PDA

View Full Version : NDSU v usd at high school field in sioux falls

LakesBison
October 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
as most of you know, south dakota gave up their home field to play NDSU in sioux falls and hope to cash in on the sioux falls base before sdsu does.

well, the ticket release was a debacle (NDSU fans cashed in on their mistake) and now the tailgating is a cluster bleep with 2 other events happening in the 4 block radius of howard wood field.

regardless, expect 50-50 tickets sold 5000 ndsu, 5000 usd (but with pheasant hunting season opener, maybe 3500 usd people will actually show up with season tickets that included this game)

ON the field, NDSU looks to avenge its only loss in 1 year and take it out on the coyotes.

WR RYAN SMITH was ruled out because of a concussion
WR Zach Vraa ruled out with shoulder
TE Bruhn is out
RB Crockett has groin pull
FS Sheppard has lacerated kidney (out for year)
FB Grothman is dinged up
SS Heagle out all year. per bisonboone

not looking good for NDSU with the injury bug, most of us are heading to sioux falls on friday and stimulate the economy and start tailgating friday night.

darell1976
October 18th, 2012, 02:52 PM
as most of you know, south dakota gave up their home field to play NDSU in sioux falls and hope to cash in on the sioux falls base before sdsu does.

well, the ticket release was a debacle (NDSU fans cashed in on their mistake) and now the tailgating is a cluster bleep with 2 other events happening in the 4 block radius of howard wood field.

regardless, expect 50-50 tickets sold 5000 ndsu, 5000 usd (but with pheasant hunting season opener, maybe 3500 usd people will actually show up with season tickets that included this game)

ON the field, NDSU looks to avenge its only loss in 1 year and take it out on the coyotes.

TE Bruhn is out
FB Grothman is dinged up

not looking good for NDSU with the injury bug, most of us are heading to sioux falls on friday and stimulate the economy and start tailgating friday night.

Even with all the injuries NDSU will destory the Yotes.

bisonboone11
October 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM

TE Bruhn is out
FB Grothman is dinged up

Obviously this one isn't recent, but Heagle was injured early (week 2 I believe) and is out for the year.

LakesBison
October 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM
itll look like this on teh NDSU side.

Laker
October 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Augustana is hosting Sioux Falls at one that day for the Key to the City. First matchup in 26 years. It will be a busy day in Sioux Falls. I watched Augie play several times in Howard Wood. Ten thousand predicted for the NDSU-USD game- that will be interesting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2012, 03:13 PM
This is a weird deal all the way around. How many seats does this HS stadium hold?

bojeta
October 18th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Were the renovations and upgrades ever made to Howard Wood Field? The only pics I find on line show the stadium in shambles...

darell1976
October 18th, 2012, 03:20 PM
This is a weird deal all the way around. How many seats does this HS stadium hold?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Wood_Field

Howard Wood Field is a stadium in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, constructed in 1957. Holding 10,000 people, it is one of the premier American football and track facilities in the region. Field turf was installed to replace the natural grass after a renovation project in 2003.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Good thread Lakes. A little off topic here but he just went to two greenies. I swear to you, I never thought I'd see the day when he wasn't red.xlolx

FargoBison
October 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM

10,000 I believe. That said NDSU and USD have played a lot of games at Howard Wood, never against each other but vs Augustana College who called the field home for 50 years.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
10,000 I believe. That said NDSU and USD have played a lot of games at Howard Wood, never against each other but vs Augustana College who called the field home for 50 years.

Kind of a cool history thing then huh?

Kemo
October 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Article and video on Howard Wood renovations:

http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19744&Itemid=57#video

FargoBison
October 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Yeah it is. There is a lot of old North Central Conference flavor in this game which is definitely kind of cool.

darell1976
October 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah it is. There is a lot of old North Central Conference flavor in this game which is definitely kind of cool.

Augy is probably having a better year than USD.

Kemo
October 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Augy is probably having a better year than USD.
Augie is 3-4 this year, so they are barely better, and I would say they are doing worse based on expectations.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Good thread Lakes. A little off topic here but he just went to two greenies. I swear to you, I never thought I'd see the day when he wasn't red.xlolx

Oh no, now his neg rep will count!

Jacked_Rabbit
October 18th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Watching games at Howard Field, or any football field that has a large track (8 lanes or more) around it, absolutely blows... If USD was smart, which they obviously aren't, they would've made this a true home game and kept it in Vermillion. That would've been their only chance to keep things competitive, as they'll lose all home field advantage playing outside their mini-Dome.

SDSU played one game at Howard Wood during their transition (victory over UC Davis) and will never do it again. They need to face the fact that state of South Dakota (SF included) is predominantly made up of Jackrabbit fans, and that won't change until they are able to significantly increase their enrollment and entice more people to come to Verm-town.

whitey
October 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM
(but with pheasant hunting season opener, maybe 3500 usd people will actually show up with season tickets that included this game)

Are they pheasants decimating the grub worm population?

Jacked_Rabbit
October 18th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Pheasants outnumbers good-looking women 100-1 in the state of South Dakota.... Maybe they are decimating that population?!

LakesBison
October 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
did i mention its at a High School field??? but heck, SDSU has a high school field..... so we did allright.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
did i mention its at a High School field??? but heck, SDSU has a high school field..

Funny, I remember in high school, we used Dacotah Field, same as the Bison.

UNIFanSince1983
October 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN0qpz81XVc

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Oh no, now his neg rep will count!

He has assured me that will no longer be going on and I trust it until further notice is served. It causes trouble and he seems to be trying to avoid it currently which is good for all of us.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
He has assured me that will no longer be going on and I trust it until further notice is served. It causes trouble and he seems to be trying to avoid it currently which is good for all of us.

Dammit Ursus, what's with all this Dr. Phil ****? You are making it really hard for me to be an antagonistic smartass.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
did i mention its at a High School field??? but heck, SDSU has a high school field..... so we did allright.

What's this now?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Dammit Ursus, what's with all this Dr. Phil ****? You are making it really hard for me to be an antagonistic smartass.

You will likely overcome that.:D

Jacked_Rabbit
October 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Good one, Lakes, but I'm not going to take the bait... xpeacex

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Good one, Lakes, but I'm not going to take the bait... xpeacex

That's what I was wondering? I sensed a slight bit of negativity there from him and was beginning to think I may have spoken too soon again.

LakesBison
October 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM
huh bait? no, just saying that I forgot that Sdsu is a high school field. truth spoken, no bait!! dont think of it as bait jacked rabbit!!! nooooo!!!

now a carrot... that'd be different?? ha ha.

sdsu fans will be cheering for ndsu im sure in this one.

frozennorth
October 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
i'm glad that of all the opponents ndsu could face during omfg-the-offense-is-decimated-by-injury-week, it was usd. 19-0 final ndsu

edit: when I was in highschool, both north and south played all their games in the fargodome, and do so for quite a few years

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2012, 07:48 PM
i'm glad that of all the opponents ndsu could face during omfg-the-offense-is-decimated-by-injury-week, it was usd. 19-0 final ndsu

edit: when I was in highschool, both north and south played all their games in the fargodome, and do so for quite a few years

I don't doubt that but I graduated before the Fargodome was built.

frozennorth
October 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I don't doubt that but I graduated before the Fargodome was built.

would you like me to mail you some depends?

Laker
October 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM

I haven't seen Howard Wood lately but lots of high schools, even from Minnesota, went out there for track. MSU-Mankato was supposed to play at HW against Augie one year- someone had driven cars across the wet field the night before making it unplayable. They moved the game to noon to the DakotaDome- after that I stuck around for the NDSU-USD game. Field turf was a great improvement for as much as they used that field.

FCS SDSU lost at home to D3 UW-Lacrosse in a quagmire. There was a high school game the night before in a monsoon and they still had a grass field.

NoCoDanny
October 18th, 2012, 08:43 PM
At least it's outdoors.

grayghost06
October 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'd be hard pressed to understand the wisdom of moving an on campus home game against the toughest team on your schedule to an off campus venue 60 miles away. It would be different if it was to a larger stadium to accomodate an overflow crowd, but that isn't the case. Or perhaps to gain exposure in a big market. But Sioux Falls is 1 hr. away, which in a state with as small a population as SD is practically next door. I seriously doubt USD lacks press coverage. I mean they are one of only two D-I schools in the whole state. Seems a disservice to the students and season ticket holders.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'd be hard pressed to understand the wisdom of moving an on campus home game against the toughest team on your schedule to an off campus venue 60 miles away. It would be different if it was to a larger stadium to accomodate an overflow crowd, but that isn't the case. Or perhaps to gain exposure in a big market. But Sioux Falls is 1 hr. away, which in a state with as small a population as SD is practically next door. I seriously doubt USD lacks press coverage. I mean they are one of only two D-I schools in the whole state. Seems a disservice to the students and season ticket holders.

USD is viewed as the red-headed step child in South Dakota. They get far less media coverage than SDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
would you like me to mail you some depends?

Because you only have to be about 38 to fall under that category.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't seen Howard Wood lately but lots of high schools, even from Minnesota, went out there for track. MSU-Mankato was supposed to play at HW against Augie one year- someone had driven cars across the wet field the night before making it unplayable. They moved the game to noon to the DakotaDome- after that I stuck around for the NDSU-USD game. Field turf was a great improvement for as much as they used that field.

FCS SDSU lost at home to D3 UW-Lacrosse in a quagmire. There was a high school game the night before in a monsoon and they still had a grass field.

I remember Wisconsin Lacrosse real well. Man do you remember Newberry from there? Saw that dude play in Helena back when they would seem to face Carrol College all the time in a semi.

Drblankstare
October 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
USD is viewed as the red-headed step child in South Dakota. They get far less media coverage than SDSU.

I agree with that, I grew up in SD and nobody ever talked about USD football. I still can't believe that they made the jump up with SDSU.

McNeese72
October 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Hey, I remember that field. When McNeese played at SDSU in 2008, McNeese flew into Sioux Falls and stayed at the Sheraton on the other side of the block. I remember seeing some high school teams playing there when a group of us went out to eat that Friday night.

Doc

grayghost06
October 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Well, at least it is nice to play outside while you still can. From an outsiders standpoint, it's too bad the coverage is unequal- esp. since it looks like USD had the upper hand in the series till around 1990 ( and still leads all time 52-48).

As a JMU grad, I'd love to have an in state rival we've played 100 times.

IBleedYellow
October 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I agree with that, I grew up in SD and nobody ever talked about USD football. I still can't believe that they made the jump up with SDSU.

They actually made the jump with UND, although I still can't believe it!

LakesBison
October 19th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Neither team belongs in d1. O well. Sdsu will enjoy the beat down we put on their ill sister.

Release the Kraken !!! We are off to Sioux falls...if anyone from NDSU stops in at Dakota magic tomorrow in 12 hours and I'm still at this craps table.....punch me, drug me and take me to Sheraton Sioux falls. Awesome , thanks

BisonBabe
October 19th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Neither team belongs in d1. O well. Sdsu will enjoy the beat down we put on their ill sister.

Release the Kraken !!! We are off to Sioux falls...if anyone from NDSU stops in at Dakota magic tomorrow in 12 hours and I'm still at this craps table.....punch me, drug me and take me to Sheraton Sioux falls. Awesome , thanks

Be careful what you ask for ... See everyone in Sioux Falls tomorrow afternoon ... Would like to be there tonight but will be watching my daughters musical tonight.

BISON Thunder
October 19th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hey, I remember that field. When McNeese played at SDSU in 2008, McNeese flew into Sioux Falls and stayed at the Sheraton on the other side of the block. I remember seeing some high school teams playing there when a group of us went out to eat that Friday night.

Doc

Did the field have goalposts and lines and stuff?

Thumper 76
October 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Actually I believe that Howard Wood field has a larger capacity than the Dakota Dome.

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Actually I believe that Howard Wood field has a larger capacity than the Dakota Dome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DakotaDome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Wood_Field

I would agree with you. The two articles say that both have 10,000 but I would think that HW would have more area for standing room, etc. I don't know what the Fire Marshall will allow.

THE HERD
October 19th, 2012, 08:26 AM

TE Bruhn is out
FB Grothman is dinged up
SS Heagle out all year. per bisonboone

You forgot about Keller with the bad hammy.....will only be kicking short field goals and no kick offs. Everybody is thinking this will be a slam dunk game, but it may not be the offense is really dinged up and will be missing some key contributors. Getting Grothman back at FB should help the running game, but Bruhn still being out at TE hurts. Those two I believe are real key to running game, especially Grothman, that guy blows defenders up! Those two bieng out really showed against ISU, not to take anything away from the Trees D, which is pretty damn good. We really need to play a clean game with no turnovers, because the offense will not be anywhere near full strength.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
You forgot about Keller with the bad hammy.....will only be kicking short field goals and no kick offs. Everybody is thinking this will be a slam dunk game, but it may not be the offense is really dinged up and will be missing some key contributors. Getting Grothman back at FB should help the running game, but Bruhn still being out at TE hurts. Those two I believe are real key to running game, especially Grothman, that guy blows defenders up! Those two bieng out really showed against ISU, not to take anything away from the Trees D, which is pretty damn good. We really need to play a clean game with no turnovers, because the offense will not be anywhere near full strength.

Run it about 100 times, get the game over quickly and lick the wounds getting ready for SIU. Hopefully this is like PVAM

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't blame injuries one iota for the loss against ISU and I don't think it should matter that much against USD. You can put out a laundry list of starters on the shelf but I bet almost every team in the nation can do the same thing by this time in October. Sure, we're missing guys like Vraa, Smith, and Bruhn but look at the list of players that are healthy:

Brock Jensen
Sam Ojuri
Billy Turner
Cole Jirik
Travis Beck
Grant Olson
Marcus Williams

And I could fill a whole page with more. Good teams know how to make up for injuries. Good teams have depth. The Bison have a good team but they got beat by a better team (at least on that day) last week. I think even with the injuries this is an easy 3 score win for the healthy Bison.

THE HERD
October 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I don't blame injuries one iota for the loss against ISU and I don't think it should matter that much against USD. You can put out a laundry list of starters on the shelf but I bet almost every team in the nation can do the same thing by this time in October. Sure, we're missing guys like Vraa, Smith, and Bruhn but look at the list of players that are healthy:

Brock Jensen
Sam Ojuri
Billy Turner
Cole Jirik
Travis Beck
Grant Olson
Marcus Williams

And I could fill a whole page with more. Good teams know how to make up for injuries. Good teams have depth. The Bison have a good team but they got beat by a better team (at least on that day) last week. I think even with the injuries this is an easy 3 score win for the healthy Bison.

I agree with ya and definitely wasn't blaming the ISU loss on injuries. We lost that game because we gave the ball away 3 times and two of them for scores, plain and simple. We play a turnover free game tomorrow and we should win by a nice margin. We will probably see a lot of running tomorrow and a few middle screen passes with all the WR injuries......it will be the 2010 offense. haha

THE HERD
October 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Run it about 100 times, get the game over quickly and lick the wounds getting ready for SIU. Hopefully this is like PVAM

The Egyptian Dogs are all of a sudden looking a lot better. They do have an excellent Dline, especially their NT, and they are tough to run on.....we will need to throw to loosen up the run D in that one, just look at last years game. Our offense had one big pass play that game otherwise they shut us down pretty damn good.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM

And yet USD is the only South Dakota team to play for a National Title in football (1986 NDSU 27 USD 7).

Twentysix
October 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
And yet USD is the only South Dakota team to play for a National Title in football (1986 NDSU 27 USD 7).

xnonox out of this thread! xnonox xawesomex

NoDak 4 Ever
October 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM

That's a perfectly appropriate point to make in response to the other post.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM

What did I say? I found it wierd how USD is the red-headed step child and most of the media is towards the Jacks but yet the only school in the state that played for a DII title was the Yotes. This is a USD thread right?

Twentysix
October 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
What did I say? I found it wierd how USD is the red-headed step child and most of the media is towards the Jacks but yet the only school in the state that played for a DII title was the Yotes. This is a USD thread right?

I am just fking with you. I don't care if you run SDSU under the bus.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I am just fking with you. I don't care if you run SDSU under the bus.

Or run them over with a bus. :D

Twentysix
October 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Or run them over with a bus. :D

Start with nate wolters, please and thank you. You will surely improve our basketball record by atleast one win.

Kemo
October 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM
...and Mr. Mister had an album that topped the charts in 1986, but you don't see the kids today jamming out to "Broken Wings."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWyeVfuolT4

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Just this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPYF2p-cGx8

Twentysix
October 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Media player library increased by two songs.

Gracias chicos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FKCnHWas3HQ

NDSU captured its first NC this year. :D

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Great point, Darell... Really strange why USD's appearance in the 1986 D2 National Championship isn't getting them more press coverage these days... xrotatehx

WTF are you talking about dude?!?! Read that post back to yourself once and listen to how stupid it sounds.

The fact tha SDSU has a significantly larger enrollment and fan base, that they transitioned to D1 first, that they've had much more success in all sports over the past decades, etc, etc, probably matters a little more than a 1986 D2 playoff appearance... You are really reaching on that one bro, but good effort.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Great point, Darell... Really strange why USD's appearance in the 1986 D2 National Championship isn't getting them more press coverage these days... xrotatehx

WTF are you talking about dude?!?! Read that post back to yourself once and listen to how stupid it sounds.

The fact tha SDSU has a significantly larger enrollment and fan base, that they transitioned to D1 first, that they've had much more success in all sports over the past decades, etc, etc, probably matters a little more than a 1986 D2 playoff appearance... You are really reaching on that one bro, but good effort.

I could've said which school came first in the Dakota's.:D

mmiller_34
October 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I could've said which school came first in the Dakota's.:D

Auggie? Who cares about them?

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Ouch. I give you that one.xnodx

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Back in the D2 days, Augustana got just as much - if not more - media coverage than SDSU & USD did. I wasn't until the D1 transition, and the addition of SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec, that SDSU started getting the bulk of the headlines.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Back in the D2 days, Augustana got just as much - if not more - media coverage than SDSU & USD did. I wasn't until the D1 transition, and the addition of SDSU beat writer Terry Vandrovec, that SDSU started getting the bulk of the headlines.

How much coverage does USD and SDSU get in the western part of the state? Rapid City is fairly far removed from both schools, yet is the second largest city.

ND faces the same thing with NDSU and UND being on the far eastern edge of the state. They seem to have more influence in Minnesota than areas west of Bismarck.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
How much coverage does USD and SDSU get in the western part of the state? Rapid City is fairly far removed from both schools, yet is the second largest city.

ND faces the same thing with NDSU and UND being on the far eastern edge of the state. They seem to have more influence in Minnesota then areas west of Bismarck.

I think in this case it's a matter of north and south. There is no major university in Sioux Falls, the Argus Leader shades heavily to SDSU, which is about 45 minutes away. Vermillion might as well be in Nebraska for all they care.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2012, 12:25 PM
ND faces the same thing with NDSU and UND being on the far eastern edge of the state. They seem to have more influence in Minnesota then areas west of Bismarck.

I always tell my friends any coverage we get west of the Missouri River is bonus.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I always tell my friends any coverage we get west of the Missouri River is bonus.

I have to believe it's the same deal in South Dakota.

Laker
October 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I think that SDSU has a huge advantage by WNAX 570 radio coverage. I can get it here, even at night. I remember listening to Jacks games many years ago. It has to be an advantage.

JackJD
October 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I think that SDSU has a huge advantage by WNAX 570 radio coverage. I can get it here, even at night. I remember listening to Jacks games many years ago. It has to be an advantage.

Laker has hit upon a significant point: WNAX coverage of Jackrabbit sports coverage nearly the entire state and in the WNAX fringe areas, there are affiliate stations carrying the broadcast. Example: I had to miss my first homegame in four season when SDSU hosted Missouri State. I was on the other side of the state (Spearfish) for a family wedding. I listened to the game on a Jackrabbit network affiliate, a station in Belle Fourche, SD. WNAX came in on the car radio but I couldn't sit in the car during the reception so I had a pocket radio that picked up the clear signal. Tomorrow I will be in the south part of Minneapolis and I will be able to catch the SDSU v UNI game on WNAX.

I think SDSU gets more attention from SD media simply because it has been doing pretty well since the D-1 transition. The Argus Leader (Sioux Falls daily) first assigned Chris Solari to cover the Jacks and he did a great job. He moved on and Terry Vandrovec was hired as the SDSU beat writer. He does an even better job of providing his readers with news and entertainment, the two functions of a top-notch sportswriter. But, if USD started winning, I think the media would give the 'Yotes more attention.

Rapid City's Journal gives at least basic news coverage to SDSU sports. There's a very strong, organized group of West-River Jackrabbits who meet for every away-game for watch parties at "Thirsty's" in Rapid City. I don't think USD alums are as organized.

Howard Wood has an excellent playing field. The stadium is undergoing renovations and it's a nice facility -- (some evidence of that is Lakes making fun of it).

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Western ND probably follows Montana (or Montana State) and western SD probably follows Wyoming than us schools in the east.

KUlawJack
October 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM

WNAX is great. Covers a huge portion of Iowa and Nebraska as well. I could even pick it up in Lawrence, KS.

KUlawJack
October 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Western ND probably follows Montana (or Montana State) and western SD probably follows Wyoming than us schools in the east.

I don't know about that. SDSU has a pretty strong west river following. There are obviously less than eastern SD, but I see lots of SDSU stuff in the Hills.

darell1976
October 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I don't know about that. SDSU has a pretty strong west river following. There are obviously less than eastern SD, but I see lots of SDSU stuff in the Hills.

More or less than Black Hills State or SD School of Mines. My money is on more.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM
More or less than Black Hills State or SD School of Mines. My money is on more.

Significantly more. SDSU has a strong following West River, especially in comparison to USD. Maybe this has something to do with SDSU being an Agricultural school? There isn't much on the West side of the state other than ranching/farming/outdoorsy stuff.

SDFS
October 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM

I grew up in SD and this statement is complete BS.

SDFS
October 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I lived in Rapid City for 5 years and both schools are well represented. The only advantage that SDSU has is the radio coverage and the Pom Pom beat writer. SDSU has done well in the D1 transition, but lets keep things in prespective SDSU fans.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I lived in Rapid City for 5 years and both schools are well represented. The only advantage that SDSU has is the radio coverage and the Pom Pom beat writer. SDSU has done well in the D1 transition, but lets keep things in prespective SDSU fans.

Sure, both are well represented, but are they equally represented? That is the question here... And the answer is No. My family is from Rapid City and I'm back there relatively often. I'd be willing to guess that the SDSU appearal outnumbers USD 5:1. Same story in Sioux Falls, if not an even larger discrepancy.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Anyway, back to this NDSU/USD game... Bison by 30+.

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM

With the rivalry between the citizens of the 2 states, I have a hard time believing that. Besides, the ND native population of western ND is pretty small (only 2 towns over 10,000 people). After browsing the sports sections of Williston and Dickinson's papers, the Dickinson paper has articles about the upcoming FCS playoff selection (originally printed in the Forum) and NDSU facing Glenn's USD team, as well as stories about UND v. Montana and a UND transfer named Lewis. There is also the requisite story about Sioux hockey, now that that season is in full swing. Dickinson also has some competition for coverage for the bigger state schools in DSU. Williston Herald apparently doesn't give 2 $h!ts about any of the big MT/ND schools.

SDFS
October 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Sure, both are well represented, but are they equally represented? That is the question here... And the answer is No. My family is from Rapid City and I'm back there relatively often. I'd be willing to guess that the SDSU appearal outnumbers USD 5:1. Same story in Sioux Falls, if not an even larger discrepancy.

I disagree with everything you have posted here.. but back to the thread and USD has a tough day tomorrow.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
With the rivalry between the citizens of the 2 states, I have a hard time believing that. Besides, the ND native population of western ND is pretty small (only 2 towns over 10,000 people). After browsing the sports sections of Williston and Dickinson's papers, the Dickinson paper has articles about the upcoming FCS playoff selection (originally printed in the Forum) and NDSU facing Glenn's USD team, as well as stories about UND v. Montana and a UND transfer named Lewis. There is also the requisite story about Sioux hockey, now that that season is in full swing. Dickinson also has some competition for coverage for the bigger state schools in DSU. Williston Herald apparently doesn't give 2 $h!ts about any of the big MT/ND schools.

There is a fairly decent following in Williston for Griz and I would assume MSU as well. Not saying it's more than NDSU or UND by any means but when I'm in Williston I do see Griz gear and am sort of surprised.

I have family there and I'm not talking about seeing them in Griz gear either. I think there are also some good sized Brawl of the Wild satellite parties there in Williston if I remember hearing correctly.

89rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Howard Wood Field is a city owned stadium, you know like the way the Fargo Dome is a city owned stadium. xnodx xlolx

89rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Fan support = media coverage. Since SDSU is bigger and has more fan support we have more media coverage. It is as simple as that.

Earlier the SD Board of Regents released gate receipts numbers for FY '11 for each school. SDSU's were $981,423 and for USD, $242,425.

The support isn't even close. xcoolx

MSUBobcat
October 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
There is a fairly decent following in Williston for Griz and I would assume MSU as well. Not saying it's more than NDSU or UND by any means but when I'm in Williston I do see Griz gear and am sort of surprised.

I have family there and I'm not talking about seeing them in Griz gear either. I think there are also some good sized Brawl of the Wild satellite parties there in Williston if I remember hearing correctly.

I was more referring to media coverage. Being only 20 miles from MT and the "largest" town for a long ways in NE MT, I'm sure some MT natives moved there, so you will see Griz & Cat gear, especially with the large number of MT people working in the oil field. This goes for alot of other states as well, with all the transplants in Williston from around the country. Might be an interesting addition to the FCS sighting thread if anyone on AGS lives in Williston.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Fan support = media coverage. Since SDSU is bigger and has more fan support we have more media coverage. It is as simple as that.

Earlier the SD Board of Regents released gate receipts numbers for FY '11 for each school. SDSU's were $981,423 and for USD, $242,425.

I'm sure SDFS strongly disagrees with these numbers as well... xlolx

344Johnson
October 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Western ND probably follows Montana (or Montana State) .

Now why would they do that? Even being in West ND they are still closer to Fargo and Grand Forks. I just generally assume they don't care too much.

LakesBison
October 19th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Sdsu v usd bitchslap fest ? Both lil town class b schools yawn.

Ok we left dak magic almost to suck falls

Is there A) good steakhouse and B) good night club? Thank you, we got bitches who wanna dance and spend our money.... thanks for input

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2012, 05:29 PM
yawn.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Is there A) good steakhouse and B) good night club? Thank you, we got bitches who wanna dance and spend our money.... thanks for input

Club David is probably right up your alley, Lakes...

BisonBabe
October 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Steakhouse http://carnavalbraziliangrill.com/

BisonFan02
October 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Steakhouse http://carnavalbraziliangrill.com/

This.....keep it on green!

344Johnson
October 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Lakes, weren't you married last year? Yet I see photos of you with significantly younger women or taking photos of significantly younger girls(maybe not more than a year or two older than me) getting drunk, now referring to them as bitches?

I am just confused.

LakesBison
October 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
344 sthu u need to mind your own bizness

thanks so much jacked and babe we are there

JumpinJackFlash
October 19th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Been living in Rapid City for a few years now. I can probably count the number of USD shirts I've seen on one hand. SDSU gear is much more prevalent. You can buy SDSU gear at a number of stores in town even including Menards (not sure if the fact that Menards sells SDSU gear is helping my argument - however, didn't see any USD gear at Menards).

Banged up Bison by 46. USD blows...

344Johnson
October 19th, 2012, 06:18 PM
344 sthu u need to mind your own bizness

thanks so much jacked and babe we are there

Holy goodness. Someone got real defensive real quick? So defensive that Lakes forgot to spell properly. Is Lakes ashamed of himself being the creepy old guy?

LakesBison
October 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Dude youre an idiot go away.

To the rest of you thanks for the advice I'm OUT b4 i go postal on a punk.

NDSU 31 yotes 10

Lakes 31 siiux falls 0

westdakotabison
October 19th, 2012, 09:10 PM

I know at least 20 couples that have season tickets to NDSU that drive at least 250 miles one way for the Bison games. I don't know anyone who has tickets to one of the Montana schools. Outside of UND hockey, doctors and lawyers, western North Dakota is about Bison football.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM

No way

I grew up in western ND. Bison/UND country all the way.

grayghost06
October 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I just hope you all ( NDSU) make the championship game. I'm sitting on 12 tix just in case my Dukes make it as I live 10 miles from the stadium. I need a fall back!

SDFS
October 19th, 2012, 11:20 PM

Seriously, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am from South Dakota and I have many friends who attended USD or SDSU. I just don't see this major shift toward SDSU. Sure SDSU is doing very well right now and I hope that they can continue to build on the current success. But, I believe that ticket receipts through the transition for SDSU were approximately - $650,000 on average and then a large bump took place when they moved to MVFC. So, I would say the current timeframe for your comparison is on your side. Because USD is just starting the MVFC/Summit League transition. I would expect that USD will close the gap over the next several years. NOTE: I don't see them completely closing the gap until the new facilities are in place. In general, I would like to see SDSU fans start to look beyond the in-state stuff and realize the real comparison for support is looking at your regional peers. (I believe that your coaches, administration and head PomPom have all said as much) Some numbers for MV/Big Sky/SL - teams:

Summit League:
North Dakota State University - $1,638,848
South Dakota State University - $940,546
University of South Dakota - $207,510
Western Illinois University - $126,932
Oakland University - $108,042
University of Missouri–Kansas City - $103,411
Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne - $100,267
Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis - $39,880

Big Sky:
University of Montana - $4,690,373
University of North Dakota - $3,576,178
Montana State University - $1,632,988
University of Northern Colorado - $348,659

MV:
Wichita State University - $3,995,492
Southern Illinois University - $1,724,207
Missouri State University - $1,650,667
University of Northern Iowa - $1,284,734
Illinois State University - $1,188,227
Indiana State University - $484,160

SDFS
October 19th, 2012, 11:25 PM

I'm sure SDFS strongly disagrees with these numbers as well... xlolx

I just don't want to waste my time with someone counting sweatshirts and hats at the mall.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM

NDSU was champion of the region in which I lived, that being said... people didn't care to the same extent they do here. Most people out west didn't give a **** about any school. If they did give a **** at all, it was about NDSU and secondly it was about UND hockey (Not UND, just UND's hockey).

Most of the people in my area attended DSU/BSC or nothing, if they attended UND or NDSU or another larger/more prestigious school, typically they didn't come back to the area. I left before the oil really started so its possible that has changed a little, but I doubt it.

Of my high school class: 2 western ND (small town[no education beyond HS, 2 year MRS degree]), 3 western ND (Dickinson[engineer from NDSU, Nurse from DSU, no education beyond HS]), 2 Bismarck[2 year degrees], 1 Philly [Audio Engineer from an institute in NYC], 1 Chicago [Teacher from Moody bible institute], 1 North central ND(Small town[Ag ed from NDSU]), 3 Fargo[2 no education beyond HS, still an NDSU student], 1 Dublin/Hamburg [degree from HAW hamburg]

I had a tiny class of 14(11), but that size is/was representative of western ND. Three went to NDSU, none went to UND, 2 of the 3 that went to NDSU don't care too much about NDSU. The 4 that live in western NoDak, one went to NDSU and cares moderately but not loads.

(is the number that graduated) one dropped out a semester early, two transfered half a year before graduation after going to school in my class their whole lives more or less. Perhaps this snippet of an enthnography will give someone from outside the region a minor inkling of the retained native population of western ND and their appreciation for NDSU/UND.

People do go to UND, it just didn't happen from my class, one could probably substitute UND for NDSU when reading and it would still hold true for the most part.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 01:13 AM
What do Joe Mays and an exploding propane tank have in common?

Bison horns, baby!

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2011/12/joemaysbison.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s480x480/9273_3679153860162_2117512603_n.jpg

(Propane picture taken from Overheard)

NorCalJack
October 20th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Well that is a 4.5 to 1 ratio of SDSU to USD fans. You don't need to count sweatshirts or hats at the mall.

frozennorth
October 20th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Seriously, I don't have a dog in this fight. I am from South Dakota and I have many friends who attended USD or SDSU. I just don't see this major shift toward SDSU. Sure SDSU is doing very well right now and I hope that they can continue to build on the current success. But, I believe that ticket receipts through the transition for SDSU were approximately - $650,000 on average and then a large bump took place when they moved to MVFC. So, I would say the current timeframe for your comparison is on your side. Because USD is just starting the MVFC/Summit League transition. I would expect that USD will close the gap over the next several years. NOTE: I don't see them completely closing the gap until the new facilities are in place. In general, I would like to see SDSU fans start to look beyond the in-state stuff and realize the real comparison for support is looking at your regional peers. (I believe that your coaches, administration and head PomPom have all said as much) Some numbers for MV/Big Sky/SL - teams:

Summit League:

Big Sky:
University of Montana - $4,690,373
Montana State University - $1,632,988
University of Northern Colorado - $348,659

MV:
Wichita State University - $3,995,492
Southern Illinois University - $1,724,207
Missouri State University - $1,650,667
University of Northern Iowa - $1,284,734
Illinois State University - $1,188,227
Indiana State University - $484,160

what are these numbers?

darell1976
October 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
No way

I grew up in western ND. Bison/UND country all the way.

Well its good that they support UND/NDSU. I don't know many people out there so I didn't know if they lean more towards Montana/MSU or cheer for the in-state schools of NDSU/UND. Thanks for clearing that up. As for the game....NDSU 38 USD 3.

SDFS
October 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Well that is a 4.5 to 1 ratio of SDSU to USD fans. You don't need to count sweatshirts or hats at the mall.

I didn't - not much of a mall guy

SDFS
October 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
what are these numbers?
Total - Gate for all sports..

I think the reason why you are seeing this game in Sioux Falls is based on the following comparison:

Montana – MSU, UM =$ 6,323,361
North Dakota – NDSU, UND = $5,215,026
South Dakota – SDSU, USD = $1,148,056

USD is trying to grow the largest market in South Dakota.

Again, best of luck the Jacks and Yotes today. I am off to tailgate with the Griz in town.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Leaving for SF. Go bison!

89rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
North Dakota

South Dakota

You wrote a lot more but your base point I guess is that UND is tops in North Dakota and SDSU is tops in South Dakota. xholyx
And it isn't even close.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM

And I estimated 5:1 with all the time I've spend counting shirts/hats in the mall, so this confirms my statistical analysis! xnodx Well, its back to the Food Court for me - have a good day watching football everyone! xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Holy ****. You would think this was the SDSU vs. USD thread.

No_Skill
October 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM

Now we know how those whioux fans feel when we invade their threads. :D

frozennorth
October 20th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Total - Gate for all sports..

I think the reason why you are seeing this game in Sioux Falls is based on the following comparison:

Montana – MSU, UM =$ 6,323,361
North Dakota – NDSU, UND = $5,215,026
South Dakota – SDSU, USD = $1,148,056

USD is trying to grow the largest market in South Dakota.

Again, best of luck the Jacks and Yotes today. I am off to tailgate with the Griz in town.
so summit numbers wouldn't include mvfc or wcha numbers, right?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM

When this all started yesterday or the day before I was think as No Skil that it's kind of funny that NDSU/UND guys can get a feel of having something doesn't have a thing to do with their thread taken over for no apparent reason but bitching.

The fact that it was started by Lakes is just an additional bonus.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
When this all started yesterday or the day before I was think as No Skil that it's kind of funny that NDSU/UND guys can get a feel of having something doesn't have a thing to do with their thread taken over for no apparent reason but bitching.

The fact that it was started by Lakes is just an additional bonus.

Come on, is there anything more BORING than USD and SDSU? At least NDSU is a national power. I'm unfortunately going to have to side with Lakes on this one and say that nobody north of Rosholt or south of Yankton really cares at all about this.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Come on, is there anything more BORING than USD and SDSU? At least NDSU is a national power. I'm unfortunately going to have to side with Lakes on this one and say that nobody north of Rosholt or south of Yankton really cares at all about this.

And yet, some of you think we give a flying crap about UND/NDSU (not you) and that is any less boring for most all of us. We don't care about what your petty differences or who covers what or what coach x did or said 10-20-30 yrs. ago what senator x said in that same time span or which dome is better because it was paid for by a city or a rich guy that has some controversy in his life.

Just saying, this is a much better fight from my view because I don't have to see Al Carlson's name and all the rest of the stupic, played out bull****.

Again, I know that is not you specifically but the arguments in general.

Ginsbach
October 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM

I grew up 14 miles north of Rosholt and can confirm this. That being said, of the 28 people I graduated with we all went to NDSU, NDSCS, Mayville, or Jamestown for our undergrad. No one went to SDSU, USD, or UND despite being right near the ND/SD border on I29.

Also, Lakes, I hope you didn't cause too much trouble out at Dakota Magic last night. My grandma is out there every Friday and I don't think her old heart could take the level of intensity you bring. :D

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I grew up 14 miles north of Rosholt and can confirm this. That being said, of the 28 people I graduated with we all went to NDSU, NDSCS, Mayville, or Jamestown for our undergrad. No one went to SDSU, USD, or UND despite being right near the ND/SD border on I29.

Also, Lakes, I hope you didn't cause too much trouble out at Dakota Magic last night. My grandma is out there every Friday and I don't think her old heart could take the level of intensity you bring. :D

I actually went to SDSU for a year and never thought about going to a football game.

jacksfan29
October 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I actually went to SDSU for a year and never thought about going to a football game.

When? If it was during the Hensel period I can understand why. If it was during the Daly run you missed some very good football. If it was after the move up you obviously have a problem, you ran home every weekend. However, I bet you attended some BB games? The reality is that before the move up SDSU was always been more of a BB school. As an NDSU fan you should know that. For decades, when SDSU and USD (and sometimes UND) were competing for conference crowns NDSU were, well; UNO wearing green and gold.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
When? If it was during the Hensel period I can understand why. If it was during the Daly run you missed some very good football. If it was after the move up you obviously have a problem, you ran home every weekend. However, I bet you attended some BB games? The reality is that before the move up SDSU was always been more of a BB school. As an NDSU fan you should know that. For decades, when SDSU and USD (and sometimes UND) were competing for conference crowns NDSU were, well; UNO wearing green and gold.

Guilty. Studied my *** off too, got a 4.0

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Bison 26 USD 0. 1 min left in the 2nd. Lets say the Yotes are trying hard, but not getting real far.

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
40-0 Bison 3rd qrt

NDB
October 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
USD has 47 yards of offense. -1 rushing. 86 penalty yards.

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM
USD has 47 yards of offense. -1 rushing. 86 penalty yards.

Ouch

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Great job by the Bison offense and defense.

Pathetic effort by USD.

NDB
October 20th, 2012, 08:54 PM
53-0...

NDB
October 20th, 2012, 08:58 PM
USD 0-11 on 3rd down.

bisonboone11
October 20th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Seemed like the Bison were a little upset about last week and took it out on USD. 54-0. USD had 76 yards of offense.

Drblankstare
October 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Yotes are bad Bison are pissed. Dangerous combo

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
54-0...complete domination by the Bison on both sides of the ball.

USD.....pathetic effort.

Laker
October 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I grew up 14 miles north of Rosholt and can confirm this.

Did you ever go to visit White Rock, SD? I've been through there when the sign said, Population 1. The next time it doubled. xsmiley_wix

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM

I think it included all gate receipt for the school.

You wrote a lot more but your base point I guess is that UND is tops in North Dakota and SDSU is tops in South Dakota. xholyx
And it isn't even close.

As far as pure revenue, UND has teh hockies. Lots of money brought in. Lots of money put into it. Lower average attendence in essentially every sport I believe.

USD and SDSU don't have a situation like that.

USD looked bad tonight. And good Lord, seemed like no two of their players were from the same state. It is called a pipeline! Learn that!

HandoEX
October 21st, 2012, 01:22 AM
Yikes, that was bad. USD looked like 5-7 touchdown dogs at CAS. Bison are banged up...#1 & #2 WR out, starting TE out, and still 54 on the scoreboard. Welcome to the Valley, Coyotes.

Thanks to Sioux Falls/USD for the great gameday experience and please get the streaker on scholarship ASAP. He doubled up USD's entire offensive production in one gamechanging, 200+ yard scramble.

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 01:38 AM

And it isn't even close.

Thanks to Sioux Falls/USD for the great gameday experience and please get the streaker on scholarship ASAP. He doubled up USD's entire offensive production in one gamechanging, 200+ yard scramble.[/QUOTE]

The steaker seemed surprised that he wasn't chased down immediately. I loved the 5-10 seconds where it seemed like he figured he should have been grabbed already so he decides to take off the other direction and nearly made an epic getaway.

Scholarship money necessary. Full ride. Any Yote fans, find out who this dude is, I want to send him $5.

Twentysix
October 21st, 2012, 02:59 AM
No idea how out of context this is, but this is the way it was printed in the news paper.

The turning point in the game, Glenn said, was “when the bus pulled up. They have a way better football team.”

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM

Brock Jensen
Sam Ojuri
Billy Turner
Cole Jirik
Travis Beck
Grant Olson
Marcus Williams

We didn't deserve to win that day but it wasn't because we got beat by a better team but we beat ourselves. You can't throw three picks with two of them being returned for TDs and expect to win. Remember Indana State didn't score a offensive touchdown. I give them credit for having a great Defense but they have a suspect offense.

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
No idea how out of context this is, but this is the way it was printed in the news paper.

maybe a little too honest eh Joe?

Jacked_Rabbit
October 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM

Sounds like Glenn is trying to deflect all blame from his coaching staff, not taking any responsibility for the loss. Not sure how I'd feel if I were a player on USD's team and read those comments made by my head coach. He basically just said his players suck.

I'm just glad Glenn isn't running the program of the team I cheer for...

344Johnson
October 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Sounds like Glenn is trying to deflect all blame from his coaching staff, not taking any responsibility for the loss. Not sure how I'd feel if I were a player on USD's team and read those comments made by my head coach. He basically just said his players suck.

I'm just glad Glenn isn't running the program of the team I cheer for...

Well he inherited a team returning how many starters? Real young group yeah? They'll be fine in the long run I'm sure. He has a good reputation for doing well doesn't he?

Laker
October 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure if it was out of context, but at 53-0 it sounds like an accurate assessment.

Did SD4Ever fall under the 'yote train? I haven't heard anything from him on this.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure if it was out of context, but at 53-0 it sounds like an accurate assessment.

Did SD4Ever fall under the 'yote train? I haven't heard anything from him on this.

I saw SD4ever was crying on the Argus Leader's Live Chat of the game yesterday. He was really happy that SDSU lost to UNI, but was saying that NDSU was getting all of the calls and that the game was OVER once it was 14-0.

Like most USD fans, he will jump off the bandwagon in a hurry. I double we'll hear from him on here any time soon.

Jacked_Rabbit
October 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Well he inherited a team returning how many starters? Real young group yeah? They'll be fine in the long run I'm sure. He has a good reputation for doing well doesn't he?

Isn't he like 95 years old though? I don't think he plans on coaching for the long team. I think this was more of a good will donation back to the University that he once played for (in the 1940's). I'd be surprised if he is still coaching 2 or 3 years from now.

And to degrade your players, telling them that they aren't any good? Probably not the way I'd be trying to build a team, but whatever floats his boat...

OBC
October 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM
That was a total beat down yesterday. USD is not a good team and on top of that looked like they did not belong on the field with NDSU. Totally embarrassing. Even at USDs best - that would have been at least a 28 point loss. The way they did play they were fortunate not to lose 70-0.

The only good thing yesterday was getting to meet some really fun NDSU fans. Really good - excited, fun natured people. Hope the people of USD took notice. They are a standard of excellence that should be what a program strives. Good luck the rest of the year. See you next year in Fargo.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
Isn't he like 95 years old though? I don't think he plans on coaching for the long team. I think this was more of a good will donation back to the University that he once played for (in the 1940's). I'd be surprised if he is still coaching 2 or 3 years from now.

And to degrade your players, telling them that they aren't any good? Probably not the way I'd be trying to build a team, but whatever floats his boat...

Jesus Christ the way some of you guys talk about needing to protect everything that is said all the time is f'n ridiculous. He said what he saw as true since NDSU is widely known as a big group of brutes and well coached. Joe was saying the "eye test" didn't look good from the start...big deal. We really need to worry about everybody's feelings that someone says something that is true in their estimation? We need to worry about everybody's feelings when something is obvious to a coach and that his team needs to be bigger, faster, more well coached to compete at the top?

Joe is a very humorous guy and I am sure said that in a well intentioned way with humor as in "Oh ****, these guys are big, fast, etc." and is chided for being truthful/humorous because someone's feelings might be hurt?

BTW, I am sure Joe fits in pretty well in the age group of FCS coaches. He's in his early 60's as far as I know.

frozennorth
October 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM
born in 1949, so 63 probably

sgt smash
October 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
So I googled the ArgusLeader website to make sure I got the correct page as I wanted to see the quote from Glenn. The results were listed with obituaries listed then sports. I almost figured I would find something in the obits about the game.

OBC
October 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Jesus Christ the way some of you guys talk about needing to protect everything that is said all the time is f'n ridiculous. He said what he saw as true since NDSU is widely known as a big group of brutes and well coached. Joe was saying the "eye test" didn't look good from the start...big deal. We really need to worry about everybody's feelings that someone says something that is true in their estimation? We need to worry about everybody's feelings when something is obvious to a coach and that his team needs to be bigger, faster, more well coached to compete at the top?

Joe is a very humorous guy and I am sure said that in a well intentioned way with humor as in "Oh ****, these guys are big, fast, etc." and is chided for being truthful/humorous because someone's feelings might be hurt?

BTW, I am sure Joe fits in pretty well in the age group of FCS coaches. He's in his early 60's as far as I know.

Some SDSU fans like to pile on. It is not enough for SDSU's program to do well,some of them have to make sure and get their pot shots in on USD.

Drblankstare
October 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM
No coach in the Valley wants to beat NDSU more than Joe Glenn, they have a lot of history together. He's not deflecting blame, just trying to be honest. IMO

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
No coach in the Valley wants to beat NDSU more than Joe Glenn, they have a lot of history together. He's not deflecting blame, just trying to be honest. IMO

Anybody that has any sort of knowledge or experience with him would absolutely know that he would not ever take his or his coaches share of the blame and deflect it onto others.

Laker
October 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Anybody that has any sort of knowledge or experience with him would absolutely know that he would not ever take his or his coaches share of the blame and deflect it onto others.

xthumbsupx Correct. Two D-2 titles, one D-1AA (yah that is what they called it then)title. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Glenn_%28American_football%29

darell1976
October 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Most likely USD will end up with one win...are they the next Northern Colorado (Joe Glenn's former team). The MVFC is a lot tougher than the GWFC maybe last year was an illusion. They go from 1 quarter away from a share of the conference title, and was ranked last year to 1-6? Yikes.

DJKyR0
October 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder where Coyotes4ever got to. I want to hear his thoughts on the game.

LLLLLOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!12

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Photo Gallery:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/451-gallery-north-dakota-state-at-south-dakota

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
USD was tough in the middle of the field on defense (at least I hope they were) so that might be something to build on. And, hey, it took NDSU a couple years to have a decent season in the Missouri Valley too.

Anyway, it is good to be in the same conference as USD again.

Odd stat: This is not the first time NDSU has beaten USD 54-0. It happened 105 years ago too.

BISON Thunder
October 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
It was great being in Sioux Falls again for a college football game. Great weather and great fans from both sides. Had some fun conversations with USD followers...patience, your time will come. To the Coyote fan I met after the game at the bar in the Sheraton...thanks for the headache yesterday morning.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
I think it included all gate receipt for the school.
As far as pure revenue, UND has teh hockies. Lots of money brought in. Lots of money put into it. Lower average attendence in essentially every sport I believe.
USD and SDSU don't have a situation like that.!

I don't think there's any way that the Summit League numbers can include football ticket sales for those that carry football...
Summit League:

Western hasn't been great lately, so last year we only averaged 8,357 per home football game (41,786 total for the season). If half of those are students and other non-paying attendees (recruits, donors, etc.), that's ~20k people. Our ticket prices range from $10 (for general admission to a regular home game) up to $20 (for reserved seating for Homecoming). If all of those 20k people only bought the $10 tickets, that's still $200k in gate receipts for football alone, so I don't see how $126k total gate receipts for all sports is possible.

Twentysix
October 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I don't think there's any way that the Summit League numbers can include football ticket sales for those that carry football...
Summit League:

Western hasn't been great lately, so last year we only averaged 8,357 per home football game (41,786 total for the season). If half of those are students and other non-paying attendees (recruits, donors, etc.), that's ~20k people. Our ticket prices range from $10 (for general admission to a regular home game) up to $20 (for reserved seating for Homecoming). If all of those 20k people only bought the $10 tickets, that's still $200k in gate receipts for football alone, so I don't see how $126k total gate receipts for all sports is possible.

Yeah, even 10,000 tickets a game for 6 NDSU games at $20 each is 1.2 mil. I would have to agree that this does not include football.