PDA

View Full Version : Stats of interest thread

BisonFan02
October 23rd, 2012, 02:23 AM
For those interested in stats, please list a few of interest for your respective team. I know there are a at least a few out there that tell quite the story, and I'm interested to see what you guys come up with.

NDSU D:

Through 7 games, NDSU has allowed a total of 6 Offensive TDs and 1 FG. Three of the TDs came against UNI and two of them (including 1 against UNI, the other against Prairie View) came during "mop up" time with the game in hand. Including the other 2 TDs/Pick sixes, the Bison have given up a total of 59 points or 8.43 per game. The Bison have scored 292 or 41.71 per game. That's bananas.

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2012, 02:35 AM
Offensive TD's you mean? Or defense has allowed a total of 6 TD's?

BisonFan02
October 23rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
Offensive TD's you mean? Or defense has allowed a total of 6 TD's?

Corrected. I was trying to split up the 6 TDs from the 2 that came via pick six. 1/4th of the TDs allowed by the Bison have been via interception.

bonarae
October 23rd, 2012, 05:15 AM
Harvard:
Scoring: All of the wins this season have been by at least 14 points. Princeton beat us by 5, with their 29 unanswered fourth quarter points. xsmhx
Passing: Pass completion percentage for all games but the San Diego game has been at least 60%, with the Brown game at 75%.
Rushing: Rush averages for each game have at least 4 yards/carry, with each game not having less than 27 carries (as team).
Kicking: We have had only 5 FG attempts on the season, with 3 made. (0/1 Princeton, 1/1 Holy Cross, 1/1 Brown, 1/2 Cornell)
Defense: Unfortunately for us, only 2 blocked special teams attempts, no pick six's, fumble recoveries for TD's, safeties...

So, in the overall sense, defense is the weaker side of the ball... I think that might explain why we melted down at Princeton. xsmhx

Grizalltheway
October 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Despite being in the top 15 nationally in rushing offense, the Griz still punt more than any other team in the BSC.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
I like this one.

National FCS Leaders in Team Defense
1. North Dakota St: 185.71 ypg
2. Georgia Southern: 274.71 ypg

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Delaware State:

-Delaware State was second among all FCS schools with a +1.7 turnover margin entering last week's game vs NC A&T.
-The Hornets have forced 20 turnovers this season, after collecting 13 for all of the 2011 campaign.
-Elko has now thrown 141 straight passes without an interception
-Wilson now has 1,990 receiving yards to move into fourth place in team history.
-First shutout since 2007
-Three straight conference wins since 2007

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I remember reading an article by a Syracuse newspaper leading up to Stony Brook's game against the Orange where they described the Seawolves offense as "Run First, Throw Never", which was true the first 2 weeks of the year. With Walter Payton award contender Miguel Maysonet (2nd in FCS in yards/game) and Iowa transfer Marcus Coker, it's definitely a run first offense. But lo and behold, 3/4 of the way through the season, Seawolves quarterback Kyle Essington has the highest quarterback rating in FCS football:

1. Kyle Essington, Stony Brook, 185.23
2. Colton Chapple, Harvard, 176.99
3. T.J. Pryor, E. Kentucky, 174.38
4. Taylor Heinicke, Old Dominion, 160.78
5. Gavin McCarney, Colgate, 159.57

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/1005

By the way, in that Syracuse game, Syracuse was all geared up to stop the run and on the first drive of the game Essington threw a 63-yard bomb to Kevin Norell for a TD.

tingly
October 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cal Poly has the same story, mostly rushing with what would be the #3 passer had the QB met the minimum. But then part of the reason he's so effective with passing is because passes are uncommon, 12/game.

Vitojr130
October 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
I like this one.

It's because we haven't faced the dreaded triple option xlolx

HailSzczur
October 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Villanova is on pace to have not 1, but 2 1,000yd rushers this year: Kevin Monangai (on pace for for 1088) and John Robertson (on pace for 1,000 even). There have only been 5 1,000 yard rushers in school history (Westbrook x3, Ball, Stifford)

The offense is actually putting up better numbers than the high octane offense from the '09 NC year.
+29 rushing yds per game
+21 passing yds per game
+0.4 yds per play

And another interesting stat comparison to '09, average attendence is up 5 people per game xthumbsupx

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I like this one.

Yards per game is stupid. It doesn't take into account the pace of the game. Did your defense have to work against 50 plays or 70? Yards per play more accurately measures a defense's performance.

North Dakota State: 3.72 ypp
Georgia Southern: 4.51 ypp

Congratulations....you're 3/4 of a yard better against much worse competition :)

sgt smash
October 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Like Citadel?

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Yards per game is stupid. It doesn't take into account the pace of the game. Did your defense have to work against 50 plays or 70? Yards per play more accurately measures a defense's performance.

Congratulations....you're 3/4 of a yard better against much worse competition :)
I'm not trying to knock GSU. I'm just pointing out the massive gap between 1st and 2nd in total team defense. And .75 yards per play is also a very significant gap, the average game has roughly 75 plays ran each way.

And FWIW, NDSU's schedule is ranked 172 by Sagarin. GSU's is 181.

MTfan4life
October 23rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
After TheFan left, I didn't think we'd be seeing stat comparison threads/posts like these. I guess the basis of some of his completely irrelevant arguments must have stuck with some of the posters on here.

sgt smash
October 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Also lest say team A starts the game with an 80 yard pass play to the endzone. The opposing team goes on a few long drives like 9 or 10 minute drives and scores. Meanwhile team A fumbles on second down. Goes three and out and muffs a couple punts for a total offensive play total of lets just say they had 8 plays. At approx 10 yards a play is that indicative of how good Team A is? There is always more than one way to look at things.

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
After TheFan left, I didn't think we'd be seeing stat comparison threads/posts like these. I guess the basis of some of his completely irrelevant arguments must have stuck with some of the posters on here.
Prepare to have your assets frozen!

bisonboone11
October 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM

Would you prefer points allowed per game? :)

1. North Dakota State: 8.43 ppg
2. Indiana State: 12.38 ppg
3. Alabama A&M: 13.86 ppg
4. Georgia Southern: 14.43 ppg

bjtheflamesfan
October 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Liberty has not been shut out in a game since 2005, a stretch of 74 consecutive games
Liberty has two of the top 3 rushers in conference, and has allowed the fewest 100+ yard rushing games in the Big South (1)

blueballs
October 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Two incredible stats:

1) GSU is the only FCS school ranked in the top 10 nationally in both yards per play gained offensively and yards per play allowed defensively.

2) GSU is the only opponent to score more than 14 points against Alabama in 2011 & 2012.

BisonFan02
October 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM

Guess my intention wasn't to turn this into a dick measuring contest, but I should know better. I'm just curious about what other teams have been able to accomplish this year sans the research (I'm lazy :D). I like to keep my finger on the FCS pulse as much as possible, and this forum is as good as any to do so.

danefan
October 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Drew Smith from Albany leads the nation in scoring with 12.85 points per game. He has 14 rushing TDs and 680 yards on 125 carries so far this year. Also has 161 receiving yards and 1 TD.

He has a TD in every game this year and has a streak of back-to-back-to-back 3 TD games

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM

I would say that their defense is better overall than ours, but I would say we've definitely faced better offenses across the board. The worst offense we've faced all year is Jacksonville, and I'd put their O ahead of USD's and Prairie View A&M. Also, the highest ranked offense that they have played all year is 42nd Youngstown State.

Walkon79
October 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
DeNarius McGhee has throw at least one touchdown pass in EVERY start for the Bobcats. 31 games in a row and counting!!

I wonder what the FCS record is??

Fear the Bird
October 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
DeNarius McGhee has throw at least one touchdown pass in EVERY start for the Bobcats. 31 games in a row and counting!!

I wonder what the FCS record is??

Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross, 2006-2009, 42 games

The NCAA record is 46 games by a D2 QB from Central Washington

kbswish22
October 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

While YPG does have pace based flaws, if your defense only has to work against 50 plays because the other team rarely gets first downs, then YPP doesn't tell the whole story of dominance like YPG does.

Vitojr130
October 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
I would say that their defense is better overall than ours, but I would say we've definitely faced better offenses across the board. The worst offense we've faced all year is Jacksonville, and I'd put their O ahead of USD's and Prairie View A&M. Also, the highest ranked offense that they have played all year is 42nd Youngstown State.

Maybe the way to look at this is that they are 42nd because they already had NDSU's defense on their schedule. If I remember right, YSU was averaging over 400 yards per game before the NDSU matchup...

Edit: NDSU held YSU to 211 yards. The derailment then ensued.

bjtheflamesfan
October 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Another interesting stat:

Liberty has not lost a game at home when scoring at LEAST 30 points since 1991 (JMU 35-34), but has lost four straight road games vs. FCS competition when allowing at least 30 points

HandoEX
October 23rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Maybe the way to look at this is that they are 42nd because they already had NDSU's defense on their schedule. If I remember right, YSU was averaging over 400 yards per game before the NDSU matchup...

Edit: NDSU held YSU to 211 yards. The derailment then ensued.

Actually, YSU is still churning yards, just giving the ball away at an alarming rate.

Here's what our opponents have gained vs NDSU and vs the rest of their schedule...
RMU: 88/324
CSU: 243/340
PVA&M: 210/404
UNI: 285/397
YSU: 211/365
ISUb: 195/329
USD: 76/324

Every team the Bison have faced have had their lowest offensive output of the season against NDSU (186 yards avg against NDSU and 355 yards avg against the rest of their schedules). The teams NDSU has played have also faced 6 BCS and 11 FBS defenses, with NDSU's squad still holding them to their lowest yardage output.

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Buttbama

Cap'n Obvious
October 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
A couple more meaningless stats for ya.........
In 100% of the games played so far this season, the team that has scored the most points in each game has won.
In contrast, in 100% of the games played so far this season, the team that has scored less than the opposition has lost.
xcoolx

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
In 100% of the games played so far this season, the team that has scored the most points in each game has won.
In contrast, in 100% of the games played so far this season, the team that has scored less than the opposition has lost.
xcoolx

Unless you count moral victories against Alabama. Then other factors come into play.

Cap'n Obvious
October 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Unless you count moral victories against Alabama. Then other factors come into play.
I leave moral victories to teams that claim runner up finishes and for fans that need legends to decipher their signatures........FTW.

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I leave moral victories to teams that claim runner up finishes and for fans that need legends to decipher their signatures........FTW.

Buttbama.

Cap'n Obvious
October 23rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Stat o' the day - 50% of posts by Twentysix in this thread so far make reference to "butt".

Vitojr130
October 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Stat o' the day - 50% of posts by Twentysix in this thread so far make reference to "butt".

No no no no... It's "ButtBama!?!?" referring to the argument that a certain teams offense is unstoppable due to a moral victory at Alabama in bygones past... It was proven false...

Professor Chaos
October 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
No no no no... It's "ButtBama!?!?" referring to the argument that a certain teams offense is unstoppable due to a moral victory at Alabama in bygones past... It was proven false...
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?103294-NDSU-Better-than-Bama

:D

NorCalJack
October 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
South Dakota State Running Back, Zach Zenner has 8 rushing TD's this year and he is averaging 58.6 yards per TD run.

344Johnson
October 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
South Dakota State Running Back, Zach Zenner has 8 rushing TD's this year and he is averaging 58.6 yards per TD run.

Stat of the day. This is obscene.

gsu2583
October 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM

Better a moral victory against Alabama than a straight up loss to an unranked FCS for while you hold the #1 slot.

BTW - GSU is 8-0 when we don't complete a pass... I think.

DSUrocks07
October 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM

From goJacks.com profile on Zenner

Zach enjoyed an outstanding season on the practice field in 2010, earning Offensive Scout Player of the Year honors

I didn't know that award existed...xcoolx

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
HAD TA BE...UH TEAM...TROPHY........CAIN'T BE UH NATIONAL...xdontknowx...HOWEVERAH......AH'VE BEEN KNOWN ....TA BE MIS-GUIDED...IN DUH PAST....BUK...BUK...BRAWK!

PS...IFIN' YA DON'T KEEP SCORE....AN' EVERAH ONE GETS BLING.......MAYBE!

Cap'n Obvious
October 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM

Oh.....didn't realize we were having that argument so thanks for clarifying. Guessing that offense was stopped?

sgt smash
October 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM
xcoolx

I know this is an FCS board, but that Seahawks -Packers game disproved this stat.

WeAreNorthDakota
October 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM
UND's single season passing touchdowns record is 24 set by current assistant coach Danny Freund. Braden Hanson and Marcus Hendrickson have combined to throw 25 touchdowns this season with 3 games left to play.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM

As opposed to some NDSU fans acting like they are unstoppable for mowing down the fourth-rate FBS teams that are willing to play them year in and year-out?

After that "moral victory", pundits were asking if Alabama's defense was overrated because of what Georgia Southern did. The nationally televised Alabama Auburn game mentioned us several times. A lot of people are pointing out for a while now how many consecutive games Alabama has held opponents under 20 points other than Georgia Southern. It's not much, but it's certainly infinitely more national attention than you get for beating bad FBS teams and (sadly) infinitely more than you got for winning the national championship.

More people know about our "moral victory" than can name last year's FCS national champion. C'est la vie. xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
As opposed to some NDSU fans acting like they are unstoppable for mowing down the fourth-rate FBS teams that are willing to play them year in and year-out?

After that "moral victory", pundits were asking if Alabama's defense was overrated because of what Georgia Southern did. The nationally televised Alabama Auburn game mentioned us several times. A lot of people are pointing out for a while now how many consecutive games Alabama has held opponents under 20 points other than Georgia Southern. It's not much, but it's certainly infinitely more national attention than you get for beating bad FBS teams and (sadly) infinitely more than you got for winning the national championship.

More people know about our "moral victory" than can name last year's FCS national champion. C'est la vie. xcoffeex
And more people know about Jerry Sandusky than who won the BCS national title last year. As was my argument about FBS vs FCS if your goal is to get Joe Bloe in Albuquerque to know who you are than by all means go FBS. Personally I'm happy with a rabid, but almost exclusively regional, fan following (as long as FCS stays for the most part as it is today).

silkamilkamonico
October 24th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I hardly don't think GSU is arguing any moral victory against Alabama. I mean, if they are, does that mean NDSU could beat them? NDSU beat the living piss out of GSU last year. I think everyone just need to let those games last year go.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I know this is an FCS board, but that Seahawks -Packers game disproved this stat.

The Seahawks did end the game with more points despite how horrendous the call was to give them the last 7 of those.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blueballs
October 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
And more people know about Jerry Sandusky than who won the BCS national title last year. As was my argument about FBS vs FCS if your goal is to get Joe Bloe in Albuquerque to know who you are than by all means go FBS. Personally I'm happy with a rabid, but almost exclusively regional, fan following (as long as FCS stays for the most part as it is today).

That is the stated goal of Georgia Southern's President, to raise the awareness of the university on a national scale. That is why GSU is moving towards FBS, not because they are too good for FCS, but because being FBS more closely aligns with the administration's goals to promote the university as a whole. The actual quote was, "Athletics is the front porch of the university."

blueballs
October 24th, 2012, 10:18 AM
As for GSU putting up more points against Alabama than anybody else in 2011 and YTD, it is true. It is also true that GSU had a bad day against NDSU, leaving at least 10 points on the field by going inside the NDSU 10 twice and coming away empty. All credit goes to NDSU, they caused the situation that made those empty trips happen.

Those two items have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Different games, different opponents, different circumstances.

I think if I was a NDSU supporter I'd be more worried about my offense at this point rather than a random GSU fan posting true statistics.

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Through 7 games, NDSU has allowed a total of 6 Offensive TDs and 1 FG. Three of the TDs came against UNI and two of them (including 1 against UNI, the other against Prairie View) came during "mop up" time with the game in hand.

The cumulative records of your opponents thus far is 18-31. The average offensive rank/output of your opponents to date is 81st in the nation. No doubt you have a stout defense, but the competition (to date) puts that in a little perspective.

Conversely, Georgia Southern's opponents have a 27-26 record and an average offensive ranking of 47 nationally.

Had to throw that out there. :)

silkamilkamonico
October 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
As for GSU putting up more points against Alabama than anybody else in 2011 and YTD, it is true. It is also true that GSU had a bad day against NDSU, leaving at least 10 points on the field by going inside the NDSU 10 twice and coming away empty. All credit goes to NDSU, they caused the situation that made those empty trips happen.

Those two items have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Different games, different opponents, different circumstances.

I think if I was a NDSU supporter I'd be more worried about my offense at this point rather than a random GSU fan posting true statistics.

Hardly worried about our offense.

!) Our offense is more than capable. Our Wr's are getting healthy and so are our RB's. We have one of the most explosive RB's in FCS in Crockett and a plethora of WR's who are consistent.

2) With NDsu's defense, our offense just doesn't need to do stupid stuff like turn the ball over (Indiana ST), and considering that was one game in their 2 years i don't think it's anything that needs to be worried.

Humble Steward
October 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM
B-CU continues to be aggressive on defense.

Games are decided by turnovers. The Wildcats are not coincidentally ranked No. 1 in the nation among FCS teams in turnover margin (2.43 per game, plus-17 total) and No. 4 in interceptions (13). They also have been taking advantage of some error-prone teams. D.J. Howard returned a fumble 69 yards for a TD in the 48-3 win over Norfolk State on Saturday, while Nick Addison returned an interception 45 yards to the NSU 7 to set up a TD.

bisonboone11
October 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
The cumulative records of your opponents thus far is 18-31. The average offensive rank/output of your opponents to date is 81st in the nation. No doubt you have a stout defense, but the competition (to date) puts that in a little perspective.

Conversely, Georgia Southern's opponents have a 27-26 record and an average offensive ranking of 47 nationally.

Had to throw that out there. :)
Wasn't that the argument people were using last year, saying that the Missouri Valley Conference does not have high scoring offenses, and that was the reason NDSU's scoring defense looked so good? I believe NDSU's conference opponents averaged approximately 16 ppg against NDSU last year. The non-conference opponents in the playoffs averaged less than 7 ppg against NDSU. Are you going to argue that the level of competition for NDSU in the playoffs was less than that of their competition in the regular season?

silkamilkamonico
October 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
The non-conference opponents in the playoffs averaged less than 7 ppg against NDSU.

If I remember correctly, 3 of those teams NDSU faced in the playoffs were top 10 offenses.

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Wasn't that the argument people were using last year, saying that the Missouri Valley Conference does not have high scoring offenses, and that was the reason NDSU's scoring defense looked so good? I believe NDSU's conference opponents averaged approximately 16 ppg against NDSU last year. The non-conference opponents in the playoffs averaged less than 7 ppg against NDSU. Are you going to argue that the level of competition for NDSU in the playoffs was less than that of their competition in the regular season?

I'm not talking about last year or the playoffs from last year. I'm talking about THIS YEAR. It's just an observation I threw out in light of the 'stellar' defensive numbers NDSU is putting up. It's just context. If it holds true again this year in the playoffs, THEN you're on to something there.

Right now you're opponent's average national DEFENSIVE rank (to date) is 60th, that's right in the middle of the pack.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM

As I said before, the common denominator between all the teams that shut us down on offense last year was that they forced the QB run. Alabama didn't do that and we were able to have a decent day on offense. Chatty (in the second half), El Cid, and App. State all did that and all held us to fewer yards than NDSU did.

We just didn't get the big plays against NDSU like we did against El Cid (huge TD pass) and App (punt return for a TD). And after we went for it on fourth and goal when the score was 20-7 we went into desperation mode, perhaps too early, and that made the game look like it was more one-sided than it really was. We would have lost just the same, but not by 28.

clenz
October 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
UNI is 0-2 this season in D1 games where we score at least 30........

grayghost06
October 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
If I remember correctly, 3 of those teams NDSU faced in the playoffs were top 10 offenses.

Certainly not ours!

frozennorth
October 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
are GSU fans really trying to argue that they have a better defense than NDSU? Seems the best argument so far is that NDSU played a pair of really really bad fcs creampuffs with terrible records, and the backups gave up some yards.

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM
are GSU fans really trying to argue that they have a better defense than NDSU? Seems the best argument so far is that NDSU played a pair of really really bad fcs creampuffs with terrible records, and the backups gave up some yards.

Not at all. Just that your D isn't "all that" so far. The real meat of your schedule is coming up (as is ours.) We will reconvene and see how it ends up.

silkamilkamonico
October 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Not at all. Just that your D isn't "all that" so far. The real meat of your schedule is coming up (as is ours.) We will reconvene and see how it ends up.

I can respect that argument. If that holds true for NDSU than it holds true for every team in FCS, including temas like MSU, and GSU.

Nobody's D is all that.

I can honestly say this. NDSU's defense this year is significantly better (yes, significantly) than the defense that completely shut down 3 top 10 offenses last year in the playoffs.

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I can honestly say this. NDSU's defense this year is significantly better (yes, significantly) than the defense that completely shut down 3 top 10 offenses last year in the playoffs.

We did give you the ball THREE times (once on our 17, once on your 3, and once on your 41.) Not trying to split hairs here, but not sure that is getting shut down as much as it is simply imploding. the bISUn got 21 points off those turnovers. We didn't play D or O well that day.

In the woulda-coulda-shoulda analysis, we could have legitimately punched it in from your 3 yard line, but maybe stop you on one of the other two turnovers? Then it's a 21-14 game.

In my mind I could have been "pleased" with THAT loss. As it was, it's still a bur under my saddle.

coover
October 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM

So Georgia Southern has "moral" victories? I guess they think they are better than everbody else. Or maybe they mean "morale" victories.

Definition: mor·al

[ máwrəl ]

1.involving right and wrong: relating to issues of right and wrong and to how individual people should behave
2.derived from personal conscience: based on what somebody's conscience suggests is right or wrong, rather than on what rules or the law says should be done
3.according to common standard of justice: regarded in terms of what is known to be right or just, as opposed to what is officially or outwardly declared to be right or just

Definition: mo·rale

[ mə rál ]

1.how somebody feels emotionally: the general level of confidence or optimism felt by a person or group of people, especially as it affects discipline and motivation

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm436/gsu2583/tumblr_ll1sz08Vle1qfupefo1_500_zps4b4f39a9.gif

Cap'n Obvious
October 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Stat 1 - Georgia Southern fans are quick to reflect on past accomplishments.
Stat 2 - NDSU fans think they are God's gift to the football world.

bjtheflamesfan
October 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Ok what was the over/under on how soon before GSU and NDSU fans turned this into another thread all about them...

DoubleH
October 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Towson leads the nation in disgruntled former players crying to the media.

The nation, mind you.

Pard4Life
October 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Lehigh: zero players with an IQ above 100.

Vitojr130
October 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
We did give you the ball THREE times (once on our 17, once on your 3, and once on your 41.) Not trying to split hairs here, but not sure that is getting shut down as much as it is simply imploding. the bISUn got 21 points off those turnovers. We didn't play D or O well that day.

Now, did you "give" us the turnovers or did our defense "take" the turnovers from you. There is a big difference here. If I remember right, all GSU's turnovers in that game were fumbles, likely caused by Heagle, who single handily destroyed your TO. It was not thrown directly at him and they certainly didn't hand it to him, so it must have been a "take".

An example of "giving" a turnover is our ISU-b game this year.

gsu2583
October 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Point taken, but any time we don't protect the ball sufficiently is a "give" in my book. I thought the fumble near your goal line was a mishandled snap. Can't remember for sure.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
EWU Kickers are perfect on the season for FGs

Jimmy Pavel is 11/11
Kevin Miller is 1/1.

Big Sky kickers have combined to make 111-of-143 field goal attempts for a 77.6-percent success rate, which edges the Missouri Valley Conference (77 percent) for the FCS lead
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4538258

Also, EWU has scored on 21 of 22 redzone trips. xnodx

frozennorth
October 24th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Point taken, but any time we don't protect the ball sufficiently is a "give" in my book. I thought the fumble near your goal line was a mishandled snap. Can't remember for sure.

the one has a forced fumble on a long reception.

darell1976
October 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?org=494&year=2012&week=17
Out of 121 FCS teams:

UND's offense:

Rushing Offense: 51st 157.13/game
Passing Offense: 8th 315.75/game
Total Offense: 9th 472.88/game (only stat that UND is #1 in the Big Sky)
Scoring Offense: 11th 37.38/game

Defense:

Rushing Defense: 108th 220.50/game
Total Defense: 106th 453/game
Scoring Defense: 98th 33.50/game

Jr WR Greg Hardin:

2012: 48 for 943 yds and 12 TD's (with 3 games left)
2011: 43 for 549 yds and 3 TD's
2010: 41 for 736 yds and 9 TD's

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Now, did you "give" us the turnovers or did our defense "take" the turnovers from you. There is a big difference here. If I remember right, all GSU's turnovers in that game were fumbles, likely caused by Heagle, who single handily destroyed your TO. It was not thrown directly at him and they certainly didn't hand it to him, so it must have been a "take".

An example of "giving" a turnover is our ISU-b game this year.

Give and Take actually depends on which team you are cheering for. I see when your team gets TOs you assume you took them, when NDSU turns it over you say you gave it. Perspective is everything.

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2012, 10:06 PM
UNI at 2-5 has actually out scored our opponents by 42 points (210-168).

alvinkayak6
October 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM
People need to stop talking about field goal percentage. It's annoying when you are not even attempting to differentiate between a 19-yarder and 60-yarder. Fordham's Patrick Murray puts up more field goal yards against Cincinnati than some of these other guys do in a year.

344Johnson
October 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Give and Take actually depends on which team you are cheering for. I see when your team gets TOs you assume you took them, when NDSU turns it over you say you gave it. Perspective is everything.

Exactly.

Georgia Southern's first turnover was a giveaway. Jaybo fumbled the rock without being touched I believe. The second two turnovers were takeaways. A strip near the goal line and Jaybo getting hit as he was getting ready to throw.

In the NDSU/ISU-B game...one for sure giveaway, the other two I don't really remember exactly how it played out (and don't care to watch).

In the 12 team SWAC, only 3 have winning records.

HailSzczur
October 25th, 2012, 12:08 AM
People need to stop talking about field goal percentage. It's annoying when you are not even attempting to differentiate between a 19-yarder and 60-yarder. Fordham's Patrick Murray puts up more field goal yards against Cincinnati than some of these other guys do in a year.

You make a good point, to some extent. 11/11 is not really that impressive of a stat, we're not even talking 1.5 attempts a game. But a stat of say 25-25 is impressive regardless of distance. To execute the well, that consistently is impressive. Even stats where a kicker hits like 70 PATs in a row I think is impressive, not just for the kicker, but for the whole special teams unit

bisonboone11
October 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
NDSU defensive stats and rank in FCS.

Opponents' 3rd down conversion - 1st (22.78%)
Opponents' 4th down conversion - t-2nd (16.67%)
1st downs allowed per game - 1st (10.29)
Passing defense - 1st (122.43 ypg)
Rushing defense - 2nd (63.29 ypg)
Total defense - 1st (185.71 ypg)
Scoring defense - 1st (8.43 ppg)
Time of Possession - 1st according to ncaa.com, but didn't give the stats.
Only allowed 7 drives into the red zone this year.

Cap'n Obvious
October 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Stats exist to provide bragging rights for fans. When do the playoffs start?

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
NDSU defensive stats and rank in FCS.

Opponents' 3rd down conversion - 1st (22.78%)
Opponents' 4th down conversion - t-2nd (16.67%)
1st downs allowed per game - 1st (10.29)
Passing defense - 1st (122.43 ypg)
Rushing defense - 2nd (63.29 ypg)
Total defense - 1st (185.71 ypg)
Scoring defense - 1st (8.43 ppg)
Time of Possession - 1st according to ncaa.com, but didn't give the stats.
Only allowed 7 drives into the red zone this year.

Is this the best Bison defense ever?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 25th, 2012, 03:24 PM
EWU and Northern Arizona are tied for the national lead in lost fumbles with one.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Is this the best Bison defense ever?

Ever is a long time, in the Division I era, very likely. Will most likely be even better next year.

darell1976
October 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Ever is a long time, in the Division I era, very likely.

I know you guys have had great defenses in the past but how would you rank this one to say the DII days. Of course you have tougher compeition now so I would think this has to be the best. It would be something to see your 2012 defense against your 1986 offense.

blueballs
October 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM
One of the guys on GSUFANS posted the defensive stats and 5 out of the top 10 defenses this year in FCS in terms of yards per play against are in the MVFC. We couldn't decide if the defenses in the MVFC are that good or the offenses that bad or a little of both.

LehighU11
October 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Lehigh: zero players with an IQ above 100.

Lafayette: zero students with an IQ above 100.

ITmonarch10
October 25th, 2012, 04:06 PM
One of the guys on GSUFANS posted the defensive stats and 5 out of the top 10 defenses this year in FCS in terms of yards per play against are in the MVFC. We couldn't decide if the defenses in the MVFC are that good or the offenses that bad or a little of both.

I think NDSU defense is that good ;however, the conference as a whole could just use offensives that favor chewing up the clock with slow methodical drives.

UNIFanSince1983
October 25th, 2012, 04:45 PM

I ask myself the same think about the SEC and then every year the defense shreds a great offense in a bowl game...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jim121256
October 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Actually, GSU is 8-0 when they don't attempt a pass. I think you'd find a few more than 8 games when they didn't complete a pass.

gsu2583
October 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Actually, GSU is 8-0 when they don't COMPLETE a pass.

FIFY

We are the only FCS team to never ATTEMPT a pass, and that happened this season.

skinny_uncle
October 25th, 2012, 09:27 PM
3 straight games with a punt block for a TD. I think this is a first for SIU.

deez_na
October 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Walking through the FCS playoffs and winning it all is much better than a "moral victory" You couldn't crack more than 7 on NDSU last year but you did on Alabama, guess our defense must be better than Alabamas too then huh?

steelbison
October 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM

35-7...that is all...

Cap'n Obvious
October 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
You guys are stuck in the past......move on.
NDSU was the better team. GSU struggled and did not help itself. Everyone is aware.
xdeadhorsex

THE HERD
October 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
3 straight games with a punt block for a TD. I think this is a first for SIU.

That is a crazy stat! Plus don't you guys have like 12 take aways in the last 3 games? We need to protect the ball this Saturday it looks like.

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM
You guys are stuck in the past......move on.
NDSU was the better team. GSU struggled and did not help itself. Everyone is aware.
xdeadhorsex

Interesting stat. Out of your 18 posts, 17 of them have been negative, condescending, or cynical. 94%, congrats.

Cap'n Obvious
October 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Interesting stat. Out of your 18 posts, 17 of them have been negative, condescending, or cynical. 94%, congrats.

Count it as another 'moral' victory I suppose.

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Count it as another 'moral' victory I suppose.

18 of 19 now, but your percentage is still 94.

steelbison
October 26th, 2012, 09:05 AM
NDSU has one starter on the Number one ranked Defense that is a Senior.

NDSU has two starters on offense that are Seniors.

Cap'n Obvious
October 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
18 of 19 now, but your percentage is still 94.

You got me. Really, it's not because of the other poster's comments on the board that brought it out of me. I just wasn't on my A game. If I had taken some more time and put my thoughts together better, or not shot myself in the foot, or came up with a better strategy, you wouldn't have been able to even understand the posts I would have made. I mean, this one time, a while back, I completely surprised an entire board with my level of effort given. That event alone should be enough evidence that I am the far superior poster.............................sound familiar?

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm436/gsu2583/2edz0v5jpg_zpsf604d972.gif

deez_na
October 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
NDSU has one starter on the Number one ranked Defense that is a Senior.

NDSU has two starters on offense that are Seniors.

And how sweet is that huh?

eaglewraith
Walking through the FCS playoffs and winning it all is much better than a "moral victory" You couldn't crack more than 7 on NDSU last year but you did on Alabama, guess our defense must be better than Alabamas too then huh?

I'll just say this. That game was a perfect storm for NDSU.

1) Many angries. NDSU felt slighted because we bought the game out. The reason wasn't what you thought it was, but you used it as motivation which I understand.
2) Many louds. NDSU's fans were extremely vocal. We really depend on cadence so that eliminated our ability to get the initial push off the snap because we couldn't anticipate it correctly. Well done NDSU fans.
3) NDSU's offense grinds on you and doesn't make mistakes.
4) Couple with #3, the defense was outstanding and did the best job of defending the option that I've seen in recent history. I shouldn't have expected less from a former Nebraska guy. The DL's ability to shed blocks and Heagle destroyed any chances we had. Add the freebie turnover, the semi freebie one from the long pass at the one (Wilcox had to make a hell of a grab but it put him in a bad position and allowed NDSU an easy strip), and another forced turnover plus some questionable coaching decisions.......it just got ugly.

There. Can we all move on from last year and concentrate on this year? The only reason Alabama was mentioned earlier in this thread is because it was actually mentioned on ESPN the other day. The same person who posted it in this thread posted it on our board from that observation.

Fear the Bird
Can you 2 shut the hell up so this thread stops popping up at the top of the new posts

Unless you are posting something ridiculous and interesting like the SIU blocked punt for TD in 3 straight games, then take your cat fight somewhere else

Cap'n Obvious
October 26th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Can you 2 shut the hell up so this thread stops popping up at the top of the new posts

Unless you are posting something ridiculous and interesting like the SIU blocked punt for TD in 3 straight games, then take your cat fight somewhere else

Careful.....you don't want to get labeled Negative Nancy............xintx

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
GSU has outscored opponents 121-32 in the second half of games this season.

gsu2583
October 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
GSU has outscored opponents 121-32 in the second half of games this season.

That really should be noted more as a defensive stat than an offensive one. Less than 5 points avg. allowed in the second half.

deez_na
October 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Regardless though, Georgia Southern is one team i respect alot, they are a solid team and have been for years, bison are newer to this and I'm hoping they stay as one of the top teams in the FCS for years to come.

bjtheflamesfan
October 26th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ok last Liberty one:

After being outscored 113-84 in the first four games (all losses), Liberty has outscored the opposition 119-55 (all wins).