PDA

View Full Version : FCS in the Path of Hurricane Sandy

HensRock
October 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM
As the East coast braces for Hurricance Sandy, keep these FCS schools in your prayers.
http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath18_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Within the red area above:

Delaware State
Delaware
Howard
Georgetown
Morgan State
Towson
Penn
Villanova
Princeton
Monmouth
Lehigh
Lafayette
Bucknell
Cornell
Colgate
Albany
Harvard
UNH
Dartmouth
Maine

Plus a whole lot of other FCS schools in the region around NYC/CT/RI/Mass that is encircled by red.
(Sorry if I missed anyone)

darell1976
October 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Us North Dakotans are praying for everyone's safety.

crusader11
October 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Off the top of my head, you can add Holy Cross, Brown, CCSU, Yale, Dartmouth, Stony Brook, Marist, Sacred Heart, Bryant, Rhode Island, Fordham, Wagner, and I'm sure a few others to the list.

Sandy will affect practice this week, but I doubt it has any lingering affects on games this Saturday.

BEAR
October 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Stay safe FCS nation!

PAllen
October 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Morgan State, Towson, and others. Good luck to all.

ngineer
October 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks, brothers and sisters. I'm at the office 'battening down the hatches' before I head home. Worst to be this afternoon into Tuesday evening, for us (mid-eastern PA).

HensRock
October 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Morgan State, Towson, and others. Good luck to all.

Thanks. I meant to put them in. I don't know how I missed them. Thanks for the catch though. I just added them.

HensRock
October 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Off the top of my head, you can add Holy Cross, Brown, CCSU, Yale, Dartmouth, Stony Brook, Marist, Sacred Heart, Bryant, Rhode Island, Fordham, Wagner, and I'm sure a few others to the list.

Sandy will affect practice this week, but I doubt it has any lingering affects on games this Saturday.

I said, "in the red area above". I've already added Dartmouth, which originally I did miss. But yeah, there's a Hell of a lot of schools in the non-red North Jersey/NYC/CT/RI/Mass area.

proasu89
October 29th, 2012, 09:06 AM
We're not in the direct path but we can expect to see wind gusts of 50+ along with up to a foot of snow. Expecting long term power outages with below freezing temps. I would imagine Liberty Univ. is facing the same conditions.

BEAR
October 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Big question though: Will it wipe out the East Coast bias?

xlolx

walliver
October 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM

If power is out, it may affect a lot of games in the northeast. William and Mary was hit by a Hurricane a few years ago, and it took a couple of weeks to clean up the campus, and they had to cancel one game. If this storm is as bad as predicted, it may take a long time to get back to normal.

melloware13
October 29th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Since UD said to students to go home, I'd figure they'll have to have a dry day of everything operational before restarting classes. That being said, if the stadium is unharmed and the roads are mostly clear by Saturday, I figure the game will go on.

timmcd_123
October 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Here in Philly, working from home but still putting out NPOW. The TSN Poll will still come out - yes, I know how people feel about the poll - most of the damage so far has been on the Jersey shore.

crusader11
October 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
If power is out, it may affect a lot of games in the northeast. William and Mary was hit by a Hurricane a few years ago, and it took a couple of weeks to clean up the campus, and they had to cancel one game. If this storm is as bad as predicted, it may take a long time to get back to normal.

Good point...

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 29th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I hope your graphic is correct and Sandy skips Long Island. Already lots of down power lines but it's been pretty mild so far. I hope we don't have a repeat of Irene, where my neighborhood lost power for 5 days, or Hurricane Gloria, where it was a week. I'm worried about the flooding, though, living on an island that floods regularly without the help of hurricanes. But most of all, I'm worried that one of the Rivendell-type trees (i.e. 100+ years old and gigantic) in my yard might fall on my house, my car, or someone's head. Anyway, my family will be in attendance at Saturday's game against VMI. Go Seawolves!

As the East coast braces for Hurricance Sandy, keep these FCS schools in your prayers.
http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropprjpath18_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Within the red area above:

Delaware State
Delaware
Howard
Georgetown
Morgan State
Towson
Penn
Villanova
Princeton
Monmouth
Lehigh
Lafayette
Bucknell
Cornell
Colgate
Albany
Harvard
UNH
Dartmouth
Maine

Plus a whole lot of other FCS schools in the region around NYC/CT/RI/Mass that is encircled by red.
(Sorry if I missed anyone)

dgreco
October 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM
just because places arent in the graphic doesnt mean locations are not getting hit. Significant portions of RI and CT are already without power and already flooding.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Best wishes to all who are going to be affected. Stay safe!

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
We're prepared to lose power for up to a week. We still have power for now, the rains starting to get bad now. Nova didn't really encourage students to go home, but told them to if they wanted to.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I couldn't imagine being in one of the highrise dorms at Temple right now.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM
just because places arent in the graphic doesnt mean locations are not getting hit. Significant portions of RI and CT are already without power and already flooding.

The highest projected storm surge is outside the cones. That would be NYC and Long Island Sound. Being on the right side of the eye, the water will get pushed into both NY Harbor and Eastern Long Island Sound. I fear there will be some bad flooding along the CT coastline as well as around NY Harbor in NY and NJ, all outside the cone. I don't know how developed the North Shore of Long Island is, but the CT shoreline is virtually wall to wall cottages/houses set close to the normally placid water other than for a few parks and the cities of Bridgeport, New Haven, Norwalk, etc..

I saw that Providence closed their hurricane barrier this morning then re-opened one portion of it. It's scheduled to be being fully closed again before high tide tonight (at full moon of course xrotatehx). During the Hurricane of 1938 when the eye went into Long Island then New Haven, the storm surge in downtown Providence sent people scurrying to the third story of downtown buildings.

Dane96
October 29th, 2012, 02:50 PM
SANDY is just ****ING UP my neighborhood. Trees crushing cars, buildings, etc...and the seawall 300 yds from my house is long breached...30 foot seas about 1 mile off my shore.

LeeshaJo
October 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Football is a far second in this situation, Stay Safe everyone!!!

Dane96
October 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
This was when it was mellow...now it is way over the walls. Boston Harbor says, "Hello Downtown." It has breached the 10 foot walls.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM
D96, is that down along Commercial/Atlantic Ave?

HensRock
October 29th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Oh no! I didn't mean to imply otherwise. This storm has an extremely wide path. 40+ mph winds now from NC to Maine.
Landfall expected in southern New Jersey or Delaware. If this tracks up the Delaware Bay it can stay over water that much longer.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 29th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Well obviously I really hope you are all safe through this event and I hope your emergency services are able to get to anyone that is not.

gasoutherneagle
October 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM
What's the big deal? Hell, we'll host playoff games in that kinda weather. xsmiley_wix *cough... HUGO BOWL

gasoutherneagle
October 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
All kidding aside... Hopes and prayers go out to all you folks in the path. Good Luck... God Bless.

spdram
October 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
A bad storm, my thoughts and prayers to anyone in the way, be smart and be safe. Here in Richmond it's been raining on and off since Saturday afternoon. The real rain and wind are expected to begin in next several hours. Calling for 50 to 60 gust depending on where you are. The biggest problems will likely be downed trees and flooding. Soft ground, trees with lots of leaves and high winds don't mis well. Still cleaning up from this summer's storm, what the heck is going on!

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evidently a tree fell on a light post and started a fire on Sheehan beach about an hour ago. We haven't seen too much, but then again we haven't tried venturing out of the 3rd floor of the dorm. The wind is crazy though.

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2012, 04:23 PM
What's the big deal? Hell, we'll host playoff games in that kinda weather. xsmiley_wix *cough... HUGO BOWL

Great time to have a bye week coming up. It's like Andy Talley is psycho or something.

GeauxLions94
October 29th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hunker down everyone in the Northeast... it's going to be a bumpy ride tonight. xbadx

Dane96
October 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
D96, is that down along Commercial/Atlantic Ave?

Yes...behind the Marriott Long Wharf...a block from my house.

bonarae
October 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Saw photo #9 of this slideshow (http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/abc-readers-share-sandy-photos-17588440) today... ODU got hit hard...

Also... TSN is down... xsmhx Philly probably got hit hard.

HailSzczur
October 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Saw photo #9 of this slideshow (http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/abc-readers-share-sandy-photos-17588440) today... ODU got hit hard...

Also... TSN is down... xsmhx Philly probably got hit hard.

Not sure how bad Philly itself got hit. Septa Regional rail is out, but 80% of city buses and 60% of suburban buses are going as well as all trolley service. Nova was spared, we are fine, full power minimal amounts of trees down. Back home in chester county we lost power, but I don't think the damage was too bad.

Hope all the Jersey an Long Island folk are okay, all the guys here kept getting updates from home and it looked really bad.

BEAR
October 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Man those NYC places were deserted! Not even the rats hung around for the show. Yikes! I've seen 'em...they're a hearty bunch..and they left....let's hope rebuilding can begin soon!

Nickels
October 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Big question though: Will it wipe out the East Coast bias?

xlolx
obviously not, when hurricane Rita hit Texas their were multiple times more deaths and just as much damage but barely a mention on the national news. I've been forced to watch videos of a few fallen trees, streets with a foot of water and a broken crane and I'm supposed to act like its Hurricane Katrina. no thanks.

ngineer
October 31st, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lehigh classes closed down until Monday. Power still out in most of Lehigh and Northampton Counties. We just go our power restored two hours ago.

T-Dog
November 1st, 2012, 01:05 AM
Winds were strong enough in Boone to rip a steel fence at KBS.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2012/10/31/WE00850001/2271457/IMG3029jpg-2271457_p9.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2012/10/30/WE00848986/2269423/KnockedoverfenceASUjpg-2269423_p9.jpg

BEAR
November 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2012/10/31/WE00850001/2271457/IMG3029jpg-2271457_p9.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2012/10/30/WE00848986/2269423/KnockedoverfenceASUjpg-2269423_p9.jpg

Yikes. I hope they are checking Boone and all the other possibly affected stadiums for structure issues that might have occured due to those winds. It's not like stadiums are aerodynamic. xlolx

RichH2
November 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Dallas Cowboy stadium may be aerodynamlc.
Agree constant repititon of crane shot is annoying. 1000s of homes and businesses wiped out and millions w/o power. Coverage may seem unfair but I think that more a factor of population. NYC Metro area alone has over 18 million. Areas hit on East coast over 80 million.

gasoutherneagle
November 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Dallas Cowboy stadium may be aerodynamlc.
Agree constant repititon of crane shot is annoying. 1000s of homes and businesses wiped out and millions w/o power. Coverage may seem unfair but I think that more a factor of population. NYC Metro area alone has over 18 million. Areas hit on East coast over 80 million.

Yet, power and emergency services are coming back online quickly and no one seems to be going hungry or left with no law enforcement presence.... Humm...

Amazing how that works when the upper-classes and politicians are touched by "tragedy" in a major media area.

We in the SOUTHEASTERN hurricane corridor are all watching in stunned amazement at the ease of emergency response... BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST TIME WE'VE EVER WITNESSED IT!

boogereagle
November 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
Yet, power and emergency services are coming back online quickly and no one seems to be going hungry or left with no law enforcement presence.... Humm...

Amazing how that works when the upper-classes and politicians are touched by "tragedy" in a major media area.

We in the SOUTHEASTERN hurricane corridor are all watching in stunned amazement at the ease of emergency response... BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST TIME WE'VE EVER WITNESSED IT!

I don't know if that's the reason for the fast response --- though I don't know that it isn't the reason, either. I'd like to think it's because folks in emergency services learned from past mistakes. I could be wrong.

I do know it's gonna be bad in Georgia if one ever hits here again. Got about 2.5 times the population in Coastal Empire had back when Floyd threatened to land and our infrastructure is so far behind the growth 8-ball we'll never catch up. Hell, half the county I work in will be under water if a Cat 1 hits and GEMA planners say you need to be prepared to go without power and necessities for weeks, not days.

Bisonator
November 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM
Best wishes for all involved in this storm. Hope for a quick recovery period.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
obviously not, when hurricane Rita hit Texas their were multiple times more deaths and just as much damage but barely a mention on the national news. I've been forced to watch videos of a few fallen trees, streets with a foot of water and a broken crane and I'm supposed to act like its Hurricane Katrina. no thanks.

Happy to show you the NJ Shore, which is for all intents and purposes gone. Still no power in much of NJ and NYC. Many dead.

danefan
November 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM

No big deal. Just a few flooded basements.

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/queens-sandy-fire09.jpg

Believe me, we wish you didn't have to watch it. It means it would have never happened.

Seawolf97
November 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm seeing improvement everyday with power coming back online. When Hurricane Gloria hit us in 1985 we went 5 days without power, now we had power in 44 hours. Still alot ot be done though . 1000's of homes along the coast are gone or need major repair, roads , schools etc also were not exempt from Sandy. A school near me my not re open until January due to wind and water damage. So it is going to a be slow go.

superman7515
November 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM
obviously not, when hurricane Rita hit Texas their were multiple times more deaths and just as much damage but barely a mention on the national news.

Sandy will end up with more deaths and more expensive than Rita. Rita had 7 direct deaths and cost $15 billion. New York alone will beat both of those, not that it's a feat they desired.

ngineer
November 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
We were without power here in eastern PA for about 49 hours. Some still without, but we got off lightly compared to eastern New Jersey and NYC region. True devastation. We only have inconvenience. Prayers for the millions afftected.

Engineer86
November 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
We are going on 96 hours near Bethlehem. Lehigh sent out an email today saying classes restart Monday, but sent a specific email to kids in one dorm and off campus telling them they will likely still not have power and they should look to stay with friends in dorms with power. Around here it is mainly down trees, particularly pines. Those Jersey shore photos and NYC photos are scary. Similar to those of Ike going through Galvaston.

Monmouth is the FCS school right in the middle of things. I have not seen any photos, but being so close to the coast I can't imagine things are good. Hopefully hey can pool things together and keep the school year going.

Eaglegus2
November 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
Staten Island has had 19 reported deaths. Those 111 houses that burnt in New York were the homes of firefighters and police officers. They were other professionals who lived in that area. It is so tragic in New Jersey as well.

Nickels
November 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Sandy will end up with more deaths and more expensive than Rita. Rita had 7 direct deaths and cost $15 billion. New York alone will beat both of those, not that it's a feat they desired.
120 indirect while Sandy's indirect is 60-70, the direct deaths will be right around Ritas or less. Ike had 103 indirect, 11 direct cost $47 billion. Fact is they are all horrible storms and many people lost their lives but Rita or Ike got 10% of the national coverage of Sandy. An obvious NE bias in the media. Hell the wimpy storm last year got more coverage than Ike or Rita.

danefan
November 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
120 indirect while Sandy's indirect is 60-70, the direct deaths will be right around Ritas or less. Ike had 103 indirect, 11 direct cost $47 billion. Fact is they are all horrible storms and many people lost their lives but Rita or Ike got 10% of the national coverage of Sandy. An obvious NE bias in the media. Hell the wimpy storm last year got more coverage than Ike or Rita.

NYC is the media and financial epicenter of the WORLD. When things happen in this area more people pay attention. Doesn't make it right or wrong. It's just the way it is. What happens in NYC has huge impacts on a global level. The same can only be said for events in very few other parts of the world.

HailSzczur
November 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM

East Coast bias sure, but I mean this storm was a weather phenomena, something seen not even every 100 years. The way it combined with low pressure systems and the jet stream is very very rare, while storms like Ike, Rita, and Katrina all hit the traditional hurricane prone areas as a fierce storm during hurricane season. It got so much hype and coverage because it was moving directly at New York City, the #1 populated city in the country. NYC, the HQ for how many major corporations? Imagine the implications if NYC gets completely wiped out by a hurricane. Plus the #5 city Philly was right in it's path and other Top 50 cities of DC, Baltimore, and Boston were also affected. Imagine how crippling it could be not just to the region but the country in the world if the Eastern Seaboard is decimated.

I'm not trying to say that any of the lives lost, buildings ruined, or damaged done is more important because its the East Coast. Damage is damage in my book, human life is a terrible thing to lose in any way, and $$$ is worth the same in Texas and NY/NJ/PA.

superman7515
November 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM

90 total so far and rising, so if you're saying that 60-70 of the deaths are indirect, that means 20-30 direct which is only 300-400% more than Rita? Yeah, right around the same. You didn't mention Ike until you realized that your original argument was completely worthless, so clearly we weren't talking about that but since you brought up the financials the latest estimates for Rita from IHS are $60 billion in costs, which is 20% more than Ike. As for final death tolls, we'll see how it pans out but I didn't realize we were playing a game of whose is worse.

Nickels
November 2nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
90 total so far and rising, so if you're saying that 60-70 of the deaths are indirect, that means 20-30 direct which is only 300-400% more than Rita? Yeah, right around the same. You didn't mention Ike until you realized that your original argument was completely worthless, so clearly we weren't talking about that but since you brought up the financials the latest estimates for Rita from IHS are $60 billion in costs, which is 20% more than Ike. As for final death tolls, we'll see how it pans out but I didn't realize we were playing a game of whose is worse.How do you know how many direct deaths there were? You don't. There is still more indirect deaths for Rite listed, thats why I said that. They are relatively close. The only reason I pointed out how many, was because someone tried the skew the argument by claiming Rita's direct deaths while using Sandy's indirect deaths. But who cares? The question was something like "Will the hurricane wipe out the east coast bias" and my response was it obviously it didn't. My only point was Sandy gets mass amounts more attention than similar sized hurricanes that hit the gulf. How is my statement about Ike worthless? Ike like Rita was very destructive. (I lost a good amount in both, their interchangeable to me, hell their paths and size were even very similar) How does mentioning Ike change my point? It doesn't.

Engineer86
November 2nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
About 30 of those Ike deaths came from a bus fire while in traffic before the storm started. Here is the site of the insurance information institute http://www.iii.org/facts_statistics/catastrophes-us.html which says the loss from Ike was more like 13B. I know more east coast bias, right.

Death period are terrible. What any of these people go through is awful. I say the pictures of Ike. It was devastating. As was stated earlier the coverage of the NY area will always be greater. It is in the networks back yard and there are more people there. No one is be littling the loss elsewhere.

Apps03
November 2nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
A "my hurricane was worse than your hurricane" argument? xsmhx

danefan
November 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
A "my hurricane was worse than your hurricane" argument? xsmhx

Amazing

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM

All of the emergency response thus far has been local and state related. FEMA and the federal govt. have done little to nothing so far in NY/NJ, just like Katrina and others. Response has been better because the local authorities and utility companies were better prepared and organized. If you are mad, and I understand if you are, force your state and local governments to plan better and have more resources at their disposal for the next weather event in the SE.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
would seem like barry has a katrina like response on his hands

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I know there are facts & there are rumors all the time in these crisises, but I heard a whopper this morning that I wonder if it's true. Utility workers from Alabama & Georgia drove up to New York to assist in getting people's power back on but were told thanks but no thanks because they were non-union workers. Really?

superman7515
November 2nd, 2012, 08:03 AM
I know there are facts & there are rumors all the time in these crisises, but I heard a whopper this morning that I wonder if it's true. Utility workers from Alabama & Georgia drove up to New York to assist in getting people's power back on but were told thanks but no thanks because they were non-union workers. Really?

It was in Seaside Heights, New Jersey (not New York) and the crews were from Decatur Utilities in Alabama (but none from Georgia that I'm aware of). They were told they couldn't do any work there because they aren't union, but that it is actually typical of the area. According to the Decatur Utility folks, they received a call asking for assistance, but once they drove to New Jersey from Alabama they were told no thanks because they aren't union.

danefan
November 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
It was in Seaside Heights, New Jersey (not New York) and the crews were from Decatur Utilities in Alabama (but none from Georgia that I'm aware of). They were told they couldn't do any work there because they aren't union, but that it is actually typical of the area.

The Unions should have waived the restriction. The companies will get all the blame for delayed response, but the Unions won't do anything to help the cause.

superman7515
November 2nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
All of the emergency response thus far has been local and state related. FEMA and the federal govt. have done little to nothing so far in NY/NJ, just like Katrina and others. Response has been better because the local authorities and utility companies were better prepared and organized. If you are mad, and I understand if you are, force your state and local governments to plan better and have more resources at their disposal for the next weather event in the SE.

Most of the fire departments in the southeast are dirt poor. And I'm not saying that to be mean, we loaned out an engine for 6 months to Gulfport, Mississippi during Katrina because they didn't have the resources they need. By and large, the volunteer departments are in a bad way down there and get very little support from local government and even less from community donations. Of course there are exceptions, but many of them need a lot more than they get and people don't bother to think about the FD until they need them. Fire and police are the first to get the budgets cut, but the politicians never have a problem showing up after the ****storm to get their photo taken in a fire helmet or wearing a police jacket. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Most of the fire departments in the southeast are dirt poor. And I'm not saying that to be mean, we loaned out an engine for 6 months to Gulfport, Mississippi during Katrina because they didn't have the resources they need. By and large, the volunteer departments are in a bad way down there and get very little support from local government and even less from community donations. Of course there are exceptions, but many of them need a lot more than they get and people don't bother to think about the FD until they need them. Fire and police are the first to get the budgets cut, but the politicians never have a problem showing up after the ****storm to get their photo taken in a fire helmet or wearing a police jacket. I'll get off my soapbox now.

No doubt. Part of the extremely high taxes in NY/NJ, well most of the NE, of course creates fire and police depts. with greater resources. In short the citizens of these states pay dearly to have resources available when needed.

danefan
November 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
No doubt. Part of the extremely high taxes in NY/NJ, well most of the NE, of course creates fire and police depts. with greater resources. In short the citizens of these states pay dearly to have resources available when needed.

Exactly.

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
I keep seeing the Ike and Rita vs Irene and Sandy argument, and who cares?!? The fact of the matter is, they all did damage, and they all took lives.

If you truly want to compare disparity between storms, look at the FEMA aid for NOLA after Katrina, and look at the FEMA aid for Galveston/Houston after Ike. HUGE difference.

Sandy was unique in that it turned west and went against normal steering currents, but to combine with other weather patterns, I give you Hurricane Grace in 1991. It stayed off shore though.

I honestly feel for you guys who are affected by Sandy, and you guys are in my thoughts, and I hope those of you who lost property are able to rebuild quickly and are able to get back to a normal life.

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM

^ Truth.

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
It was in Seaside Heights, New Jersey (not New York) and the crews were from Decatur Utilities in Alabama (but none from Georgia that I'm aware of). They were told they couldn't do any work there because they aren't union, but that it is actually typical of the area. According to the Decatur Utility folks, they received a call asking for assistance, but once they drove to New Jersey from Alabama they were told no thanks because they aren't union.

That's unbelievable. My college roommate from UD lives at the shore (Brielle) and they were told after the storm hit 11-15 days for the power to come back on. I know for a fact they're without power currently, so much for time of cooperation & working together. Watch the Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc concert tonight on TV, but hey, only send money if you're in a union....

danefan
November 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
That's unbelievable. My college roommate from UD lives at the shore (Brielle) and they were told after the storm hit 11-15 days for the power to come back on. I know for a fact they're without power currently, so much for time of cooperation & working together. Watch the Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc concert tonight on TV, but hey, only send money if you're in a union....

I'm still out and we were told 10-14 days. I'll be surprised if they make it in that time. The back roads around my house are loaded with huge downed trees over wires. They haven't even gotten to a lot of these spots with cones and/or barricades yet, let alone there to fix them.

Franks Tanks
November 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm still out and we were told 10-14 days. I'll be surprised if they make it in that time. The back roads around my house are loaded with huge downed trees over wires. They haven't even gotten to a lot of these spots with cones and/or barricades yet, let alone there to fix them.

Most of Eastern PA is back up. Several thousand people are still without power, but most gas stations, grocery store and other essentials are operating. We also have crews from other states all over the place here, and hopefully they can make it over to Jersey to help soon since you guys are in much worse shape.

Southsider
November 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Most of Eastern PA is back up. Several thousand people are still without power, but most gas stations, grocery store and other essentials are operating. We also have crews from other states all over the place here, and hopefully they can make it over to Jersey to help soon since you guys are in much worse shape.

Not in Lower Saucon Twsp! Still out as of 10:30 a.m. on Friday. I think those nasty Leotards have something to do with it!!

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM

I was in college for Hurricane Rita. Parts of Nacogdoches were without power for a month.

After Hurricane Ike, it took two weeks for power, and another week for potable water.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
I was in college for Hurricane Rita. Parts of Nacogdoches were without power for a month.

After Hurricane Ike, it took two weeks for power, and another week for potable water.

normal ops, see Hugo and Andrew

TheRevSFA
November 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
normal ops, see Hugo and Andrew

That was the point. It was more to hist point of the shore being 11-15 days without power. It's norm after a storm like that.

bluehenbillk
November 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM

Bucks County seems to be the worst around the Philly area. A guy who works for me lives in Bensalem & just got power last night - said still areas around him as of drive in today that didn't have power.

kdinva
November 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
the Unions won't do anything to help the cause.

what else is new? xblahx xblehx

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
That was the point. It was more to hist point of the shore being 11-15 days without power. It's norm after a storm like that.

Oh I see, well they will say yea but that was in the dirt poor south, no way this can happen in the land of inflated everything tax

kdinva
November 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
VMI is flying on Saturday morning to Stony Brook, then immediately flying home after game, no hotel (none will guarantee lodging), ala the Steelers @ Giants on Sunday.

darell1976
November 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
As someone who had to be a refugee during the Grand Forks flood of 1997. I can relate to those hit hard in the northeast. Some things we take for granite like water, sewer, power. You never know how good you have it until you don't. I hope people get those things restored before winter hits and all that water turns to ice. I am still in shock with the power outages and the lack of fuel they are still going to run a fricken marathon. What the hell?!? A benefit concert I can see since it doesn't shut down many, many streets through all the boroughs. But a marathon? Stupid move Mr. Mayor.

WataugaDave
November 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM

There wasn't a LOT of snow in Boone, but with the wind it was absolutely hellish. A water pipe on campus burst yesterday because of the cold.

We had fun, though:
http://entremundos.com.br/revista/files/2012/10/furacao-sandy-nos-eua-09.jpg

I have friends who go to NYU and Stony Brook, they decided to stay. The guy I know at NYU spent most of the time shacked up with a friend who had power. I also know a guy at Cooper Union in NYC who went rushing home and will be there until classes resume on Monday rather than trying to 'ride it out.' From what I gather, every NYC-area college except for Columbia has stayed closed through this week. Though with NYU and Cooper Union being in central Manhattan, it might be longer.

Of course, all my friends on the Outer Banks rode it out. One guy I know, just like when Irene hit, just stayed in his house with his father, some food, and a few cases of beer. Seems like a fun way to spend a hurricane.

Lehigh'98
November 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Marathon cancelled. At least they got it right even though it took too long.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I was on the Stony Brook University campus today. They have their own power plant (for the campus only) and all the wires are underground so they didn't lose power for a minute. All is well and normal. Of course, you go off campus in Stony Brook village and it looks like a war zone with 100 year old trees blocking most roads and people waiting in eternal lines for gas. Perhaps the best lesson from this is to get rid of our antiquated power lines system.

superman7515
November 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
I was on the Stony Brook University campus today. They have their own power plant (for the campus only) and all the wires are underground so they didn't lose power for a minute. All is well and normal. Of course, you go off campus in Stony Brook village and it looks like a war zone with 100 year old trees blocking most roads and people waiting in eternal lines for gas. Perhaps the best lesson from this is to get rid of our antiquated power lines system.

There has been no evidence that burying the lines actually solves the problems because although the problems are fewer, they take longer to find and fix and cost more money, so it at best balances out and usually costs more in the long run by burying them.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
There has been no evidence that burying the lines actually solves the problems because although the problems are fewer, they take longer to find and fix and cost more money, so it at best balances out and usually costs more in the long run by burying them.

Well then how about we just make a law that no trees shall be taller than 10 feet.

JMUNJ08
November 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
Well then how about we just make a law that no trees shall be taller than 10 feet.

I seconded that law xlolx

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM

The blizzard of 1888 in NYC changed the perspective of above/below ground wires. The blizzard toppled almost the entire telegraph and electrical system in NYC at the time. As a result, they buried the utilities underground. Of course, NYC is affected now because a substation blew-up... can't really control that from happening.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Not in Lower Saucon Twsp! Still out as of 10:30 a.m. on Friday. I think those nasty Leotards have something to do with it!!

GOOD! I hope it never comes on over there...

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I am hearing that it will be 6-8 months before people can return to live on LBI in New Jersey. It does not sound unreasonable given the threads I've read above.

I don't know why so many people are in shock and awe about this happening in New Jersey, and I am from the area. It is a very low barrier island, with hardly any dunes. It is extremely overbuilt. And, it has a very long history of destructive storms and hurricanes starting from colonial times until the early 20th century... there was a hurricane that hit hard in 1903 and washed away much of the existing shore community infrastructure, including rail lines. My relatives say there were some close calls in 1944 and 1962, but that's it. Everyone discovered the shore after WW2 and it was overdeveloped. In fact, the Jersey Shore has been extremely lucky, given its history, that nothing happened from 1945 until now. We were on borrowed time. Plus, many of the early homes that were built on those barrier island were really just $1000 summer shacks ONLY. In recent decades, people started building massively expensive homes in areas such as Seaside Park and people began living there year round.

I'm not saying it was deserved by any means, but instead, that everyone should pay more attention to the history of the area and not be so shocked that this happened. Building in these areas is another question entirely.