PDA

View Full Version : The New Johnson Hagood Stadium

MarkCCU
August 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
http://origin.xosn.com/pics12/400/CX/CXANGTKBQUTWPOF.20060714222100.jpg
http://origin.xosn.com/pics26/400/GH/GHBRHTYHPFZZEUV.20060714221841.jpg

Of course these are artist renderings, but it'll look pretty good. Gadfly and I drove by it Friday(Saturday morning) and the seats are up on the Homeside, it needs to be finished on the outside. I doubt seriously that it'll be ready in a few weeks

TxSt02
August 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM
looking good

GeauxColonels
August 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
http://origin.xosn.com/pics12/400/CX/CXANGTKBQUTWPOF.20060714222100.jpg
http://origin.xosn.com/pics26/400/GH/GHBRHTYHPFZZEUV.20060714221841.jpg

Of course these are artist renderings, but it'll look pretty good. Gadfly and I drove by it Friday(Saturday morning) and the seats are up on the Homeside, it needs to be finished on the outside. I doubt seriously that it'll be ready in a few weeks
Forgive my ignorance, but what school is the stadium for?

BULLDOG8180
August 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what school is the stadium for?

The Citadel Bulldogs- Charleston SC:thumbsup:

carney2
August 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
What's the capacity?

What kind of crowds do you get, on average?

How do the home folks feel about coach Kevin Higgins? He is still perceived as a god at Lehigh. Would love to see a Lehigh-Citadel match while Higgins is still in Charleston, but alas.

BULLDOG8180
August 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
What's the capacity?

What kind of crowds do you get, on average?

How do the home folks feel about coach Kevin Higgins? He is still perceived as a god at Lehigh. Would love to see a Lehigh-Citadel match while Higgins is still in Charleston, but alas.

Capacity will be at 21,000

on average, 15,000 to 17,000 usually. Attendance has been off the last two years because of the construction.

So far, very impressed with Higgins. Hope he stays for awhile so we can really see what he can do.

carney2
August 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM

on average, 15,000 to 17,000 usually. Attendance has been off the last two years because of the construction.

So far, very impressed with Higgins. Hope he stays for awhile so we can really see what he can do.

Thanks. A first class facility. Congrats.

Unfortunately, I think that Coach Higgins is a man on the move. Enjoy him while you can.

Go...gate
August 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Beautiful facility.

OL FU
August 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I have never seen it less than full:D

GeauxColonels
August 7th, 2006, 12:19 PM
The Citadel Bulldogs- Charleston SC:thumbsup:
OK, thanks. I thought so, I just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly.

Looks GREAT btw.

MarkCCU
August 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM

must've not been there in the mid 1990's

OL FU
August 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
must've not been there in the mid 1990's

Late 80's and early 90's mostly. Always big enthusiatic crowds. :nod:

fuEMO
August 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
thank goodness…

The Furman/Citadel game last year SUCKED!! I had to take my wife shopping downtown to make up for the experience. Back in the 80's Furman/Citadel was a packed house Charleston or Greenville. I just hope you add some decent paved parking lots.

MarkCCU
August 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
thank goodness…

The Furman/Citadel game last year SUCKED!! I had to take my wife shopping downtown to make up for the experience. Back in the 80's Furman/Citadel was a packed house Charleston or Greenville. I just hope you add some decent paved parking lots.

No, but there are huge parking lots located a block away that are used for the baseball stadium and courthouse

Bulldog87
August 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
The stadium looks 1st class. Hopefully there'll be a home and home with El-Cid in the future. We'll be adding to our stadium in the near future. Playing Furman and GA Southern would be nice at some point also.

sceagle
August 8th, 2006, 08:53 PM
As a Georgia Southern fan I would love to play SC State. They would bring a lot of fans, we would have a lot travel up to Orangeburg and Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium is a great place to watch a game. I've always been kind of an SC State fan. I grew up in Columbia and my sunday mornings consisted of church followed by the Willie Jeffries Show.

BULLDOG8180
August 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Yeah, when Hurman is in town it fills it up.:eek:

Mr. C
August 8th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks. A first class facility. Congrats.

Unfortunately, I think that Coach Higgins is a man on the move. Enjoy him while you can.
Kevin has a daughter who just started high school. When he took the job last year, he said he was commiting to The Citadel for a minimum of four years, so his daughter could finish high school in one place. Everything I have seen of Higgins so far says he is a man of his word. I've been extremely impressed with him. He is also a very nice guy. Was similarly impressed with Pete Lembo when I met him at the SoCon rouser a couple of weeks ago.

The Gadfly
August 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM
The stadium is still not finished. Right now it has no outer wall on the home side. I don't see them finishing it up by the time "Throwdown In Chucktown" is here. Hope it happens, but doubtful. :(

adrianb
August 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
http://www.charleston.net/assets/images/News/dailyLeads/8_6_2006_sports.jpg

Pic from Sunday's Charleston Post (http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=sports&tableId=101157&pubDate=8/6/2006) with article

BULLDOG8180
August 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM
thank goodness…

You must have gone to a different game than I did. The triple overtime thriller only could have been better if the Bulldogs had come out on top.

As for paved parking lots, when did that become a necessity? I have never parked in a paved parking lot at Furman.

Maybe next time, you just need to leave your wife at home!:thumbsup:

El_Cid_99
August 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
To clarify, Gadfly, there have never been plans to have an "outside wall" finished by this season. Only the new stands and seats/bleachers. After this season they will begin construction of the pressbox/tower/offices that you see on the artists rendition.

A minor inconvenience considering what we've been looking at the past two seasons..

SoCon48
August 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
thank goodness…

"I had to take my wife shopping downtown to make up for the experience."

Oh Geez. Don't tell me you fell for that one!!:p

The Gadfly
August 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
To clarify, Gadfly, there have never been plans to have an "outside wall" finished by this season. Only the new stands and seats/bleachers. After this season they will begin construction of the pressbox/tower/offices that you see on the artists rendition.

A minor inconvenience considering what we've been looking at the past two seasons..

Thanx for the clarity 99. It just didn't seem right the last two years with those crappy home stands. Thank God, now the knobs have more standing room :nod: . If you see a Citadel tailgate with some Coastal fans, come by and get some grub. My father was a '72 xprost2x .

CSU BUCS
August 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
thank goodness…

I'd rather not talegate on a paved parking lot in Charleston. Hot!!!!

MarkCCU
August 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'd rather not talegate on a paved parking lot in Charleston. Hot!!!!

CSU BUCS...
1) it's tailgate and be a man everything in CHarleston is hot
2) Amend your sig. to say CO CHAMPS! Don't take glory for the whole thing

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

I'm playing with you, if you're ever around and see the CCU Flag flying come by

MarkCCU
August 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Well at least the stands will be sturdier than the old set. Will they make it easier for knobs to get on and off the field to do the pushups? hmmm :D

El_Cid_99
August 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I'd say at least 80% of the parking at Johnson Hagood is grass, gravel, or dirt. The paved spots are mostly for the bigger donors, and are closest to the stadium.

I'm in the paved lot right behind the Altman Center, and my biggest complaint is that the old fogeys on our row all show up 10 minutes before kickoff. We usually have to pick up our tent, move the coolers, etc. just so they can get their Cadillac into their spot.

We're out there 4 or 5 hours before kickoff, and these guys breeze right in, park, and walk straight into the stadium.

The athletic department needs to provide a valet service for these kinds of fans. Keep the cars in the far parking lot near the baseball stadium, and drop them off at the Altman Center.

It kills the atmosphere when the parking lot closest to the stadium is half-empty until 10 minutes before the game. I think it sends the wrong message to the players (the team bus drops them off in our lot) when they think that nobody is coming out to the game.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a big inconvenience to the under-70 crowd who like to really tailgate.

BULLDOG8180
August 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'd say at least 80% of the parking at Johnson Hagood is grass, gravel, or dirt. The paved spots are mostly for the bigger donors, and are closest to the stadium.

I'm in the paved lot right behind the Altman Center, and my biggest complaint is that the old fogeys on our row all show up 10 minutes before kickoff. We usually have to pick up our tent, move the coolers, etc. just so they can get their Cadillac into their spot.

We're out there 4 or 5 hours before kickoff, and these guys breeze right in, park, and walk straight into the stadium.

The athletic department needs to provide a valet service for these kinds of fans. Keep the cars in the far parking lot near the baseball stadium, and drop them off at the Altman Center.

It kills the atmosphere when the parking lot closest to the stadium is half-empty until 10 minutes before the game. I think it sends the wrong message to the players (the team bus drops them off in our lot) when they think that nobody is coming out to the game.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a big inconvenience to the under-70 crowd who like to really tailgate.

I'm under seventy but...............guilty. Usually Im driving 3 hours Saturday mornings and the 1pm starts are tough. My daughter cheers on Friday nights, so up and early Saturday we go.

I miss the 7pm games.:bawling: