PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Belt Conference of 2012

Burn the Horse
October 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
OK, while I expect to get a lot of negativity from the membership here, I am hoping to get a few honest opinions as well.

With the way the FBS non-AQ Conferences have performed this season so far, the SBC has proven to be one of the strongest. In the past, the Sun Belt has received a lot of hate on here, so I was just wondering if any opinions had changed due to our solid showings this year.

What do yall think of the Sun Belt Conference of 2012?

Thanks guys.

cbarrier90
October 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM
OK, while I expect to get a lot of negativity from the membership here, I am hoping to get a few honest opinions as well.

With the way the FBS non-AQ Conferences have performed this season so far, the SBC has proven to be one of the strongest. In the past, the Sun Belt has received a lot of hate on here, so I was just wondering if any opinions had changed due to our solid showings this year.

What do yall think of the Sun Belt Conference of 2012?

Thanks guys.

UL-Monroe had a huge victory over the dumpster fire that has become Arkansas. They followed it up with an OT loss to Auburn who can't get rid of Gene Chizik fast enough. Other than that, I can't tell you a single noteworthy nugget about the Sun Belt, except they have Sun Belt Tuesdays on ESPN, which is a fantastic hashtag to follow on Twitter (#sunbelttuesdays) during random Tuesday nights when quite literally nothing is on TV.

The biggest issue with the Sun Belt is it has no identity, save for "that one conference that plays games on Tuesday nights." The only schools with any proximity to each other are Monroe and Lafayette, and other than that, there are no real rivalries, at least that I'm aware of. Rivalries are born out of competing at a high level with a particular opponent for significant gains. That's why IMO ASU-GSU is the best in the FCS (apologies to Brawl of the Wild, NDSU-UNI, etc.) With the Sun Belt, there is no consistency. There is no seperation of consistent contenders-pretenders, just a bunch of glorified FCS teams in states dominated by the SEC that needed to do anything they could to get out from under the giant cloud of irrelevance, so they created a conference that put them on the FBS level in name only.

You probably finished reading that thinking "Wow, this guy is an ignorant fool," (probably wouldn't be the first on this board to react that way to one of my posts) but the truth is that is my perception of the Sun Belt, and you won't find many who deviate from this view. Enlighten us, please.

I tried to talk myself into liking a Sun Belt invite for Appalachian, I really did. Throw in Georgia Southern and I might even change my tune. But I just couldn't do it. Don't get me wrong, I'd root for Appalachian no matter who's on the schedule, but at the end of the day, even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Might wanna check out the multiple threads we have on this board discussing your soon-to-be newest member Georgia State. What a fantastic find that was. No doubt you guys are stoked about that pick up.

T-Dog
October 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM
UL-Monroe had a huge victory over the dumpster fire that has become Arkansas. They followed it up with an OT loss to Auburn who can't get rid of Gene Chizik fast enough. Other than that, I can't tell you a single noteworthy nugget about the Sun Belt, except they have Sun Belt Tuesdays on ESPN, which is a fantastic hashtag to follow on Twitter (#sunbelttuesdays) during random Tuesday nights when quite literally nothing is on TV.

MTSU (who lost to McNeese) put a beating on Georgia Tech and ULM played Baylor well. I remember seeing WKU beat Kentucky on a trick play in overtime (and then beat Southern Miss the following week) and Arkansas State had a good showing against Oregon plus Troy lost a close home game to Miss State. I also believe the Sun Belt has a lopsided winning record against the "superior" C-USA this year.

I do think the Sun Belt is improving. Benson is a smart guy and could do good things for the conference. The teams in the conference are putting more into their facilities and it's starting to show. The previous admins had a bit of a sneering attitude which rubbed a lot of upper-tier FCS fans the wrong way.

Two years ago, I would have said no way to the Sun Belt. Now, if we go with GaSo, then it's not the worst thing ever. One of the ASU bloggers compared us to the MAC, C-USA and the Sun Belt academically and found that the Sun Belt was the best fit. C-USA is interested in metropolitan teams and potential television sets over actual successful programs and the MAC is just too far. But still, if offered, ASU would take C-USA and their TV deal in a heart beat.

If I could, I would put in a clause that we'd have ZERO home Tuesday games. Home games for ASU and the community are a big deal and having one on a Tuesday would be taking a lot of money out of the local economy.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Two years ago, I would have said no way to the Sun Belt. Now, if we go with GaSo, then it's not the worst thing ever.

Wow, get that slogan on a T-shirt, pronto!

MiddleTennesseePiKapp
October 24th, 2012, 11:20 PM
As T-Dog pointed out, Middle Tennessee whipped Georgia Tech(our running back who went off for 200+ yards and 5 TD's against the Jackets missed the McNeese game and unfortunately now has been lost for the season) and WKU beat Kentucky.

To your note of rivalries...

ULM and ULL are separated by 185 miles and have played in football 47 times.

Troy and South Alabama are actually slightly closer, but South has just started football, but the potential for rivalry there is clear.

FAU and FIU was easily the closest demographic rivalry by far, but with FIU departing for C-USA after this season, can't really count that one.

The one you are overlooking is Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky. Middle and Western are only separated by 100 miles and have played each other in football 61 times(middle leads 31-29-1) let's compare that to "the best rivalry in FCS" App and Southern are separated by 333 miles and have played 25 times(App leads 13-11-1).

T-Dog
October 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Wow, get that slogan on a T-shirt, pronto!

I know you're pro-FCS and I understand the position, but you don't have to be a dick about it. Our admins want FBS and I feel like it's an inevitability so excuse us for looking at what our options might be.

citdog
October 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I know you're pro-FCS and I understand the position, but you don't have to be a dick about it. Our admins want FBS and I feel like it's an inevitability so excuse us for looking at what our options might be.

then go unbuckle the sun belt board and assume the position.

344Johnson
October 24th, 2012, 11:49 PM
The one you are overlooking is Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky. Middle and Western are only separated by 100 miles and have played each other in football 61 times(middle leads 31-29-1) let's compare that to "the best rivalry in FCS" App and Southern are separated by 333 miles and have played 25 times(App leads 13-11-1).

App can't help GaSo didn't have football for ages. We could always say Harvard/Yale is the best rivalry. I'll still go with the Brawl as the best rivalry despite the fact it is lopsided.

Jazzman1522
October 25th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I remember when Western Kentucky made the move to the Sun Belt. I thought it was a terrible decision. Much to my chagrin, Western has begun to turn around a very poor start to their FBS life and, as someone pointed out earlier, they even beat Kentucky this year (Although...Kentucky really sucks).

I still think it was a terrible decision.

I don't know enough about the money involved to be able to back up my thoughts from that standpoint, but no matter how well Western does in the Sun Belt, as long as they are in that conference, they will never be relevant on a national level. That is my biggest problem with the FBS. A large portion of the schools have virtually no chance of winning a title. In the FCS, with the exception of the few conferences that have decided not to participate in the playoffs, everyone has a chance. You win your conference, you're in the playoffs. You win the Sun Belt, you're in the New Orleans Bowl. Congratulations.

According to an article I'll link to at the end of this post, in 2009-2010 only 22 schools in the FBS made money and the average loss across the entire subdivision was $9.5 million. FCS schools lost an average of $9.1 million. So with that, is making the jump really that beneficial? Yes, national exposure may be increased, but not in the Sun Belt. For every Boise State success in doing it, there's an Idaho, or Middle Tennessee, or Louisiana Tech.

If you can make the jump and stay out of the Sun Belt (or the WAC for that matter), that may be another story. But to answer the original question, I think the Sun Belt will never be relevant on a national level and, if my team was moving to FBS, I would want them to avoid it like the plague.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/22_college_football_programs_m.html

WileECoyote06
October 25th, 2012, 05:51 AM
BTW, best rivalry? lol. . . uh huh. Get over seventy games, then come holla. There was a whole lot of football played between the 1930s and the late 80s.

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Also, with Ga. Southern potentially moving into the Sun Belt it would allow to renew the bit of a rivalry with MTSU and potentially create one with GaSt.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM
The Sun Belt is improving its image, but let's be realistic about College Football. The FCS is a joke to a majority of College Football insiders and the Non-AQ Conference teams are just a step above said joke status. With that understanding, I think the Sun Belt has done a lot this season to "legitimize" itself with victories and competitive games against BCS competition.

I've been watching the Sun Belt closely for a couple of seasons and would love for Ga Southern to become a member. No one knows for sure what will happen in the division with the Big Big (Money) Boys, but schools in the Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA, and MW will need to be putting an entertaining and competitive product on the field to gain their market share because it won't come from market size.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I've been saying for a while that the SBC is on par with the MAC and Conference USA and isn't getting the respect it deserves.

What I object to is SBC folks that look down their noses at the elite teams of the FCS, in particular viewing App. State and GSU as somehow not being worthy of that conference, or that it'll take us a minimum of four years to evem get into the middle of the pack. Look at how the SBC has performed against good FCS teams...MTSU loses to McNeese and last year the second place SBC was curb stomped by Indiana State. Indy State didn't make the playoffs last year and McNeese is a bubble team this year at best. And I realize that the teams that moved from the FCS to the SBC have often struggled, but none of them were as consistently successful or as talent-laden as GSU and App are.

msupokes1
October 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
As T-Dog pointed out, Middle Tennessee whipped Georgia Tech(our running back who went off for 200+ yards and 5 TD's against the Jackets missed the McNeese game and unfortunately now has been lost for the season) and WKU beat Kentucky.

Not to be a thread stealer but with the election going on it just makes me feel that people should be accountable for the information they give. Cunningham did not miss the McNeese game. He had 9 carries for 34 yards and I believe he left in the 3rd Q with an injury. He had 27 carries for 217 yards against GT. Did not want anyone to get the feeling that had he played the game would have been different because he did play.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Go Indians.....ooops I mean Warhawks!! ULM has really turned things around. They haven't had a winning record since 1993 (when they were in the Southland Conference) their best record in the FBS is 6-6 in 2009. Their two losses this year was by 3 in OT to Auburn and by 5 against Baylor. Good luck to the Warhawks!!

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Nothing would make me happier than for App to join the SBC. I'd prefer it to CUSA.

Jazzman1522
October 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Nothing would make me happier than for App to join the SBC. I'd prefer it to CUSA.

Why? Honest question. Because I personally don't see any appeal whatsoever in it, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of someone with a different viewpoint than me.

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure App would pick the Sun Belt over the MAC or CUSA from an academic standpoint. While they are a 50/50 split between national and regional as determined by US News, only one of the regional schools is in the top 50 in the south (WKU at 33), App is typically in the top 10. He may have said they fit better in the Sun Belt as most of the MAC and CUSA schools are considered national schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt_Conference

From a cultural perspective I do believe the Sun Belt is the best fit for App and even more so for GSU (the real one). If ECU leaves for the Big East the Sun Belt would be just as attractive as CUSA for us.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Is it better for football or all sports? I thought C-USA was better in basketball. I know App is a football powerhouse, how are they in other sports?

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Basketball is very inconsistent, the last five years they've finished in the top 80 in RPI and as low as 270, average likely around 160, this is the area in which App needs to improve the most IMO.

CUSA is clearly the better basketball league.

Baseball has gotten much better lately, 30 wins the last 6 season, finished 29th in the nation last year, one win away from a super regional.

SB and CUSA are about even depending on the year, slight lean towards CUSA, but if ECU leaves - even

App also has solid women's basketball (sweet 16 of NIT last year), volleyball, wrestling (two in the top 8 of their weight class at nationals last year), and all 6 track programs compete for the SoCon year in and year out. App is the best all around program in the SoCon. If we were located in a city of 1M people the selection process would have gone a little differently last summer.

BEAR
October 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Arkansas State had a good showing against Oregon.

xeekx :pumpuke:

Really? Really? What was it...52-0 at half? The ducks put in their second stringers to NOT run a hundred on the Red Wolves....

Bad memory there T-dog....bad memory...that game wasn't even close. The final score was a joke. The ducks scored at will on the Red Wolves...at will. That was NOT a good showing...that was a mercy rule dying to go into effect. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Basketball is very inconsistent, the last five years they've finished in the top 80 in RPI and as low as 270, average likely around 160, this is the area in which App needs to improve the most IMO.

Baseball has gotten much better lately, 30 wins the last 6 season, finished 29th in the nation last year, one win away from a super regional.

SB and CUSA are about even depending on the year, slight lean towards CUSA, but if ECU leaves - even

App also has solid women's basketball (sweet 16 of NIT last year), volleyball, wrestling (two in the top 8 of their weight class at nationals last year), and all 6 track programs compete for the SoCon year in and year out. App is the best all around program in the SoCon. If we were located in a city of 1M people the selection process would have gone a little differently last summer.

Thanks for the info.

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM

This.

An ECUless CUSA presents no benefit aside from more TV money IMO. CUSA is a dying league. They've replaced former powers like USF ect with startup UNCC. ECU has been desperate to leave for years. They're in a down year already and once JuCo Charlotte starts playing, they will occupy the very bottom of the FBS hierarchy. No thank you.

I'd much rather be in a geographically concise conference that's up-and-coming like the Sunbelt. Anyone why scoffs at the SBC, especially from an FCS perspective, has not been paying attention this year.

I don't know much about the MAC only that they play good football, their academically similar to ASU (unlike the SBC, we'd be at the top of the academic spectrum in the SBC), but we are out of the geographic footprint of the MAC.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
This.

An ECUless CUSA presents no benefit aside from more TV money IMO. CUSA is a dying league. They've replaced former powers like USF ect with startup UNCC. ECU has been desperate to leave for years. They're in a down year already and once JuCo Charlotte starts playing, they will occupy the very bottom of the FBS hierarchy. No thank you.

I'd much rather be in a geographically concise conference that's up-and-coming like the Sunbelt. Anyone why scoffs at the SBC, especially from an FCS perspective, has not been paying attention this year.

I don't know much about the MAC only that they play good football, their academically similar to ASU (unlike the SBC, we'd be at the top of the academic spectrum in the SBC), but we are out of the geographic footprint of the MAC.

That shouldn't matter.xsmiley_wix

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
That should matter.xsmiley_wix

It is important. But then you have our AD hung up on a conference with no footprint whatsoever besides the continental United States, so who really knows how important it is. Obviously there's more revenue in CUSA to offset the travel costs, but still.

Gringer1
October 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
The issue for me is that moving to the FBS and moving to the Sun Belt are not quite the same thing. The Sun Belt will have teams that experience good years and get more attention and some will even get invited to other conferences. The hang up is that they will never be on par with the BCS level teams. ULM got an upset against one of the worst Auburn teams in recent memories. 5 years from now, Auburn will be a solid team again that still averages 80,000 fans a game, and the random loss will be forgotten. ULM might be able to churn out a few more winning seasons and average over 20,000 fans, but they still won't be on the same level as Auburn. Every year, there's a Sun Belt team that non-AQ fans herald as the next Boise State. That team never manages to maintain the success and falls back into obscurity and mockery. A few years ago, FAU was the poster child for Sun Belt success. Where are they now? Leagues like the Sun Belt remind me of Sisyphus; eternally rolling a stone up a hill only to have it slide down the other side once you think they've gotten it to the top.

P.S. They took Georgia State, one of the worst programs in football. How's that for a commitment to success?

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
The issue for me is that moving to the FBS and moving to the Sun Belt are not quite the same thing. The Sun Belt will have teams that experience good years and get more attention and some will even get invited to other conferences. The hang up is that they will never be on par with the BCS level teams. ULM got an upset against one of the worst Auburn teams in recent memories. 5 years from now, Auburn will be a solid team again that still averages 80,000 fans a game, and the random loss will be forgotten. ULM might be able to churn out a few more winning seasons and average over 20,000 fans, but they still won't be on the same level as Auburn. Every year, there's a Sun Belt team that non-AQ fans herald as the next Boise State. That team never manages to maintain the success and falls back into obscurity and mockery. A few years ago, FAU was the poster child for Sun Belt success. Where are they now? Leagues like the Sun Belt remind me of Sisyphus; eternally rolling a stone up a hill only to have it slide down the other side once you think they've gotten it to the top.

You think that's a SBC problem?

There was a team in the SoCon once. They beat at #5 Michigan team when Michigan was poised to win a National Championship. Now that team is 5-3 and just lost to some no-name team called Wofford...

The question is whether or not you want a bigger stadium, better players, more exposure and FBS home games, in and out of your future conference. My answer to that is a Stone Cold Steve Austin "Yeah hell yeah!!"

Gringer1
October 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
App is the current Auburn of the FCS. A down year for sure, but they will quickly return to prominence. The Sun Belt teams will never be on par with BCS teams as they continually rise and fall in relative obscurity like shoes in a dryer.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
It is important. But then you have our AD hung up on a conference with no footprint whatsoever besides the continental United States, so who really knows how important it is. Obviously there's more revenue in CUSA to offset the travel costs, but still.

We are an outliner on our conference footprint but we didn't have a choice( well we did Independent or Big Sky). SB has teams around App's area so that is a good thing. The MAC are outside its more up around Michigan type teams. But fans won't mind the travel if you are a winning team. Cause the long ride back is longer after a loss.

Lehigh Football Nation
Here is the problem.

The year Appalachian State beat Michigan, they lost a couple of games, but still were able to recover and make it a storybook season by not only winning the SoCon title and the FCS National Championship, but did so with some instant classics that ought to have a special place in college football history, playing the top teams of the subdivision.

This year, UL-M upset Arkansas, they lost a couple of games, but if they are able to recover and win the Sun Belt championship, they will play in the GoDaddy.com bowl to play the MAC champion. Like App, on a national level their season effectively began and ended with a classic upset of an "untouchable" program. But we will never know if they could have hung with Notre Dame, Ohio State, or any of the power conference teams in the postseason since the bowl system will not allow us to see what would have happened. And the plus-one BCS championship game won't exactly make the case for UL-M, either. They're on no radar screen for anything but the GoDaddy.Com bowl.

Neither team will make significant money on their postseason. In fact, UL-M pays the conference every year to fund the GoDaddy.com bowl (as does every Sun Belt school), and they will not make any money, either, from their appearance. But App State was able to prove themselves against the rest of the teams of their subdivision and hold up a trophy saying "National Champions". UL-M never had a shot at that.

Finally, I believe App eked out a small profit from their upset of Michigan and their championship run. UL-M will not run a profit this year.

Apphole
App is the current Auburn of the FCS. A down year for sure, but they will quickly return to prominence. The Sun Belt teams will never be on par with BCS teams as they continually rise and fall in relative obscurity like shoes in a dryer.

I'm not all that concerned with relative success to BCS powerhouses. I don't think that way now when we're FCS, why would I when we go low-tier FBS?

It's all about tangible benefits to me. I want exposure, better players, a bigger stadium and a home game against Wake Forrest and ECU.

fc97
October 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
You think that's a SBC problem?

There was a team in the SoCon once. They beat at #5 Michigan team when Michigan was poised to win a National Championship. Now that team is 5-3 and just lost to some no-name team called Wofford...

The question is whether or not you want a bigger stadium, better players, more exposure and FBS home games, in and out of your future conference. My answer to that is a Stone Cold Steve Austin "Yeah hell yeah!!"

one slight flaw. a socon app beating michigan is news and is still something to talk about even though michigan had a relatively down year that year. a sun belt app beating michigan is a story for a few days.

Vitojr130
October 25th, 2012, 11:53 AM

To your note of rivalries...

ULM and ULL are separated by 185 miles and have played in football 47 times.

Troy and South Alabama are actually slightly closer, but South has just started football, but the potential for rivalry there is clear.

FAU and FIU was easily the closest demographic rivalry by far, but with FIU departing for C-USA after this season, can't really count that one.

If NDSU-UND start playing again, the fight for the Nickel would be the best rivalry in the FCS... 107 meetings between the 2 up until 2004 all thrown down the drain...

Now, in response to this thread:

As a person who pays more attention to football than the regular guy, I still don't know much about the Sun Belt. I don't believe the notoriety of being a member would be too much higher than being a successful FCS program. Sure, the TV deals will certainly be better and the school would receive more money, but at the end of the day does any casual fans outside of the conference really know who is who and such? I sure don't.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM
If NDSU-UND start playing again, the fight for the Nickel would be the best rivalry in the FCS... 107 meetings between the 2 up until 2004 all thrown down the drain...

Now, in response to this thread:

As a person who pays more attention to football than the regular guy, I still don't know much about the Sun Belt. I don't believe the notoriety of being a member would be too much higher than being a successful FCS program. Sure, the TV deals will certainly be better and the school would receive more money, but at the end of the day does any casual fans outside of the conference really know who is who and such? I sure don't.

You mean, the "Tuesday Night Special" TV deal? That's the only one they've got. And let's just say it's not balancing the budget.

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
one slight flaw. a socon app beating michigan is news and is still something to talk about even though michigan had a relatively down year that year. a sun belt app beating michigan is a story for a few days.

Yet another negative IMO. Who wants to be remembered as the JV juggernaut: The standard by which crashing and burning can be measured? "Hey UM, you're so bad to lost to APPALACHIAN STATE!" The bigger the upset is considered, the more small time we're perceived.

I'd much rather bask in the glory for one year than have people harp on it for 5 years, essentially admitting that we were never supposed to be on the same field as a team like Michigan, let alone beat them.

By the way, it was not a down year for Michigan.

dbackjon
October 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Sunbelt is much improved this year, but, based on where they were, they could only go up.

Good wins: ULM over Ark, WKU over KY, and best win: MTSU over GT.

SB was still 3-16 against BCS conference teams.
SB is 6-3 against C-USA teams

Attendence seems to be up:

Sun Belt (AVERAGE - 21,018)
(2013 lineup AVERAGE - 20,824)
La.-Monroe 33,682
La.-Lafayette 25,557
Arkansas St. 24,226
Western Ky. 20,634
North Texas 20,379
Troy 20,194
Middle Tenn. 18,661
South Ala. 18,434
FIU 14,212
Fla. Atlantic 14,199

Note- ULM attendance includes 53,000 K for "Home" game against Arkansas in Little Rock.

Vitojr130
October 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
You mean, the "Tuesday Night Special" TV deal? That's the only one they've got. And let's just say it's not balancing the budget.

It's better than no steady TV deal... But you are right, it isn't much to flaunt around.

ITmonarch10
October 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Sunbelt is much improved this year, but, based on where they were, they could only go up.

Good wins: ULM over Ark, WKU over KY, and best win: MTSU over GT.

SB was still 3-16 against BCS conference teams.
SB is 6-3 against C-USA teams

Attendence seems to be up:

Sun Belt (AVERAGE - 21,018)
(2013 lineup AVERAGE - 20,824)
La.-Monroe 33,682
La.-Lafayette 25,557
Arkansas St. 24,226
Western Ky. 20,634
North Texas 20,379
Troy 20,194
Middle Tenn. 18,661
South Ala. 18,434
FIU 14,212
Fla. Atlantic 14,199

Note- ULM attendance includes 53,000 K for "Home" game against Arkansas in Little Rock.

Are FIU and Fla. Atlantic's attendance right. Those 2 shouldn't be playing FBS football period.

TheRevSFA
October 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not all that concerned with relative success to BCS powerhouses. I don't think that way now when we're FCS, why would I when we go low-tier FBS?

It's all about tangible benefits to me. I want exposure, better players, a bigger stadium and a home game against Wake Forrest and ECU.

So since WKU moved up, have they hosted Kentucky or Louisville..or have their home games been against no name FBS teams like Akron or Eastern Michigan.

Who has Idaho hosted? Hell Wyoming was supposed to host Tennessee and technically they did, in Nashville.

It doesn't always work out quite like you think

TheRevSFA
October 25th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yet another negative IMO. Who wants to be remembered as the JV juggernaut: The standard by which crashing and burning can be measured? "Hey UM, you're so bad to lost to APPALACHIAN STATE!" The bigger the upset is considered, the more small time we're perceived.

I'd much rather bask in the glory for one year than have people harp on it for 5 years, essentially admitting that we were never supposed to be on the same field as a team like Michigan, let alone beat them.

By the way, it was not a down year for Michigan.

Still happens with lower tier FBS teams "Hey Arkansas, you suck so bad you lost to ULM?!?!?!"

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Are FIU and Fla. Atlantic's attendance right. Those 2 shouldn't be playing FBS football period.

Their attendance would fit right in in the MAC. 8 MAC teams have avg attendance of less than 16,500, and 3 of them are less than FIU and Fla Atlantic.

TheRevSFA
October 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Also the Sun Belt will probably look west before they look east. Hello Sam Houston or Lamar.

Lamar was Sun Belt for basketball, would be an easy return for them.

Apphole
October 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
So since WKU moved up, have they hosted Kentucky or Louisville..or have their home games been against no name FBS teams like Akron or Eastern Michigan.

Who has Idaho hosted? Hell Wyoming was supposed to host Tennessee and technically they did, in Nashville.

With the relationship we have with Terry Holland and our history/relationship with Wake, I'm confident the two will grant us a home-and-home fairly soon once we move. It will take us a decade to get NC State to come to the Rock and UNC will cower on the hill until we take them to court and force them to play us.

dbackjon
October 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Yes, they are.

cbarrier90
October 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM

As opposed to that SoCon TV deal...

ElCid
October 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Food for thought for App St and Ga So fans who think it would be a good deal to move to FBS and the Sun Belt. You might do very well in the Sun Belt, but you would most likely never win another national championship in football again....ever...or at least not until the 22nd century. Unless of course you think it is merely a stepping stone to the ACC or SEC, LOLs that.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 25th, 2012, 12:53 PM
The mac has always interested me as a possible home for App, becouse of 1. very strong academics, stronger than SB, and I think App would fit well in. 2. strong basketball conference, usually 3 or 4 teams make the tourniment, and win a few games. But, now I'm having second thoughts if their football attendence is really that poor. I would have thought that, as a whole, the conference would have atleast averaged 20 thousand a game.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
The mac has always interested me as a possible home for App, becouse of 1. very strong academics, stronger than SB, and I think App would fit well in. 2. strong basketball conference, usually 3 or 4 teams make the tourniment, and win a few games. But, now I'm having second thoughts if their football attendence is really that poor. I would have thought that, as a whole, the conference would have atleast averaged 20 thousand a game.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/FBS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Eastern Michigan's avg attendance is 4527, the next team up is Akron 9587. Their (MAC) attendance is the worst in the NCAA. 4527 is a DII or DIII type attendance not FBS.

Also Toledo and Ohio are the only MAC teams over 20,000 avg.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Food for thought for App St and Ga So fans who think it would be a good deal to move to FBS and the Sun Belt. You might do very well in the Sun Belt, but you would most likely never win another national championship in football again....ever...or at least not until the 22nd century. Unless of course you think it is merely a stepping stone to the ACC or SEC, LOLs that.

Not winning a NC means will will join the other 120 schools or so who also don't have a shot. Our 6 NC's at GSU helped us tremendously in the first 30 years of our program's resurrection, but they don't really mean anything to the General College Football world. As far as the average college football fan is concerned, FCS, DII, DIII, and NAIA are equally obscure.

FBS is definitely not for every school, but I think Ga Southern and App St are ready along with JMU, Delaware and perhaps Liberty and Jax St. in the east. Many in the Big Sky and OVC could support MAC or MW FBS football, but I don't think it would increase their market share enough to justify the move.

chrisattsu
October 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM

WKU has hosted South Florida and Indiana. Wyoming hosted Texas. Idaho's dome and distant location keep people from playing there.

Texas State scheduled Texas Tech and Nevada to come to the stadium this season and we have Wyoming, Navy, and New Mexico lined up over the next couple of years. I'm fine with the games that we are playing.

ASUMountaineer
October 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
then go unbuckle the sun belt board and assume the position.

Can you show us how? We know you'll be an excellent teacher given your extensive experience at Citadel.

TheRevSFA
October 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
WKU has hosted South Florida and Indiana. Wyoming hosted Texas. Idaho's dome and distant location keep people from playing there.

Texas State scheduled Texas Tech and Nevada to come to the stadium this season and we have Wyoming, Navy, and New Mexico lined up over the next couple of years. I'm fine with the games that we are playing.

Big crowd at that Nevada game. Let me tell you

Ga Southern Eagles
October 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Personally i hope we can join the sun belt and that app st is also invited. While neither of us are located in a large market we both have a radio network footprint larger than a lot of fbs schools and we would without a doubt strengthen sbc in football and baseball

citdog
October 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Can you show us how? We know you'll be an excellent teacher given your extensive experience at Citadel.

app has been defeated by wofford and The Citadel on their own field this season. combined enrollment of those two? 3700. a geriatric coach and program that has declined sharply the last few years. that home winning streak and championships are way in the rearview mirror. you are what your record says you are. if you want to nuzzle the schmeckle of a second rate fbs in name only conference don't complain when you get that bump on your lip. it's herpes.

Jazzman1522
October 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM
So I asked earlier why App State fans (And it likes Georgia Southern fans too) want to see their teams move to the Sun Belt and the response seemed to be comparing the Sun Belt to other FBS conferences like C-USA and the MAC. That doesn't really answer what I'm wondering, but that's my fault. Let me rephrase my question.

As a fan of your football team, why do you want to see it move from the SoCon, where it competes yearly for conference and national championships and is nationally relevant at the FCS level, and holds a pretty good amount of prestige as a football program, to the Sun Belt, where it will likely struggle for a number of years and when it does start winning again, will never be nationally relevant (Tuesday night games on ESPN do not make one's program relevant, sorry) and will never compete for anything but a conference title, the prize for which is a pointless bowl game? This is what I don't understand. And I apologize for sounding critical of anyone's viewpoint, but I honestly would like to hear the reasoning for this desire from a fan's standpoint. Cause I really don't get it.

redwolf
October 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM
The ducks put in their second stringers to NOT run a hundred on the Red Wolves....

Bad memory there T-dog....bad memory...that game wasn't even close. The final score was a joke. The ducks scored at will on the Red Wolves...at will. That was NOT a good showing...that was a mercy rule dying to go into effect. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Did you have flashbacks to last year's game between Arkansas State and UCA? You remember... the game in which Arkansas State was never forced to punt. Not once. UCA, as a team, was only able to score one more point than Arkansas State's kicker in that game. In the 4th quarter, Arkansas State had a WR playing QB, trying to keep from scoring. There was more of a difference between Arkansas State and UCA, than there was between Arkansas State and Oregon.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Because playing on Tuesday night in the Sun Belt is more relevant nationally than playing in the FCS NC game according to ESPN's news cycle.

For Ga Southern, we are stagnant in the SoCon. Any FBS conference offers growth opportunity.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Eagle11
October 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Georgia Southern has accomplished everything possible at the FCS level. I'd like to see GSU play at the highest level possible and accomplish new goals.

ASU_Fanatic
October 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't want to as much as most App fans do I like competing for national titles but the one reason I'd love to is to play teams like ECU and Wake at home.

cbarrier90
October 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
app has been defeated by wofford and The Citadel on their own field this season. combined enrollment of those two? 3700. a geriatric coach and program that has declined sharply the last few years. that home winning streak and championships are way in the rearview mirror. you are what your record says you are. if you want to nuzzle the schmeckle of a second rate fbs in name only conference don't complain when you get that bump on your lip. it's herpes.

Two SoCon losses with a very young team, still leading FCS in attendance and it's "a sharp decline?" Must be a pretty darn good program with high expectations...

Nice to see the Citadel has really capitalized on the two biggest wins in recent program history in back to back weeks this season...

citdog
October 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Two SoCon losses with a very young team, still leading FCS in attendance and it's "a sharp decline?" Must be a pretty darn good program with high expectations...

Nice to see the Citadel has really capitalized on the two biggest wins in recent program history in back to back weeks this season...

maybe that was a bit harsh. Thought for sure i was going to get away with my comment on page one. Nice catch. Those yankees might have got my dander up a bit on that other thread. I am am app admirer. Just hate to see y'all sell yourself so cheaply. Like the ugliest girl at vmi on a sat night.

Saint3333
October 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM

It must suck to be a Citadel fan 19 out of every 20 years then.

cbarrier90
October 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Those yankees might have got my dander up a bit on that other thread.

It's always those yankees' fault...xnodx

Ga Southern Eagles
October 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM
to answer your question jazzman, yes, I personally would like to move up knowing the challenges and that we will not be competing for national championships. I also specifically would prefer the sun belt because it is the best fit for us.

dgtw
October 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM
If you want to return the favor and troll this guy's place, you can do so here.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=595089

dgtw
October 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I think App State would be a good fit for CUSA. Assuming ECU stays, that would give you two in state conference rivals and others in virginia and West Virginia.