PDA

View Full Version : Division I Board of Directors Results: Goodbye I-AA

ASU Kep
August 3rd, 2006, 09:42 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- During its summer meetings on Thursday, the NCAA Division I of Directors approved new labels for Division I football. The presidents approved a change in terminology to "Football Bowl Subdivision" for the former I-A classification and "NCAA Football Championship Subdivision" for the former I-AA group. The Collegiate Commissioners Association helped develop the new labels.

The presidents believe the new nomenclature, which becomes effective in December, more accurately distinguishes Division I institutions for purposes of governing football, the only sport for which such a distinction is necessary. Members felt the old nomenclature inaccurately tiered Division I institutions in all sports, not just football, and produced instances in which media outlets and other entities incorrectly cited institutions as being Division I-AA in basketball or baseball, for example.

"All Division I institutions, regardless of whether they sponsor football, are in fact and should be referred to as Division I members," said Board Chair and University of Connecticut President Philip Austin. "The only reasons for labeling are the need to distinguish the two football subdivisions for the purpose of governing the sport and to maintain separate statistics. The Board is stressing that the nomenclature reflect the totality of the Division I membership whenever possible and that the subdivision labels be used sparingly. Still, there are instances in which we need to use them, and we feel the new labels are more accurate."

The new nomenclature does not effect the voting structure used in Division I governance matters.

So...what does everybody think? I just wish they would've gotten it in effect for this year, to be honest. :hurray:

BaylorTitan
August 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
gay sounding, IMO.

August 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
gay sounding, IMO.Maybe because Baylor isn't in the Championship group? :)

youwouldno
August 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
I like it better than the alpha-numerical, for both subdivisions. More accurate.

August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Division I Board of Directors Results: Goodbye I-AA
The NCAA News
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=79814

...The Board also considered two override requests, one regarding legislation that allows a graduate with remaining eligibility to transfer and be immediately eligible at his or her new institution (Proposal No. 05-54)... Board members stood firm on their April action, though, citing academic primacy as the basis for their decision. The presidents acknowledged the possibility of a “free agency” market with this new pool of student-athletes but agreed that the legislation correctly assumes that graduates will make their decisions based on where they want to attend school, not on where they want to play games. The action means that the Division I membership will vote on the matter at the NCAA Convention in January. ...

...Division I-AA members of the Board delayed action on another override request, this one on a measure defeated in April that would provide for a 12th regular-season football game in Division I-AA (Proposal No. 05-128). The presidents delayed their vote until the October meeting because two of the four I-AA representatives on the Board were absent. Also, the Division I-AA/I-AAA Presidential Advisory Group, which conducts its summer session via teleconference, wants the chance to discuss the matter at its in-person meeting in October.

Many in the Division I-AA membership favored the proposal when it was considered at the committee and Management Council level last spring, but the four members on the Board opposed the idea at the April meeting.

Interestingly, the Ohio Valley Conference is proposing legislation for the 2006-07 cycle that would give I-AA members of the I-AA/I-AAA Presidential Advisory Group the authority to act on behalf of the I-AA members of the Board on legislative issues specific to I-AA football.

In another action regarding the two football subdivisions in Division I, the Board approved new labels. The presidents approved a change in terminology to “Football Bowl Subdivision” for the former I-A classification and “NCAA Football Championship Subdivision” for the former I-AA group. The Collegiate Commissioners Association helped develop the new labels. ...

August 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
guess all the people who said I-A would never let it happen are now clearly not in the NCAA Championship Subdivision and the new acronyms are:

CS

and

BS

gotta laugh a bit! xlolx

HiHiYikas
August 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
FOOTBALL BOWL SUBDIVISION ALL THE WAY!

just doesn't have the same ring.

August 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
FOOTBALL BOWL SUBDIVISION ALL THE WAY!

just doesn't have the same ring.Naw, it stays the same... NCAA D-I Football Champs! :nod:

GOKATS
August 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I would think that the Collegiate Commissioners Association could do better than this, but what do I know? It just seems like the longer things like this get dragged out, the worse the outcome.

I like to keep things simple and had no problem with BCS (Bowl Championship Series) and PCS (Playoff Championship Series).

Now we have FBS (fairly simple) and NCAAFCS (crap). As much as I supported the change, I'd go back to I-A and I-AA. JMHO

TheValleyRaider
August 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
NCAA Football Championship Subdivision?

They needed the extra time to come up with that? :eyebrow:

A little clunkier than PCS, but then again, "One Double A" also took some getting used to. Let's hope it works :thumbsup:

McTailGator
August 3rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
guess all the people who said I-A would never let it happen are now clearly not in the NCAA Championship Subdivision and the new acronyms are:

CS

and

BS

gotta laugh a bit! xlolx

:thumbsup: :hurray: xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thank GOD it's over....

WE ARE DIVISION I

August 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
:thumbsup: :hurray: xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thank GOD it's over....

WE ARE DIVISION IAgreed... at least it's over! :nod:

August 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I would think that the Collegiate Commissioners Association could do better than this, but what do I know? It just seems like the longer things like this get dragged out, the worse the outcome.

I like to keep things simple and had no problem with BCS (Bowl Championship Series) and PCS (Playoff Championship Series).

Now we have FBS (fairly simple) and NCAAFCS (crap). As much as I supported the change, I'd go back to I-A and I-AA. JMHONo use F in there, only D-I Football has a subdivision...

it is now:

cs and BS xlolx

August 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD! Wonder how long it will take the I-A loving press (and fans) to scoff at the CS? About two seconds IMO. Just watch!

Retro
August 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
They really don't need to use the word SUBDIVISION, but just DIVISION..

I think we can all figure out they are both subdivisions of Div I.. What do you want to bet, the media uses Bowl Division and then NCAA Football Championship Subdivision when they refer to it?

ASU Kep
August 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
I'm wondering how long it will take the conventional mainstream media to abandon I-A/I-AA.

August 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
the other big stories in this report:
-no 12th game yet
-graduated players can transfer and play immediately goes to a full D-I vote in January
-special legis giving the I-AA/I-AAA Presidential Advisory Group votes on I-AA legis entered

August 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
The presidents approved a change in terminology to “Football Bowl Subdivision” for the former I-A classification and “NCAA Football Championship Subdivision” for the former I-AA group.I like that the NCAA took their name off the BS.

August 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD! Wonder how long it will take the I-A loving press (and fans) to scoff at the CS? About two seconds IMO. Just watch!still waiting...

JaxSinfonian
August 3rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Folks, I think this actually works better for the I-AA world (as we're known until December) than the PCS/BCS proposal, which I never liked. I've got a long post on the change over at the OVC Football Blog (http://ovcfootball.blogspot.com).

In short: I like this better, because we get to use the word "Championship" and they don't.

Get your e-mail responses ready for January 2008, when all the stories come out about the Rent-Me-Bowl winner being crowned the national champion. It'll be up to us to remind all the sports "journalists" that the NCAA D-I Football Championship was played in Chattanooga in December, while that game in January was basically just a giant commercial.

August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
... Get your e-mail responses ready for January 2008, when all the stories come out about the Rent-Me-Bowl winner being crowned the national champion. It'll be up to us to remind all the sports "journalists" that the NCAA D-I Football Championship was played in Chattanooga in December, while that game in January was basically just a giant commercial.*drool* xlolx xlolx :nod: :D :nod: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;) xlolx :nod: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx : smash : : smash : :beerchug: :beerchug: xbdayx :nod: :nod: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hurray: :xmas: xprost2x xprost2x :hyped: :anim_chai :lmao: xsmoochx

DUPFLFan
August 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
so Ralph what subdivision does the PFL and NEC belong to?

August 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
so Ralph what subdivision does the PFL and NEC belong to?CS IS BEST!!!!!!

check your PM

August 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
just say yes to AGS and the CS and that's no BS

(every current member of I-AA is CS in December)

JaxSinfonian
August 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Here's something else I noticed in the NCAA News item (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/%21ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw%21%21/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/Association+Updates/Presidents+conduct+summer+meetings+-+08-03-06+update). It's not I-AA related, per se, but it could have an indirect impact on D-I.

Division II endorses two football playoffs

A proposal to create two Division II football playoffs will be considered at the NCAA Convention in January.

The Division II Presidents Council voted at its August 3 meeting in Indianapolis to sponsor legislation that would create a bracket for programs offering from 0 to 36 financial aid equivalencies and another for programs offering up to 50 percent of the maximum (that is, 0 to 18 equivalencies).

Wouldn't this essentially create Divisions II-A and II-AA? I can't see how this would be a good thing for D-II, or for any of the playoff-level groups. It just further dilutes and confuses the pool of teams labeled "national champions." Really, what's the difference between 36 schollies and 18? If you can't fund more than 18, why are you even bothering?

August 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah, the D-II folks are going CRAZY! Doesn't matter the funding as long as they keep football for their school and get to compete for something.

August 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
No BS in the CS!

ASU Kep
August 4th, 2006, 01:02 AM
CS IS BEST!!!!!!

check your PM

And I was just about to complain in another thread that ralph had yet to invent a catchy replacement to "I-AA all the way!" xlolx

I'll never doubt ya again, ralphie. :thumbsup:

ASU Kep
August 4th, 2006, 01:04 AM
psst...I'd go ahead and reserve a web address something like that.

:)

Keeper
August 4th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm not in the media or anything but do have an often-visited
college football ratings website. (Not to brag, but almost won
the straight-up prediction championship last year for computer
systems, won the point-spread award hands down.)
Anyhoo, I find the new labels clunky for organizing the pages.
I mean, I want the labeling to be pretty mainstream but accurate.
Most readers instantly know which conferences belong to which
sub-division, but I can't see listing them as BSand CS.
Let's be resonable. The bowl subdivision will more than likely be referred
to by the media as the BCS, and the championship subdivision will be
called the playoff division. I believe that these deserve separate pages
for publishing and listing of ratings and predictions, pursuant to their
level of popularity. Also, the old I-A and I-AA labels were easy to
post and are widely recognized. Now I have to call them BS and CS?
Maybe I should go with Vegas and non-Vegas? How about a
transitional moniker (2 to 4 years per the NCAA) like "Bowl Teams (A)"
and "Champ Teams (AA)"? There is only so much room on the link
buttons for the proper labelling. I suspect that most of the other
computer raters are in the same quandry (at least those who purport
to rate more than 119 teams). I would appreciate any suggestions
(seriously) at the e-mail link of my website www.kcfrs.com.

August 4th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Sorry I did not recognize you before Keep, thanks for being a part of AGS. I do think that CS and BS are better (and shorter) for D-I football. The NCAA is not going to use officially the BCS name so why should you? It's like using the "Tostitos" name instead of the generic name, not tied to a commercial entity. Champ subd. and Bowl subd. are simple. Don't tell me you have an aversion to calling I-AA the Champ subd... it has always been the NCAA D-I Champ...

Keeper
August 4th, 2006, 03:11 AM
No aversions here, Ralph. Just a little annoyed at having to make
changes so that everyone will understand them. Also, I'm quite
spoiled at having handy abbreviations for posting. And as much
as many AGS afficionados would like it, isn't posting "BS" a little
harsh? One could obviously say that CS means chicken-****, but
not me. I will be curious to see how the major sports media play
it before deciding myself. I want to give both sub-divisions their
due respect and separate listings. This will take some thought,
but actually I like involving the words "Bowl" and "Champ" somehow.
The word Subdivision sounds to me like one of those NCAA rules
geeks talking, very un-sexy. My ratings are supposed to be bias-free,
and would actually like all the content the same. I am but a simple
fan of college football, period. I am all for more exposure for the
old AA level, but I don't see the media dashing over to help with that.
The AA conferences need more aggressive marketing, and to do that,
may have to go to bed with someone like Tostitos to get there.
Respect is a two-way street, and sad to say, money paves the way.

Looking forward to anyone's advice on the website labelling. Thanks.

August 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM
chicken****? woah!!!!!! jokes are expected I guess, both ways... so what's the problem?

The NCAA calls it the football Bowl Subdivision and football Championship Subdivision. Why did the BCS not settle for just Bowls? They never were a true Championship. I can see the posturing already. Maybe it should have been Group instead of Subdiv?

Follow the media if you like, but they are not "bias-free." Going to bed with a crystal ball instead of a tourney will just get our Championship removed from the NCAA. No thanks. The football D-I Champion comes from the Championship Subdivision. They picked the name so let's just go with it.

BTW, do your rankings include every team that plays I-AA or like Sagarin, only D-I?

August 4th, 2006, 06:28 AM

CS

and

BS

gotta laugh a bit! xlolxSorry if that was out of line, just thought it was a little obviously silly. xcoffeex

OL FU
August 4th, 2006, 06:42 AM
The name is fine.

How does this change things with conferences that do not participate in the championship?

August 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM
The name is fine.

How does this change things with conferences that do not participate in the championship?Every conference is still eligible for the championship. :nod:

OL FU
August 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Every conference is still eligible for the championship. :nod:

I have to quit being lazy go back to see if there is a link:o
So the qualifications for the sub-division are still the same. No more than 63 scholarships and play on Division I on all levels. It does not matter whether a conference actually competes or not. interesting. I guess that means the name is a little misleading:eyebrow: :)

August 4th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I have to quit being lazy go back to see if there is a link:o
So the qualifications for the sub-division are still the same. No more than 63 scholarships and play on Division I on all levels. It does not matter whether a conference actually competes or not. interesting. I guess that means the name is a little misleading:eyebrow: :)Naw, the fact remains the same even if the name will change. The D-I football champ still comes from I-AA.

McTailGator
August 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Hey Ralph...

Will I-AA Waves now become:

"Division I - Championship Waves" or what?

OL FU
August 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Naw, the fact remains the same even if the name will change. The D-I football champ still comes from I-AA.

Ok, I agree to look at it that way:D

August 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Ok, I agree to look at it that way:DYep, ain't no BS with the CS!

August 4th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Ralph...

Will I-AA Waves now become:

"Division I - Championship Waves" or what?We'll have to have a renaming thread like we had before... :nod:

McTailGator
August 4th, 2006, 07:15 AM
And I was just about to complain in another thread that ralph had yet to invent a catchy replacement to "I-AA all the way!" xlolx

I'll never doubt ya again, ralphie. :thumbsup:

I would personnaly perfer...

McTailGator
August 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM

I think we can all figure out they are both subdivisions of Div I.. What do you want to bet, the media uses Bowl Division and then NCAA Football Championship Subdivision when they refer to it?

imo,

They didn't need to use ANY names at all.

We ARE DIVISION I

McTailGator
August 4th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Now we have FBS (fairly simple) and NCAAFCS (crap). As much as I supported the change, I'd go back to I-A and I-AA. JMHO

Simply Stated:

WE ARE DIVISION I

We compete for THE NCAA Division I National Championship.

August 4th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Simply Stated:

WE ARE DIVISION I

We compete for THE NCAA Division I National Championship.Not all D-I competes for a championship though... we are special!

McTailGator
August 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Not all D-I competes for a championship though... we are special!

Sounds better than SOME OF US COMPETE FOR...

:smiley_wi

August 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Guess this is soooooooooo "Spring 2006" for I-AA fans huh? The NCAA renames their top division of football so often that it's no big deal... ho-hum... ;)

DUPFLFan
August 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I thought that the best thing would be.

Division 1 Scholarship Division (1-SD)
Division 1 Non-scholarship Division (1-ND)

kats89
August 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM
How long before some of the crappy lower tier I-A's :smiley_wi (Sunbelt Conf) look to be included in the Playoff Championship group?

W. Kentucky, do you rethink moving to the Sunbelt?

What happens with the scholarship issues? Are they gonna raise that too, or will it stay the same?

GannonFan
August 4th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yep, ain't no BS with the CS!

Well, as long as the GPI doesn't do a Skynet thing and really emulate the BCS. ;)

foghorn
August 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Just shorten it a little to D-I Championship Div. and D-I Bowl Div.; no need to use the 'sub' prefix as it's not necessary and kind of awkward.:twocents:

dbackjon
August 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Just shorten it a little to D-I Championship Div. and D-I Bowl Div.; no need to use the 'sub' prefix as it's not necessary and kind of awkward.:twocents:

Disagree - the SUBdivision is necessary. We have DIVISION I, DIVISION II, DIVISION III already. If you say D-I Championship DIVISION, etc, then you are re-inforcing the belief that we are a separate DIVISION from the rest of DIVISION I.

Jacks99
August 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I like the new names, except for the subdivision part. Hopefully it will reinforce that the BS group doensn't have a true champion. Playoffs are the only way to decide that.

:thumbsup:

ucdtim17
August 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
How long before some of the crappy lower tier I-A's :smiley_wi (Sunbelt Conf) look to be included in the Playoff Championship group?

Not any more than are doing that now

WUTNDITWAA
August 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Oh, here we go.

August 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

What happens with the scholarship issues? Are they gonna raise that too, or will it stay the same?hahahahahaaaaa

schollies stay the same

August 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD! Wonder how long it will take the I-A loving press (and fans) to scoff at the CS? About two seconds IMO. Just watch!ESPN (imagine that) takes shots at I-AA ...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie "The I-AA teams SWINDLED I-A" "I-AA schools got testy that they were labeled as somehow second-class (which, duh, they ARE)." "good luck to either side -- or the NCAA -- getting fans or the media to adopt the ridiculous new lingo"Ridiculous because I-AA got the rightful name!

colgate13
August 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM
ESPN (imagine that) takes shots at I-AA ... Ridiculous because I-AA got the rightful name!

ralph, I agree about the shots, but you did leave out the middle quote:

The I-AA teams SWINDLED I-A: Now the I-AA name is infinitely cooler than the I-A name, not to mention a reminder of how I-AA has an actual championship playoff while I-A builds its on a myth and a prayer.

That's good IMO.

August 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
ralph, I agree about the shots, but you did leave out the middle quote: That's good IMO.Swindled as in cheated them out of the championship name... shame on ESPN again.

colgate13
August 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Swindled as in cheated them out of the championship name... shame on ESPN again.

xlolx

You toe a hard line Mr. Wallace. Have a beer, it's Friday!:beerchug:

August 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
headline might have been:
Championship Name Arrives Home

Can you think of a better one? :)

bluehenbillk
August 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The name change is stupid. It will take years, if ever, for people to stop referring to 1 & 1-AA. Maybe except for the championship game you won't hear it. Now Raph needs to throw out all those 1-AA all the way shirts too.

August 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM
... Now Ralph needs to throw out all those 1-AA all the way shirts too.Throw away???? They're collector items now!! xlolx

CS IS BEST!

August 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM
... One could obviously say that CS means chicken-****...Just laughed at another...
D-I Championship Subdivision= DICS xlolx xlolx :o :eek: :bawling: :rotateh:

walliver
August 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
So the Ivies and the SWAC are now in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision.:D

Since there are other National Championships (D-II and D-III), should we really call it the Division I NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (DINCAAFCS)(DIFCS for short)?

Maybe Fox College Sports (FCS) will realize that they now have the perfect name for FCS football.

August 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
... Since there are other National Championships (D-II and D-III), should we really call it the Division I NCAA Football Championship Subdivision...There are no other subdivisions in the NCAA or in any other sport so championship subdivision without the NCAA and football seems right. I-AA could have been referred to as Division I-AA NCAA Football Subdivision but it was just I-AA... now it's just DICS xlolx (I prefer CS) :)

BEAR
August 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well, when it comes to fan support and pure entertainment, most fans will still stick with the "bigger" I-A schools and consider the rest of us as second class no matter what they call us now. :rotateh: If football is followed by those who believe the media, it will always be this way. I was just sick of hearing UCA called D2Axlolx ...hello, we play UCONN in basketball and UC Davis (Cal-Davis, UCal-Davis, whatever) in Football...when will we be taken seriously?? will the name change help? I hope so. :thumbsup:

........REST IN PEACE PAUL EELLS..........

http://216.250.230.16/katv/paul_eells04.jpg

catamount man
August 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I like it and I am so glad that the word CHAMPIONSHIP is in OUR subdivision. AWESOME!!! Take that, you BCS NFL farm league chumps!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ngineer
August 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Naw, it stays the same... NCAA D-I Football Champs! :nod:

You got it Ralph--now OUR division can say D-I Football Champs. The 'other guys' can fight over who is the 'Tidy Bowl Champ'..;)

Keeper
August 5th, 2006, 02:16 AM
chicken****? woah!!!!!! jokes are expected I guess, both ways... so what's the problem?

The NCAA calls it the football Bowl Subdivision and football Championship Subdivision. Why did the BCS not settle for just Bowls? They never were a true Championship. I can see the posturing already. Maybe it should have been Group instead of Subdiv?

Follow the media if you like, but they are not "bias-free." Going to bed with a crystal ball instead of a tourney will just get our Championship removed from the NCAA. No thanks. The football D-I Champion comes from the Championship Subdivision. They picked the name so let's just go with it.

BTW, do your rankings include every team that plays I-AA or like Sagarin, only D-I?

Why can't the CS Playoffs have a major sponsor as well? It will still be
the D-I championship and comes with a trophy, won't it?
I am a bit sick of the commercialization as well, but if it helps the CS
for more exposure, what the heck (as long as it isn't embarrassing like
Roto-Rooter or Viagra). I bet Coca Cola would do it. (urrrp)

Yesssssssss, my rankings cover all 241 D-1 teams adding UCA & WSSU
this season. Last year AppState was consistently ranked higher in my
system than anyone else's. Final AA vs AA prediction record was 74%,
best of any computer system for full season as far as I know, and 4%
better than Sagarin. Check it out sometime.

I appreciate the labelling comments and look forward to more advice
(helpful ones anyway).

JMU1992
August 5th, 2006, 02:38 AM
from USA Today

"We'll attempt" to drop them, Berst said, in conjunction with the Dec. 22 I-AA championship, which will become the "Division I football championship."

August 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM
from USA Today
"We'll attempt" to drop them, Berst said, in conjunction with the Dec. 22 I-AA championship, which will become the "Division I football championship."That means the NCAA is trying to rush this for this season.

August 5th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Why can't the CS Playoffs have a major sponsor as well?... Yesssssssss, my rankings cover all 241 D-1 teams...Sponsors of NCAA events have to be NCAA sponsors (not outside sponsors).

Awwww, your rankings should really include all the opponents of I-AA to be optimal. I have checked out your site before.

AppMan
August 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM
You guys kill me. Actually thinking a little ole name change is going to reverse the entire college football world's perception of this division. Then you go to the insane level of actually trumpeting the winner of the playoffs as the TRUE Division One National Champion! What are you guys smoking? Nothing has changed except a few letters. Like someone else said, it'll take YEARS for the change to sink into the mind of the media and public. Heck, I'd be willing to bet another change will take place before this one even takes hold. The nomanclature is clunky, difficult to pronounce, not very publishing friendly, and does little to tell Joe Q Public what the division is all about. BCS and PCS would have been perfect. One group determines a champion through the bowl system, the other uses a playoff system. IMO, the NCAA has not done anyone any favors with this name change.

WUTNDITWAA
August 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM
You guys kill me. Actually thinking a little ole name change is going to reverse the entire college football world's perception of this division. Then you go to the insane level of actually trumpeting the winner of the playoffs as the TRUE Division One National Champion! What are you guys smoking? Nothing has changed except a few letters. Like someone else said, it'll take YEARS for the change to sink into the mind of the media and public. Heck, I'd be willing to bet another change will take place before this one even takes hold. The nomanclature is clunky, difficult to pronounce, not very publishing friendly, and does little to tell Joe Q Public what the division is all about. BCS and PCS would have been perfect. One group determines a champion through the bowl system, the other uses a playoff system. IMO, the NCAA has not done anyone any favors with this name change.

INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!

SoCon48
August 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM
from USA Today

"We'll attempt" to drop them, Berst said, in conjunction with the Dec. 22 I-AA championship, which will become the "Division I football championship."

Think it'll help the announcers stop talking constantly about the upcoming bowl games during our National Championship game?
Or division deserves better than having our championship games serve as a warm-up acts for bowl season

AZGrizFan
August 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- During its summer meetings on Thursday, the NCAA Division I of Directors approved new labels for Division I football. The presidents approved a change in terminology to "Football Bowl Subdivision" for the former I-A classification and "NCAA Football Championship Subdivision" for the former I-AA group. The Collegiate Commissioners Association helped develop the new labels.

The presidents believe the new nomenclature, which becomes effective in December, more accurately distinguishes Division I institutions for purposes of governing football, the only sport for which such a distinction is necessary. Members felt the old nomenclature inaccurately tiered Division I institutions in all sports, not just football, and produced instances in which media outlets and other entities incorrectly cited institutions as being Division I-AA in basketball or baseball, for example.

"All Division I institutions, regardless of whether they sponsor football, are in fact and should be referred to as Division I members," said Board Chair and University of Connecticut President Philip Austin. "The only reasons for labeling are the need to distinguish the two football subdivisions for the purpose of governing the sport and to maintain separate statistics. The Board is stressing that the nomenclature reflect the totality of the Division I membership whenever possible and that the subdivision labels be used sparingly. Still, there are instances in which we need to use them, and we feel the new labels are more accurate."

The new nomenclature does not effect the voting structure used in Division I governance matters.

So...what does everybody think? I just wish they would've gotten it in effect for this year, to be honest. :hurray:

I don't know if I like the names, but two things stick out in my mind:

1) It's hilarious that they'll crown a mythical "national champion" from the "Bowl" subdivision and not the "Championship" subdivision. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

2) Hopefully this will finally clear the issue up for all those moronic sports writers who can't seem to figure out the difference between I-AA and I-A and that it only applied to football. I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody referred to the Griz as I-AA basketball.

dbackjon
August 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hopefully this will finally clear the issue up for all those moronic sports writers who can't seem to figure out the difference between I-AA and I-A and that it only applied to football. I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody referred to the Griz as I-AA basketball.

And that is the main reason for this name change. No one on this board is naive enough to think that this will suddenly make everyone in the nation pay attention to our football, but this will help the athletic programs OVERALL.

August 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
You guys kill me...Then why are you and your bowl wishes and crystal ball dreams still alive? xlolx xlolx xlolx

August 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
UPDATE: http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=79814

Added the official report from the NCAA Division I Board of Directors meeting.

Highlight:
BD ACTIONS: Agreed to:

a. Delete the labels Division I-A, I-AA and I-AAA from NCAA use, effective December 22, 2006.

b. Adopt the title “NCAA Division I Football Championship” to replace the “Division I-AA Football Championship,” the current title.

c. Adopt the terms “Football Bowl Subdivision” and “NCAA Football Championship Subdivision” to refer to the level of football played by Division I members.

(Vote: For 8 – Austin, Harrison, Grube, Raines, McFarland, Fisher, McPhee, Weber; Against 5 – Welty, Geoffroy, Barker, Ribeau, Jischke; Abstain 2 – Adams, Rawlins; Not present 3 – Bristow, Curran, DiGiorgio.)

August 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Vote for renaming D-I football labels...

For:
Chancellor, Stephen L. Weber, San Diego State University, Mountain West Conference
President, Philip E. Austin, University of Connecticut, Big East Conference
President, Shirley Raines, University of Memphis, Conference USA
President, Sidney McPhee, Middle Tennessee State University, Sun Belt Conference
President, Bruce F. Grube, Georgia Southern University, Southern Conference
President, Michael McFarland, S.J., College of the Holy Cross, The Patriot League
President, Robert Fisher, Belmont University, Atlantic Sun Conference
President, Walter Harrison, University of Hartford, America East Conference

Abstain:
President, Michael F. Adams, University of Georgia, Southeastern Conference
President, V. Lane Rawlins, Washington State University, Pacific-10 Conference

Against:
President, Gregory Geoffroy, Iowa State University, Big 12 Conference
President, James Barker, Clemson University, Atlantic Coast Conference
President, John D. Welty, California State University, Fresno, Western Athletic Conference
President, Martin C. Jischke, Purdue University, Big Ten Conference
President, Sidney A. Ribeau, Bowling Green State University, Mid-American Conference

Absent:
President, Clinton Bristow Jr., Alcorn State University, Southwestern Athletic Conf.
President, Daniel Curran, University of Dayton, Pioneer Football League/Atlantic 10 Conference
President, Anthony J. Di Giorgio, Winthrop University, Big South Conference

AppMan
August 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Then why are you and your bowl wishes and crystal ball dreams still alive? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Guess I'm just a survivor.

colgate13
August 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Against:
President, John D. Welty, California State University, Fresno, Western Athletic Conference
President, Sidney A. Ribeau, Bowling Green State University, Mid-American Conference

So we can infer that this was done against the wishes of the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, WAC and MAC. Cool!:rotateh:

blukeys
August 6th, 2006, 12:44 AM

I agree. Everyone will know who is who within a year or two. Lose the Sub category for both. I don't see a downside for either Division. I-A is proud of the GMAC and New Orleans Bowls. Let them trumpet their commitment to the Bowl and BCS system,

Keeper
August 6th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Sponsors of NCAA events have to be NCAA sponsors (not outside sponsors).

Awwww, your rankings should really include all the opponents of I-AA to be optimal. I have checked out your site before.

Actually, Ralph, I calculate a pre-season rating for every D1 opponent
who is not in D1, based on those teams final 2005 stats, but don't
list those ratings on my site. Maybe if I had more free time someday
all 700+ teams. The non-D1 teams are usually not updated unless the
game is late in the schedule or the prediction is very iffy. It's not
the best solution but better than nothing and closer to optimal.
If the results are not satisfactory drop me a line. Thanks everyone
for clicking on. (BTW: who are some of those ofcl NCAA sponsors?)

JohnStOnge
August 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM
To me it kind of diminishes the "sound" of the national championship. "I-AA National Champion" has a certain ring to it that I don't think the new terminology will facilitate.

But, to me, changing the label doesn't matter as long as the system stays. It's still a post-season playoff tournament to crown a national champion from among schools of similar resource levels.

TexasTerror
August 6th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Quotes from I-AA Waves fave Patty V from the Gateway plus some remarks from UNI AD and head coach...

Division 1-AA football label on way out
By DOUG NEWHOFF, Sports Editor

ST. LOUIS --- Beginning next season, Division I-AA football will have a new name.

At the request of administrators nationwide, the NCAA has approved new designations intended to clear up some of the confusion that currently exists regarding its Division I football divisions.

The former I-A classification will change to "Football Bowl Subdivision." The former I-AA label will become, "NCAA Football Championship Subdivision."

While the changes more accurately define the two Division I classifications, I-AA officials also hope they make it clear to the general public that I-AA schools are, in fact, Division I and compete at that level in other sports.

"It's sort of ironic that there is more capital and more good feelings about this I-AA subdivision than ever before, but unfortunately those football labels get transferred to our sports other than football, like baseball and basketball," Gateway Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said during the league's kickoff in St. Louis.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2006/08/06/sports/local/doc44d56ca4f119d702249166.txt

shakdaddy3
August 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
can announcers still refer to I-A as I-A after december 22? u know, for the BCS bowls that are in January would they still say I-A or Football Bowl Subdivision?

can they force anyone to adopt the change? just wondering...

TheValleyRaider
August 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
can announcers still refer to I-A as I-A after december 22? u know, for the BCS bowls that are in January would they still say I-A or Football Bowl Subdivision?

can they force anyone to adopt the change? just wondering...

They can't force them, per se, but the organizations ESPN (for example) covers have plenty of pull with annoucers and programming, especially College and the NFL. It might take a while for announcers to get the hang of the new terminology, but if someone repeatedly and purposefully uses I-A/I-AA, you can bet the NCAA will complain to the network about it. Their company's policy is to use the "official" terminology. Like how they'll always use the corporate name of a stadium even if it's rarely referred to that way elsewhere. :twocents:

JaxSinfonian
August 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
To me it kind of diminishes the "sound" of the national championship. "I-AA National Champion" has a certain ring to it that I don't think the new terminology will facilitate.

So, "Division I National Champion" doesn't do it for you?

But, to me, changing the label doesn't matter as long as the system stays. It's still a post-season playoff tournament to crown a national champion from among schools of similar resource levels.

Agreed.

Announcers, sportswriters and even coaches don't use the current terminology correctly. Why should we expect they'll use the new labels any better?

McTailGator
August 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
So, "Division I National Champion" doesn't do it for you?

Agreed.

Announcers, sportswriters and even coaches don't use the current terminology correctly. Why should we expect they'll use the new labels any better?

No need to even speak of it....

McTailGator
August 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM

.:coach:

shakdaddy3
August 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
They can't force them, per se, but the organizations ESPN (for example) covers have plenty of pull with annoucers and programming, especially College and the NFL. It might take a while for announcers to get the hang of the new terminology, but if someone repeatedly and purposefully uses I-A/I-AA, you can bet the NCAA will complain to the network about it. Their company's policy is to use the "official" terminology. Like how they'll always use the corporate name of a stadium even if it's rarely referred to that way elsewhere. :twocents:

I was kind of thinking that... thanx for the help though. Personally, I am in favor of the rule changes and I do think, in the long term, it will benefit the college playoff subdivision. However, compared to the Bowl peoples, we have a lot of ground to make... a.k.a. $$$$$$

:twocents:

chattanoogamocs
August 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Interesting commentary by Mark Weidmer in Monday's Chattanooga Times-Free Press. He applied his usual sarcasm to the article, but then pulled it back in with a good ending (sometimes his writing style irritates me, but 95% of the time I agree with what he is saying...even with this article, the "sub"division, while technically a correct terminology, is a bit clunky sounding).

What Ifound interesting were the comments by former AD Steve Sloan...he has been at every level (player, coach, AD)...from BCS, to taking school to IA, to the Mocs, so he would have as good a perspective as anyone...

Yet I-AA’s passion on this issue has never wavered. But don’t take my word on it. Listen to just-retired UTC athletic director Steve Sloan, who coached big-time football, ran bigtime athletic departments and ended his career with the I-AA Mocs.
"I know it sounds crazy, but it was the right thing to do," Sloan said Sunday. "I’d have people stop me on the street and ask, ‘So do you play I-AA in golf, too?’
"Some schools would use it against you in recruiting. They’d tell a tennis player, ‘You don’t want to go there. That’s a I-AA school.’ It would make young athletes think they weren’t going to a Division I school.
"I’ll tell you, I never thought much about it until I came to UTC. But it became pretty irritating pretty quickly there. If you’re Division I, you’re Division I in all sports."
The NCAA football championship subdivision. It definitely sounds crazy, but maybe it sounds right.

FULL ARTICLE:
http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=3022.topic

CollegeSportsInfo
August 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Well, there is Division I, Division II and Division III. So if you are saying it should be Division and not Subdivision, than we would need a structure like Division I-A and Division I-AA...oh wait....we had that already.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Vote for renaming D-I football labels...

For:
Chancellor, Stephen L. Weber, San Diego State University, Mountain West Conference
President, Philip E. Austin, University of Connecticut, Big East Conference
President, Shirley Raines, University of Memphis, Conference USA
President, Sidney McPhee, Middle Tennessee State University, Sun Belt Conference
President, Bruce F. Grube, Georgia Southern University, Southern Conference
President, Michael McFarland, S.J., College of the Holy Cross, The Patriot League
President, Robert Fisher, Belmont University, Atlantic Sun Conference
President, Walter Harrison, University of Hartford, America East Conference

Abstain:
President, Michael F. Adams, University of Georgia, Southeastern Conference
President, V. Lane Rawlins, Washington State University, Pacific-10 Conference

Against:

Absent:
President, Clinton Bristow Jr., Alcorn State University, Southwestern Athletic Conf.
President, Daniel Curran, University of Dayton, Pioneer Football League/Atlantic 10 Conference
President, Anthony J. Di Giorgio, Winthrop University, Big South Conference
Bristow and Curran are a couple of slackers that should have been voting.

henfan
August 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Some people are making waaaay too much of this.

I don't think the point of the legislation was to draw more attention to the FB sub-division. If that happens as a result, great, as unlikely as that is. I don't see it happening unless the subdivision's postseason became a financially viable option for teams who now compete in 'minor' bowls.

As many have said though, this was a move done mainly to avoid confusion with other D-I sports. Whether it helps football or not in time, remains to be seen. Obviously though, the majority of D-I membership felt that it was important enough to get the change enacted, regardless of what some fans might think.

To clarify (or not), the winner of the USA Today/ESPN Coaches’ Poll wins something called the ADT National Champion Trophy. The winner of the playoff division's national championship game will win something called the NCAA Division I Football Championship trophy. One is sponsored by ADT Security Services and the other by the NCAA. That's no comment on the legitimacy of one championship versus another. Both are valid for what they are and represent tremendous achievements.

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

http://www.afca.org/Graphics/0104ADTTrophy.jpg

http://www.i-aa.org/images/articles/32664_I-AATrophy100w2.jpg

MarkCCU
August 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Now everyone will know that the true champions are the smaller schools

GSUISBACK
August 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Now everyone will know that the true champions are the smaller schools
doubt it

IaaScribe
August 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Just to be clear, I've rarely read a story after the MNC game in the BCS referring to the winner as the NCAA Division I champion, because it's simply not true. Most just say "national champion," which can work because it's an ambiguous term.

August 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Just to be clear, I've rarely read a story after the MNC game in the BCS referring to the winner as the NCAA Division I champion, because it's simply not true. Most just say "national champion," which can work because it's an ambiguous term.Now they can say loud and proud, without hesitation, the true and definitive phrase "WE ARE BOWL CHAMPIONS" while the NCAA winner can say in the same way "WE ARE D-I CHAMPIONS!" :nod:

NC Aggie
August 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Simply stupid. Probably paid an psychoanalyst consultant to come up with it.

CollegeSportsInfo
August 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Simply stupid. Probably paid an psychoanalyst consultant to come up with it. And a handful of market research companies.xlolx