PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Youngstown State to Play Ohio State in 2007 and 2008!

FlyYtown
August 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Source: WTAM1100 in Cleveland (http://wtam.com)

Listening to WTAM 1100, Snyder said Youngstown is going to be smiling because they will see Tressel again, YSU and OSU have reached an agreement to play in Columbus in 2007 and 2008 for football.

More to come as I hear more.

Husky Alum
August 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Will they play for the Mickey Monus Phar-Mor Trophy?

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Glad they were able to get this deal done...

I know many at YSU were hoping for it and it seemed like Jim Tressel was all behind it, for all the obvious reasons...

It'll be a nice CS win over a BS school!

Go...gate
August 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Nice going....:hurray:

Champs
August 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
BIG paychecks !! Nice to be back in the 'Shoe". One big sea of Red.

blukeys
August 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Will they play for the Mickey Monus Phar-Mor Trophy?

Good One !!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Finally scheduled !! Bonanza money and recruiting plus. Outstanding ! :nod:

August 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Finally scheduled !! Bonanza money and recruiting plus. Outstanding ! :nod:how much is "Bonanza money" anyway???

igo4uni
August 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Man, I could of sworn that this deal happened before. Am I dreaming, or drunk? I even thought that YSU was gonna play Ohio State this year. xidiotx xidiotx

FlyYtown
August 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Great News. We will be their home opener/opener for the year.

2007: September 1
2008: August 30
-------
Paladin: Does this mean NO MORE D2?

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/osu/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_osu/archives/2006_08.html#168940

igo4uni
August 4th, 2006, 09:11 PM
how much is "Bonanza money" anyway???

Ralph, everyone knows what "Bonanza money" is:
http://tuppers.com/pop/_borders/bonanza.jpg

:D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Fly, if I understand right, it probably means no D-II game. The guys in the loges will go bonkers. The PSAC schools all line up for an opening game with us . After that, they are into their schedules. Since its our opener each year, my guess is we are looking to pay a I-AA to come in for the 6th home game to satisfy the money guys in the loges.

And if not, then a 5/5 I-AA schedule and OSU.

FlyYtown
August 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Fly, if I understand right, it probably means no D-II game. The guys in the loges will go bonkers. The PSAC schools all line up for an opening game with us . After that, they are into their schedules. Since its our opener each year, my guess is we are looking to pay a I-AA to come in for the 6th home game to satisfy the money guys in the loges.

And if not, then a 5/5 I-AA schedule and OSU.

Okay thanks for the explanation..... Boy that makes me so much more excited about this teams future!!!!

GoGuins
August 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Playing in front of 106,000+ the next 3 years is pretty awesome. But you'll hear OSU fans complaining about playing a DII

August 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Playing in front of 106,000+ the next 3 years is pretty awesome. But you'll hear OSU fans complaining about playing a DIIYou mean two years... and the BS will have to contend with a CS! xlolx :nod:

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I think Go is counting the trip to Happy Valley this year with Penn St. It is already a sell-out +.

OSU will be a sell-out as well for 2 years with over 100k standard.

August 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I think Go is counting the trip to Happy Valley this year with Penn St. It is already a sell-out +.
OSU will be a sell-out as well for 2 years with over 100k standard.Ah, who pays more? I know YSU is local but... just wondering.

Champs
August 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
The rumor is YSU will get $450k a year at OSU. Still looking to confirm that.

Penn St a little less.

GannonFan
August 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Why would this eliminate YSU from playing a DII? They are playing both Penn St and Slippery Rock this year so apparently they can play both this year. Plus, 2008 is already a 12 game year for I-AA's (for those who choose to play 12) due to the calendar that year. It would be extremely odd in a 12 game schedule for YSU to play OSU (and let's face it, it's the closest thing to a certain loss as you can get - YSU's 40-0 loss to Pitt last year wasn't encouraging) and then not play a DII team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
It's cool for YSU to play Ohio State but it puts a lot of pressure on them for the playoffs depending on how their schedules are that year. Also it seems like YSU might be up to something taking all these big money games. It seemed like for years YSU would play 2 DII schools, Clarion, Slippery Rocok, IUP etc. Taking these games in which they have ZERO chance of winning i think hurts the bigger picture in what YSU should want to accomplish. I also think any team that plays money games is taking a big risk that could ultimately blow up in their faces in many ways. With that said I think they'll get sick of getting their heads hammered by PSU and OSU the next couple of years they'll realize Akron is a better option.

Mountain Panther
August 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Man, I could of sworn that this deal happened before. Am I dreaming, or drunk? I even thought that YSU was gonna play Ohio State this year. xidiotx xidiotx

You're probably thinking that they play Penn St. this year.

August 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
You're probably thinking that they play Penn St. this year.Naw, Tressel said it was gonna happen this past winter.

Paladin1aa
August 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Heres the deal-- At YSU, the BIG money guys in the loges shell out big bucks for them and demand a 6 game home schedule. The D-II game always allowed for 6 games.

Over the years, it has become increasing difficult to get I-AAs to come in and get off the D-II game, even offering a paycheck. No one wants to play YSU. Both the PSU and OSU game may change the dynamics.

The non-schollies won't play, I-AAs look to home & home, leaving a choice between I-As and D-IIs . YSU makes a fortune with the loge guys in giving them 6 games. Its possible we are also looking at something else. :nod:

Play-offs ?? Last year was a farce. Win the GFC, ranked and 20 spots ahead of teams in strenght of schedule and most categories and they get in ?? Cmon-- who we kidding here ?? We'll play for money, the GFC Championship and let the "committee" pick the 16 "toughest" teams for the play-offs.xlolx xlolx xlolx

FlyYtown
August 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Why would this eliminate YSU from playing a DII? They are playing both Penn St and Slippery Rock this year so apparently they can play both this year. Plus, 2008 is already a 12 game year for I-AA's (for those who choose to play 12) due to the calendar that year. It would be extremely odd in a 12 game schedule for YSU to play OSU (and let's face it, it's the closest thing to a certain loss as you can get - YSU's 40-0 loss to Pitt last year wasn't encouraging) and then not play a DII team.

Want to know why?
-We play Division II Slippery Rock our Opener every year, now our opener is vs. Ohio State.

-We will not go out and try to schedule a DII for week 2, because they have schedule obligations that will cause a conflict.

-If we are getting a 12th game, its not official yet is it, I'd much rather see YSU go after Kent State. It would be much more competitive and with a win, would be big for the I-AA Playoff Scam-ittee to see!

August 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Heres the deal-- ... Last year was a farce. Win the GFC, ranked and 20 spots ahead of teams in strenght of schedule and most categories and they get in ?? Cmon-- who we kidding here ??... We know you were woofed. You were the bottom GFC tri-champ and got left off for the bottom PL co-champ even though your GPI was 29 spots better.

I-AA Fan
August 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I live in Columbus, and this was quite the talk among Buckeyes last year. The report from then,when this was put together, was that YSU would be obligated from 2007 to 2010, to play as many as all 4-years (at OSU's calling) for either $800k or $900k ...I honestly forget. As of now ...it is 2 games. They (OSU) have an open date in 2010, but have not scheduled an Ohio IA program as of yet, so I look for an Ohio MAC game (not YSU) to fill that void. This means at least $800k for 2-games over the next 4-years. YSU is also promised a return date to Penn St., based on game attendance in 2006. As of now, it looks like it is a good crowd ... 80k...that will guarantee them another game. YSU was also promised a return game at Pitt, based on attendance, and YSU was their #2 game ...so that looks promising as well. This is very good, as all games are an easy bus ride, with no need to stay over.

I too hate these money games, but until last year, YSU was the only GFC school not to have played one, and this hurts them financially. As far as YSU being up to something ...most do not realize but YSU football is required (by university mandate) to be fully self-funded; this was part of the agreement when the administration voted to allow the school to go DI & build the stadium back in 1979. Football funds almost all athletics at YSU.

ucdtim17
August 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
The non-schollies won't play, I-AAs look to home & home, leaving a choice between I-As and D-IIs . YSU makes a fortune with the loge guys in giving them 6 games. Its possible we are also looking at something else. :nod:

So play home and homes like a regular team! Are you guys too good to play OOC games @ an opponent? Anyone know if we're getting a return game in Davis?

FlyYtown
August 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM
YSU is also promised a return date to Penn St., based on game attendance in 2006. As of now, it looks like it is a good crowd ... 80k...that will guarantee them another game. YSU was also promised a return game at Pitt, based on attendance, and YSU was their #2 game ...so that looks promising as well. This is very good, as all games are an easy bus ride, with no need to stay over.

A buddy of mind from PSU and a PSU article says the YSU-PSU game is already sold out, so wouldn't that mean all 107,000 seats? Or am I off???

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2006, 02:37 PM
17-- its simple economics and money. Most I-AAs have nowhere near our attendance. We are Top 10 or Top 5 EVERY YEAR. A home game at YSU would guarantee many I-AAs more money than their own home game. And YSU makes its share. Anyone who tells you that teams don't make money here is BSing the public.

YSU does not subsidize athletics with any student fees or state money. ALL athletics are funded by FB--- period. Nothing else funds athletics here-- NOTHING. Thats the way it is and won't change. Thats also why we have moved to top of the line I-A games , with BIG pay-outs. Also why we usually have 6 home games in the past with a rotating D-II home game.

We make huge money with state of the art loges that the big money guys pay BIG BUCKS for, but they demand 6 home games for the big money.

Money and economics.

wannabegaucho
August 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
So play home and homes like a regular team! Are you guys too good to play OOC games @ an opponent? Anyone know if we're getting a return game in Davis?
I hope YSU doesn't pull what Ohio State did to Washington State (no return game).

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM

I think the Penguin fan's a tad late on the news....

This has been known for at least a good 4-6 months

Regardless.....wish them luck.

FlyYtown
August 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I think the Penguin fan's a tad late on the news....

This has been known for at least a good 4-6 months

Regardless.....wish them luck.

No sir you are wrong. Sure rumors were flying about playing them, but they began last year for a possible game this year--never happened.

And I don't think we really expected this to be a multi-year thing, but it is.

Its OFFICIAL now, and sure we all thought it would happen, but twice??? I dont think so.

ucdtim17
August 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
It'd be nice to have a semi-marquee name to open the new stadium in Davis next year - YSU would do

GannonFan
August 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Want to know why?
-We play Division II Slippery Rock our Opener every year, now our opener is vs. Ohio State.

-We will not go out and try to schedule a DII for week 2, because they have schedule obligations that will cause a conflict.

-If we are getting a 12th game, its not official yet is it, I'd much rather see YSU go after Kent State. It would be much more competitive and with a win, would be big for the I-AA Playoff Scam-ittee to see!

I don't know how that rationale holds up - Slippery Rock is not a lock as a season opener in the past (Lock Haven has filled that role, as has Clarion, Edinboro - and that's just in the past 5 or so years). Heck, in the years when YSU found a way to play 2 DII teams, they played a PSAC West team in the 2nd game of the year (Clarion in 2001 and Slippery Rock in 2003). There are no set in stone schedule obligations that prevent a DII from playing OOC really anywhere in September.

As for the 12th game, it's a calendar quirk unrelated to the current proposal to have a 12th game - it's already a fact and the decision in October has nothing to do with it. Kinda like how 2003 was a 12 game year (coincidentally, a year that YSU played 2 DII teams as well as a IA in Kent St).

Like I said, just playing Ohio St doesn't seem to be any kind of an indicator in terms of what else the schedule will be.

Champs
August 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
"We know you were woofed"-- Ralph

Little late acknowledging that fact Ralph. Even the biggest dumba$$ watching I-AA ball last year knows that.

NCAA Play-off Scam-mittee !! Honesty and integrity ?? xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod:

I-AA Fan
August 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM

No return game. YSU needs at least 6 home games to fill financial obligations, and bought the UC-Davis game with no return expectations. The "loges" are only a small part of it. There are tailgate ads, program revenues, concession revenues (deal with Coke as they bought the new video board), stadium ads, and much more. College football is a business, like any other ...just because we are I-AA does not mean you have to run your program poorly. YSU grosses at least 30k on programs, 6 concession outlets that do well, sells beer to about 15k to 20k per tailgate and has a store sponsor one of the lots. Not to mention 15k to 20k in ticket sales & the impact on the local community. At an average of $8 or $9 per ticket ... the university will gross about $200k. This is also why they bring a DII club in ...the payout to UCD is around $100k ...as they are in transition ...maybe even less. YSU can get a PSAC club for a quarter of that & they are willing to take a bus. Sometimes you people need to look deeper into the reality about football. YSU has no I-AA rivals ...it is not all about egos & matching up well against your peers; it is about making the post-season and making enough money to keep the program going at a high level.

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
College football is a business, like any other ...just because we are I-AA does not mean you have to run your program poorly.

The NFL is a business. College football is not. Athletic departments may run it like a business, but that doesn't mean they have to. Sometimes money isn't the be all end all. If you can get a half mil guarantee from Ohio State, plus a sizeable guarantee from us, there are plenty of good reasons to come play a game at Davis or Poly. Recruiting exposure? I'm sure your players would jump at the opportunity to come play a game in California and get away from an Ohio november. You get a tough, competitive game to better prepare your team for the playoffs? It'd be a premiere I-AA intersectional game just like it is this year.

Husky Alum
August 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I think YSU owes NU a game in Boston, and it will likely be 08, from what I hear. If 08 is a 12 game season, I can see that happening.

I think Northwestern State will play in Boston in 2007, creating the "return of the media nightmare" game.

I also heard a rumor we may start a home/home with UC-Davis in '07, and the first game will be in Boston. Anyone from Davis hear about that?

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I also heard a rumor we may start a home/home with UC-Davis in '07, and the first game will be in Boston. Anyone from Davis hear about that?

Yeah I think I do recall hearing that a year or so ago - glad to see it's happening

ucdtim17
August 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Actually if we're getting 15k+ in the new stadium, we'll be able to pay larger guarantees and this problem will fix itself. We have a home and home with Montana in '08/'09, which is as big as it gets in I-AA

FlyYtown
August 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
UCD... Youngstown State Football is run like a business. They do all they can to run a clean operation that pleases the fans and those up in the loges. They market the games well and they got a great AD Part working to bring fans in the seats.

You go to a Minor League Baseball team and tell me they know how to run a business... then go to YSU.

YSU knows what they are doing, teams like the Mahoning Valley Scrappers [ytown minor league A team for the Indians] run an operation that in my book does not compare.

And to NE.. you sure you want that game? LOL

The YSU Football BLOG!
www.ysufootball.wordpress.com

Husky Alum
August 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
UCD... Youngstown State Football is run like a business. And to NE.. you sure you want that game? LOL

Is that the same kind of business YSU booster Mickey Monus ran? If so, sure run it that way. When it comes time for a forensic accounting investigation, I'll be back in Y-town.

As for the return to Boston, sure we'll take it. What happened the last time YSU came to Boston????

FlyYtown
August 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Is that the same kind of business YSU booster Mickey Monus ran? If so, sure run it that way. When it comes time for a forensic accounting investigation, I'll be back in Y-town.

As for the return to Boston, sure we'll take it. What happened the last time YSU came to Boston????

You act like Mickey Monus ran the Penguins. He did not, sure Ray Issac was his boy on the team, but he did not run Youngstown.

Had he made smart decisions, Phar Mor could very well be beating out the Rite Aid's-Walgreen's-CVS' of the world.

Paladin1aa
August 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
No one has announced the OSU pay-out yet, but the OSU fans are talking $450k each year for YSU.

Pretty nice paycheck. :nod:

Husky Alum
August 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
You act like Mickey Monus ran the Penguins. He did not, sure Ray Issac was his boy on the team, but he did not run Youngstown.

Had he made smart decisions, Phar Mor could very well be beating out the Rite Aid's-Walgreen's-CVS' of the world.

To quote ESPN.com

"Youngstown State's internal investigation was a sham. So little diligence went into pursuit of truth that Malmisur never confronted Monus with the allegations, nor apparently did Tressel contact Isaac, as Cochran said he had instructed them to do. Tressel, in a December 2003 interview, declined comment to ESPN.com on most aspects of the case but said he can't remember if he discussed the Monus allegations with his former player. Isaac is more definitive: "I didn't talk to nobody.""

Phar Mor wouldn't be beating out those chains because the profits they made were never legit, and the tactics used by Monus to get his low prices were illegal, at best. I've talked to the forensic accountants who investigated Phar Mor and Monus and trust me YSU wasn't an innoncent bystander in all of these things.

Nothing personal Penguin fans, but the facts are the facts.

Y'all treated us very well at YSU last year and we'll look forward to having you come to Boston.

FlyYtown
August 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM
To quote ESPN.com

"Youngstown State's internal investigation was a sham. So little diligence went into pursuit of truth that Malmisur never confronted Monus with the allegations, nor apparently did Tressel contact Isaac, as Cochran said he had instructed them to do. Tressel, in a December 2003 interview, declined comment to ESPN.com on most aspects of the case but said he can't remember if he discussed the Monus allegations with his former player. Isaac is more definitive: "I didn't talk to nobody.""

Phar Mor wouldn't be beating out those chains because the profits they made were never legit, and the tactics used by Monus to get his low prices were illegal, at best. I've talked to the forensic accountants who investigated Phar Mor and Monus and trust me YSU wasn't an innoncent bystander in all of these things.

Y'all treated us very well at YSU last year and we'll look forward to having you come to Boston.

Whether those are the facts or not, were we under playoff suspension: NO. Are we today: NO. And is Tressel or Monus in Youngstown anymore: NO.

You act like Youngstown is crime city, it really is not, sure we have our fair share of troublemakers; but what city doesn't.

Attack Youngstown all you want, but does your 35-16 showing here at Stambaugh last year really gives you that much more seniority to rip this program apart??? I don't think so.

I-AA Fan
August 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
To quote ESPN.com

Obviously you have Ytown ties, as no one else would even care about a small operation like Pharmor ...especially on a football site. So why are you talking about news form almost 2 decades ago? Monus had a stake in the Cleveland AFL team & wanted Ray Isaac to be their QB, Monus gave Isaac money and a car. This fact came to light during the Pharmor trial, as Isaac, was forced to testify about activities related to the Cleveland AFL team.

At that point a full-scale investigation was ordered by AD Tressel and President Sweet. All information was taken and given directly to the NCAA, even though there was no need to even do this. Then the university took self-imposed sanctions on the program including scholarships and recruiting trips; again with absolutely no requirement to do such. So ... if you are going to say things, say everything: Let's start with what they NCAA said ...which all that matters:

'In this case, the committee commends Youngstown State for its thorough and aggressive pursuit of information relating to the finding of violations of NCAA legislation despite the fact that these violations were beyond the four-year statute of limitations and might have resulted in the forfeiture of the institution's 1991 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship.'

over and done with years ago. Besides, aside from you and CC ...no one on this board even cares about YSU

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
WOW !!! The offical numbers have just been released. YSU gets $850K each year to play at OSU. $1.7 million for two years.

Great job, guys !! :)

Champs
August 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
YES !!! xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod:

nmatsen
August 25th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Will Tressel be getting credit for a donation to YSU with that payout? There is no way that any other team in 1-AA gets that payout. They should be thanking old boy Tressel for a little extra cash in their pockets next year.

GoGuins
August 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Will Tressel be getting credit for a donation to YSU with that payout? There is no way that any other team in 1-AA gets that payout. They should be thanking old boy Tressel for a little extra cash in their pockets next year.

Thanks Mr. Sweatervest:hurray:

Champs
August 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Like it or not, YSU is a heavy draw. Big fan base and a major attraction on the road. Penn St game this year is a sell-out!!

I look to major things in the future. :nod: :nod: :nod:

GoGuins
August 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Dan Patrick and Herbie were on ESPN radio bashing OSU for playing a I-AA and paying that much

putter
August 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM
WOW !!! The offical numbers have just been released. YSU gets $850K each year to play at OSU. $1.7 million for two years.

Great job, guys !! :)

Wow! That is a huge payout!! That kind of change will definitely fill the coffers at YSU. Good for you guys.. :thumbsup:

putter
August 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Dan Patrick and Herbie were on ESPN radio bashing OSU for playing a I-AA and paying that much

I think Patrick gets paid too much by ESPN! These guys have no clue. If these schools thought that no one would show for the games, they would never pay that amount. An in-state rivalry plus Tressel's old school will equal a packed house in Columbus.

GannonFan
August 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Like it or not, YSU is a heavy draw. Big fan base and a major attraction on the road. Penn St game this year is a sell-out!!

I look to major things in the future. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Penn St gets 100k per game regardless of who they play, even Temple. They're not playing Youngstown because they can draw more (although I'm sure YSU can draw more than Temple or a similar school at a different venue) - the game is an easy "W", that's why it's being played.

Kudos on getting $850k from Ohio St though - nothing to sneeze at there.

ucdtim17
August 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I think Patrick gets paid too much by ESPN! These guys have no clue. If these schools thought that no one would show for the games, they would never pay that amount. An in-state rivalry plus Tressel's old school will equal a packed house in Columbus.

Same goes for OSU - there'll be a packed house no matter who they play

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Ahem, Gannon. I-A Akron is not a sell-out at Penn St. and no ,100K tickets have NOT been sold for that game.

Pitt- YSU was a top draw last year for them.

Sorry, but YSU sells well.

Deal with it. :nono:

GannonFan
August 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Ahem, Gannon. I-A Akron is not a sell-out at Penn St. and no ,100K tickets have NOT been sold for that game.

Pitt- YSU was a top draw last year for them.

Sorry, but YSU sells well.

Deal with it. :nono:

Wah Wah Wah - UD sells well too so I'm dealing just fine. Bottom line is, Penn St isn't going to get less than 100k even for Akron (regardless of where the number is right now - they got 100k for S. Florida last year and 100k for Cinci). Considering a sellout is about 106k at Happy Valley, you're talking about the difference of 6k tickets. If you think Penn St scheduled YSU so that they can recoup the price of 6k tickets then you're just being silly. To them, it's a wash either way as the amount of money they make per game dwarfs the difference in gate receipts, especially when you factor in the fact the I'm sure more than a few Penn St ticket holders won't go to the game because of the opponent (no knock on YSU, a few just won't make the drive that weekend because of the opponent). That's lost revenue from parking, concessions, etc that for that size of a crowd is a good chunk of change. Penn St isn't looking at YSU and seeing dollar signs, that is, unless they are looking ahead at the chance to get into a BCS bowl.

Oh, and Youngstown was not the top draw for Pitt last year - come on, Pitt played Notre Dame at home last year (the ND crowd was 54% larger than the YSU crowd) - YSU is not outdrawing Notre Dame as a road team - although I'm sure some of the posters here think that's just a matter of time until you do. xidiotx