PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peek @ new GSU helmets

Baldy
August 5th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Yes, GA Southern, not Grambling. Just humor me Tiger fans, please?? xlolx

All I can say is they look SHARP. A little more shine and a darker color(to me). The white stripe is gone, blue facemask and chin strap.

GSU Video (http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=78129)
Click "GSU's First Fall Practice" video for the best view.

W. DeMontague
August 5th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Hmmm..dunno.

One thing you could always count on from GSU was their trademark helmets.

CatFan22
August 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Not too sure if I like this new helmet idea.

August 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Not too sure if I like this new helmet idea.shhhhhhhhhh don't say anything. giving an opinion is not advised at times...

Tod
August 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I could not get a clear enough view. But they do look sharp, no doubt, I like it. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

TheValleyRaider
August 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM
The new helmet does look sharp, and while I'm not a fan of numbers on the helmet, it still just seems a little weird to not see it on the Eagles. :twocents:

dungeonjoe
August 5th, 2006, 07:20 AM

All I can say is they look SHARP. A little more shine and a darker color(to me). The white stripe is gone, blue facemask and chin strap.

looks like the numbers on the helmets (compared to your AGS icon) are gone too

Baldy
August 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
looks like the numbers on the helmets (compared to your AGS icon) are gone too
These are the "practice helmets". They will add the numbers (maybe the white stripe too) before the season starts.

Ronbo
August 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Or the Eagle Head with the GS on each side and no stripe.

Baldy
August 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Or the Eagle Head with the GS on each side and no stripe.
Very doubtful. Contrary to the rumor mill you hear on AGS, you'll probably see the numbers for at least 1 more season. After that, who knows?

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
The pressing question for me is whether Van Gorder will be sporting the mustache or not. My vote is yes.

The Gadfly
August 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
It wouldn't be the same without the numbers :( . I can see the new coach changing the helmet design though.

MarkCCU
August 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm more interested in seeing what will happen with the coach that has been arrested.

Go...gate
August 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Geez, why did they need to change? They were great!!! :twocents:

GrizFoo
August 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
My first thought was "Noooo" don't change'em. But I like them big time. Just no gawdy decals please, it wouldn't be right. Numbers or GSU or nothing.

foghorn
August 5th, 2006, 07:37 PM
All solid dark blue helmets look great! It has that football 'ominous' look. No gaudy-looking decals. Now get your AD to put us on your schedule. :)

colgate13
August 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
These are the "practice helmets". They will add the numbers (maybe the white stripe too) before the season starts.

I have to think so too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every program start out fall practice with nothing on them, so decals/stripes don't get banged up before the first game?

Colgate's will be plain maroon all throughout camp. The 'gate will get added once school starts...

TheValleyRaider
August 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Colgate's will be plain maroon all throughout camp. The 'gate will get added once school starts...

Well, that's the idea, at least...

colgate13
August 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Well, that's the idea, at least...

you can bet your ass that won't happen again!

Baldy
August 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I have to think so too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every program start out fall practice with nothing on them, so decals/stripes don't get banged up before the first game?

Same here, that's how it's been with GSU...plain helmets, etc.

I was just pointing out the new "metallic" (kinda) color with the solid facemasks and chinstraps. I was hearing how good it looked for the past several weeks. I'm glad to finally see it for real. I really like the monochrome look. I honestly believe the "game" helmet will look better without the white stripe.

Go...gate
August 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I have to think so too.

We can only hope. I can see it now - somebody from Syracuse or Cornell breaks into the Colgate football office and steals all the decals.

ErkPeterson
August 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Personally I hope the darker helmet and face mask is the only change I see. I'll still love my Eagles if we come out with pink helmets and a spounge-Bob on the side. IMO they are the best uni's in 1-AA plus the tradition behind why they are so "simple". There is a time and change for everything. Lord knows us Eagle fans have had our share in the past 8 months.
:bang:

LacesOut
August 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Ok all I see/saw was a plain dark blue helmet. Wasn't there another thread with the actual logo's/decals that GSU will be using?

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The new helmets should look something like the ones they use @ UMass-Darthmouth:

http://www.umassd.edu/sports/football/04/fb04ccg2.jpg

It is a darker blue than the previous helmets and has a hint of metallic (but not too much). The new facemasks look great IMO.

Also, all the helmets will have either a 85 or TC on the back in memory of Teddy.

As for numbers or the GS logo(http://www.teamline.cc/images/logos/gasouthn.gif)

being on the side, we are not quite sure right now. For some reason that is super top secret information. I'm friends with a few of the players, and they aren't even sure which one it is yet. We will just have to wait and see.

Kill'em
August 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
The A.D. said the numbers will be replaced but not this year. They don't think any of the logos will look good on the helmets so they want another design. Yes, the helmets will have some type of fancy logo because Coach VanGorder wants to market the school by people seeing the logo everywhere. He also wants to be and look first-class so the numbers will go.: smh :

OL FU
August 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have read this thread four times.
Doesn't matter what they look like I am not going to like 'em :nono: :D

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe they'll come up with something and bring out the old Helmets on special occasions in the future....Like maybe the Furman game..

ngineer
August 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I've been used to seeing GSU's helmet with the numbers and stripe--actually reminds me somewhat of Penn State's-only with numbers and reversed colors. I sort of wish we'd 'jazz' up ours. If they want to stay with the 'old gold', I'd like to see a return to the '49er style with the white and two brown stripes over the middle and the oval "LU" on the side. The white stripe on the helmet actually helps the QB find the receiver, but I think cost may be a factor, too...

Kill'em
August 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I've been used to seeing GSU's helmet with the numbers and stripe--actually reminds me somewhat of Penn State's-only with numbers and reversed colors. I sort of wish we'd 'jazz' up ours. If they want to stay with the 'old gold', I'd like to see a return to the '49er style with the white and two brown stripes over the middle and the oval "LU" on the side. The white stripe on the helmet actually helps the QB find the receiver, but I think cost may be a factor, too...
Penn St used to have numbers on their helmets.

flexbone
August 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I would have to agree. Our current LOGO's - Athletic and University would NOT look good on a helmet. I guess I'm old school but I wish they would keep the stripe and #'s. It would look really good with the new color and facamask, IMO. I think Alabama has proven you can have just the #'s and it represent your school pretty good.

Kill'em
August 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
The moral of the story:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE... DON'T BREAK IT!

psc2445
August 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I have always been a fan of GSU's plain #ed helmet