blow out" by any means, but Indiana State's biggest loss of the season was to SDSU, at home, by 2 TD's. They played Indiana closer on the road than they played the Jacks at home.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM
That's exactly what I was trying to point out regarding ISUr's schedule, by saying I think there most impressive win is over a UNI team that has only one D1 win. I guess you could argue that their 7 point come from behind squeeker over YSU is better, but I'm not sure it is...? Or Eastern Michigan, who would probably be a middle of the pack Valley team...? You tell me which one is better if you disagree.

It wasn't a "blow out" by any means, but Indiana State's biggest loss of the season was to SDSU, at home, by 2 TD's. They played Indiana closer on the road than they played the Jacks at home.

I'm just saying that ISUr's 7-2 is made up of a backloaded schedule. We appear to agree on this.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
It seems like the playoffs are starting this weekend in the Valley.