PDA

View Full Version : UND to Face Schedule Challenges

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Since when did McNeese become a "basically unknown"? They are one of the most successful and well-known I-AA programs in the nation! Ridiculous. Nicholls St, not as well known, okay, but come on now...

DIVISION I ATHLETICS: Searching for teams
Based on SDSU, NDSU schedules, UND likely will face a challenge in finding games when it goes Division I-AA
By Wayne Nelson
Herald Staff Writer

South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier likely will learn a lot about the state of Louisiana in the fall. He'll take his SDSU football team there on back-to-back weekends.

He didn't plan for two trips to the Bayou State. It just worked out that way.

The trips to Louisiana to play basically two unknown teams - McNeese State and Nicholls State - are just a part of being a transitional Division I-AA football program, which UND will become in 2008.

Since it announced it was leaving NCAA Division II for Division I athletics, scheduling games has been one of SDSU's biggest challenges.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/colleges/university_of_north_dakota/15209451.htm

89rabbit
August 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
This story doesn't surprise me. Remember UND's president is the one who sent out the letter saying there really isn't a difference between D-II and I-AA. There media appears to be equally ignorant. :nonono2:

pcola
August 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Since when did McNeese become a "basically unknown"? They are one of the most successful and well-known I-AA programs in the nation! Ridiculous. Nicholls St, not as well known, okay, but come on now...

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/colleges/university_of_north_dakota/15209451.htm

I think your answer to the "unknown" comment comes later in the article where the SDSU coach says.

"When you're in the NCC, you're blessed. You have D-2 schools in the area and you can tap teams like (Division I-AA) UC Davis from time to time.

"Now, we're the low man. That's tough. And we have only four conference games. When you're playing someone new week after week, year after year, it's tough.

"I know UND's personality on defense. We haven't played them in two years, but I know more about UND than I'll ever know about McNeese State."

I don't think it is a dig at McNeese. I think it is more a comment on the past ignorance of the teams and media of the NCC about I-AA.

JohnStOnge
August 6th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I agree. I think what he meant is "unfamiliar."

Cat79
August 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
SDSU came to Texas State last year and left with a L. Their coach is probably making reference to his game with us.:D It did not seem to be a slap at McNeese.

He will get a welcoming party from a strong Cowboy team when the wabbits go into the hole this year.

Prediction Cowboys 36 SDSU 14

BaylorTitan
August 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The SLC will not be kind to SDSU!!!

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I agree. I think what he meant is "unfamiliar."
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They are both "unknown teams" in the world of UND or SDSU sports. The rest of the I-AA world surely knows about McNeese St.

blukeys
August 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They are both "unknown teams" in the world of UND or SDSU sports. The rest of the I-AA world surely knows about McNeese St.

McNeese WHO?????????????xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
McNeese WHO?????????????xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

swaghook
August 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
The Southland conference has been good for NDSU.:cool: I hope to see more of them on the schedule in the years ahead including McNeese.

NorthDakotaBison
August 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I second that.

I was dissappointed that we couldn't get an SLC team on the schedule this year.

Hansel
August 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I second that.

Stephen F Austin ???

I think they are still in the SLC ;)

RabidRabbit
August 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I second that.

As said above - SFA is in the SLC. The "surprise" no NDSU games against Big Sky teams:eek: .

Regarding - South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier likely will learn a lot about the state of Louisiana in the fall. He'll take his SDSU football team there on back-to-back weekends.

He didn't plan for two trips to the Bayou State. It just worked out that way.

The trips to Louisiana to play basically two unknown teams - McNeese State and Nicholls State - are just a part of being a transitional Division I-AA football program, which UND will become in 2008.- I interpret this to be that SDSU has not played either McNeese/Nichols, so they are "unknown opponents" (like SDSU is to them). NOT that these schools are "unknown I-AA programs". :thumbsup:

Heck, despite their chronic :bow: soft-pedaling of how good they are, they keep making the play-offs. I look forward to good trips, and great games in LA LA land:hurray: . Hope the Bunnies have another Louisiana experience like our first trip in '04 to play Southern. :hurray: :hurray:

89rabbit
August 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Whoa, hold on just one minute. Some of you need to re-read the story and figure out just who said what before you try and turn anything in this story, written by a reporter from Grand Forks, North Dakota for the consumption of the UND faithful, into any sort of bulletin board material. I know for a fact that SDSU's Head Coach John Stiegelmeier knows who McNeese and Nicholls State are and respects their programs.

Please don't disparage the good folks at South Dakota State because a D-II beat writer from North Dakota is unfamiliar with I-AA. : smh :

P.S. This isn't our first trip to Louisiana, we went to Baton Rouge in 2004 (Our first season in I-AA) and beat Southern University 31-24 at Mumford. :D

SDbison
August 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Whoa, hold on just one minute. Some of you need to re-read the story and figure out just who said what before you try and turn anything in this story, written by a reporter from Grand Forks, North Dakota for the consumption of the UND faithful, into any sort of bulletin board material. I know for a fact that SDSU's Head Coach John Stiegelmeier knows who McNeese and Nicholls State are and respects their programs.

Please don't disparage the good folks at South Dakota State because a D-II beat writer from North Dakota is unfamiliar with I-AA. : smh :

P.S. This isn't our first trip to Louisiana, we went to Baton Rouge in 2004 (Our first season in I-AA) and beat Southern University 31-24 at Mumford. :D
I had the same feelings when I read what was posted on this board. The ignorance and pompous attitude originates from the writer from Grand Forks. UND thinks they are going to get into a conference right away and be top 10 in DI-AA football. I respect SDSU and know that this poorly written article did not adequately reflect what coach Stig said. You have to consider the source, Grand Forks Herald (mouthpiece of UND).

X-Factor
August 7th, 2006, 12:23 AM
The SLC will not be kind to SDSU!!!

Dont get ahead of yourself, NDSU seems to be more than returning the favor for the Great West :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
August 7th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Any of you folks making the trip down to Nicholls St this coming fall?

It's not too far away from me and if there's a nice sized AGS contingent, perhaps I can make the commute...

NorthDakotaBison
August 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM
my bad?

what was i thinking?