PDA

View Full Version : Southland Week 8 and Playoffs?

BEAR
October 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM
Standings:

SELA 3-0
UCA 4-1
Sam 3-1
SFA 2-1
NWST 1-2
McNeese 1-3
Lamar 0-3
Nicholls 0-3

Next Weeks games:
UCA at SELA
Nicholls at NWST
Sam at Lamar
SFA at McNeese

My predictions: UCA, NWST, SAM, SFA

Playoffs?

Remaining games for the most likely teams to make the playoffs:

SELA: UCA, at Sam, SFA, at Nicholls
UCA: at SELA, NWST, E.Illinois
Sam: at Lamar, SELA, at NWST, at Texas A&M
SFA: at McNeese, Lamar, at SELA, NWST

My prediction for playoff eligibility:
IF UCA gets by SELA at SELA, they will have 8 division I wins AND be at least conference co-champs. Only loss to SFA.
SAM should run the last 3 SLC games and share the title and have 7 division I wins and conference co-champs..only loss to UCA.
IF SFA gets by McNeese they should run the table and have 6 division I wins and be conference co-champs but get the autobid since they have been out of the playoffs the longest. Only loss to SAM.
SELA- I don't believe they will only lose 1 game with that schedule left. Next week they get UCA , then AT SAM...it's over IMO. But you never know. Anything's possible.

A three way tie for the playoffs. xblehx

SFA will go with the autobid with 6 division I wins. xeyebrowx

Does Sam go with their resume? Top 10, 7 division I wins.

Does UCA go with wins over two top 25 teams (Sam and McNeese) and probably a top ten finish and 8 division I wins?

All hypothetical I know, but this weekend cleared up the picture a little bit.

What say you??!!!!xlolx

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
Standings:

SELA 3-0
UCA 4-1
Sam 3-1
SFA 2-1
NWST 1-2
McNeese 1-3
Lamar 0-3
Nicholls 0-3

Next Weeks games:
UCA at SELA
Nicholls at NWST
Sam at Lamar
SFA at McNeese

My predictions: UCA, NWST, SAM, SFA

Playoffs?

Remaining games for the most likely teams to make the playoffs:

SELA: UCA, at Sam, SFA, at Nicholls
UCA: at SELA, NWST, E.Illinois
Sam: at Lamar, SELA, at NWST, at Texas A&M
SFA: at McNeese, Lamar, at SELA, NWST

My prediction for playoff eligibility:
IF UCA gets by SELA at SELA, they will have 8 division I wins AND be at least conference co-champs. Only loss to SFA.
SAM should run the last 3 SLC games and share the title and have 7 division I wins and conference co-champs..only loss to UCA.
IF SFA gets by McNeese they should run the table and have 6 division I wins and be conference co-champs but get the autobid since they have been out of the playoffs the longest. Only loss to SAM.
SELA- I don't believe they will only lose 1 game with that schedule left. Next week they get UCA , then AT SAM...it's over IMO. But you never know. Anything's possible.

A three way tie for the playoffs. xblehx

SFA will go with the autobid with 6 division I wins. xeyebrowx

Does Sam go with their resume? Top 10, 7 division I wins.

Does UCA go with wins over two top 25 teams (Sam and McNeese) and probably a top ten finish and 8 division I wins?

All hypothetical I know, but this weekend cleared up the picture a little bit.

What say you??!!!!xlolx

xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

JMUNJ08
October 21st, 2012, 12:25 AM
Had no idea SFA still had a shot at the playoffs, and looking past the McNeese game, this could really happen (so really hinges on this week). In reality, UCA and SHSU will be in the field this year, both @ Home...

BEAR
October 21st, 2012, 12:04 PM
I figure with McNeese most likely out that the SLC representation on this site, with the exception of a few Kats and LJ fans, will pretty much disappear. Looks that way anyway.

Engineer86
October 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
Does the committee, take the "stolen" SFA bid (stolen not meant as a slam, no better term comes to mind) from the Southland conference since they set the rule that puts a 6 win SFA team in the field? If so, it might be Sam that pays the price given the UCA loss.

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Does the committee, take the "stolen" SFA bid (stolen not meant as a slam, no better term comes to mind) from the Southland conference since they set the rule that puts a 6 win SFA team in the field? If so, it might be Sam that pays the price given the UCA loss.

xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

pokefan02
October 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
If it ends in a 3 way tie, SHSU, UCA play at home and SFA travels

McNeese75
October 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
I figure with McNeese most likely out that the SLC representation on this site, with the exception of a few Kats and LJ fans, will pretty much disappear. Looks that way anyway.

Speak for yourself ;) if you notice my post count and entry date, I don't disappear

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

McNeese72
October 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Speak for yourself ;) if you notice my post count and entry date, I don't disappear

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm still here, too.

Doc

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm still here, too.

Doc

Lions fans are here too but since we're irrelevant, I can understand why folks don't notice. :)

BEAR
October 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Lions fans are here too but since we're irrelevant, I can understand why folks don't notice. :)

Drama queen. xviolinx

SELA is far from irrelevant..just most on here realize the Lions haven't gone through the toughest part of their schedule that's all.

The popcorn smiley tells me nothing about your version of how or who will make the playoffs. Try actually saying something. I've started this topic for at least two weeks now trying to get the SLC brethren to speak out.

So speak out.

Glad some fans are still here though. xlolx

Nickels
October 21st, 2012, 06:47 PM

They are completely irrelevant until they beat at least one of the top 3 teams.

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Drama queen. xviolinx
Try actually saying something.
xlolx

Kiss my assxlolx

Samalum'10
October 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Irrelevant now? No.
Irrelevant in 3 weeks? Yes.

Samalum'10
October 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
UCA at SELA
Nicholls at NWST
Sam at Lamar
SFA at McNeese I've never wanted SFA to lose more than this upcoming week.

TheRevSFA
October 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Mcneese looked like **** against Sam. I think SFA can beat them in the hole

TheRevSFA
October 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
And you can hear my predictions Tuesday night on the FCS wedge brought to you by anygivensaturday.com, and no uca fans, I didn't call your field ugly this week. You're welcome

Samalum'10
October 21st, 2012, 08:58 PM
Mcneese looked like **** against Sam. I think SFA can beat them in the hole
Yeah, y'all will obviously be the favorites to win, I'm just praying SFA lays an egg.

TheRevSFA
October 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, y'all will obviously be the favorites to win, I'm just praying SFA lays an egg.

Kinda like I'm hoping you lay an egg against Lamar.....

....I couldn't even type that with a straight face

Sammy94
October 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM
Did McNeese look that bad because Sam is firing on all cylinders or are they that bad? It is Homecoming for them against SFA. The pokes think they may still make the playoffs if they win out. I would like to think the Cowboys aren't as bad as they looked Sat.

TheRevSFA
October 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Watching the game on CSN, McNeese looked bad.

Maybe Sam has gotten better. Or maybe the pokes didn't watch the "sincere will keep the ball 9 out of 10 times" video

Sammy94
October 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
That's funny. I was shocked that he actually gave it to Flanders once.

Sammy94
October 21st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I also think it's one thing to know what's coming and another stopping it. All that NDSU showed everyone how to stop it talk. Now if everyone was as good on defense as those guys were then maybe that talk would have credit.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Kiss my assxlolx

xcoffeex

Sammy94
October 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
UCA @ SELA

SELA are these guys for real? The SDSU beat down at home makes me think not. The 52-3 UAB win, which is the only one of the season makes me think not. Beating a bad McNeese team by one makes me think not. I'm hoping they prove me wrong this weekend but I think not.
UCA wins 28-17

Nicholls @ NWST

Does this game even matter? I guess for Peveto it might, lose this and he may be looking for a new job soon. Luckily for him it will be a victory which will be the last of the season for the Demons.
NWST wins 31-24

SHSU @ Lamar

Will this be the 5th straight Sammy put 40+ on the scoreboard? Most likely. Better question will be how many does the backups score? They only scored a TD against McNeese. I predict at least 2 TDs come from the 2nd string this week. It will be on TV for those that want to find out.
SHSU wins 49-10

SFA @ McNeese

Playoff hopes are slim for both, lose and that hope will be gone. Will the Cowboys bounce back from a embarrasing loss on the road? It is homecoming at "The Hole" so maybe that will bring some luck to the Pokes. They will need it to keep a playoff shot alive. Another ugly loss and will Coach Viator be working on his resume? My wishful thinking is that the Pokes pull out a close one but their recent history proves they can't win the close ones either.
SFA wins 38-35

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Nice previews. :D

Biggest question: Is SELA for real.

SFA vs. McNeese: Someone season ends with a L.

Sammy at Lamar: Geez. Really. UCA played backups and this game was decided in the first quarter. 54 run plays eats up the clock and if Sam does the same it will be the shortest game in SLC history. xlolx

centexguy
October 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM

Sammy at Lamar: Geez. Really. UCA played backups and this game was decided in the first quarter. 54 run plays eats up the clock and if Sam does the same it will be the shortest game in SLC history. xlolx

UCA didn't score a TD until the 2nd quarter against Lamar but you said the game was over by then? Really? You could say Lamar was playing backups too since their starting QB, running back and wide receiver didn't play. Granted, Lamar's offense sucks this year but UCA didn't force any turnovers against a turnover-prone team. And this was a UCA home game.

TheRevSFA
October 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
UCA didn't score a TD until the 2nd quarter against Lamar but you said the game was over by then? Really? You could say Lamar was playing backups too since their starting QB, running back and wide receiver didn't play. Granted, Lamar's offense sucks this year but UCA didn't force any turnovers against a turnover-prone team. And this was a UCA home game.

Actually let's be honest..most Lamar games were decided well before the season started.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
On the first play of the second quarter you mean. xlolx

You got 7 in the fourth against our second team.

Lions fumbled it twice but the Bears didn't cover it.

54 run plays averaging 3 yards or so per run. LAMAR lost that game early with commiting to that game plan. Thank your coach. The Cards had so much success passing but they totally quit (8.7 ypp). Maybe your coach saw that near pick six in the first half and got scared. Who knows. Second half that little RB kept moving his feet and HE got some major yardage against some of our second teamers. 17-0 at half and UCA only got the ball for 6 minutes in the second half..yeah, that ground game eating up 3 yards per is gonna get Lamar NOTHING if they can't score with it.

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
On the first play of the second quarter you mean. xlolx

You got 7 in the fourth against our second team.

That's a false or misleading statement. I watched Lamar's last scoring drive on video and you guys are still playing starters. I'm sure you rotated some 2's in and out like everybody does throughout a game, but it was still your base rotation of players. Clint isn't stupid.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Alright..alright....you got me. :D

Anyone that attended that game was bored! There was no threat of a Lamar comeback. They ran the thing 54 times for an average run of 3 yards or so. Our players played "out of their minds"......no wait....I think they overlooked this game is what I meant to say. Last year I said differently. That was an enjoyable game AT Lamar. This year not so much. Lamar didn't score until 1:51 left in the 3rd quarter...Now if Lamar's coach would have discovered a balance to his offense...

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Alright..alright....you got me. :D

Anyone that attended that game was bored! There was no threat of a Lamar comeback. They ran the thing 54 times for an average run of 3 yards or so. Our players played "out of their minds"......no wait....I think they overlooked this game is what I meant to say. Last year I said differently. That was an enjoyable game AT Lamar. This year not so much. Lamar didn't score until 1:51 left in the 3rd quarter...Now if Lamar's coach would have discovered a balance to his offense...

I certainly understand the boredom, considering we had a snoozefest with Lamar at their place ... it was a 10-point spread but game was nowhere near that close.

I'm sure Lamar played it close to the vest against CARK because they were missing their starting QB, tailback and best WR ... I was surprised they were able to run it as well as they did considering how inexperienced and small their O-line is, especially with no passing threat.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
was surprised they were able to run it as well as they did considering how inexperienced and small their O-line is, especially with no passing threat

That's was the whole thing that made it boring to me anyways. They would run it a couple of times, come up short then throw a pass to get the first down...but the kicker is they would go right back to running it again for small yardage eating up more clock! UCA had the ball for 3 minutes in the third and 3 minutes in the fourth. 6 minutes total. That fake punt for 23 yards was the best thing they could have done that quarter and it led to a TD. Fooled everyone. Even gave Grandy a tackle stat. Thumbs up.

LIONFAN07
October 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM

I guess people don't think we are for real is because we have a losing record over all. Even though we are undefeated in SLC play. Maybe we should have scheduled one game against teams like Bacone College or even Texas Southern. We might have been able to get victories against teams like that and would be 4-3. Maybe then people might think the Lions would have a chance in this race down the stretch. But we played two very good FCS teams and two FBS games in non conference play.

We also haven't been dominating enough in SLC play. We only beat Mcneese by 1 and Lamar by 10. I would imagine UCA beat Lamar by alot more than 10 and McNeese by more than 1.

Good news is the games will be decided on the field. The best team will win the league and it could be any of us.xthumbsupx

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Good news is the games will be decided on the field. The best team will win the league and it could be any of us.

Exactly!

Sammy94
October 22nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Even though we are undefeated in SLC play.

SELA has the chance to make us all believers this weekend. Go Lions!!!

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
SELA has the chance to make us all believers this weekend. Go Lions!!!

What no cheer for the Cowboys???! xlolx

Sammy94
October 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
What no cheer for the Cowboys???!

Sure I want the Boys to win but what I saw on Sat., they would have a hard time beating Lamar or Nicholls right now.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Ouch.

It's kinda funny you know.

If SAM, UCA, SFA, or McNeese lose one more game then their season is essentially over. All those teams need to walk the tight rope. SELA is the only team with a one game cushion..but they're about to run into the buzz saws listed above...xlolx

Sammy94
October 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
SELA is the only team with a one game cushion

I think this is a must win game for SELA this weekend.
They come to Bowers to play Sam. Bowers is a bit different these days (Mcneese fans that came will agree) and its going to be tough for the Lions to win there. If the Lions lose this week and next week at SHSU, they are done no matter what happens in the game against SFA.

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
I think this is a must win game for SELA this weekend.
They come to Bowers to play Sam. Bowers is a bit different these days (Mcneese fans that came will agree) and its going to be tough for the Lions to win there. If the Lions lose this week and next week at SHSU, they are done no matter what happens in the game against SFA.

Every week is a must win ... they're all the same. This week, it's CARK.