PDA

View Full Version : App State vs Wpfford fumble

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM
looking at this week's episode of inside wofford football, I couldn't help but notice the fumble....like anyone else.

App fans would contest that it wasn't a fumble, however I wouldn't say it's as clear of a call as they would

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iKJrxc7oQ&feature=g-u-u

the play starts at roughly 8:28, it's clear that Jackson makes the throw, however look where his feet is, and where the ball lands. At worst, the ball lands parallel to where he threw it, but I think it was perhaps a half yard behind, so it was technically a fumble because it was backwards even though he clearly made the throw.

(sorry for the size)
this is approximately where the ball leaves his hands. It bounces at the 40 yard line, no further up field than that, perhaps behind it a little, so I think it's a fumble. Not a clear one, but a fumble

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Mods, please fix my thread title typo -_-

thanks.

cbarrier90
October 21st, 2012, 02:39 AM
Looked like an incompletion live. Also, at no point did any of the officials throw a bean bag to signify a fumble. Pretty much ended the game. Should have taken a sack. Moving on...

MorgantonAPPAlum
October 21st, 2012, 06:50 AM
This play and the Wofford "forward pass" at the end of the first half were a wash as far as I was concerned-both were judgement calls so I didn't get too worked up either way. The call that really got me worked up was the "late hit" late in the 4th quarter. It didn't decide the game, but the style of offense that Wofford runs, option with a lot of misdirection, you never know who has the ball and the QB has to be a fair target. That was a terrible call given the context of the Terrier offense.

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2012, 07:44 AM
Mods, please fix my thread title typo -_-

thanks.

whats spelled wrong?

Mr. C
October 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Young Terrier, where the ball lands isn't the rule. This one is simple, is Jackson's arm moving forward, or not?

atlfcsfan
October 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Well Im not sure what the rule is in terms of where the ball lands when the qb is hit like that, but he essentially did throw a lateral which is a live ball. Also I think the personal foul late was a questionable call. I think what got the penalty was that the defender met the qb but then sort of leveled a hit even though he could see he didnt have the ball. It used to never get called, but in the era of protecting the qb, some stuff gets called that wasnt in the past.

GSU EAGLES
October 21st, 2012, 08:48 AM
Young Terrier, where the ball lands isn't the rule. This one is simple, is Jackson's arm moving forward, or not?

I think you are misunderstanding the issue with the play. Clearly he has throwing the ball, but he threw it backwards which is a lateral. If he had thrown the ball forward, then yes it would matter and would have been an incomplete pass. To me it looked like the pass went slightly backwards which would be a lateral.

Correct call.

asumike83
October 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Not that it really matters at this point but the refs explanation live was not that it was a lateral. He said the ball came out before his arm moved forward which was clearly not the case. In any event, he should have taken the sack. If you miss a chip shot field goal and give up 400 rushing yards, you do not deserve to win. Make that gimme FG and we have a great shot to tie it up. We made mistakes in the fourth quarter while Wofford made plays. End of story.

Baldy
October 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
His arm was moving forward, but he threw the ball backwards. Good call.

atlfcsfan
October 21st, 2012, 09:21 AM
The result was correct, in that it was a wofford td, but the ref did say he fumbled before he threw, which was incorrect call.

PhillyApp1
October 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Stop the video with the ball in his hand about to let go...his arm is at forty at least...being pulled ...throws other side of 40... intentional grounding !!!

APP played UGLY and still had a chance to win against a Wofford team that is their best in 4 years.

APP will be VERY SCARY in years to come...mostly freshman and sophmores who choked today...

Appattk
October 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Either way... Woffy won by more than 7... It's a non-issue.

seantaylor
October 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
Looked like an incompletion live. Also, at no point did any of the officials throw a bean bag to signify a fumble. Pretty much ended the game. Should have taken a sack. Moving on...

Clearly a backward pass, and therefore a fumble.

MasonJar
October 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM

Exactly. I had a great view in the stadium form the other side of the field. From the view I had, the all I would have made is intentional grounding. I did not notice at the time that this was a "backwards pass". So, I can accept the lateral/live ball that resulted from the play. However, officiating in the game was suspect. Before you slam me about that comment, let me also add that I dont think the calls that went "against" ASU changed the outcome of the game. Hats off to Wofford in a well earned win.

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Exactly. I had a great view in the stadium form the other side of the field. From the view I had, the all I would have made is intentional grounding. I did not notice at the time that this was a "backwards pass". So, I can accept the lateral/live ball that resulted from the play. However, officiating in the game was suspect. Before you slam me about that comment, let me also add that I dont think the calls that went "against" ASU changed the outcome of the game. Hats off to Wofford in a well earned win.

officiating was terrible....the refs standing over the ball with the clock running at the end of the half cost Wofford points. no disagreement here.

Skjellyfetti
October 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I was pissed at first until I saw the replay on the jumbotron at the game. It was the right call.

It was a DUMB play by Jackson. Just incredibly dumb. Spiking the ball like that to avoid a sack is the same as taking the sack. They're gonna throw a flag for intentional ground anyway. JUST GO DOWN. xbangx

Skjellyfetti
October 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
officiating was terrible....the refs standing over the ball with the clock running at the end of the half cost Wofford points. no disagreement here.

they had to. when y'all run on your special teams, they have to give the defense time to make substitutions.

that why you don't burn your timeouts. that's on y'all.

Fear the Bird
October 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM

xflaggedx that couldn't be further from the truth

Reign of Terrier
October 22nd, 2012, 10:58 PM
If the ball lands behind where he threw it, logically speaking, it wasn't going forward. It doesn't matter if the ball was thrown forward in respect to the player's body, it matters in respect to his position on the field.

I can snap the ball, throw regularly to my own goal post, 180 degrees from the line of scrimmage, and it would be a fumble wherever it landed, because it was a backward pass

ASUMountaineer
October 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM

atlfcsfan has it right. The ref explained that the ball came out before JJ's hand was moving forward, which was incorrect. However, the end result was correct. So, it seems the SoCon officials got bailed out by "wrong call, right result."

To me, it's a non-issue. WoCo played well enough to win and they did. Time to get ready for West Carolina.

dungeonjoe
October 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Right or wrong, it is over. Time to look forward.