PDA

View Full Version : Bethune-Cookman To Don Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness

superman7515
October 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Bethune-Cookman To Don Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness (http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20121018/SPORTS/121019709/1001?Title=B-CU-football-team-to-don-pink-helmets-for-breast-cancer-awareness)

The Bethune-Cookman football team is planning to wear pink helmets for Saturday's Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference home game against Norfolk State in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Wildcats will hold an auction for a limited-edition pink B-CU football helmet at BCUathletics.com, as well as at the stadium throughout the first half of Saturday's game, which starts at 4 p.m. at Municipal Stadium.

Bids began at 9 a.m. Thursday. In addition, donations for breast cancer research will be collected throughout the game.

B-CU coach Brian Jenkins said the cost of producing the pink helmets for the Wildcats was expected to run between $14,000-$15,000 and that private donors helped defray the cost.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/EY/EYWXFJTLVNHXDUN.20121015203654.jpg

Humble Steward
October 19th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for posting Supe. I actually like the pink helmets. I hope we are able to raise a significant amount for such a worthy cause. Let's Go Wildcats!!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

superman7515
October 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I actually think the helmet looks pretty cool. It sounds like just the helmet is pink, any idea if they're wearing the white, black, or burgundy jerseys with these? The black would look pretty sweet, the white would work, but I'd have to see the burgundy first, haha.

HensRock
October 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM
OK....
I'm might sound like a real politically incorrect, cold-hearted SOB here, but here it goes anyway...

Is anyone else wondering why they just don't take the $14-15K they raised for the helmets and just donate it to the American Cancer Society?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Totally agree Hensrock. And what about Prostate Cancer, for example? I mean, there's like 30,000 deaths to prostate cancer each year (only 10K less than breast cancer), yet the disproportion of attention to breast cancer is enormous, especially considering the danger to black men.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-great-dichotomy-breast-cancer-versus-prostate-106207.html

I am all for fundraising and raising awareness, but this Pink-tober crap has me sick to my stomach with all the pink on football players. One week is enough, and yes, take the awareness investments and put them toward research please.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the rant. Please continue with your pathetic praise of the pink helmet. When I think of pink helmets... well, let's just say football is not the first thing that comes to mind.

HailSzczur
October 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
OK....
I'm might sound like a real politically incorrect, cold-hearted SOB here, but here it goes anyway...

Is anyone else wondering why they just don't take the $14-15K they raised for the helmets and just donate it to the American Cancer Society?

My guess is that the program wants to feel personally responsible for money raised for breast cancer, instead of just turning over donations.

I'd much rather see a program doing some sort of a fun raising for charity than just asking for money. The other day as I came out of Sam's Club the West Chester Woman's Hockey team was out just asking for donations to go to a tournament. I'd much rather see BC working for it.

CB Eagle
October 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM
OK....

I'd be willing to bet its because not only will this raise money via donation, but also because wearing these helmets raises "awareness" for the cause, which may have a greater impact over time (both monetarily and encouraging women to get checked and educated on the subject).

TheRevSFA
October 19th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Totally agree Hensrock. And what about Prostate Cancer, for example? I mean, there's like 30,000 deaths to prostate cancer each year (only 10K less than breast cancer), yet the disproportion of attention to breast cancer is enormous, especially considering the danger to black men.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-great-dichotomy-breast-cancer-versus-prostate-106207.html

I am all for fundraising and raising awareness, but this Pink-tober crap has me sick to my stomach with all the pink on football players. One week is enough, and yes, take the awareness investments and put them toward research please.

Hey you know there was a ride in which a certain AGS poster partook in that was for ACS..covering all forms of Cancer.

Maybe next year you'll donate to it

TheRevSFA
October 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM
OK....

Why does the NFL have pink towels and gloves and such for the month of October? Because wearing the color helps put out awareness.

superman7515
October 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM

That's what Movember is for.

http://us.movember.com/

OVERVIEW OF MOVEMBER
During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo's, these men raise vital awareness and funds for men's health issues, specifically prostate and testicular cancer initiatives.

Appaholic
October 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
This pinkwashing is getting out of hand. If given the opportunity as a player, I would refuse to support this & I imagine others would as well if they researched the history of the Pink October Awareness sham. This program was created by Imperial Chemical, a major polluter of carcinogens with their production of various plastics. It's a total pinkwash to cover their *** & divert attention, and blame, back on the cancer sufferer. If you'll notice, they seldom are raising awareness about how exposure to known carcinogens (such as ingredients in products they produce) will drastically increase the likelihood of cancer. Instead, they raise awareness on checking for cancer already in your body, not actual preventative care. Essentially, they are saying "you got cancer? ooops...guess you didn't get a mammogram in time..." instead of focusing on known causes. It's a total sham....follow the money...Breast Cancer Deception Month

http://www.tbyil.com/breast-cancer-deception.htm

http://planet.infowars.com/uncategorized/the-breast-cancer-con

Redhawk2010
October 19th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I don't have a problem with some pink stuff. But I think when you go out and spend thousands of dollars, that's going too far. Get some pink towels, use some pink tape, etc. Have fun :) I actually have some pink athletic tape at work at the moment...

Humble Steward
October 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Wow!!! What a negative reaction to such a positive cause. The helmets may have cost 14 - 15K, but will be auctioned off to the highest bidders. The goal is to raise more than what you spent to donate to a very worthy cause. They will also be selling T-shirts separately along with a T-shirt and ticket combo for the game. All proceeds will be donated as well. I think sometimes we just go a little overboard on any topic these days. I'm pretty sure we will raise well above the incurred expense that was given by private donors.

Head football coach Brian Jenkins and his team will host an auction for a limited edition pink Bethune-Cookman football helmet through BCUathletics.com, as well as at the stadium throughout the first half of the game. Bids for the helmet will begin Thursday at 9 a.m. In addition, donations will be collected throughout Saturday's game from fans in attendance.
The Wildcats football team will also wear pink towels and wristbands during the game.

All proceeds from the auction and donations will go towards supporting breast cancer awareness and research.
At the request of Coach Jenkins, breast cancer survivors will lead the Legacy Walk while the B-CU football players and coaching staff wear pink ribbons on their suit jackets as they enter the stadium at 2 p.m. Bikers from the annual Daytona Beach Biketoberfest will also be in attendance.

Limited edition Bethune-Cookman Football breast cancer awareness shirts are on sale at the B-CU Box Office for just $5. Fans may also purchase a combo pack with a shirt and a ticket with admittance to the game in the Cat Zone for just $10. Order your shirt and tickets now by clicking here, or by calling (386) 481-2465.

Having a mother that is a survivor of Breast Cancer after two bouts of this terrible disease allows you to appreciate all efforts that is given to research and breast cancer awareness. Just my two cents.

Humble Steward
October 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I actually think the helmet looks pretty cool. It sounds like just the helmet is pink, any idea if they're wearing the white, black, or burgundy jerseys with these? The black would look pretty sweet, the white would work, but I'd have to see the burgundy first, haha.

I hope it's the white or black, but I haven't heard which unis they are going to wear. Should be nice though.

bojeta
October 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM
OK....

Yes! I wouldn't reply to this normally, but my wife and I were just having this conversation. Not just Bethune Cookman, but multiply this by all the money spent by NCAA, NFL, MLB, NBA, heck, even high schools on pink outfits, lights etc. and we're talking MILLIONS of dollars that could have gone directly to research!!! A much bigger statement for me would have been large banners at each event saying WE COULD HAVE WASTED MONEY ON PINK OUTFITS, BUT INSTEAD GAVE MILLIONS TO FIGHT BREAST CANCER!!! Now that would be impressive.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I apologize for the threadjack away from the good work being done by Bethune-Cookman to save lives.

That said, don't let the negativity suggest that any of us that are tired of pink are any less supportive of research efforts to cure cancer. It's the PR sham that has taken over the NFL that gets me the most. I also was not a big fan of our entire crowd in a mix of pink and purple for the day we raise awareness for breast cancer at JMU. It looked like Hitler's crew just went all Nazi on the Care Bear Nation. That or a Cotton Candy Zeppelin exploded over Harrisonburg. Either way, not cool.

I do my fair share of donations to causes I know, trust and believe in. Neither my mother, my wife, nor my daughters are immune from this disease. It doesn't mean I should be subjected to watching the color pink ruin my favorite past time. I applaud all who care and show support, but let's keep uniforms true to the definition of "uni"form.

Peace out! My prayers and sincere hope for full remission for any cancer victims out there.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 19th, 2012, 03:18 PM
A much bigger statement for me would have been large banners at each event saying WE COULD HAVE WASTED MONEY ON PINK OUTFITS, BUT INSTEAD GAVE MILLIONS TO FIGHT BREAST CANCER!!! Now that would be impressive.

Indeed! xthumbsupx

dgtw
October 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I once saw Martina Navratilova testifying before Congress asking for more money for breast cancer research. I was hoping someone would ask her how she felt taking all that money from a company that sold a product that led to the deaths of more women than breast cancer.

Appaholic
October 19th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Wow!!! What a negative reaction to such a positive cause. The helmets may have cost 14 - 15K, but will be auctioned off to the highest bidders. The goal is to raise more than what you spent to donate to a very worthy cause. They will also be selling T-shirts separately along with a T-shirt and ticket combo for the game. All proceeds will be donated as well. I think sometimes we just go a little overboard on any topic these days. I'm pretty sure we will raise well above the incurred expense that was given by private donors.

Head football coach Brian Jenkins and his team will host an auction for a limited edition pink Bethune-Cookman football helmet through BCUathletics.com, as well as at the stadium throughout the first half of the game. Bids for the helmet will begin Thursday at 9 a.m. In addition, donations will be collected throughout Saturday's game from fans in attendance.
The Wildcats football team will also wear pink towels and wristbands during the game.

All proceeds from the auction and donations will go towards supporting breast cancer awareness and research.
At the request of Coach Jenkins, breast cancer survivors will lead the Legacy Walk while the B-CU football players and coaching staff wear pink ribbons on their suit jackets as they enter the stadium at 2 p.m. Bikers from the annual Daytona Beach Biketoberfest will also be in attendance.

Limited edition Bethune-Cookman Football breast cancer awareness shirts are on sale at the B-CU Box Office for just $5. Fans may also purchase a combo pack with a shirt and a ticket with admittance to the game in the Cat Zone for just $10. Order your shirt and tickets now by clicking here, or by calling (386) 481-2465.

Having a mother that is a survivor of Breast Cancer after two bouts of this terrible disease allows you to appreciate all efforts that is given to research and breast cancer awareness. Just my two cents.

Sorry man. Shouldn't have hijacked as my comments were not meant as a negative towards your school's good intentions. Mea culpa....

HensRock
October 19th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I just wonder how much money from these "Awareness Raising" efforts actually ends up going toward research vs. the pockets of the promoters, primarily the apparrel companies.

And another thing - Can the American football fan possibly get any more AWARE of Breast Cancer??? I think we're saturated.

I'm not picking on BCU here. Their intentions are good and its a noble cause. It's really the NFL that has completely turned me off to it.

gsu_paintballer
October 19th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I just wonder how much money from these "Awareness Raising" efforts actually ends up going toward research vs. the pockets of the promoters, primarily the apparrel companies.

And another thing - Can the American football fan possibly get any more AWARE of Breast Cancer??? I think we're saturated.

I'm not picking on BCU here. Their intentions are good and its a noble cause. It's really the NFL that has completely turned me off to it.

...or sports at all.

JSUBison
October 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Pretty much how I view the whole thing as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
OK....

I've been asking individuals this that go out and buy the pink shirts and look like a bunch of dip****s running around "supporting" the cause. Give the 30 or 40 to the organization and hand out a flier or something.

It's a way to make money for sure but most of the money being made is by cloting manufacturers and retail outlets. Some goes to cancer but isn't it a fraction? If this is about supporting cancer then just go give the money to them, volunteer, whatever you can do but a bunch of men running around like it's some big gay pride parade is just dumb as hell to me.

From my perspective I am real happy we all want to save the breasts. I got absolutely nothing against that to be perfectly clear.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
hmmm, looks like I should have read further before posting again because what I've said has probably already been discussed/answered.