PDA

View Full Version : Southland Week 8 & Playoffs?

BEAR
October 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Southland games for week 8; make your predictions!

Nicholls St. at Stephen F. Austin 3:00 PM

Lamar at Central Arkansas 6:00 PM

McNeese St. at Sam Houston St. 7:00 PM

Northwestern at BYE

Southeastern at BYE

Standings:

Southeastern La. 3 - 0

Central Arkansas 3 - 1

Sam Houston St. 2 - 1

Stephen F. Austin 1 - 1

McNeese St. 1 - 2

Northwestern St. 1 - 2

Lamar 0 - 2

Nicholls St. 0 - 2

Playoff predictions: If I am wrong on my stats, please feel free to insult me. xlolx

UCA- Lamar, at SELA, NWST, BYE, E. ILL. - Looks like a favorable schedule now for the Bears. Win out and they will be 9-2 with 8 division I wins and conference (co)title.

SAM- McNeese, at Lamar, SELA, at NWST, at Texas A&M. Tougher schedule but still can win (share) conference.

SFA- Nicholls, at McNeese, Lamar, at SELA, NWST- one more "tough" game at McNeese but could share conference with UCA/SHSU.

McNeese- at Sam, SFA, at Nicholls, Lamar - Toughest road yet to come with 2 conference losses already. High probability of not making it.

SELA- UCA, at Sam, SFA, at Nicholls, - Very high probability for multiple losses coming up. Highest probability of not making it..but still unknown.

Others- not likely

Scenario:

UCA, SAM and SFA win out. ALL with 1 conference loss and all conference co-champs.

SFA with 6 division I wins has been out of the playoffs the longest so they would likely get the autobid.

UCA beat SAM and has 8 division I wins and should be top 15. Do they get in?

SAM has 7 division I wins but will be top ten most likely. Are they in?

What's amazing is SFA, a very good team will have 6 division I wins and get the autobid. Is that the case?

Still more games to play and ANYTHING could happen so this is just ONE scenario. Rip away....xlolx

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2012, 01:43 PM
If SFA, UCA + SHSU win out... SFA gets autobid due to longest time since berth. If SHSU wins next four games in SLC play while losing to TAMU, they'll be in as a 8-3. Not sure how brackets would fall, but do think SFA at six Div I wins is most likely for first round game at Big Sky foe.

KATS_21
October 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think that Sam will not lose another SLC game this year, but I do expect SFA to. I think the 2 teams getting in this year will be UCA and Sam.

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Bump.

Big game for Sam this weekend with McNeese. Any thoughts? C'mon McNeese fans, you haven't closed shop already! xlolx

Sammy94
October 15th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Stephen F. Austin over Nicholls

Central Arkansas over Lamar

Sam Houston St. over McNeese

Playoff predictions: Sam losses to A&M ends up 8-3, SFA and UCA win out. All 3 in the playoffs.

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'll take SFA, Sam and UCA

I think SFA can win out. We did it last year and we were a decidedly worse team.

McNeese72
October 15th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Bump.

Big game for Sam this weekend with McNeese. Any thoughts? C'mon McNeese fans, you haven't closed shop already! xlolx

We have mental wounds now to go along with all our physical ones. I don't know if we can recover in time to give Sam a game.

Probably the most interesting question for McNeese fans this week will be which defensive player will wear Malcolm Bronson's #34 jersey this week. :)

Doc

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
We have mental wounds now to go along with all our physical ones. I don't know if we can recover in time to give Sam a game.

Probably the most interesting question for McNeese fans this week will be which defensive player will wear Malcolm Bronson's #34 jersey this week. :)

Doc

Well please don't consider us a "rival". All we have in common is a metal bowl full or rice. xlolx . After reading the McNeese board I gotta shake my head. We don't "own" McNeese nor have we EVER thought that. Not enough years in the conference to consider either "rival" or "dominance" with McNeese or anybody for that matter.

UCA over Lamar
Sam over McNeese
SFA over Nicholls

Might be one of the easiest yet scariest picks all year. xlolx

Dane96
October 15th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Stephen F. Austin over Nicholls

Central Arkansas over Lamar

Sam Houston St. over McNeese

Playoff predictions: Sam losses to A&M ends up 8-3, SFA and UCA win out. All 3 in the playoffs.

At this rate... I am not sure the S. Land gets anything more than maybe 2 teams in. If you really look at resumes...not all too impressive.

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
At this rate... I am not sure the S. Land gets anything more than maybe 2 teams in. If you really look at resumes...not all too impressive.

Which 2 would that be?

SFA in the autobid with 6 D1 wins?
SAM in the top ten?
UCA in the top 15 with wins over SAM, McNeese and 8 D1 wins?

Dane96
October 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I honestly don't know.

But I do think the Southland is having a weak year.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Speaking of not impressive. I think Albany fits right in there.

danefan
October 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Speaking of not impressive. I think Albany fits right in there.

Albany has ZERO chance of an at-large.

No signature wins outside of Maine. Need to win the NEC. No argument from any Albany fan will differ.

Nice try though.

Dane96
October 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
McNeese75-

Ok...well, I guess that should go in the Albany thread.

So...if someone from the CAA, as an example, has a comment are you going to try to rebuke their opinion by telling them their mom sucks too?

And no one would ever think Albany would get an at-large.

But since we are on the topic, who exactly has ANY SORT OF AT-LARGE resume in the Southland. There is nothing impressive in the OOC...nothing. So you are beating up each other.

Signature Southland Conference OOC wins: Murray State; Texas Southern; Middle Tennessee (a so-so team FBS); and Weber.

McNeese owns two of those: Weber and MTSU.

Weber and Texas Southern are g-d awful (I think they have 1 win combined). Murray State is meh.

So...the sig win is MTSU.

Why is this conference getting three bids again?

McNeese75
October 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
McNeese75-

Ok...well, I guess that should go in the Albany thread.

So...if someone from the CAA, as an example, has a comment are you going to try to rebuke their opinion by telling them their mom sucks too?

And no one would ever think Albany would get an at-large.

But since we are on the topic, who exactly has ANY SORT OF AT-LARGE resume in the Southland. There is nothing impressive in the OOC...nothing. So you are beating up each other.

Signature Southland Conference OOC wins: Murray State; Texas Southern; Middle Tennessee (a so-so team FBS); and Weber.

McNeese owns two of those: Weber and MTSU.

Weber and Texas Southern are g-d awful (I think they have 1 win combined). Murray State is meh.

So...the sig win is MTSU.

Why is this conference getting three bids again?

Sorry, nice try but I never said they would.

Yep, Weber is having a terrible year although the probable #1 team this year was glad to get out of there with a victory.

If SFA wins out I think there is an outside chance at 3 getting in (IMO) but if McNeese beats either or both SFA or SHSU then no way.

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
It's not a matter of does the SLC get three teams, but rather who do you leave out if Sam, UCA and SFA win out?

You couldn't leave SFA out because they would get the autobid.
How could you leave UCA out with 8 D1 wins and victories over #3 Sam and #15 McNeese.
How do you leave Sam out if they get a top 10, share the SLC and have 7 dI wins.

Hopefully the next few games will end all speculation.

Dane96
October 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
You leave them out because polls are polls.

The committee will look at everything.

Sammy94
October 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
If SFA wins out I think there is an outside chance at 3 getting in (IMO) but if McNeese beats either or both SFA or SHSU then no way.

Exactly. The only way 3 get in is all 3 win out in the SLC. If that happens, SFA I believe will win the SLC bid because of the tie breaker of longest time without a playoff appearance. So that leaves UCA and Sam. Sam will likely lose to A&M but will most likely be a top 20 team. Will they be left out at 8-3? Unlikely. So will UCA who beat Sam be left out? Perhaps SELA will beat one or more of these 3 and this scenario won't happen.

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I honestly don't know.

But I do think the Southland is having a weak year.

If SFA wins out, then you have 3 teams that are 7-4 or better at the end of the year. McNeese could be 7-4 also.

Not bad for a conference that usually does not have that.

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
You leave them out because polls are polls.

The committee will look at everything.

True, and the committee will look at SFA getting the auto bid and two top 20 teams in the SLC (assuming all 3 win out)

As you said, they look at everything.

msupokes1
October 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Which 2 would that be?

SFA in the autobid with 6 D1 wins?
SAM in the top ten?
UCA in the top 15 with wins over SAM, McNeese and 8 D1 wins?

I wouldn't completely write McNeese out of the scenarios yet. We have a 1 point loss to UCA, a team that also beat Sam. We have a 1 point loss to SELU, a team the other 3 have not played yet. If McNeese wins next week, a game in which I think we match up better than others think, they could turn this thing around. I am still very disappointed in last week and have no confidence in the coaching staff but I do believe we have a good team. If somehow we could win out, we would be 9-2. No way we get left out at 9-2.

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Can you imagine the anger of some SLC fans when their team gets left out...and yes I know that could include UCA. Geez..Southland Strong appears to be more than a slogan. xlolx

lionsrking2
October 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

BEAR
October 15th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Can't leave out the Lions! xlolx

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I am not sold on the lions yet. They've played the weaker part of their schedule.

However I like those kids in Hammond

LIONFAN07
October 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Yep McNeese is weak. Yea right. I know they had some injuries but everybody does and I thought they had some great players out on the field. Great speed on the field. I know we only beat them by one point. Oh wait UCA only beat them by one. I know we weren't very good in the non conference schedule but we were trying to find our way with the new staff. Not to mention we were the only team in the Southland not play a non D1 game. We actually haven't played a nonD1 since 09. Not saying other schedules were weak because they weren't. SDSU who has only one loss to Kansas and UTMartin is having a great year and they played well at home. We will see how it plays out.

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Yep McNeese is weak. Yea right. I know they had some injuries but everybody does and I thought they had some great players out on the field. Great speed on the field. I know we only beat them by one point. Oh wait UCA only beat them by one. I know we weren't very good in the non conference schedule but we were trying to find our way with the new staff. Not to mention we were the only team in the Southland not play a non D1 game. We actually haven't played a nonD1 since 09. Not saying other schedules were weak because they weren't. SDSU who has only one loss to Kansas and UTMartin is having a great year and they played well at home. We will see how it plays out.

I meant NWSULA and Lamar.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
xpopcornxxpopcornxxpopcornx

The Lions can only be getting more confident every week. The talent is there, the confidence is building :D That "cakewalk" the Kats, Jacks and Osos were looking forward to might become a little rocky

lionsrking2
October 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Can't leave out the Lions! xlolx

Is kinda funny isn't itxsmiley_wix

TheRevSFA
October 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Imagine if Simmie Yarborough was still there. Wow

BEAR
October 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Nah. Not funny as in haha..but funny as in 'whodathunk". The teams that haven't gotten through the gauntlet yet might actually have an easier time than most think. I bet McNeese, UCA, Sam and SFA are all beat up and have multiple players injured. I know Conque was talking about suiting up for the oline against the Cowboys because of injuries...xlolx

TheRevSFA
October 16th, 2012, 09:25 AM
SFA is relatively injury free. *knock on wood*

Sammy94
October 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
However I like those kids in Hammond

With UCA and SFA having to play in Hammond, I may start liking those kids also.

BEAR
October 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
With UCA and SFA having to play in Hammond, I may start liking those kids also.

I'm sure you might....xlolx

lionsrking2
October 16th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Nah. Not funny as in haha..but funny as in 'whodathunk". The teams that haven't gotten through the gauntlet yet might actually have an easier time than most think. I bet McNeese, UCA, Sam and SFA are all beat up and have multiple players injured. I know Conque was talking about suiting up for the oline against the Cowboys because of injuries...xlolx

Perhaps you weren't aware that we are down to two true freshmen at tailback, one who played the first three games of the year as a backup CB and the other who had his redshirt pulled two weeks ago ... our best LB is dinged plus a couple of others have missed time and are getting limited snaps - not to mention we have three OL playing hurt because we don't have anybody else ... on top of that, we lost five WR's who were expected to play significant snaps prior to the season starting ... other than that, we're healthy as a horse! xlolx

GeauxLions94
October 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Imagine if Simmie Yarborough was still there. Wow

... and Brandon Collins (on Giants practice squad) and Kory Theodore ... between those three, we lost over 180 receptions, 2,200 yards in receiving and 13 TDs.

BEAR
October 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
SELA- UCA, at Sam, SFA, at Nicholls

Alright...if you can get through that schedule wihout a loss, there isn't ANYBODY on this board that will debate the Lions going this year.
UCA will be a tossup at best.
Sam is on fire and AT their house. Geez.
SFA has so much offense that even if they don't defend you, they will outscore you.
Nicholls may not be the best, but they gave UCA one heck of a fight until halftime.

It's 3/4 on the gauntlet that's all I'm saying and if you're as banged up as you say you are, then the wins against NWST etc should have helped rest you up. Just be prepared to see a different level of football when you play those last four games then what you saw against the other half of the SLC is all I'm saying. I've seen ALL of those teams..and they may be playing hurt but their fight will win close games. Just ask 'em.

LIONFAN07
October 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I agree these next 4 will be tough games. But for the Lions to not be in the conversation for the title is crazy. We could go 2-2 1-3 or even 0-4 in our final games. But right now we deserve respect and this thread made it sound like a three horse race. These games will be decided on the field which will be great. The best team will win the league in the end.

Sammy94
October 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
But right now we deserve respect and this thread made it sound like a three horse race.

Get to .500 and win one or more of the next 3 games and the Lions may get some respect.

LIONFAN07
October 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Get to .500 and win one or more of the next 3 games and the Lions may get some respect.

Well if we would have a played a non D1 this year like everybody else in the league did we would probably be 4-3 rather than 3-4. But we had two FBS teams and two top 25 FCS teams. So it is what it is. On the field will determine the outcome which is the best thing.

Sam_Kats
October 17th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Bingo.

Sammy94
October 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM
On the field will determine the outcome which is the best thing.

Exactly.
I guess we will come back to this thread in a few weeks to see if everyone was wrong or right about the SLC being a 3 horse race. Best of luck to the Lions. I will be one of their biggest fans until they come to Huntsville.

katstrapper
October 18th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Anyone who follows the Southland Conference knows that anything can happen on any given week. Who would have thought SE La would be 3-0 in conference? Who thought SFA could still be in the hunt for a share of the SLC title ? Look for some upsets in the coming weeks. Teams like Nicholls St will sneak up on people sometimes and do the extraordinary. Only thing Kats need to do is win out the remaining SLC games and let things fall as they may. I do believe if Kats win out they will be in the playoffs.