PDA

View Full Version : Ga. Southern vs. Jax State in Atlanta, 2007?

JaxSinfonian
August 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Georgia Southern fans, can you shed any light on this?

The Anniston (Ala.) Star (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2006/as-college-0805-0-6h05a3221.htm) (Web site is subscription only, unfortunately) reports that JSU and GSU are in talks for a season-opening matchup in the Georgia Dome for 2007. The Star says JSU would get $100,000 in the deal. Apparently we have to talk Chattanooga into moving our 2007 game to make it happen, so nothing's final.

I've heard mention of it in a couple places before, but this is the most detail on the deal I've seen. It looks kind of like someone is trying to apply the HBCU classic concept to non-HBCU football. Would that work? I know GSU would have plenty of fans there, and that is JSU's backyard, but the Georgia Dome? That's a big room. Do you think the game organizers have mistaken us for Southern and Jackson State?

Whatever's going on, it sounds like a very cool opportunity. If this happens, I'll be there, for sure.

ButlerGSU
August 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I don't know how many GSU fans would be excited about it. I know I personally would not be. I wouldn't mind playing JSU but I'd rather do it as a home and away series. I don't see the point in playing at a neutral site.

Cocky
August 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know how many GSU fans would be excited about it. I know I personally would not be. I wouldn't mind playing JSU but I'd rather do it as a home and away series. I don't see the point in playing at a neutral site.

1) Hoping the ATL media will cover the game.
2) $100,000 a I-A ( I can use till Dec. can't I) payoff for a I-AA game.
3) Recruiting athletes and students from ATL. A chance to play in the dome maybe a better recruit angle outside of GA since some high school do get this opportunity.
4) From what I understand this is a one and done deal. Home and Home wouldn't work GSU wouldn't come to JSU without a return nor would JSU come to GSU without a return date.

If it comes to pass, I just hope some people show up.

MACHIAVELLI
August 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't mind playing JSU but I'd rather do it as a home and away series. I don't see the point in playing at a neutral site.

For both schools to make guaranteed money. Let's just say Jxsu goes to Gasu and the turn out is less than desireable or the crowd when Gasu goes to Jxsu the crowd is ok. There may not be room for a home and away series. There is no guessing, you get paid, your fans get a trip to the ATL, you open doors for school/football recruiting and it could be the start of something great.

ButlerGSU
August 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Honestly I don't see more than 20,000 show up for that game at the Dome which is exactly the same number that would come to Statesboro for it (maybe less)

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hey, hey, stay out of Atlanta. That's our recruiting turf :)

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 5th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I think most GSU fans would only be excited about having one game in Atlanta and that would be GT. JSU is not a "rival" of ours like they somehow want to think. (This coming from their athletic dept.)

I would like to see a home and home between the two, but a Ga. Dome match would look bad on GSU (I don't know about JSU) because not many people would show up and there would be 60,000 empty seats...

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 5th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Hey, hey, stay out of Atlanta. That's our recruiting turf :)

Hey, hey, we recruit in Atlanta all the time. For instance, we just landed a QB from Atlanta that you guys wanted. He went to the prestigous and private Lovett High School. Had "Future Purple Pansie" written all over him, but I am glad to see he will be on our side of the line instead of yours.

http://www.tcollinscompanies.com/index.php

Cocky
August 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think most GSU fans would only be excited about having one game in Atlanta and that would be GT. JSU is not a "rival" of ours like they somehow want to think. (This coming from their athletic dept.)

Never have heard we are rivals. We have only played 3 or 4 times and only twice since we have moved up. These two programs are headed in different directions. JSU is moving up while GSU is on a downhill trend. GSU's program in the past was one we hoped to immulate but not we are aiming for higher things.

JaxSinfonian
August 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Blueandwhite,

I think a line in your signature is applicable to this discussion: "No one comes into our house and pushes us around."

Can we push you around in the Georgia Dome, then?

I don't think anyone at JSU thinks of Ga. Southern as a rival. Certainly, I think people here are familiar with the program, and would like to emulate the string of national championships and the solid local fan support. Naturally, if JSU wants to be thought of as being at GSU's level, the best way to do that is to play them. That's about where it ends.

The idea of a marquee matchp in Atlanta is interesting, but I've got a lot of questions. We've got a lot of alums in the Atlanta area just as I imagine GSU does and we draw many students from the Georgia counties between us and Atlanta. But can we seriously expect to get the dome even close to full? Who's putting up the $100,000, anyway? I assume the Eagles would get a similar payout. That's $200,000 they'll have to come up with, and I'm skeptical they'll clear that with ticket sales.

MACHIAVELLI
August 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Any classic worth its salt doesn't rely on ticket sales to float the event. Sponsorship drives classics. In most classics the schools get the same payout amount.

youwouldno
August 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hey, hey, we recruit in Atlanta all the time. For instance, we just landed a QB from Atlanta that you guys wanted. He went to the prestigous and private Lovett High School. Had "Future Purple Pansie" written all over him, but I am glad to see he will be on our side of the line instead of yours.

http://www.tcollinscompanies.com/index.php

Dunno about that. Cody Worley is much better.

JaxSinfonian
August 5th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Any classic worth its salt doesn't rely on ticket sales to float the event. Sponsorship drives classics.

Right. Which gets back to my question: Who's putting up the $100,000? (Or rather, the $200,000?)

Baldy
August 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM
These two programs are headed in different directions. JSU is moving up while GSU is on a downhill trend.
:lmao:

It's gonna take more than couple of blowout playoff losses to convince anyone JSU is on the way up. xlolx

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1438/20027974505rc.jpg

Catmendue2
August 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
What if it was Grambling and GaSU instead of JAXSU? I bet the GAdome would fillup then.

Eaglegus2
August 5th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I think the idea of JaxStateU & Georgia Southern playing in the Georgia Dome would be a good idea.

You will always find several Eagle fans that think playing in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta is bad news.

They have the mindset that only 20K will show up for the game.

Should this game materialize and the appropriate marketing done in Georgia & Alabama? I am willing to bet that you would have around 32K.

Who is puting up the money is a very good question unless there is a promoter involved. Tickets will probaby be $20 - $25.

Another issue that will make those in attendance happy is the ability to buy alcoholic drinks at the concessions.:hurray:

Plus, it is air conditioned.:nod:

GSUISBACK
August 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
What if it was Grambling and GaSU instead of JAXSU? I bet the GAdome would fillup then.
This GSU vs JSU in dome game was/should be Jackson State, Grambling or Southern. Plus no offense to JSU but i dont think they would be a Draw in atl

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Have the Lovett QB, we are stocked anyway.

JaxSinfonian
August 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Plus no offense to JSU but i dont think they would be a Draw in atl
Huh? What do you base that thought on?

A few quick figures: seven counties of the 28 in the metro Atlanta area qualify for in-state tutition at JSU because of their proximity to Jacksonville, plus another three counties along the state line just outside the official metro area. JSU drew 1,140 students from those 31 counties in 2005, 12.5 percent of total enrollment. (GaSU drew 5,648 from those counties, by the way, about 34 percent of their total). JSU has 7,461 alumni in Georgia, about 16 percent of total alumni. (figures are from both schools' fact books, available online).

I'm not saying we'd come close to filling up the dome, but given the distances, I'd worry about Ga. Southern fans showing up, not Jax State. People in Jacksonville and the area make Saturday shopping trips to Atlanta. If it's properly marketed here, they'll drive over for a game.

http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/jsu-gsu-atl.gif

Retro
August 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM
JSU has 7,461 alumni in Georgia, about 16 percent of total alumni. (figures are from both schools' fact books, available online).

Yes, but how many of them care about Football and considering your home attendance averaged 11,000+, you might get half of that to a non-home game depending on how well your schools fan base usually travels..

Eaglegus2
August 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM
JaxSinfonian

I'm not saying we'd come close to filling up the dome, but given the distances, I'd worry about Ga. Southern fans showing up, not Jax State

You should rethink this statement. Georgia Southern fans are some of the most traveled fans in Championship Series football. The only place we don't travel is to Elon.

Better yet!!! Ask the App State fans, Furman fans and others.........

We show up for Eagle football in our opponents stadiums.:nod:

parr90
August 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Huh? What do you base that thought on?

A few quick figures: seven counties of the 28 in the metro Atlanta area qualify for in-state tutition at JSU because of their proximity to Jacksonville, plus another three counties along the state line just outside the official metro area. JSU drew 1,140 students from those 31 counties in 2005, 12.5 percent of total enrollment. (GaSU drew 5,648 from those counties, by the way, about 34 percent of their total). JSU has 7,461 alumni in Georgia, about 16 percent of total alumni. (figures are from both schools' fact books, available online).

I'm not saying we'd come close to filling up the dome, but given the distances, I'd worry about Ga. Southern fans showing up, not Jax State. People in Jacksonville and the area make Saturday shopping trips to Atlanta. If it's properly marketed here, they'll drive over for a game.

http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/jsu-gsu-atl.gif

Nice observation my man but GSU has close to 18,000 students and most of them come from Atlanta. Plus we are a Georgia state school and you are in alabama. Most of the Georgia folks that come to school at jax are whimps and unpopular kids.

Cocky
August 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM
GSU should worry about being shown up by JSU, our folks will be there. I have no idea if GSU will show up or not. From the past crowd that came to Jacksonville, I would say look for a small GSU following.

ButlerGSU
August 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Can any of our Furman friends tell us how many seats your visitors side has? I know the last time we were in Greenville there were NO seats open on the visitors side. A lot of our fans ended up standing along the fence.

Cocky
August 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Can any of our Furman friends tell us how many seats your visitors side has? I know the last time we were in Greenville there were NO seats open on the visitors side. A lot of our fans ended up standing along the fence.

The Ga Dome will have about 35,000.

Baldy
August 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
GSU should worry about being shown up by JSU, our folks will be there. I have no idea if GSU will show up or not. From the past crowd that came to Jacksonville, I would say look for a small GSU following.

Says a fan of the team that brought absolutely NOBODY to Statesboro.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Killtoppers90
August 6th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hey Cocky... I don't have a dog in this fight but you might wanna re-think that one. I think GSU will have a ton of fans attend. Here is why:
1) GSU is populated with kids from the Metro Atlanta area
2) GSU is now being coached by a former UGA assistant - many will come just for that reason.
3) GSU is known as one of the best travelling FB schools in 1-AA
4) Who deosn't love a road trip - the GSU student body can come up for the game, go home get laundry done, get $ from the folks and still party the rest of the weekend - it's a win-win here.

Eaglegus2
August 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
The Ga Dome will have about 35,000.

Reread the post!!!!!

He asked how many seats were on the visitors side of the Paladin Stadium.

NOT THE GEORGIA DOME!!!:bang:

jeezzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Paladin Stadium I think holds somewhere in the neighborhood of 16,000, but there all the seats are bleachers so I know you can cram more in there.

I am under the impression that on most games to Greenville GSU brings somewhere around 6 or 7,000 fans, filling up most of the visiting side. I believe the stadium is set up where about 10,000 or so sit on the homeside and another 6 or so on the visiting side.

GSU hands down brings more fans to Greenville than any other school.

JaxSinfonian
August 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Nice observation my man but GSU has close to 18,000 students and most of them come from Atlanta. Plus we are a Georgia state school and you are in alabama. Most of the Georgia folks that come to school at jax are whimps and unpopular kids.

Georgia Southern had 16,646 students in fall 2005. I'd call that close to to 17,000. And if you'll re-read my "nice observation" above, you'll see that GSU drew just over one-third of its students from the Atlanta area (plus the three counties I threw in because JSU draws well from them). One third does not equal "most."

But I didn't make those observations to say that Georgia Southern wouldn't draw well in Atlanta. I did it to counter the assumption that JSU wouldn't be a draw in Atlanta.

You guys can turn this into a smackfest if you want. I'm dealing only in facts.

So, I'm hearing two different types of responses from GSU fans here: 1) Eagles fans probably wouldn't be interested in a neutral site game in Atlanta and 2) GSU fans would show up in big numbers for a game in Atlanta. Which is it?

My estimate of the number of JSU fans who'd show up for a 2007 game in Atlanta: 3,000. My reasoning: JSU supporters equalled (outnumbered?) the home crowd at Samford last season (att: 7,643), a game that's a similar drive from J'ville as a game in Atlanta would be. If 2006 turns out to be a really good year for the Gamecocks - wins over Furman and/or Mississippi State (I know), another OVC title and a deeper run into the playoffs - that number could be 4,000 to 5,000.

Assuming GSU would draw similar numbers (and yes, that's a loose assumption), and assuming no special marketing beyond what would go into a home-and-home (another big assumption), I'd say the game would draw anywhere from 6,000 to 10,000 in Atlanta. Not bad for a neutral-site, non-HBCU I-AA game, I guess. But worth renting out the Ga. Dome? Whoever's putting this thing together would have a lot of work to do to fill more seats.

This thread has been interesting, but I haven't heard what I really wanted to know from Eagles fans: has there been a single word, rumor, hint of anything like this from Statesboro? Yes or no?

parr90
August 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Georgia Southern had 16,646 students in fall 2005. I'd call that close to to 17,000. And if you'll re-read my "nice observation" above, you'll see that GSU drew just over one-third of its students from the Atlanta area (plus the three counties I threw in because JSU draws well from them). One third does not equal "most."

But I didn't make those observations to say that Georgia Southern wouldn't draw well in Atlanta. I did it to counter the assumption that JSU wouldn't be a draw in Atlanta.

So, I'm hearing two different types of responses from GSU fans here: 1) Eagles fans probably wouldn't be interested in a neutral site game in Atlanta and 2) GSU fans would show up in big numbers for a game in Atlanta. Which is it?

My estimate of the number of JSU fans who'd show up for a 2007 game in Atlanta: 3,000. My reasoning: JSU supporters equalled (outnumbered?) the home crowd at Samford last season (att: 7,643), a game that's a similar drive from J'ville as a game in Atlanta would be. If 2006 turns out to be a really good year for the Gamecocks - wins over Furman and/or Mississippi State (I know), another OVC title and a deeper run into the playoffs - that number could be 4,000 to 5,000.

Assuming GSU would draw similar numbers (and yes, that's a loose assumption), and assuming no special marketing beyond what would go into a home-and-home (another big assumption), I'd say the game would draw anywhere from 6,000 to 10,000 in Atlanta. Not bad for a neutral-site, non-HBCU I-AA game, I guess. But worth renting out the Ga. Dome? Whoever's putting this thing together would have a lot of work to do to fill more seats.

This thread has been interesting, but I haven't heard what I really wanted to know from Eagles fans: has there been a single word, rumor, hint of anything like this from Statesboro? Yes or no?

If we were playing Furman or North Carolina or somone like that we would bring over 20 thousand but playing you chumps is kind of a discrace so not many people would want to come.

Eaglegus2
August 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I haven't heard Jax State's name mentioned as a team we would play in The Dome.

I have heard of Jackson State, but I heard one of their asst. coaches say they would play Georgia Southern when donkeys fly.

I realize you are hearing two different sides from Georgia Southern voice their views. I can say this! If a game was to materialize, you would see those opposed to a game in The Dome sitting there supporting the Eagles.

Also, your estimation on game attendance would be off considerably. The game day attendance would be over 20K.:nod:

JaxSinfonian
August 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I haven't heard Jax State's name mentioned as a team we would play in The Dome.

I have heard of Jackson State, but I heard one of their asst. coaches say they would play Georgia Southern when donkeys fly.

Can you say where you heard it? Any chance your source might be confusing the two JSUs? The game has been described here as "a virtual certainty."

From The Anniston Star story (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2006/as-college-0805-0-6h05a3221.htm) that got me to start this thread:

College football notebook: Gamecocks to Georgia Dome? 08-05-2006

JACKSONVILLE — A hurdle still needs to be cleared, but it's a virtual certainty Jacksonville State will play the first of three straight football season openers in Atlanta next year.
The Gamecocks are in talks with Georgia Southern for a 2007 season opener at the Georgia Dome. They also are to open the 2008 and 2009 seasons at Georgia Tech.
The Dome deal would pay JSU a $100,000 guarantee, but the Gamecocks have to move their game with Chattanooga to another date in the season.
“There's a little minor detail of getting to move one of the schools we're playing right now,” JSU athletic director Jim Fuller said during Friday's Football Media Day. “It's not finalized, obviously, but we feel very comfortable about that.
“We've talked about the corridor in our sports running from the Mississippi line over across through Birmingham right on into Atlanta. If we can do that, that'll put us three years running in Atlanta.”
The Gamecocks have played Georgia Southern four times since 1992 - three times since 1998 - and are 0-4 in those games. They gave up 51, 51 and 41 points to the Eagles in the last three meetings, but Georgia Southern is a team the Gamecocks believe they have to play to establish themselves as a contender on their level.
“We just become a higher profile program if we extend ourselves all the way into that space,” JSU coach Jack Crowe said. “Playing over there three years in a row can't do nothing but make us grow.”

Also, your estimation on game attendance would be off considerably. The game day attendance would be over 20K.:nod:

Is that your prediction for Eagles fans, or for the game overall? Just curious.

Eaglegus2
August 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Can you say where you heard it? Any chance your source might be confusing the two JSUs? The game has been described here as "a virtual certainty."

From The Anniston Star story (http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/2006/as-college-0805-0-6h05a3221.htm) that got me to start this thread:

Is that your prediction for Eagles fans, or for the game overall? Just curious.

It is possible that the game with Jackson State fell through.

Looks like Jacksonville State is interested in The Dome game.

Originally, it was a promoter doing all of the negoiations. Having a guaranteed payoff, I would guess the promoter is still doing the negoiations.

The attendance for The Dome game will depend on how well the game is marketed. Should Georgia Southern have a superb year? I would expect to see at 30K fans from all teams in The Dome.

The key is marketing and I expect whomever is puting up the money will do whatever it takes to make money on this game.

Here are numbers I believe it will cost:

Guarantee Per Team
$100, 000 for GSU
$100,000 for JSU

Dome Rent
$250,000

TOTAL COST

$450,000

I would guess the tickets go for $25.00. You can do the math on how many fans need to buy a ticket to break even.

18,000 paid................just my :twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
August 6th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Corporate Sponsorships